'Good for someone my age'. So do you do it because you read it or you internally feel the need? Follow feelling.

If i followed feeling i would masturbait 10 times a day, so where is the line between following feeling and retenting? Edited by mindtooloud

Also, Im not really considering full on celibacy anymore, just trying to stop masterbation and releasing all the time like every day. I read every four days is good for someone my age. I may go fully celibate if I'm ever single though.

Chi Boy, in my experience it takes atleast four days after a 'release' to be able to get back on track and meditate, i can't really meditate or concentrate and focus after having 'released'.

Having an orgasm scatters energy and unfocuses me and i can't meditate. But thats just me. You do you

Heres a post that may shed a little more light.

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/41040-the-effects-of-masturbation-on-the-ability-to-meditate/page-1

Chi Boy, in my experience it takes atleast four days after a 'release' to be able to get back on track and meditate, i can't really meditate or concentrate and focus after having 'released'.

Having an orgasm scatters energy and unfocuses me and i can't meditate. But thats just me. You do you

Heres a post that may shed a little more light.

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/41040-the-effects-of-masturbation-on-the-ability-to-meditate/page-1

Thanks for sharing, I feel pretty similar about it. I feel like there is a lot more stillness and 'natural breathing' while retenting than just thinking all the time and this is the stillness aspect. I'm considering doing brahmacharya. I read about it on another thread and it sounds really cool. It's based like celibacy in Hinduism. So far Ive retented like twice and the longest I've gone is ten days. The only problem is that my girlfreind is really attractive (to me). So if I decide to go down that path there will still be a lot to figure out.

Thank you joe! Your diction is far beyond my grasp of understanding at this point in time. I understand bits and pieces and I'll keep trying. I understand that in very deep meditation you arenmt getting much oxygen, but you are technically resting more than in sleep. I'm just trying to figure out if I should contiously be breathing into my abdomen all through out my days until it's second nature or if I should just stick with my normal thinking and breathing until I meditate and then concentrate on my LDT??

I have knly read the first 4 links thus far. Im going to try to piece together what I can from the rest of them...

Cheers!

Dont think of it like you're getting less oxygen - its moreso that you bring the body-dynamic into a low consumption, high efficiency state.  Pull diaphragm at its attachment at the anterior spine inhaling, press qihai and lift huiyin on exhale, dont use anywhere air touches to facilitate the movement of air - make it all come from the gut.

That's how you get into deep meditation -  when the flow of air is soft and slender enough, the olfactory nerves dont pick it up, the energetic resonance changes and the energy is conserved.

From that physical stillness, arises energetic movement.  Then you can start doing dantien breathing.  It just helps a LOT to streamline the physical processes (think of ohm's law) first and then you have more basis to differentiate.

• Like 1

Dont think of it like you're getting less oxygen - its moreso that you bring the body-dynamic into a low consumption, high efficiency state. Pull diaphragm at its attachment at the anterior spine inhaling, press qihai and lift huiyin on exhale, dont use anywhere air touches to facilitate the movement of air - make it all come from the gut.

That's how you get into deep meditation - when the flow of air is soft and slender enough, the olfactory nerves dont pick it up, the energetic resonance changes and the energy is conserved.

From that physical stillness, arises energetic movement. Then you can start doing dantien breathing. It just helps a LOT to streamline the physical processes (think of ohm's law) first and then you have more basis to differentiate.

I can get into that state where I can't hear my breath and once when I couldn't really feel it either. Should I be pulling and pushing the gut with inhales and exhales to create a slower, deeper, breath during meditation? Is it okay if when I do seated meditation, my body often rocks back and fourth?

So any physical exercise works to get chi flowing? As in swimming, running, lifting, yoga, chi gong etc.? This makes sense because when my body is trasitionary it's like I'm looking out of it, but with physical exercise Im paying attention to it. But, when I meditate, Im looking into my abdomen.

Any useful respurces text wise regarding this matter? Breathing and so fourth interests me greatly. I have a zhan zhuang book and a meditation book in the mail. Not sure if I should be doing zhan zhuang or not cause I stood for 5 minutes last night and my shoulder is slightly irritated.

Should abomen breathing be done whenever possible or only in meditation?

Edited by Chi Boy
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing, I feel pretty similar about it. I feel like there is a lot more stillness and 'natural breathing' while retenting than just thinking all the time and this is the stillness aspect. I'm considering doing brahmacharya. I read about it on another thread and it sounds really cool. It's based like celibacy in Hinduism. So far Ive retented like twice and the longest I've gone is ten days. The only problem is that my girlfreind is really attractive (to me). So if I decide to go down that path there will still be a lot to figure out.

I did a little mini search on brahmacharya and it has some nice principles, might check it out more later. Yeah having a girlfriend would make it tougher heh. Also instead of dispersingall the built up sexual energies we can cultivate it which imo is what makes retention more worthwhile

I did a little mini search on brahmacharya and it has some nice principles, might check it out more later. Yeah having a girlfriend would make it tougher heh. Also instead of dispersingall the built up sexual energies we can cultivate it which imo is what makes retention more worthwhile

Idk how to do that yet other than meditsting and this new Zhan Zhuang routine I'm trying to start up again

Idk how to do that yet other than meditsting and this new Zhan Zhuang routine I'm trying to start up again

Thats kind of exactly what im doing :) i meditate for a while sitting, then i do a simple zhang zhuang stand for a while.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y07FauHYlmg

This is the one i do without the warn up and cool down excercises. I hear it supposed to balance out our energy and ground us.

Thats kind of exactly what im doing :) i meditate for a while sitting, then i do a simple zhang zhuang stand for a while.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y07FauHYlmg

This is the one i do without the warn up and cool down excercises. I hear it supposed to balance out our energy and ground us.

Lol that's crazy, yeah thats probably the one I should be starting with rather than holding the giant ball pose which is #2 I think. You seen any improvements yet?

Lol that's crazy, yeah thats probably the one I should be starting with rather than holding the giant ball pose which is #2 I think. You seen any improvements yet?

Tbh i haven't practiced long enough to see a difference the lingest ive gone is a few days doing it a few minutes a day. I need to get started again. But when i did do it i felt really close to the ground and more balanced. Ill report back to ypu wjen i see a difference

Thank you dawei for sharing. I really appreciate your help in these trying times!

So I want to look into learning qi gong from someone in my area at some point. Due to my posture not being what it should be my shoulder joint is often sore and sometimes gives me pain when raise my left arm into the air.

Let's separate out issues of pain vs progression.

Shoulder pain is due to a few reasons, from my experience.  Over-use can use the tendon or muscle to move out of place; there can be just irritating pain too.  this pain must come from swimming or some exercise involving the over exercising of the muscle.   Western medicine doesn't deal well with a misplaced tendon or muscle...  you are better to self feel and massage the area to see if you can encourage it back.

You said, "due to your posture".  why would your posture affect your shoulder?  

While I agree that bad posture can affect many areas, the shoulder seems an odd correspondence. 

So your saying I should try doing belly breathing for a week? Im up for the challenge. Are you talking about forcing large inhalations through the abdominal region? When I do this I can either focus the energy on my lower back or on my abdominal cavity. The base of my spine is very tense so when I breath into my lower back area through abdominal breathing for a minute or less, I can pull my shoulder back to hear a sort of pop or two. I can only do it once per few deep abdominal inhales. Im gonna try doing belly breathing for a week, but should it be super deep 'stretching' breaths or regular shallow breaths only focused on my belly area? And should I be focusing on filling my stomach so it looks like a ball or focusing more on breathing into the tense lower spine? Also, nothing really hurts when I massage my abdominal cavity. Also, some people on the forum seem to think breathing should never be forced. At least in meditation it shouldn't be, but it is very satisfying to breath deeply into the abdomen then pull my shoulders back for a nice few pops.

Basically Im just trying to learn how to breath correctly and if there are any rescources that would help me learn how to. Ive sat around a lot smoking cannabis and such during my high school years and I feel it is the right thing for me to do. One last thing, I am not sure where my energy goes after being in my belly. I had always envisioned us was just collecting there and losening up any tensions, hence the popping of my upper spine area.

Are you sitting, standing or laying down when you do this belly breathing?  

The shoulders are irreverent.  The stomach is the focus.  it is more meditative and the huiyin moves with the stomach.

Where does the energy go after going into the LDT:  There are two methods... naturally flows or directed flow.  

I'd suggest stop thinking so much and let natural breathing and natural flow occur.

• Like 1

Let's separate out issues of pain vs progression.

Shoulder pain is due to a few reasons, from my experience. Over-use can use the tendon or muscle to move out of place; there can be just irritating pain too. this pain must come from swimming or some exercise involving the over exercising of the muscle. Western medicine doesn't deal well with a misplaced tendon or muscle... you are better to self feel and massage the area to see if you can encourage it back.

You said, "due to your posture". why would your posture affect your shoulder?

While I agree that bad posture can affect many areas, the shoulder seems an odd correspondence.

Are you sitting, standing or laying down when you do this belly breathing?

The shoulders are irreverent. The stomach is the focus. it is more meditative and the huiyin moves with the stomach.

Where does the energy go after going into the LDT: There are two methods... naturally flows or directed flow.

I'd suggest stop thinking so much and let natural breathing and natural flow occur.

At one point I was filling my abdomen with air like forcefully all the time. This is probably not the best thing from what I've been getting at. It seems I should just breath naturally into my abdomen and maybe try to focus my attention in the LDT so that the breaths become slower and more relaxed.

From having slightly hunched shoulders sometimes, when I try to exercise the shoulder joint rubs and becomes slightly sore the next day. I've read about it on the internet and I think its called interior rotated shoulder cuff.

I just feel like its all interconnected. The slight tightness at the base of my spine and feeling of release in my upper back after a popping could be the reason my shoulder sometimes hurts. I feel like maybe tension gets released as my posture slowly gets corrected. Ive read poor circulation is a reason for that shoulder issue as well.

Where are you living? Maybe we find someone in your area?

Virginia Beach, VA. I would like that very much.

I had a breakthrough during meditation in the sauna. I was laying down meditsting snd I figured out if I concentrate on my LDT, I can do a concentrated silent breath in my abdomen that feels very healing and unveils parts of my life in a unique manner.

I just feel your approach is very scattered.  I don't even get answers to my suggestions or questions.

I'd just make a schedule and plan.   And have a program for how you do certain practices, and for a reason and a teaching.

I just feel your approach is very scattered. I don't even get answers to my suggestions or questions.

I'd just make a schedule and plan. And have a program for how you do certain practices, and for a reason and a teaching.

I answered what questions were presented to me, at least the majority of them.

I am trying to make a routine. Basically I meditste in the sauna for 30 minutes per day and I do standing meditation (ZZ) once a day.

Edited by Chi Boy

I answered what questions were presented to me, at least the majority of them.

I am trying to make a routine. Basically I meditste in the sauna for 30 minutes per day and I do standing meditation (ZZ) once a day.

Why do you chose the sauna is there a specific reason?

Edited by mindtooloud

Why do you chose the sauna is there a specific reason?

It's supposed to be good for the body in different ways. And it's nice and quiet. I feel really warm after using the sauna.

It's supposed to be good for the body in different ways. And it's nice and quiet. I feel really warm after using the sauna.

im about to go try it right now :)

Sweet, good luck!

I couldn't meditate as i haven't been able to for weeks now, but i feel refreshed after spending 20 minutes in there i feel like a layer has been removed off my skin.

What do you do when it gets too hot and you feel like you can't stand the heat? I noticed the more ithought about how hot it was the more it bothered me but the more i ignored it the less i noticed that it was hot

I usually just lay down and meditate so I dont think about the heat. Meditsting ti me is just trying to focus on abdomen area and watching the breath come and go. The more I concentrste on it, the slower and quieter it is.