Sign in to follow this  
Tatsumaru

Why are we afraid to die if it's inevitable?

Someone will have to interpret that for me. I'm struggling to get a sense of your argument.

I took that to mean if my foot hurts, then seeing a brain surgeon or a chiropodist would be equally helpful. 

Or both.

Preferably in one go, to save time. 

• Like 1

How can you say A is A? you consider that these both A's are of same kind, then you are just repeating A two times.

A thing is a thing, things are what they are and not something else. There aren't 'both' A's there is one A that is A. Are you denying 1 + 1= 2 ? Do you assume that 1 might represent another number entirely ?

Is ever letter you have written have no clear meaning and therefore a completely random sentence that I interpret by chance ? By some kind of transmitted cipher ? Or that you never wrote it and I'm just imagining the writing means something ?

I took that to mean if my foot hurts, then seeing a brain surgeon or a chiropodist would be equally helpful. 

Or both.

Preferably in one go, to save time.

I don't think that is quite that. I get the sense of nominalism.

They say that a part of us is immortal soul.There is a disparity between finite body physical world and this inner part of us is not of this world.Starting from genesis to fall of Adam first mankind descended and mixed with different qualities of finite and infinite possibilities.

logic is this. All elements and their states are same. They only exist when they are separated and will have different names accordingly how they are positioned in relation to each others.​

Someone will have to interpret that for me. I'm struggling to get a sense of your argument.

I was going to speak to it but decided against doing so.  But now, seeing your post I have changed my mind.

All elements and their states are the same.

I disagree.  States are gas, liquid, solid.  These are not the same.  There are 109 elements and each is different from the other.

The last sentence though:  They only exist when they are separated and will have different names accordingly how they are positioned in relation to each other.

Yes, that is confusing.  Let's look.  Bronze is not an element, it is an alloy, composed of the elements of copper and tin.  Sure, we call bronze "Bronze".  We don't call it "copper and tin".  And yes, if the bronze is melted down from a solid to a liquid we could separate the copper from the tin.

I actually do see what you were wanting to say but the words you used are confusing.  I won't go into the Big Bang again but this was the beginning of the creation of all the elements and they have been given names. 

Tao gave birth ,,,

And Three gave birth to the Ten Thousand Things.

Positioned based on their compatibility with each other.  Some elements (Ten Thousand Things) can be combined, some cannot.

Let's go back to the subject of dying for a moment.

Is it possible that those who are afraid of dying are those who have some type of belief (acknowledged or not) that states that when we die we (our soul or whatever they call it) will be judged and have to go to either heaven or hell (or whatever they call it)?

If we feel we might be judged harshly and sent to hell there would be a natural fear of death.  Conversely, if we feel we would be judged worthy of heaven then there likely would be no fear of death.

Likewise, those who hold to no religious dogma and believe that life is only physical, no soul to go anywhere, would likely have no fear of death either.

Doubt causes the fear.

I'm afraid of death even though I accept that it will and must happen. I have no belief in any after life, I know dead is dead.

• Like 1

I'm afraid of death even though I accept that it will and must happen. I have no belief in any after life, I know dead is dead.

Your fear is psychosomatic.  Reduce your ego!

A thing is a thing, things are what they are and not something else. There aren't 'both' A's there is one A that is A. Are you denying 1 + 1= 2 ? Do you assume that 1 might represent another number entirely ?

Is ever letter you have written have no clear meaning and therefore a completely random sentence that I interpret by chance ? By some kind of transmitted cipher ? Or that you never wrote it and I'm just imagining the writing means something ?

Numbers are same. 2 means you have two same thing,

1+4=5 is when i think beforehand that all numbers are same. The 4 there is same thing 4 times, the 1 is same thing one time. Therefore

1+1=2, the same 1's there are different 1's.

You could think of having two different things 1 and 4. You can't say then 1+4=5. You need to make different things same beforehand in order to make them one.

well math 101 really. You don't need to know the rule but know the sameness and from that you can figure out the rule.

Yet numbers are what they are. A is A.

if you say it as its absolute rule then you are wrong. The A can be anything , you haven't defined it. Say A is A therefore A is A.

27 is 27 but it can also be 3 x 9.

yes, 27'en 1's. Anything, just need to find proper equation to give it a meaning. I think "meaning" is water.

yes, 27'en 1's. Anything, just need to find proper equation to give it a meaning. I think "meaning" is water.

Yeah, water is what floats the boat.

• Like 1

if you say it as its absolute rule then you are wrong. The A can be anything , you haven't defined it. Say A is A therefore A is A.

Defined A ? It's axiomatic you cannot ask for proof of proof. Proof is dependent on A being A, on reality.

I don't think you are able to understand what you are actually asking. Every time you utter a statement it is an absolute, it is also absolutes that you depend on within that statement and its absolutes that you rely on to prove the validity of your statement.

A + A = ?

Twice the quantity of A, which is 2A. It doesn't matter if we define the thing that A represents, we don't need to define A. It needn't be A it could be the sound of a coin dropping, or a ripple in sand. We might look at elephants and define them in different categories. We might see one as elephant as male, small, Indian, darker. This might be the conceptual class we choose, but as we chunk up, we reach a common definition for an elephant (I will let you define an elephant) which excludes certain features which don't exclude it in that class, or include it in another. We could then say 'an elephant' and 'another elephant' but it's easier to use a conceptual representation of 2 elephants.

Now you may argue that it isn't an elephant, because you think the name is unnecessary, but you have to admit there IS something and that you must categorise it as having a specific identity and nature. You can see it isn't a tree, or the sky. If you couldn't then we would be unable to discuss anything. Even words would have no difference from jars of jam, or fruit flies. You would see only a chaotic muddle of lights, sensations, smells, tastes and sounds to which you could ascribe nothing, you could not even see yourself as seperate in any sense. The fact that you are writing and arguing presupposes that none of that is true.

Your fear is psychosomatic.  Reduce your ego!

Yes it is and I'm happy to keep it that way. It stops me leaning the bike until the handlebars touch the road ;-)

• Like 1

What is it that you are afraid of Karl? Sometimes when I allow myself to think that when my time is over, I will not see my wife again, the finality becomes frightening. I see in my mind's eye my life as a blip on the time line continuum.

• Like 1

What is it that you are afraid of Karl? Sometimes when I allow myself to think that when my time is over, I will not see my wife again, the finality becomes frightening. I see in my mind's eye my life as a blip on the time line continuum.

Oh I'm not squeamish about being dead, after all, your dead so that's an end to it. It's the dying I don't like. Mind you, the getting old I don't care for much either. I remember when I could tell the difference between the print on a real Rolex and a fake, now there is just a blur at the end of my wrist. I've got a whistling sound in my ear and have taken to saying 'what did you say?'. I have high blood pressure. I lost my sense of smell completely and fret about all kinds of things related to that, such as being unable to smell smoke, gas, my wife's perfume, freshly baked bread. Having no sense of smell makes food bland. The subtlest spices and flavours are lost on me. Even wine just tastes of alcohol. I fear having a stroke or a heart attack, or getting altzheimers, or going blind. I don't like spiders much either.

Moan, moan, moan.

• Like 1

Yeah, I must agree.  Getting old sucks.  But there are no alternatives if we keep on living.

• Like 1

Yeah, I must agree.  Getting old sucks.  But there are no alternatives if we keep on living.

Yes, the last gasps on the way to the marathon finish line. Just keep taking the tablets, and by heck there are a lot of them these days. Then the creams, potions, inhalers, nose drops.

Just keep taking the tablets, and by heck there are a lot of them these days. Then the creams, potions, inhalers, nose drops.

I do take vitamins and supplements but no drugs or the other stuff.  I want to look old when I die.

• Like 1

Oh my God Karl. Your medical complaints are remarkable for the image of the man I communicate with. 60 sounds young to me, so I am not  thinking that you could have medical problems.

My wife's fear of death is the dying and the pain involved. Her plan is to commit suicide. Mine is to committ suicide. We both don't want to go through pain and loneliness.

I have a client who is a Certified Nursing Assistant who recommends Helium, a hose, and a pastic bag. Painless.

Forget about Nursing homes and having to wait for my wife to come up and visit me. Forget bed pans. Give me Vicodin and it will be bearable. But it is a controled substance, so you know that they will not give you more if you ask for it. My Dad kept pushing the liquid Morphine Button in the Hospital. Nothing came out. By then he wasn't the Man I knew. He was a dope fiend and dying from Metastic Prostate Cancer.

I sold my Rolex to pay for part of my wife's wedding band. I bought the Rolex for 2 Grand and sold it for 2 Grand. The Rolex wasn't me. Plus I was nervous wearing in areas that I went into. Felt like I had target on my back. Now I don't wear a watch at all.

That ear sound is Tinnitis. I have a mild case of it. They say it is age related and could be from a circultory problem, or ear injury. My doctor offered to give me a Rx Sedative. I refused. Did not want to become dependent on it.

There is a visual test that was sent to me that can determine if there is early on-set Altzheimers. I could pass it on to you Karl, through your email address.

If you are seeing a counselor, ask him to give you a Mini Mental Exam. This measures for cognitive deficits.

I have border line HP and Border Line Diabetes. It runs in my family on Mom's side. I am controlling both with exercise.

Fearing spiders is natural. I just had a dream about a few the other night. Creepy...one came after me after I mutilated it. It morphed into something else, and threatened me. Spiders in dreams are about being the manipulator, or being manipulated.

I interpret dreams for my client(s). They think it is interesting and fun.

That would suck if I could not smell. Have you tried brushing your tongue with a tooth brush. That might help you taste better.

• Like 1

I'm not too bad, I walk regularly and lift weights-although stopped recently due to neck pain.

I'm a hypochondriac and an incessant worrier :-) hey, a man has to have hobbies, but mine is a full time job.

The tinnitus is due to suspected Ménière's disease which isn't much fun. Blood pressure is well under control. I have nasal drip, occasional asthma and eczema. Then I had something else to do with my eye that has left a small blurry spot and destroyed some of the dark vision. None of this is serious, just frustrating really, just like many others. I don't like being older. Funny how you can have a life of no smoking, limited drinking, plenty of exercise and a good diet, but it doesn't prevent things deteriorating. I've had two friends die-one at 50 and the other at 65 which brings it home. Parents are still going strong at 80 and both still work so there is hope for me yet.

I don't know what I would do if my wife died, I think it's better not to try and forecast too far ahead. It's not easy if you are a worrier, but you cannot live life thinking about the worst aspects of tommorrow.

Heres some truth karl and MH. I went to Al-Anon, NA, AA, and Emotions Anonymus over the past 34 years because nothing worked for my mental illnesses. I am not an alcoholic or drug addict, but at one time I believed that I was, and you have to have a desire to stop drinking or drugging to belong to these 12 Step Programs. I might have lived a longer and more miserable life had I not come in through Al-Anon.

But I haven't made a meeting in several months. I have drank some wine, and do not like the buz or feeling out of control. So, it is not for me. I still have a social support network, a mentor that I can vent to. So, that keeps me emotionally balanced. But the bottom line is that I have been working on myself for so long, and am on Rx that I can go it alone from here on in. I was never physiologically depended on Pot or Alcohol...which is now my diagnosis for Alcoholism.

What it was for me was another way to set me apart from the "normies" and identify with a group that accepted me "warts and all." Now I don't give a shit. What difference is it going to make. I'm going to die sometime anyway. Might as well go out connected to a few more people.

I quit going to those meetings because I didn't feel honest about identifying myself as an Addict/Alcholic. If I could identify myself as a sick fuck, I might go. But I am tired of the meetings. I am just tired.

• Like 2

LOL that was funny JD. Now you know why I am the way I am here. It's not that I want to win or upset anyone, completely the opposite, but I'm on a charge and I really don't care what people think of me, I'm just plain old annoying, outspoken me.

After several years of trying the referendum happened and after several months of campaigning the Brexit happened. So, it can be done.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this