idiot_stimpy

Urge to look into Freemasonry

I believe it's by invitation only.

Yes. By tradition, I think,  a Mason would inform his Lodge that he knows someone who would make a worthwhile Mason. He would petition the members, seeking two sponsors, or perhaps they already know him, or will meet him and get to know him. If the potential member fulfills the criteria  ( being 'free', 'of age' ,  and sometimes other things apply ) he is then invited to join. Theoretically, the sponsors are responsible for the member, his behavior and the example he sets of Freemasonry.

Nowadays, with dwindling numbers it is more lax. As with many other aspects, local variations are great.  They may have open nights, dinners,  and even 'membership drives' ( once, Grand Lodge in Sydney had one, they had a booth at the entrance with forms and a life sized cut out of the G. M. - in full regalia - stepping forward to give a handshake. I asked the person manning the booth about sponsorship and he said he would be one and call someone else over to sign as well.

:unsure:

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

So its worthless to join for the mystery school element if you don't hold power or prestige, I see.

Its interesting why I've had the tug recently to look into it further.

Aside from the 'fraternal requirements' , I feel the actual degree ceremonies hold value. Even if it is a study of them. But like anything, they need to be examined ( and IMO ideally experienced )  in context of the bigger picture.

What I mean here is, in the bigger picture of an initiation system. If you, with your somewhat eclectic background, went to a religious ceremony , you would probably see things of value, similarity or opposition and not take the whole thing at face value, see it as the 'truth' and immediately convert. 

The first 3 degrees are the triangular basis of many systems and represent the birth-life-death process  (even here in the ancient indigenous initiation system) .  Ya gotta get your black belt first  :)  ... even if you already have one, going over the ground work (in another 'style' ) won't hurt ... it just gives you a head start.

• Like 1

Ah the 3 degrees

Oh come on, someone had to

Edited by Karl

But there is mystery in the 3 degrees of Craft Masonry, which anyone can be initiated into. I guess it depends if you can read between the lines and see the symbols.

I put in an online inquiry. So I'll see where it takes me.

Indeed there is.  Also its good to examine and apply codes of moral behavior .  A lot of it is about what we need to do to get on with each other  ( from the anthropological view, all initiation is about, basically,  a map of navigating between the 'instinct for self-preservation' and the 'social instinct' ... at the first stage - the  natural person  becomes a social or cultural person. The second stage is the cultural person becomes a magical person. ) .

The same similarities I also see again in indigenous teaching here ; dont lie ... be on the level  ;)  ... some is very basic, yet lacking a lot of the time ! 

When the foundation is established in the 3 degrees, then it branches out - into becoming the magical person. hence the variety of groups, degrees, off- shoots -  life and people are varied .  This is mostly about the tradition generally, with Freemasonry, for me , the form is staid, outdated and too much in ' the  old system' , possibly that is why it is declining. Sp joining for the mystery element, one needs to navigate through that.

It depends on the local group too. I had past dealings with a Royal Arch Freemason,  his interests were similar to mine -  magic, hermeticism, alternative lifestyle and energy ( he was on a team for a solar racing vehicle across Australia ), etc. Their group had 'sub-groups' going and multiple memberships as well ( I was in a group he was also a member of ).

Also I have heard Masons say that there is no mystical knowledge , but they were in the Blue Lodge ... when I  laid out my case, that there obviously was they ; " OH That!  You need to talk to the Royal Arch guys."  They gave me their address and I went there ....   wow! Ever been in a royal arch temple ?  Far out, the outer was a mock up Egyptian temple - columns, wall paintings, etc .   The 'Red Lodge' is where the really cool stuff is. from there it goes out in all directions ... the 'not accepted' offshoots and even 'spurious' Lodges' , Magical Masons, their offshoots and evolutions into groups today.

I think that is where you interest might lie ?  But go through the first  3 degrees first,  however you do it.

• Like 2

What I have come to think, is how can anyone not think there is a deeper meaning behind the rituals.

The rituals are steeped in the occult knowledge, hidden behind symbols.

Curious yes ... but some dont.  Its the same with court, politics and church, its all based on symbolic ritual but many just doodle along without thinking about that aspect ... its just 'ceremony' and  ' tradition'.  

:wacko:

So they have rituals but don't really explain it? It's up to the person to delve deeper to find the meaning behind them?

No, the rituals are deeply explained and the symbolism shown and enacted is explained, there are also 'knowledge lectures' about this in the ceremony, and hundreds of papers written about it from the obvious moral teaching. through to some pretty deep stuff *.   You may find your own particular gold as well.

http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/aqc/

• Like 1

Ah the 3 degrees

Oh come on, someone had to

Yes, that is how I was initiated ,   by 3 gorgeous black women  :)

" ....The reader must bear in mind at all times that the formulæ and emblems of alchemy are to be taken primarily as allegorical symbols; for until their esoteric significance has been comprehended, their literal interpretation is valueless. Nearly every alchemical formula has one element purposely omitted, it being decided by the mediæval philosophers that those who could not with their own intelligence discover that missing substance or process were not qualified to be entrusted with secrets which could give them control over great masses of humanity and likewise subject to their will the elemental forces of Nature..... "

- Manly Palmer Hall

• Like 2

" ....The reader must bear in mind at all times that the formulæ and emblems of alchemy are to be taken primarily as allegorical symbols; for until their esoteric significance has been comprehended, their literal interpretation is valueless. Nearly every alchemical formula has one element purposely omitted, it being decided by the mediæval philosophers that those who could not with their own intelligence discover that missing substance or process were not qualified to be entrusted with secrets which could give them control over great masses of humanity and likewise subject to their will the elemental forces of Nature..... "

- Manly Palmer Hall

Did you watch that video yet ? Now be a good time before you get drawn into the dark arts. The Tao flows both ways.

This is a good balanced interview outlining the Tao-trivium method ( I know that's going to get me roasted on here but bare with it for the moment) and anti-Tao (classic trivium method).

The trivium method is the path to Liberty and the classic trivium to enslavement. Guess which one the free masons use ?

Some of this stuff will sound awfully familiar Plato, Aristotle, the seven liberal arts etc. the first video I posted shows roughly how the liberal arts are the key to understanding the Kabbalah-but only if the trivium method is applied the correct way-remember that whole upside down cross/devil worship business ? Put logic prior to grammar and a lock is applied, it's that black arts knowledge that is in the world today-it is the world of force and patriarchy and so the balance is messed up. Put the grammar first and order is restored along with-Christ consciousness/enlightenment/yin yang balance etc etc the cross goes the right way up and order/balance is restored.

If you head down the higher order Masonic you are getting the seven liberal arts and the Kabbalah in reverse. This is the way of controlling the ignorant masses. It is the patriarchal way of power.

The balance Yin Yang is the introduction of the divine feminine. It pointless getting into discussions and arguments as to what it means- there has been so much careful obfscuration about the need for the divine feminine that it has surfaced as a political demand which is completely crazy.

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1

**This is in no way a recruitment post. I just want to help clear up some misconceptions and provide sources of reliable information about Freemasonry.**

In most Masonic jurisdictions, inviting someone to join is a "Masonic offense" and could lead to the suspension or expulsion of a member. In order to join, someone has to contact a regular lodge in their area, talk to the members, and submit a petition. There is no required social status or income, as is commonly thought. The basic qualifications consist of being a male, a generally good person (meaning no felonies), not being indentured to anyone (this obviously isn't a real issue anymore), being able to pay degree and annual dues fees (mine are less than $100 per year, but they vary) and having the belief in a higher power of some sort. Freemasonry is not a religion, generally has no specific affiliations with any religion, and the members typically do not care what religion you subscribe to (as long as you have one). I know several Freemasons who are Deists.

As for the esoteric teachings, Freemasonry is full of them. The problem is that there were two whole generations that didn't really care about them. After WWII, men came back from war and just wanted the sense of brotherhood that they felt in the military. Thus, the period between about 1945 and 1965 was the pinnacle of Masonic membership (just like every other social organization at that time). That generation was followed by the non-joiners, which obviously didn't help in bringing back the esoteric teachings and mysticism, or the declining membership.

Now we have the Millennials, who have several other options in charitable organizations and social outlets, but they (we) are looking for something that cannot be satisfied by the Rotary club or Facebook. We are looking for self improvement through esoteric knowledge. Obviously this goes beyond Freemasonry, since it seems to be the primary focus of this community. This younger group is making great strides in bringing back those aspects of Masonry that were seemingly lost for over half a century.

I would certainly encourage anyone who is qualified and interested in joining to contact their local lodge. Not to increase membership, but because it has made a real, positive impact on my life in many ways.

For honest Masonic information see below (the last time I tried to use the link feature on this site while using my work computer, I had to retype the entire thing):

- Freemasonry Subreddit (All things Freemasonry discussion)- http://www.reddit.com/r/freemasonry

- Midnight Freemasons Blog (Various posts about Masonic history and esoteric topics) - http://www.midnightfreemasons.org

- Millennial Freemason Blog (Extremely knowledgeable Mason who discusses changes in Freemasonry over time) - http://www.millennialfreemason.com 

- Whence Came You Podcast (Focuses on all things Masonic, but does a good job with his esoteric segments) - http://www.wcypodcast.com

- The Masonic Roundtable Podcast (Group of Masons that get together and talk about various Masonic topics) - https://www.themasonicroundtable.com

- Winding Stairs Blog and Podcast (An Artist and Freemason who talks about self-improvement) - http://www.thewindingstairs.com

- After Lodge Podcast (A group of guys in a small town lodge who focus on the brotherhood of Freemasonry) - http://www.afterlodge.com

• Like 6

A wise man from an eastern country said joining them would be akin to going to the doctor who poisoned you hoping for a cure. I would think that could be applied to the majority of the western tradition, one of the reasons I'm very much over kabalah, tarot, etc.

• Like 2

A wise man from an eastern country said joining them would be akin to going to the doctor who poisoned you hoping for a cure. I would think that could be applied to the majority of the western tradition, one of the reasons I'm very much over kabalah, tarot, etc.

Very wise. There is good/bad use of the Kabbalah and Tarot. It's like everything, there are two sides to it. The easy way is the big door, big path , then there is the narrow path, narrow way, the rarely chosen route.

Many Masons wear rings or pins which say, or they display some other fashion, the message, "To be one, ask one" (often abbreviated as "2B1ASK1"). At least in the US, the Mason waits for the inquiry.

• Like 1

Many Masons wear rings or pins which say, or they display some other fashion, the message, "To be one, ask one" (often abbreviated as "2B1ASK1"). At least in the US, the Mason waits for the inquiry.

I wonder if the Star Wars 0B1KN0B was a spoof of that Masonic ring ?

I will admit that I was brought here by a Google alert in my email mailbox, but this community seems to have a whole lot to offer. It looks like there is quite a bit of esoteric knowledge and self improvement techniques (I have been dabbling with meditation quite a bit lately), so I will certainly stick around.

Additionally, I will link to this forum on one of the Freemasonry communities above. I feel like the gap between the two groups is much smaller than one would normally think.

As for the 2B1ASK1 and Star Wars, I am pretty sure that Obi-Wan came first.

Edited by Mason
  • Like 1

We had a very experienced practitioner here who was a mason.  I remember he had a really good photo meme of 'What My <> Think I Do..' that probably captured the reality well.  I'll see if I can dig it up. What_they_think_I_do_as_a_Freemason.jpg

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

That is a good one that I have seen before (although the resolution on the one you linked is quite unreadable for me). And yes, that pretty much explains everything :P.

<snip>

As for the 2B1ASK1 and Star Wars, I am pretty sure that Obi-Wan came first.

Well, that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

• Like 3

Well, that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Masons got there. Who do you think built the Death Star ? They even call him Master Veda

• Like 1

I just thought of something.

If I recall, in Pike's book on the 32 degrees of Freemasonry, I seem to recall that there was one degree which emphasized being underground - perhaps a particular ceremony which symbolized being under the earth, in death.  I think it was one of the beginning degrees, not sure.

It occurs to me how very similar this is to the entering of a dirt coffin, as in the Castaneda series of books.  I remember way back when Joe and I were first starting on that path, we went into the wilderness and lay down in dirt coffins - a hole under the ground large enough to get into - and preferably it has roots coming down and hitting you in the face, and a few spiders just for effect.  

No doubt this is the same dynamic that is alluded to in Christianity, during baptism.    I think the scariness of being under the earth (or a spooky ceremony) would have everlasting effect.  It was very effective for us, and we both felt somehow changed after doing it.

Mason - are you Blue Lodge, or are you within the Scottish Rites?  What is the difference between the two?

• Like 1

Yes, Buddhism and now I find Taoism has the same framework. Both are mentioned within the video. It was the Hebrews that seem to have put it all together.The problem with both Eastern religions is the interpretation. First 'eyes to see them' and 'lips that we might tell'. However, I think everyone here is pretty much trying to find the same thing in a uniquely individual way. As it says on the video, there are those in the pyramid structure and those who are wandering about in the desert. Most of us are having our 40 years in the desert and some of us still have a foot in the platonic pyramidal hierarchy as shown on the dollar bill. "Buying a stairway to heaven" so to speak. So become the rock and not the roll. There are two paths you can go down...even though there is a sign on the wall but, it's words can have two meanings.

The Pyramidal hierarchy also has more than one meaning, extending to other areas of our society, and ourselves. In each of these hierarchies, the key is not to dominate but to accept the responsibilty, and honour. Although, domination may feel like it puts us in control, the rug is often pulled from under our feet.