Karl

Are Taoists really just Libertarians

Just as the state has no free market system then so there is no 'leave nothing for others' because the state makes all decisions. They promised abundance in return for submission, as you have no choice but submission then whatever loot they offer should be taken-otherwise you are not submitting sufficiently :-) Oppose any increased subsidies, tariffs, wars etc in whatever way you can, but you cannot hide from reality or reality of self. Did you not say that your waistline was larger than you wished-what has Taoism taught you ? Everyone is sovereign, enough for one is too much for another and not enough for some. Only honest work should reward if it is valued by others. The more it is valued the more will be the reward. Joy in service, not by coercion, but by responsible, honest labour.

I have no idea what you were pointing at here.  I do not submit.  Don't confuse me with anyone else.  Nor do I surrender.

What I am getting I earned.  I have never asked for more.

The waistline is because of a broken hip and I can no longer be as physically active as I was prior.  It's not because I am eating too much.  Shit!  I eat only one meal (supper) as day as it is.

And I always made my work fun.  When conditions were such that it wasn't fun anymore I left and found other work.

• Like 1

I didn't read the entire paper but of what I did it appeared he made a valid argument.

But I wouldn't call Lao Tzu's philosophy "retreatism" though but rather "minimalism".

I found it interesting that he describes Laozi by using Confucian quotes...

I'll just say Yes, Taoist tend to be libertarians 

Can you say more?

I found it interesting that he describes Laozi by using Confucian quotes...

I guess that is called irony.  (Or maybe just being lost.)

• Like 1

It isn't cynical, just reality, by the time you catch on you will have an identity chip.

Good, here we have a statement and prediction.  We will be chipped.  Do you have a date in mind?  Anything like that?

It allows us to look back and say, you were wrong (or right, but I doubt it).   Your premises were mistaken.  So please give a date.  Hopefully we'll remember it.  

I have no idea what you were pointing at here.  I do not submit.  Don't confuse me with anyone else.  Nor do I surrender.

What I am getting I earned.  I have never asked for more.

The waistline is because of a broken hip and I can no longer be as physically active as I was prior.  It's not because I am eating too much.  Shit!  I eat only one meal (supper) as day as it is.

And I always made my work fun.  When conditions were such that it wasn't fun anymore I left and found other work.

If one wishes to shrink it

One must first expand it

If one wishes to weaken it

One must first strengthen it

If one wishes to discard it

One must first promote it

If one wishes to seize it

One must first give it

This is called subtle clarity

Libertarianism (Latin: liber, "free") is a political philosophy that upholds liberty as its principal objective. Libertarians seek to maximize autonomy and freedom of choice, emphasizing political freedom, voluntary association and the primacy of individual judgment.

Liberty only exists because of captivity.

• Like 1

Good, here we have a statement and prediction.  We will be chipped.  Do you have a date in mind?  Anything like that?

It allows us to look back and say, you were wrong (or right, but I doubt it).   Your premises were mistaken.  So please give a date.  Hopefully we'll remember it.  

Initially as an add on to consumer electronics. It will be no more controversial than a mobile phone. It will replace car security, payments, passports. In fact I'm sure I read somewhere an American company already chips their employees. So, not so much a date by which we are all microchipped, but beginning right now. Without one there will be no access to the cashless financial system.

Liberty only exists because of captivity.

Funny way to think about it.

If one wishes to shrink it One must first expand it

If one wishes to weaken it One must first strengthen it

If one wishes to discard it One must first promote it

If one wishes to seize it One must first give it

This is called subtle clarity

That's good advice.  Really.

But not applicable to my waistline because I will not allow it to expand any more than it already has.

• Like 1

That's good advice.  Really.

But not applicable to my waistline because I will not allow it to expand any more than it already has.

Stop going on about your waistline :-) I made the mistake of thinking it was food related. That's what happens when making assumptions.

• Like 1

Stop going on about your waistline :-) I made the mistake of thinking it was food related. That's what happens when making assumptions.

See?  You are beginning to understand.

Now stop messing with me about my waistline.

• Like 1

Yeah your posts are replete with assumptions about me when I was critiquing your suppositions.

Edited by ralis