Jox

Esoteric and Occult schools / methods

I got ' screened ' recently .    :)

I answered an advert in my local town, stuck on a notice board about an 'eclectic pagan ' group.

I  rang the number, had a chat and got invited around to a house for a further chat.   Mr and Mrs Pagan sat on the veranda with me and she chatted.  Hmmm , no 'outer school' here , but what the heck, a few of them are trying to get somewhere, maybe I could help , and perhaps meet interesting people ? 

She asked my background and experience.  I think she was taken aback and surprised. I also gave her a little rundown of the various groups, and activities in the area over the last 30 years . More surprise for her, she must have thought she was introducing this big new thing ?  She seemed impressed with herself that she had  'a card deck and a book out ' .

Then Mrs Pagan said a few 'weird things'  and went inside t make tea.  Good, give me a chance to talk to him as he said 3 words in 15 minutes. He seemed like a nice guy,  I liked his calm and friendly energy. I asked him about his background. he said he spent the first half of his life as a Merchant Banker ,  but then , "I decided to give that all up  and do something different "   (ah, now we are getting somewhere, I thought ) " ... So I got into insurance and started selling insurance to Merchant Banks . "   

<_<

Later she got excited when I mentioned Tarot and Astrology ;  "Could you 'do some ' for us ? I dont know anything about that stuff ."        :unsure:  Some people in the group have only just met, they need  to know more about each other. 

So I offered to do a 'Tarot Wheel /  Astrology' thingo for their new group, so they could all get an idea of each other's energy. She was excited about that and wanted to arrange it for next meeting. I said Okay ...  BUT  ... give me plenty of notice, I live way out of town, I have a lot on, I dont mind doing it, and for free, to help your group along, but give me lots of notice as to when it is on okay ."   She said thats fine and she would send me their newsletter . 

Two weeks later I get this letter in the mail; a hand written folded over sheet, with kid glitters tickers, stars and glitter sprinkled all over it. The front page had this bad bullshit 'poem'  about how 'we' are witches back from the dead  ....    :huh:

An 'article 'about crystals about 8 lines long  " Arent crystals great ! When I hold them I ....  "  And a list of half a dozen herbs with a line written about each one,  Then 'news'   ; 

'Welcome to our new member .<  Both my names >  of   < my location >   ."    :blink:    'Member'  ???    'secret witches' or any group publish peoples names and locations in their newsletters now ?  And down the bottom, next meeting at   .....   that days date, it was late afternoon and they wanted to meet at 6 pm. 2 hours notice. So rang her, no answer, I texted ; 'Sorry but 2 hours just isnt a enough notice, I wont be able to make it. "

Later I git a text back ; "Fine ! Do what you want .  But dont every expect to get a newsletter off us again ! " 

:blink:  

:D

Willy-nilly stuff ...  :blink:  :ph34r: 

Yep

I just downloaded two books for now: 

1. The Sorcerer's Secrets: Strategies in Practical Magick 

2. Protection and Reversal Magick (Beyond 101)

Seems interesting, I read some reviews on Amazon ...  ;) 

Edited by Jox
  • Like 1

I got ' screened ' recently . :)

I answered an advert in my local town, stuck on a notice board about an 'eclectic pagan ' group.

I rang the number, had a chat and got invited around to a house for a further chat. Mr and Mrs Pagan sat on the veranda with me and she chatted. Hmmm , no 'outer school' here , but what the heck, a few of them are trying to get somewhere, maybe I could help , and perhaps meet interesting people ?

She asked my background and experience. I think she was taken aback and surprised. I also gave her a little rundown of the various groups, and activities in the area over the last 30 years . More surprise for her, she must have thought she was introducing this big new thing ? She seemed impressed with herself that she had 'a card deck and a book out ' .

Then Mrs Pagan said a few 'weird things' and went inside t make tea. Good, give me a chance to talk to him as he said 3 words in 15 minutes. He seemed like a nice guy, I liked his calm and friendly energy. I asked him about his background. he said he spent the first half of his life as a Merchant Banker , but then , "I decided to give that all up and do something different " (ah, now we are getting somewhere, I thought ) " ... So I got into insurance and started selling insurance to Merchant Banks . "

<_<

Later she got excited when I mentioned Tarot and Astrology ; "Could you 'do some ' for us ? I dont know anything about that stuff ." :unsure: Some people in the group have only just met, they need to know more about each other.

So I offered to do a 'Tarot Wheel / Astrology' thingo for their new group, so they could all get an idea of each other's energy. She was excited about that and wanted to arrange it for next meeting. I said Okay ... BUT ... give me plenty of notice, I live way out of town, I have a lot on, I dont mind doing it, and for free, to help your group along, but give me lots of notice as to when it is on okay ." She said thats fine and she would send me their newsletter .

Two weeks later I get this letter in the mail; a hand written folded over sheet, with kid glitters tickers, stars and glitter sprinkled all over it. The front page had this bad bullshit 'poem' about how 'we' are witches back from the dead .... :huh:

An 'article 'about crystals about 8 lines long " Arent crystals great ! When I hold them I .... " And a list of half a dozen herbs with a line written about each one, Then 'news' ;

'Welcome to our new member .< Both my names > of < my location > ." :blink: 'Member' ??? 'secret witches' or any group publish peoples names and locations in their newsletters now ? And down the bottom, next meeting at ..... that days date, it was late afternoon and they wanted to meet at 6 pm. 2 hours notice. So rang her, no answer, I texted ; 'Sorry but 2 hours just isnt a enough notice, I wont be able to make it. "

Later I git a text back ; "Fine ! Do what you want . But dont every expect to get a newsletter off us again ! "

:blink:

:D

You ingrate! I suspect they'll put a curse on you once they find a sparkly website that delivers cheap eye of newt & wing of bat.

• Like 1

Hey guys...what is an adept?

I'll give it a shot.

An Adept is one who has separated, purified and unified the disparate parts of their own being (conscious and unconscious), therefore fixing the dysfunction between them - allowing reintegration with the Higher Functions (Godhead/Universal Mind, etc) without the usage of ritual, drugs, or any other sort of props. In theory an Adept can access the Anima Mundi with his eyes open while riding the bus to work, turning the function on and off like a light switch. 

However, this whole process is guarded by a distinct and ancient intelligence, therefore it takes the guidance of an Adept (one who has been through the process) to become an Adept, because the very nature of this dysfunction is that which makes us think we do not need to change ourselves, we just need more money, more of this, more of that.  This dysfunction is actually everywhere we look, in politics, our neighborhoods, relationships...because it is an inherent part of our basic nature.

Therefore, becoming an Adept has nothing to do with sorcery, magic(k), becoming rich, evocation or opening the siddhis (psychism). In fact a true Adept would have no need for any of the aforementioned things, although they may be side effects, or even distractions during the process. 

• Like 3

someone that is good at stuff :) 

beyond the learning level, one is 'comfortable' and able to accomplish things with the method in question , but not yet a 'master' - who should be more learned and able to teach and pass on what he has learned. 

• Like 2

I'll give it a shot.

An Adept is one who has separated, purified and unified the disparate parts of their own being (conscious and unconscious), therefore fixing the dysfunction between them - allowing reintegration with the Higher Functions (Godhead/Universal Mind, etc) without the usage of ritual, drugs, or any other sort of props. In theory an Adept can access the Anima Mundi with his eyes open while riding the bus to work, turning the function on and off like a light switch. 

However, this whole process is guarded by a distinct and ancient intelligence, therefore it takes the guidance of an Adept (one who has been through the process) to become an Adept, because the very nature of this dysfunction is that which makes us think we do not need to change ourselves, we just need more money, more of this, more of that.  This dysfunction is actually everywhere we look, in politics, our neighborhoods, relationships...because it is an inherent part of our basic nature.

Therefore, becoming an Adept has nothing to do with sorcery, magic(k), becoming rich, evocation or opening the siddhis (psychism). In fact a true Adept would have no need for any of the aforementioned things, although they may be side effects, or even distractions during the process. 

Quite good. I would add that an adept - as I know it - is skilled at turning negative, dysfunctional situations into positive, functional ones. His intentions are constructive and conscious. He is always learning and getting better, and has no internal friction holding him back from his aims.

UFA

• Like 4

I'll give it a shot.

An Adept is one who has separated, purified and unified the disparate parts of their own being (conscious and unconscious), therefore fixing the dysfunction between them - allowing reintegration with the Higher Functions (Godhead/Universal Mind, etc) without the usage of ritual, drugs, or any other sort of props. In theory an Adept can access the Anima Mundi with his eyes open while riding the bus to work, turning the function on and off like a light switch.

However, this whole process is guarded by a distinct and ancient intelligence, therefore it takes the guidance of an Adept (one who has been through the process) to become an Adept, because the very nature of this dysfunction is that which makes us think we do not need to change ourselves, we just need more money, more of this, more of that. This dysfunction is actually everywhere we look, in politics, our neighborhoods, relationships...because it is an inherent part of our basic nature.

I don't think I would call a person like this an adept, maybe a master, in particular it sounds a lot like a “Master of the Temple”.

I prefer a more functional definition based on the old craft training system of apprentice, journeyman and master, in which an “adept” would correspond to a journeyman, someone who having finished his apprenticeship is able to practice on his own and is a good, reliable craftsman, able to undertake any task required by his craft with confidence.

Quite good. I would add that an adept - as I know it - is skilled at turning negative, dysfunctional situations into positive, functional ones. His intentions are constructive and conscious. He is always learning and getting better, and has no internal friction holding him back from his aims.

UFA

I quite agree with this, and I am reminded of this:

22. Only the perfectly sincere person can actualize his own essence. Actualizing his own essence, he can fully actualize the essence of others. Fully actualizing the essence of others, he can fully actualize the essence of all things. Being able to fully actualize the essence of all things, he can assist Heaven and Earth in their transformation and sustenance. Able to assist in Heaven and Earth's transformation and sustenance, he forms a trinity with Heaven and Earth.  (Zhongyong or Doctrine of the Mean, section 22, at acmuller.net)

• Like 3

I don't think I would call a person like this an adept, maybe a master, in particular it sounds a lot like a “Master of the Temple”.

Perhaps if he was riding the bus to the temple :-)

I guess I would add that different traditions or teachers may define the word "adept" differently. One definition of an alchemical adept is that it is one who has made the philosopher's stone. Some magical orders define an adept as one who has attained the experience of Tiphareth. Some yogic traditions define it as one who has attained a state of samadhi upon any object.

Regardless, as incredibly rare as all of these attainments are, they are all considered to be just a starting point.

• Like 1

Why is a tomato ?

The intent and or motivation is the prime Hermetic directive - know thyself.  

It does matter as ... well,  you are the only you you have . 

Doesn't Theosophy teach such things ? 

• Like 1

Why is an 'adept' - what is the intent or motivation to become one and does it matter?

The motivation is to gratify the single core desire which lies behind all others within every human being. It is the desire to fulfill the potential inherent within us... to grasp our inheritance, one might say.

9UQe5V.png

• Like 2

It does matter as ... well,  you are the only you you have . 

Theosophy, Platonism and Mahayana, for example, teach knowing one's self as unity with all Life. That is the first step to fulfilling our selfless duty to help others suffer less, & be more happy on their Way to wisdom - buddhahood.

Why is a tomato ?

It does matter as ... well, you are the only you you have .

Why? WHY?!?

Because.

Dammit.

• Like 2