thelerner

The art, science and practices of Good Sleep

I hope it is OK to ask for help with the opposite – sleeping less.

For quite some time I've been sleeping for 10-12 hours per night.

I usually set my alarm clock so that I will sleep for 8 hours.

When the alarm goes off I am often quite well rested, but somehow mentally I'm just not interested in getting out off bed.

In the evening I can be very determined to rise early the next morning, but when it's time to get up the next morning I almost always lack the willpower to follow through.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

What worked for me was finding work that forced me out of bed between 5am and 6am. I would start at 7am and work through until 7pm. By the time you get home, with such limited time on your hands, you don't mess about. Get in, eat, and do whatever needs to be done before you have to go to bed and repeat.

Of course, I would't say it's a good life. A bit extreme...but no harm in getting something into your life that gets you out of bed. Even if it's a morning class or something.

• Like 3

Waking up early (usually before 5) is something that I have gotten in the habit of in the past couple of years. I go to bed when I feel tired (about 9), if I wait too long, I get a 'second wind', and it can be hours before I am able to fall asleep, if at all.

Being on and sticking to (as life permits) a sleep schedule has helped me tremendously in the quality of sleep I get.

Do you have a day schedule too, Kar3n? Like a routine? I can only imagine that helps...

• Like 1

Do you have a day schedule too, Kar3n? Like a routine? I can only imagine that helps...

My days usually revolve around the schedules of my family and business, respectively. ;)

I fit in some some time at the gym, some energy work with friends, meditation, some community service and some down time when I can, but I can not say that I have a set daily routine other than what is dictated by my domestic and professional roles.

• Like 2

Another insomnia thread :)

Contrary to Aetherous (and lots of people's advice including the chinese medicine clinic) what works for me is watching TV in bed. Something that I actually enjoy too.

Reasons being that I am in my most calm state then because I'm enjoying what I'm watching, and the reverse psychology of "I gotta stay awake for this" has the adverse effect!

Switching off to technology etc just made me fidgety and irritable. I tried too hard with herbs and breathing exercises but the method that worked was so simple.

I don't get up in the middle of the night anymore either. No longer needing the toilet at 3am etc...my job role change seems to have taken all these subconscious anxieties away.

+1

Reverse psychology and screentime in bed are awesome also, i read right up until my eyes fall closed, it my cozy-ritual nr 1.

The fidgeting and irritation spikes for me too, screens and books and comics help.

Ideas get written down in detail (places them outside of my head).

When i was talking about catching the train of sleep i meant that if you're just going to toss and turn wide awake in bed in a dark room all that does is associate the emotional state to the physical sensation of being in bed in a dark room.

Its better to spend that time playing a video game, reading, drawing, listening to something with your light on and perhaps in an easy-chair or couch. When you're starting to feel good again let it build a little and try lying down again. If the unease/thoughts/ideas/restlessness picks up, leave bed and do some more "out of bed relaxation".

And dont be afraid to give up.

Making it a conscious desicion to use the time instead of being trapped by the constrictions of insomnia.

It's symbolic and feels useless in the beginning.

First times i heard this advice i wanted to punch the advicers nose just enough to cause discomfort because "how the hell is this going to help me get my necessary hours to perform my duties well enough? I only have so many hours to spare!" I doesnt, but it eases the discomfort in the moment and it cumulative over time i think.

But if you get ideas in bed, sketch them down, figure out a couple of solutions for details. You've got the energy there and then, might as well right?

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
  • Like 1

And i forgot, this is more of my "general advice" but try it if you like :)

Heat is my sleep-enemy no. 2 (agitation and anxiety is no. 1)

Set your ambient temperature a little lower or crack a window for some fresh night air.

No hot food (as in spicy) late in the evening. Dont do fast things or rush to fix something unless its necessary. Have a glass of wine with dinner if you do alcohol (spikes heat and after a couple of hours you cool down again but the relaxation usually stays).

Alcohol can on the other hand be a strong stimulant and in larger doses than one unit it affects sleep negatively.

Before bedtime i recommend to cool off with cold drinks (iced water is my favourite), open your pores and let the heat out with for example a nice shower and a loofah-scrub, air-dry if possible so you pores dont close up again so quickly.

A rouch piece of cloth to rub your back and neck, not too brisk or energetic but gently so you get a nice tingling sensation.

+1

Reverse psychology and screentime in bed are awesome also, i read right up until my eyes fall closed, it my cozy-ritual nr 1.

The fidgeting and irritation spikes for me too, screens and books and comics help.

Ideas get written down in detail (places them outside of my head).

When i was talking about catching the train of sleep i meant that if you're just going to toss and turn wide awake in bed in a dark room all that does is associate the emotional state to the physical sensation of being in bed in a dark room.

Its better to spend that time playing a video game, reading, drawing, listening to something with your light on and perhaps in an easy-chair or couch. When you're starting to feel good again let it build a little and try lying down again. If the unease/thoughts/ideas/restlessness picks up, leave bed and do some more "out of bed relaxation".

And dont be afraid to give up.

Making it a conscious desicion to use the time instead of being trapped by the constrictions of insomnia.

It's symbolic and feels useless in the beginning.

First times i heard this advice i wanted to punch the advicers nose just enough to cause discomfort because "how the hell is this going to help me get my necessary hours to perform my duties well enough? I only have so many hours to spare!" I doesnt, but it eases the discomfort in the moment and it cumulative over time i think.

But if you get ideas in bed, sketch them down, figure out a couple of solutions for details. You've got the energy there and then, might as well right?

I couldn't agree more.

And about not being to perform duties as well - it's all in the head. My worst episode was back in March when I went to bed around 11pm for a 5am wake up. I was away from home on a friend's futon and anxiety kicked in. I think I finally dropped off at around 3:30am.

I got up, grabbed my gear and went out into the cold. I was on site for 7am, powered through the day and when I got home at 8:30pm, I was astounded by how capable I was on less than 2 hours sleep.

The next night I was a lot more relaxed and got close to the 6 hours I had planned the previous night.

So the key is to not worry and defitely make use of your time. I might have to keep a book or comic by my bedside actually in future. That's a good one :)

• Like 2

Having some yogurt before bed really puts you into a great sleep

Do not do it, putting your spleen into stagnation will cause you sleepy but not healthy in longern term.