Sign in to follow this  
Veezel

Who here lifts weights?

Sandbag breathing sounds interesting, i'll try that.

I am glad that i finally learned some barbell last year, interesting experience. I particularly enjoyed the olympic lifts.

Squats and deadlifts are fine, but i personally enjoy bodyweight training much more. For squats i do pistols, which i love, and also goblet squats with a kettleball.

• Like 1

Sandbag breathing sounds interesting, i'll try that.

I am glad that i finally learned some barbell last year, interesting experience. I particularly enjoyed the olympic lifts.

Squats and deadlifts are fine, but i personally enjoy bodyweight training much more. For squats i do pistols, which i love, and also goblet squats with a kettleball.

It's kettlebell. Not kettleball.

Used to weight train regularly. Ex-certified personal trainer. CSCS and ACSM HFI. Yeah, I agree that squats almost every day is overtraining. According to what I learned back then, 2-3x/week max for training legs. With 2x more normal...

• Like 1

Reviving this thread...

I'm doing the Texas Method powerlifting program. It's working great so far.

• Like 1

Lately I have been lifting a few times a week.  I've been following this website, just trying to target different muscles and going for variety.  I'm not really aiming for being a powerlifter, or anything competitive, but just lifting to increase my overall health and well-being.

https://musclewiki.org/Main_Page

Surprisingly, after getting into Tai Chi and then getting back into weights made me love weightlifting.  Before I felt quite awkward and probably was not doing the best form.  Incorporating breath and body-awareness into weightlifting makes it very meditative and fun.  These two things really seem to compliment one-another (people say the same thing with yoga and weights, too).

Edited by futuredaze
  • Like 2

Been training for 7+ years over here. Yes, to incorporating breath, body-awareness and even spiritual practices like meditating during the lift. It can be a powerful adjunct to one's routine.

• Like 2

I did a fitness weight lifting class for about a year where the instructor liked super slow motions. They will kick your butt. I found them to be particularly helpful for defining and strengthening the small muscle groups in the upper body.

"how often" is entirely dependent upon the load.  that's why taiji is an every day thing, whereas stacking up 3, 400+ lbs on squats is only going to hurt you after a while of doing it  5, 6, 7 days a week.

there should be an expansion of time as weight is added -  back when I did things heavier, I needed a lot more time to recover after having 6 plates on the leg press vs 3.  (6 is just too much for me, anyway, I dont really go over 4 these days.)

I tend to leg press a little more than squat, but since I scored a machine that does both ridiculously cheap off ebay years ago, its an easy enough switch.  Outside of that, some dumbbells here and there and the rest for me is all bodyweight exercises.

• Like 1

I do the StrongLifts 5x5. 1-3 times a week, maybe for 3-4 months, take a break, then deload, and start back up. I think of it as my “farm work” b/c I sit at a desk all day. And the 5 sets of 5 is nice for building strength without necessarily building excessive muscle mass. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this