Sign in to follow this  
Michael Sternbach

Michael's Tarot Corner

Hello Tarot Bums,

As some of you already know, among other things, I am a professional Tarot reader. I have been studying and practising Tarot since the late 80s. The cards were one of my most important tools in my work with patients of a psychiatric practice, along with Astrology, Bach Flower Therapy, as well as various forms of visualization and energy work.

As I often receive requests from TDB members to do a reading for them, I decided to start this thread, where I will every once in awhile offer free readings for interested Bums. As carefully doing and writing down a reading takes me quite some time, they will of necessity be limited in length. But it goes without saying that you can order a regular reading of any desired thoroughness any time at a really reasonable prize via my blog (see the link on the bottom of my posts), or by simply sending me a PM.

Alright, enough intro, let's get started. I will welcome three sitters for now. If you wish to participate, post a request on this thread, and mention the topic or question you would like me to explore, if you have a particular one.

1) Brian (based on his request on another thread)

2) Kar3n

3) Rigdzin Trinley

Your feedback will be appreciated.

A happy Valentine and best wishes,

Michael

• Like 6

Hi Brian,

Here goes!

I did this four cards spread for you, using the Thoth deck (you may want to google images of the cards), no particular question asked:

1

2      3

4                                                  

Where

1 = Topic = Prince of Pentacles

2 = What you are attracting = 6 of Pentacles (Success)

3 = What you are sending out = Ace of Pentacles

4 = Conclusion, key = 2 of Wands (Dominion)

Summary card*: IX (The Hermit)

Shadow card*: Prince of Cups

*The numerical summation of the cards in the spread.

**The shadow card is the one left on the bottom of the shuffled deck after the cards for the spread have been dealt.

As the Prince of Pentacles informs us, this is about building up something on the material plane in a calm and steadfast manner. A project like a new home or a new source of income... Something more or less tangible, anyway, as also suggested by the prevalence of Pentacles on this spread overall.

The Hermit and the Prince of Cups as accompanying cards make me think that this started as a secret plan following an inner impulse. :ph34r:

It looks really good! What you are attracting is represented by the very promising 6 of Pentacles (Success). In line with this, what you are radiating is symbolized by the Ace of Pentacles, thus you have the aura of a confident winner, and this will surely be reflected back on you.

The key to the situation is to courageously and boldly move forward, as indicated by the 2 of Wands (Dominion), ever acting from your centre, and not hesitating to step on yet untrodden territory.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Michael

• Like 3

I have no particular questions, but am interested to know what the cards say. Well, maybe not... my husband is thinking about taking a competitor up on an employment offer. Good idea for our family?

Thank you for offering this up. I'd also be willing to offer up the prize if you feel a more thorough reading is necessary.

• Like 1

Thank you, Michael! This is quite intriguing. I will share thoughts and feedback tomorrow when I have time to do it justice.

• Like 1

I have no particular questions, but am interested to know what the cards say. Well, maybe not... my husband is thinking about taking a competitor up on an employment offer. Good idea for our family?

Thank you for offering this up. I'd also be willing to offer up the prize if you feel a more thorough reading is necessary.

I suggest to do a general reading for you then. Regarding your husband's professional situation, a more thorough and detailed analysis in fact seems recommendable, given the sensitivity of the topic. Let's talk about it by PM. :)

Thank you, Michael! This is quite intriguing. I will share thoughts and feedback tomorrow when I have time to do it justice.

Great. Whenever you can find the time for it.

Me me me :P

Sorry I'm trying to be selfless and Buddhist and all

But no3 - for me

Sure enough! Maybe you would like to ask the cards how you could become more selfless? :P

Thanks for your interest everybody!

This thread is closed to further querents until further notice. (But I will likely start up another round sometime.)

• Like 2

Tarot I feel more and more to be the aspect of the western tradition that I want to explore and see how it correlates with the tantric systems of India (as you can see they work with symbolism a lot as well) so thanks for the open discussion I learn a lot from that.

If you would like to explore the subject of tantra from a jungian angle - There is a writer called damn... How is he called?

He wrote "the psychology of tantra" and "preparing for tantra"

A long term student of Tibetan Buddhism and also a trained Jungian analyst - might be an interesting read (especially "the psychology of tantra", I think he's called Adam preace or something like that...)

If you got some spare time. I like his writing

Hi Brian,

Here goes!

I did this four cards spread for you, using the Thoth deck (you may want to google images of the cards), no particular question asked:

1

2      3

4                                                  

Where

1 = Topic = Prince of Pentacles

2 = What you are attracting = 6 of Pentacles (Success)

3 = What you are sending out = Ace of Pentacles

4 = Conclusion, key = 2 of Wands (Dominion)

Summary card*: IX (The Hermit)

Shadow card*: Prince of Cups

*The numerical summation of the cards in the spread.

**The shadow card is the one left on the bottom of the shuffled deck after the cards for the spread have been dealt.

As the Prince of Pentacles informs us, this is about building up something on the material plane in a calm and steadfast manner. A project like a new home or a new source of income... Something more or less tangible, anyway, as also suggested by the prevalence of Pentacles on this spread overall.

The Hermit and the Prince of Cups as accompanying cards make me think that this started as a secret plan following an inner impulse. :ph34r:

It looks really good! What you are attracting is represented by the very promising 6 of Pentacles (Success). In line with this, what you are radiating is symbolized by the Ace of Pentacles, thus you have the aura of a confident winner, and this will surely be reflected back on you.

The key to the situation is to courageously and boldly move forward, as indicated by the 2 of Wands (Dominion), ever acting from your centre, and not hesitating to step on yet untrodden territory.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Michael

OK, so I've talked about and shared some photos of the house we bought. A little more of the story...

My mother-in-law currently lives in a retirement community near us because she had some health issues a few years ago. She can't really live on her own at this point but she doesn't need skilled nursing care, just a bit of oversight (help getting to doctor's appointments, someone to fill her pill box for her, a place where meals are provided, etc.) The place she's in is great for now but, as her memory fades and she becomes more unsure on her feet, it is just a matter of time before this very nice senior-living apartment complex doesn't work for her. She can't return to her own home for obvious reasons but she thinks she's going to be able to soon and we generally allow her to believe that as it keeps her spirits up -- we maintain that home for her but she hasn't been there for several years. She can't live with us in our current home when the time comes, though, because it has lots of stairs -- and because she and my wife can only be under the same roof for about three days before someone's life is in jeopardy (probably mine!) Adding to this, my son had a rough start at college because he wasn't ready maturity-wise. He is currently back at a university for a fourth try and this time seems much more promising but we needed to plan on being a three-generation household for an unknown number of years and needed separate living spaces for the sake of sanity.

After two years of looking, we found a place that fit our needs at a price we could manage (primarily because it is way out in the country) but it needed work. The detached mother-in-law's cottage needed a handicap-accessible bathroom with shower instead of tub, which necessitated moving walls and remodeling the kitchen, etc., and the kitchen in the main house was basically untouched since the early 1960s (it needs other stuff, too, like some bathroom remodeling and such but that can wait). We purchased in October, started remodeling in November, and hope to be ready to move in late-March or early-April.

How is this relevant? Well, remember how I said my mother-in-law thinks she'll be going home soon? Out of fear for how she will react to the whole thing, my wife hasn't been willing to tell her about the house until her cottage is completely finished and the kitchen in the main house is ready, too. This means that, for the last three months and for at least another, we have been making frequent trips back and forth (an hour drive between houses), hauling loads of stuff, painting, cleaning, moving furniture, etc., and "Grandma" doesn't even know about it yet.

Wanna talk about a secret plan involving a new house??? Bingo!

Oh, but there's more...

You mentioned the possibility of a new source of income, too. Well, one of my wife's biggest fears is running out of money. Personally, I really don't care much about money and, as a result, it never seems to be a problem -- but it is a significant source of anxiety for her and those who've been around the forum for a while may remember that she has a significant heart problem (a sudden-death experience about five years ago due to ventricular fibrillation, takotsubo cardiomyopathy, implanted defibrillator, three leaking valves, etc.) and it is stress-induced. Anything I can do to help alleviate, minimize or avoid stress is literally extending her lease on life.

So, how is this relevant??? Early last month, despite a lifetime of laughing at people who gamble with the hope of winning (as opposed to doing so just for fun) or who buy lottery tickets, I had a lucid dream in which I bought a lottery ticket. It was so clear that I remembered the number. This was before the big PowerBall run-up. Last week, I dreamed that I got that same number in a fortune cookie. I decided, "what the heck!" and I bought a recurring lottery ticket for the next 26 drawings with that number. Not wanting to hear my wife fuss about throwing money away, I simply didn't tell her. Better chances of getting struck by lightning than winning, of course, but wouldn't that be a nice little secret source of income to announce to my wife? (I'm not greedy -- I don't need to win a billion dollars. A couple million would do just fine...)

I'm not counting on winning the lottery, though. I've been saving and investing conservatively for some years now -- "building up something on the material plane in a calm and steadfast manner" -- and will be in a position to retire comfortably in just a few years and could do so now by being very frugal (so I'm not worried about loss of income due to robots taking over the workforce or whatever).

All the way through (and in more aspects than what I've mentioned here), your reading is not only quite insightful but it also reinforces some things I knew/suspected.

Thank you, kind sir! I'd say you are pretty good at this stuff. :)

Edited by Brian
  • Like 4

Sounds accurate if you ask me

Dear brian I admire your strength in being a householder, it sure needs a lot of strength

You make me feel like a real bum :D

Edited by RigdzinTrinley

Thank you Brian for your elaborate reply. I have missed your posts about building a house, it simply made sense to me, mostly since the Prince of Pentacles belongs to Taurus - and that's the architect among the signs - and because the Ace of Pentacles typically has got to do with laying some kind of foundation. I'm glad that you found the reading useful. :)

• Like 1

RT, I find the parallels between Tantric and Tarot symbolism intriguing, thanks for bringing this topic up. I'm pretty sure, Aleister Crowley would love it too. ;)

I may not find the time to search and check out the sources you mention so soon, but by all means, feel free to make our gears rattle again by starting another thread on the topic whenever you see fit. Not to forget the charyagiti dohas, of course.

• Like 1

Hi Karen,

Here is your reading. As we had no particular query, the answer potentially applies to various areas of your life. So I will simply outline what the spread is talking of in more general terms; it is up to you to fill in the pertinent specifics.

I did the same spread for you like for Brian.

2        3

1 = Topic = Princess of Pentacles
2 = What you are attracting = XIII (Death)
3 = What you are sending out = XIV (Art)
4 = Conclusion, key = 2 of Cups (Love)

Summary card: XI (Lust)
Shadow card: 2 of Pentacles (Change)

The Princess of Pentacles shows us that this is about you being "pregnant" with a plan or vision, bringing it into manifestation at the right time (occasionally, the card can mean physical pregnancy too).

What you are attracting to yourself is the end of something (Death) - a situation, a state - which in this case may be welcomed as the new that is to follow it is already in the making.

After this card follows both in the order of the Major Arcana and in your spread the one called Art, which I read as the unwinding and intertwining of various strands with great care, in order for the new to emerge.

This has got to do with your love for a person, or perhaps a group of people, which is/are involved with whatever is underway. The effort is being undertaken with their loving support and/or leads to a strengthening of that loving relationship.

Lust as the summary underlines the generally joyful and invigorating character of this whole endeavour, which will help you move former obstructions.

The change that the Two of Pentacles as the shadow card pronounces is generally a change for the better, although some instabilities should not be surprising initially.

• Like 1

Thank you, very much, Michael. 

This actually makes a lot son sense. I will fill in the blanks and share soon.

​edit: No possibly of physical pregnancy.

Edited by Kar3n
  • Like 1

Rigdzin Trinley,

Three cards for you without defined positions:

Ace of Cups, XI (Lust), Princess of Disks

Given that you are a Tantra practitioner, we can read this as you currently experiencing a state of Unity and Universal Love; your emotions are flowing freely, former blockades having been removed. This is the result of sexual energy raised and sublimed, but a deeply lustful experience nonetheless. The dazzling diamond buried in the arth on the Princess of Disks informs us of this transformation of chthonic forces. As Crowley says about this card: "The fruit of the Philosophy of Thelema is enjoyed, rare, ripe, nourishing and vitalizing at its highest and fullest in this meditation..."

The summary is XII (The Hanged Man). Although this usually means being trapped in some kind of stalemate, it can also speak to a deliberately chosen position (closing off of the skandhas etc) and the ensuing enlightenment.

However, if this interpretation is off, the cards could also be saying that you fell in love with a girl, had wild sex, impregnated her, and don't know what to do now...

• Like 1

sorry that was an emotional outburst, I guess I did not "impregnate" her... I hope :o

EDIT: but that theme is part of our relationship dance/drama, the not so pleasant part, because three of my teachers adviced me "no babies" and well she maybe wants babies - a looooong story already, still unfolding but yes thats there as well. I almost feel its a archetypal sort of theme :P and if you like to dig deeper into that (if your time permits) lets talk about it for sure, maybe in private ;)

because here the tantric practicioner gets a bit nervous....

I know her long enough that I did not just fell in love with her and had wild sex (although I constantly fall in love with her and out of love with her unfortenately too, and wild sex and divine sex also yes true that)

otherwise deep felt resonance with what you wrote and man you made me laugh strong there :D

I let you know about the pregnancy....

Edited by RigdzinTrinley
  • Like 1

Reading for Liminal Luke

Query

"My partner and I are presently living in Zacatecas, Mexico.  It´s small and provincial (but cheap!), and I often yearn to be closer to the US border and the friends I have up there.  So here´s my question: what do the cards say about us moving to the border cities of Tijuana or Rosarito?"

Decision spread

Thoth Deck        

1

5            3

7

6           4

2

Issue = 7 = Ace of Swords

Option 1 (Moving) = 1, 3, 5 = Knight of Wands, Strength (9 of Wands), The Lovers (VI)

Option 2 (Staying) = 2, 4, 6 = Ace of Cups, 8 of Cups (Indolence), Sorrow (3 of Swords)

The issue is coming to a place of transparency and making a clear-cut decision (Ace of Swords).

Moving near the border would provide you with a springboard for powerful action (Knight of Wands) and lead to newly found strength (9 of Wands). The Lovers could mean a refreshment of your existing relationship and/or refer to the friendships you mentioned. Moreover, it's a card of decision making, and when it shows up in this spread, the side it's on tends to be the one that the querent has already chosen (perhaps without being fully aware of it). Mind you, it connects back to the decisiveness of the Ace of Swords, for the Hebrew letter it is attributed with (zain) means "sword," and there is an arch of swords shown on the card.

The elements attributed to this whole series (Fire, Fire, Air) are harmonious with each other, that's also quite encouraging. However, the summary of these cards is The Devil (XV), so it must be acknowledged that this option is not without some difficulty, perhaps of a financial nature (as per your query).

Staying where you are is represented by (among others) the Ace of Cups, so you are sort of comfortable where you are. But as 8 of Cups (Indolence) indicates your feeling stalemated, it might be more of an apathetic state. In keeping with this, Sorrow (3 of Swords) suggests that, if you opt to stay, you will continue agonizing over this decision nevertheless; the central sword of the three on the card is the same as on the Ace, except that it is being attacked by two lesser swords representing gnawing doubts.

The elements of the three cards (Air, Water, Water) are not as harmonious as the ones in the upper series. Their number values add up to The Hanged Man (XII), again speaking to your sense of some kind of permanent suspension in that place.

The summary of the spread overall is Fortune (X); the card shows a wheel which can turn in either direction and reiterates that you are standing at a crossroad - it can lead to great fulfillment if you make the right decision.

The conclusion I draw from all this is that, notwithstanding certain difficulties, it is indeed advisable for you to boldly step beyond your current boundaries and move closer to the US border.

Your feedback - now and/or in the future - would be appreciated,

Michael

• Like 1

Wow, so much to say about that reading.  Thank you Michael!

You mentioned that the Lovers could indicate I´ve already decided.  And yep, in my mind I´ve already moved.  It´s just a matter of overcoming the inertia of staying here where I am indeed comfortable (if unhappy), and facing the difficulties the move would entail.

I foresee two main areas of difficulty.  The first is financial.  We´d be moving from one of the cheaper areas of Mexico to one of the more expensive ones.  Also the move itself would be expensive.  The other Devil we´d need to deal with is my partners paranoia. He´s getting better but still has paranoid thoughts about being spied on, followed, etc.  These thoughts make the idea of moving very scary for him.  It´s more comfortable for him to stay here in the city he grew up in, and where he still has all of his family.  The issue of security is complicated a bit by the fact that there really is more danger of crime in Tijuana.  So the combination of irrational fears in his head, and the reality of being in a bigger city with more crime might push him over the edge.

And yet, there are so many reasons to think the move would ultimately be good for us.  We both love being near the ocean.  Tijuana is a more sophisticated city with a growing art scene.  My partner, who is an artist, would have more opportunities there to take art classes and sell his art for reasonable prices.  I´d be able to see my friends and also take advantage, being so close, of all the US has to offer.  

Here in Zacatecas, my partner has his family but even that is a mixed blessing.  They provide some social support but are also sort of a crutch.  Because he has his family there´s not so much motivation to get out in the world and make a broader circle of friends.  Maybe in Tijuana we would do that.

We are indeed at a crossroads and I´m feeling sort of stuck.  Decisive action would be good right now, for sure.  Otherwise we just stay here in a state of suspension, as you say, and slowly wilt away from lack of opportunity and fun.

Thank you so much for this reading, Michael.  It confirms a lot that I´d already known about, but hearing it all put forth so plainly from an objective third party gives me confidence and courage.  

Liminal

• Like 1

Luke, if you move to Tijuana, I am coming to visit you, just so I can hug ya!  ;)  

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan to me Kar3n.  Looks like what Michael said about the US border region providing a "springboard for powerful action" and leading to "greater strength" is already starting to happen.  We haven´t even got there yet and already invitations for uplifting connection are pouring in.  :)

Liminal

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

Hi Michael - hope you are well.

It's my birthday today, and I transit from a 12 year of the Hanging Man to 13...Death!  Do you have any thoughts on the meaning of this card?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi Michael - hope you are well.

It's my birthday today, and I transit from a 12 year of the Hanging Man to 13...Death!  Do you have any thoughts on the meaning of this card?

Thanks!

As an annual card, this suggests major change, often involving a degree of pain - such as having to say goodbye to some places and/or beings dear to you. On the upside, it tends to set an end to the stifling stagnation symbolized by the previous card, The Hanged Man.

To illustrate, it was at the beginning of a personal 'XII' year that I was compelled to move to another part of my country.

• Like 1

Thanks Michael - in two weeks I return to full time work and leave behind a quiet home based lifestyle that I've been living since 2010. Definitely feels like I need to find new ways of being me!

• Like 1

Hi Michael,

Thank you for this. My wife is Japanese and I am British. We have a son aged four and we're unsure whether to settle in Japan or the UK. We're currently renting in the UK, but our contract is up next summer, after which we'll have to buy a place here or in Japan.

My career is in journalism, in London. If we move to Japan I'll have to teach English and music. My son is mixed race so we're concerned he would get bullied in Japan. But we're also concerned about negative influences from drugs and teenage problems in the UK as he grows up.

It's not an easy decision to make and if you're able to provide a steer, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

Hi Michael,

Thank you for this. My wife is Japanese and I am British. We have a son aged four and we're unsure whether to settle in Japan or the UK. We're currently renting in the UK, but our contract is up next summer, after which we'll have to buy a place here or in Japan.

My career is in journalism, in London. If we move to Japan I'll have to teach English and music. My son is mixed race so we're concerned he would get bullied in Japan. But we're also concerned about negative influences from drugs and teenage problems in the UK as he grows up.

It's not an easy decision to make and if you're able to provide a steer, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

Hi Vajra Fist,

Alright, I will do this reading as well as another one I have promised to somebody as soon as I can get to them.

Furthermore, I remind interested persons that professional readings can be ordered anytime via the formular on my blog.

Sign in to follow this