Oneironaut

Is the wudang orbit all that it's cranked up to be?

Howdy,

I don't post much on here, and it's obvious that devoted practitioners of the Healing Tao post even less.

I myself do not practice much of Winn's stuff anymore but I did want to mention that I know practitioners who do and have for years and receive great benefit, there's just not a strong voice on here (if interested check out the Healing Tao forums).  That said my experience with this particular version of the orbit practice was that it was powerful, safe, and authentic, and I would recommend exploring it.  Winn is a great teacher and innovator and I highly respect his work.

Totally agree with this.  I`ve taken several workshops with Michael Winn and practiced from his dvd`s --- good stuff.  I learned the spinning orbit practice (not sure if this is what the OP is referring to as the Wudang orbit or not) but haven`t practiced it enough to provide a personal testimonial.  The old style sexual stuff from Chia (and Winn) gets a bad rap, and perhaps rightly so, but there is so much more to what he`s doing and teaching now.

• Like 2

I have a DVD from Winn where he teaches what he calls "the secret wudang orbit". It is just to visulize a spinning ball that moves in an imagined tube in the mco, clearing blockages.

I do think that Winn teaches some good stuff and leading chi with mind is not bad....but postheaven.....so it is not neidan (which works with preheaven).

Howdy,

I don't post much on here, and it's obvious that devoted practitioners of the Healing Tao post even less.

I myself do not practice much of Winn's stuff anymore but I did want to mention that I know practitioners who do and have for years and receive great benefit, there's just not a strong voice on here (if interested check out the Healing Tao forums).  That said my experience with this particular version of the orbit practice was that it was powerful, safe, and authentic, and I would recommend exploring it.  Winn is a great teacher and innovator and I highly respect his work.

I also wanted to say that mind-directed methods are proven, time tested approaches that are not inferior to less directed methods.  Both have their pros and cons which may vary according to the individual.  In either case, I would agree that not "forcing" anything is a good idea, but that's not exactly the same thing as saying not to lead qi with intent, which is a hallmark of many approaches to energy work.  

When I first started training, I tried out Winn's methods, then eventually discarded them in favor of "authenticity" (Ha! What a joke! Winn does know his stuff and it is great, and one can't get any more "authentic" than that). 

I learned different Microcosmic Orbit methods, two more versions of Five Animals (Spontaneous Five Animals and John du Cane's DVD series), and eventually realized that Winn's methods are actually very, very, very good. I personally don't do them a lot with the exception of teaching them more than most styles my students want to practice, and they all are very happy with the results on their lives and well-being. They don't even treat it as a "gateway" to other styles to learn under me or my teachers. 

In my experience with the five variations of the MCO that Winn teaches from his fundamentals DVD, it has come to a point that they are always occurring passively even when not willing it to happen. The pure mind visualizations he teaches in the audio CDs is also really good because I can do them subtly and passively without anyone knowing what goes on--and anyone who knows about the electrocuted bunny story also understands that it is quite strong. His Wudang Spinning Dragons Orbit is my favorite by far. 

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 2

I have a DVD from Winn where he teaches what he calls "the secret wudang orbit". It is just to visulize a spinning ball that moves in an imagined tube in the mco, clearing blockages.

I do think that Winn teaches some good stuff and leading chi with mind is not bad....but postheaven.....so it is not neidan (which works with preheaven).

But to work with preheaven we heve to begin with postheaven, right? 

• Like 1

Yep...it was essential to learn more. I think I shared my notes with you in daobums messaging a few years back.

You did, thanks :)   

• Like 1

I am really no expert in all of this, just had interesting conversations with nice people from different Schools. It seems to depent on the School. Some neidan schools Start with some postheaven practice while others Start directly with preheaven and still others mix. Also depents what a student needs.

• Like 1