Nungali

Oooooch ! Ow !

Long lasting pain makes for tough times.  For some unknown reason Kratom has been coming up in my internet searches lately.  I've never used it but its seems to have a very good reputation as a powerful medium term herbal pain reliever.

http://www.sagewisdom.org/kratomguide.html - In many ways kratom is safer than many commonly prescribed opiate pain medications: It is not as addictive; people do not develop rapid tolerance to it; and it is not known to depress respiration significantly. Many thousands of people benefit from the use of this herb to treat chronic pain, and many report that it is more effective than prescription narcotic pain killers, and does not produce the undesirable side effects of those drugs. To take this medicine away from people who need it is inhumane.

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2391-how-kratom-became-next-flashpoint-in-war-drugs.html - And Dr. Grundmann told me, "From my personal discussions with people who are using kratom, it's definitely not a junkie kind of scene ... it's mainly middle-aged women who suffer from chronic pain that is not adequately relieved, or who suffer severe adverse effects from opioid treatment ... It's my understanding that most of these folks really benefit from kratom."

Apparently there are many places you can still get, though it is in danger of getting banned. 

Many years ago I bought (crazy stuff with Yoda) from IAMSHAMAN.COM and they seemed reputable- https://www.iamshaman.com/eshop/10Browse.asp?Category=Kratom .  Looks like they're running low though. 

Let me know if you give a try.  Otherwise I'm into staying ahead of pain with lots of ibuprofen. 

• Like 1

Well of course .... marijuana .

Nice Chinese Doc at hospital ;  "Yes, I agree, you are better off without the opiate type painkillers, especially for someone like you that has no 'drug history'.

Ummmm   .... I have a drug history . 

Doc ;   :blink:     

Me :  "  I smoke marijuana "

Doc;  " Why do you do that ?"   

Me;  " Well, one reason ; and considering I have been on a one year surgical waiting list and in pain every single day, even  before that, if I go to bed without being well stoned, I could expect to wake up, 2 - 4 times during the night from pain or discomfort and then toss and turn trying to get to sleep . If I go to bed stoned I wake up around dawn, feeling pretty good and relaxed with no pain. ... and no side effects . "

Doc; ' No side effects ? ' 

"Well,  insignificant ones, compared to other pain relievers .  Also, I haven't had any since I been here , I dont notice any need or longing to have it, other than for pain relief. When I travel or stay at my relatives, I dont take it with me .... I can go 'cold turkey' overnight,  and not smoke for a week or so .... it doesnt bug me , I dont go hunting it  elsewhere . "

Doc:  "What are the withdrawl effects ? "

" Hmmmm ....< thinks >   I just feel 'not stoned' ... doesnt worry me .   Unless I have pain . "

Doc:  " How long have you been smoking, Maybe you just havent built up tolerances and long term effects ? "

" Ummmm .....    40  years . ... also, both pre operative checks by the anesthetists  they listened to my lungs and checked them as I said I was a smoker, first said good, and the one just before I went into operating theater said 'perfect' .  I said  'Perfect ! ? ' and she said " Well, I cant hear or detect anything wrong with your lungs at all. "

When I came out of it, I just woke up feeling good (and suitably numbed )  ; clear head, no cough, easy breathing. just like I do at home after a good nights sleep.

.... actually ,  Nurse said pre op " Just giving you some oxygen "  ... okay, that made sense , oxygenate the body first .... next thing I knew, I woke up feeling good in recovery .. she tricked me !  :)  

Speaking of nurse;  community nurse comes around today .. she said she can help me in shower  !   :o         

No way !      :wacko:

She can help me INTO the shower and then leave .. then I will undress and shower.  

wpid-article-1307477229417-0c72ce2e00000

• Like 4

Well, they sawed off the neck of my femur and drilled out my hip socket with big circular file drill and replaced it wit a metal hip joint. Thing is I am allergic to pain killers, so it is  3 sets of 6 exercises a day 10 times each and walking every hour with (now ) one walking stick     .....       using Panadol  . 

Now this is an interesting meditation on pain subduing and body mechanics !    :wacko:

oh man I can hear graham chapman in my head screaming jeeeesus chrooooiiiiiiiist

best of luck on your healing process

She can help me INTO the shower and then leave .. then I will undress and shower.  

wpid-article-1307477229417-0c72ce2e00000

But what if you fall when reaching for the soap you dropped?  She better stay.

MA training this morning. I was told they would pick me up, drive me there and I could sit on a chair and watch. 

No one showed at 7:45 so I thought i would walk to the corner and wait there.  I did and no one showed. So I walked to the next corner and waited.   Nope.   Down the road and around the big bend and waited.  Nope.

Now I can see the river down there and the park alongside where we train, no one.  Well, its all down hill from here, so walked that, all up about 600 meters  so far.i took another rest by the gate, so I was there when they turned up in cars 5 mins late -- they all gawped at me as they passed, while I tapped an imaginary watch and threatened their nice new cars with a wack from my walking stick. 

I even got up a few times; " what are you doing ?  ... why do it that way .... dont grab ! .....  etc .  "  

The went for coffee and also I went to supermarket, bakery, got a lift home, made a nice lunch. 

<whispers>  house mate just got up  ( 12:32 pm )  ;  "  moan groan grumble "    < gets water, puts kettle on >   "  Moan .... good afternoon ... groan "   < looks out window at beautiful day , sub-tropical greenery, twittering  birds >   "  Groooaaan   moan  "  < makes tea, goes back to room,>   "  Moan groan ... "

Holy  efen Toledo !  

After this little enforced rest,  I am off to explore a little of this  river bat island  (but only as far as the flat path goes ) . 

life-is.jpg

• Like 7