Sign in to follow this  
roger

What is the meaning of life?

I knew you wouldn't be able to argue against your own proposition.

I was just checking you weren't distorting it. You appeared to suggest it, so I attempted to solidify it with a touch more detail.

• Like 2

Steve,

I enjoy interacting here, and hope I'm a blessing. The people here definitely are to me.

You said, "The meaning of life becomes clear and expressed in a very simple word- love."

That's simple and profound, and probably very true imo.

Thanks for your kindness and sharing your thoughts.

• Like 3

Gods are omnipotent and omniscient which I am certainly not.

From that perspective there is no necessity to add something into the mix that you cannot prove and is unnecessary to it.

A PART of you is omnipotent and omniscient- your Universal Self.

The journey requires that we "forget" that Ultimate Self so as to be in a position to "remember" it. Without this forgetting, there would be no journey, no such thing as learning, as growth, as healing, forgiveness, reconciliation, enlightenment, and a massive amount of experience of love, joy, and truth. Therefore, our "Self" has deliberately taken an apparently finite form as human beings to make all this possible. It's really very simple and easy to understand.

The idea that there's "no necessity" to conceive of God, because we can't "prove" it and because the idea of God is unnecessary anyway, is really profoundly illogical imo (and I don't mean that against you at all).

If God exists, He/She/It would probably like to be known, experienced, and believed in, and there are many good reasons for that. The idea that there's no necessity to conceive of God would perhaps be true IF, and ONLY IF, there IS no God.

Another thing is that, God doesn't need to be "proven". It's a matter of faith. Even channeled entities have taught that there's neither a way to prove God nor a need to.

It's not possible to DISPROVE God either, but it doesn't logically follow that God exists. And the fact that it's not possible to prove His/Its existence equally doesn't imply that He/It doesn't exist.

Edited by roger
  • Like 1

A matter of 'faith' and at that point there is little point in pursuing the argument further. For an objectivist this is akin to watching someone switch off their minds and thus no argument is possible with feelings. As long as you are not implying that I should accept feelings as facts then it's your business.

Edited by Karl

Karl,

I've enjoyed this conversation. Thanks for sharing your perspective, I honor it and it's never been my intention to make you change your mind, just to share my thoughts in a respectful way.

Peace and joy to you.

• Like 2

The meaning of life is life, and it is meaningless. If x=x it is a tautology ( philosophical speaking ),and if life is life ( suchness in zen ) וt is what it is, empty from meaning. When you ask what the meaning of life ,it like asking what outside life can give meaning to life.

The meaning of life is life, and it is meaningless. If x=x it is a tautology ( philosophical speaking ),and if life is life ( suchness in zen ) וt is what it is, empty from meaning. When you ask what the meaning of life ,it like asking what outside life can give meaning to life.

Does it seem meaningless to you ? Your life has no meaning ? Are you a brick ?

Does it seem meaningless to you ? Your life has no meaning ? Are you a brick ?

Meaning to life is outside "life"

God ,tao , ein-sof .the meaming of life is transcendental to life.

Edited by james bond

Thanks for sharing your thoughts my friend.

Peace.

Meaning to life is outside "life"

God ,tao , ein-sof .the meaming of life is transcendental to life.

You must at least eat and drink ? Why do you do that if life has no meaning for you ? Why bother ?

• Like 1

You must at least eat and drink ? Why do you do that if life has no meaning for you ? Why bother ?

Why 'bother'  if it indeed has meaning? 

True, so ... what posesses you to think that any of us needs meaning? As far as Sophie is concerned, I'm expendable.

True, so ... what posesses you to think that any of us needs meaning? As far as Sophie is concerned, I'm expendable.

What does meaning mean ? :-) ask your cat, or the plants.

• Like 1

It relates two ,in a parasitic bond.

You are saying that meaning is defined as 'two in parasitic bond' ?

• Like 1

You are saying that meaning is defined as 'two in parasitic bond' ?

Yes, Im saying thats what is indicated traditionally ,,regardless of the guilding one might smear on it. Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Well, I'm waiting for your rebuttal... really ? None? hmmm

You aren't actually saying anything I can understand.

The definition is the concept and it the concept is defined by its units.

I was hoping you might get there and maybe figure out why 'life' must have 'meaning' and why that is particular to man who has a sense of 'I' or 'self' that is absent in animals and plants.

I was attempting to show you that the use of words themselves to represent concepts is implicit in the answer.

This might have gone over your head. It is the same thing as the stolen concept. To extrapolate it if it remains unclear: life is a word representing a concept. To ask 'why should life have meaning' implicitly provides its own answer. 'Life' is a concept, 'meaning' means definition. The fact that you have a concept 'life' at all gives it the necessity of meaning. If you wish we can further define the concept 'life' but it would be pointless.

I can take you a very long way if you want, but my intention wasn't to lecture but to see if you could grasp the sense of your own question and why it implicitly contains the answer.

The mystery of life is not a problem to solve but a reality to experience.

Which is totally untrue. Survival (remaining alive) is one long problem that must be continually solved. In order to experience anything we must be alive. Everyday you must do something if you wish to survive it is not sufficient to passively 'experience' because experience is the result of your thought and action. Experience is not passive, it is a volitionally conscious action and it is self generated activity that defines the life that we experience.

Edited by Karl

Sign in to follow this