Junko

The origin of mankind

I talked to a cyclist who said you should probably learn to ride correctly. 

Exactly my point !  Thankyou.

That cyclist, without even knowing it is 'automatically' counter steering !

Tell him to go over 20 kph and suddenly push the handlebars to the left and watch what happens !

• Like 2

Hang on ... you don't ride a motorcycle, yet you want to argue this point ? :)Again. as I said, its a bit like martial arts ... I love a verbal martial arts dispute .... I get into them all the time at the club , what I like is the way to sort it out :)Same with the bike ..... okay Stosh , get on the bike and show me what you mean ... YOUR bike that is .At speed, the front tyre is angled left, this gives the tyre an angle to the direction of travel, minutely the tyres right side is facing forward and creating friction and drag, causing tension in the front wheel, the top wants to go faster and forward, the bottom slower, 'tilting' the top of the wheel forward, there is more drag on the right side of the tyre than the left , because this cant happen due to the bikes set up, the whole machine starts to 'lean' right. Think of a tank or a tractor ..... you put the brakes on the left wheel, the thing turns left, put pressure (drag) on the right side of a tyre, by turning that side into the direction of travel, the bike will turn right.A dog runs out in front of you, not seen until the last second ? Jerk the bars towards it and you will go around it (if you do it right )

There's a really cheesy Keith Code video on YouTube that makes the point pretty well about well meaning amateurs. :-)

I followed a guy in our riding group that had been told he must shift his weight and stick his knee out to go around a turn. Jesus F Christ he nearly took out half a dozen of the group who were forced to overtake him, such were his antics. He didn't half get a roasting when we got to the coffee stop. "Did you notice we are all going twice as fast as you are and none of us sticks our knee out or shifts our bums at road legal speeds" just getting him to stop thinking steering was all about weight transfer had him riding 200% better. We didn't dare explain counter steering to him, or there would likely have been a body count.

A motorcycle has an engine that moves you around town on the bike .

A bicycle has a husband on the front instead of an engine ;

What are differences between a motorcycle and a bike?

• Like 1

But others have to get drunk to have that experience.

Naw ... that's diff.  The drunk THINKS he is controlling and he is conscious, but not capable .

I am talking about a function that is described in the posts I made about it.  Everyone seems to be ignoring that part .

That is ;  yo do something a 100 times and you get better at it.  500 times, good at it. 1000 times, an expert,  many 1000 times, you have learnt to do it 'automatically' and can probably di it while whistling Dixie, hopping on one leg and  reciting the TTC.

It does not need as much 'conscious effort' you have programmed yourself to do it near 'automatically'.

1000 x 1000 and it is as though 'you' are not doing it at all, it 'does itself'    .

• Like 2

which for me is an interesting 'meditation' on what or who  'you'  ( or 'me' )  actually is     ? ? ?

MotoJournal_MikeDoohan.jpg

I hope you aren't pretending to be mad Mick ?

That's some rider isn't it, bikes rear sliding and front crossed a la dirt tracking motocrosser style on a road bike with slicks. There is a great video of One rider who high sided off the bike, ran alongside briefly before the bike flipped him over the other side, then,seemingly disobeying the laws of physics, he managed to get back on board and carry on riding.

Those massively powerful 2 strokes that dominated the last class of 500/750 were the beasts though. Enormous power in one narrowly defined power band and frames/tyres and brakes which were still not far off the bikes of the 50s. Remember that radial tyres on bikes were considered technically Un feasible and the chassis were so weedy that any kind of tyre flex would have spit the rider off at track speeds. I bet modern riders like Rossi would not have been quite so competetive on those stink wheels.

Tell him to go over 20 kph and suddenly push the handlebars to the left and watch what happens !

I did that once.  Yeah, it took only one time to learn that I shouldn't do that.

'stink wheels '  :)

I used to work in energency ward, lots of bike smash victims and the hospital was near my old fav run - through the Royal National Park south of Sydney * , so a LOT of bikers.

I made a point of tallying what bike and what type of smash. This was a while back, the most common was a  Suzuki katana , remember them ?

most common story ?  Going fast around a long sweeping curve, everything seems good, then a gradual wobble that develops to a tank slapper and .....      nasty !

I checked them out .... Katanas wheels where bolted together !

• Like 1

(lotta trubs posting today,  I gotta get chrome back )

Royal national park used to be good giant circular ride ... used to be.  I started never going on weekend, mid week was good. Then the idiots invaded that too !

Idiots ?    EG. going up the steep and hair-pinned blind cornered double lined section up from Stanwell park beach, stuck behind a coal truck ... oh well .

Guy passes me on some superbike, and the truck, on a blind corner .... doing a wheel stand    !

I'm outta there !   Now I have ' Waterfall Way ' .... but no bike  :(  .  (it was either keep bikes and no house, or no bikes and get my own house. )

They spoilt the coast road that the national Park route led to . Before, on the old road at the base of the cliffs, you had to be aware of falling rocks  and ones that had already fallen and smashed on the road ! 

• Like 1

( cant post the pic )  or even the link now  :(

I give up !

Did you run out of hosting space ? I didn't realise there is a limit on this forum. You might need to delete some of the earlier ones.

Road like this, I want to ride YAMAHA or HONDA motorcycle!

I can see why you might. You do meet the nicest people on a Honda they say.

post-113200-0-98875700-1466038742_thumb.jpeg

maybe the glitch cleared ?

Anyway, was trying to say, that honda pic reminded me of work , commute to work on the Triumph and spend all day working on a Honda 90 step through :D

That road looks sterile as it was pretty new when pic taken.  The old one kept having to be closed from landslides, so they built it out from the cliff.  Attracted every motorcyclist in the state !

( thought I was on a roll then, but it stopped me posting again )

....  and also attracted every 'buy this car advertiser' in the country .... who all wanted helicopter tracking shots .... mates made a heap out of it  :)

Ahhh crap , now I get this when I post a link address

"The site says ;  'error - invalid argument  "

Edited by Nungali

http://advancedcameratechnologies.com.au/libragallery.html

that's what I was trying to do .... all the above should be in one post.

I am going to my other forum ... it works perfectly with this computer .

:angry:

(now its saying "site does not support property or set position .... and I cant post in tech difficulties )

Edited by Nungali