GrandTrinity

What is the best martial arts?

When I was younger, More arrogant, (lack of understanding) more naive, and more easily fooled I had a teacher that was very good at a very well known type of martial arts. I learned a little bit of it and then spoke in my Kung Fu class as if i knew about it and made fun of how weak it was. My Kung Fu teacher then said to me, Are you a master in that martial art? I said no, he said are you a teacher in that martial art, i said no, he then asked me have you even achieved equivalent of a black belt, bascially meaning a serious student that wants to learn the real in depths of the martial art and start the "Art" of becoming good... in hopes to start to master technique after technique. I said Nope. He then said then you shouldn't talk about the martial art. The thing was he was teacher in both the Kung fu and the other martial art i was talking about and made fun of after learning a bit of it.

I think many people learn, to be "black belt" level in their martial arts. (just using it as a sign of significance and you don't actually have to get a black belt to be that level) I also think that many people talk about their art being the best or what this has and so forth. Great for marketing to be honest. But until you become black belt level, teacher level or master level in both can you actually say much on one thing being better then another.

I think their are many martial arts out their that are good and even great. The biggest thing that i personally look down on is when martial artists don't use both parts of their brain. Basically one learning from action only. which gives you experience. The second is from understanding mentally whats happening. Like cognitive thought. You see you might understand it through experience or performance but you don't understand its theory through cognitive thought process. So whatever you want to call it wisdom, intelligence, knowledge. I perfer to learn both in EVERYTHING I DO. For the sake of me writing this post I think it should happen in Martial Arts also.

In my life the first time i experienced both requirements to become good at it was when i started learning about Taoism. So basically I'm gunna stick to claiming Learning Taoist Martial Arts. (now i understand that many other practices do both too)

Many schools, specially Taiji schools will not teach much theory, cognitive thought... or knowledge of the art. Other then the act of doing it. I think thats down right horrible. It seems to be a similar trend when a more popularized martial art is being taught. Thats the problem with mass population, its hard to keep all that knowledge to mass people, thats why mass people are considered stupid when it comes to making order. (At least thats my opinion). Sorry got sidetracked, what I personally think is Taoist Martial Arts are best. So that means Taijiquan is good same with Xing Yi, or Bagua. But lets not forget Yiquan nor Lu He Ba fa and water boxing. I'm sure their are many many others also, that aren't nearly as popular as the first three.

Edited by WhiteTiger

"The Art of Fighting Without Fighting!"

Do you mean this book ?

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Fighting-Geoff-T...7503&sr=1-4

Because it's very good. I recommend it.

I spent most of my life avoiding fights, still do. Though I would always be able to avoid them until I saw a "biker" push his "mole" into a swimming pool and though "He is going to punch her when she surfaces. I'm going to have to try and stop him and he is just going to kill me" :( Lucky for me they just yelled at each other :) Nobody else look like helping.

Another time when a guy dragged his "girlfriend" into a dark ally and had her down against the wall. Didn't have to fight, but I was glad I knew how to.

I guess I wasn't looking very happy when I asked him "Do you need some help!"

He looked at me, deflated and said "Oh, I guess this looks pretty bad"

"Yes, let her go and we can talk about it"

D got the girl out and made sure she was o.k while I talked to him, all turned out cool. Again it was a busy street but nobody noticed what was going on. We were walking back to the car after dinner and noticed from across the road.

Actually, it was a line in "Enter the Dragon", but the concept of the book seems like an expansion of the idea expressed (with humor) in the movie. Looks interesting.