Astral Monk

Stop Deleting Your Posts!

To disallow ...    

That was a rant so I won't speak to it directly but this is why I suggested to Dawei that he first publish his work before sharing it here with us.

I have been asked a couple times by other members if they could used something I had posted.  My response was, and always will be, is that whatever I post here becomes property of the universe as soon as I hit the "Post" button.

Ah!, the cycles of Tao; creation and destruction.

• Like 1

Regarding the intellectual rights issue, as I understand it, you do own the rights to anything you write here, but administrators/owners have the right to remove from their website or lock it or whatever they please. So, if you really want to keep your creative output, best copy it to a text file.

• Like 2

To disallow it is stealing.  Happened to me twice in the past.  You have a falling out with whoever is in tech charge, they lock you out.  All your context becomes theirs, you can't remove it, reclaim it, or stop them from plagiarizing it and using it as their own.  Which they promptly did.  Disgusting to the max.  

To jam an ownership stake into someone else's creative property, the outcome of their investing time, perhaps money into training, perhaps sweat and tears into arriving at this particular bit of creative offering -- to grab it and claim any ownership rights over it -- "it's not yours anymore -- the moment I saw it, it became mine, yes, just because you weren't paranoid enough to protect it by never showing it to anyone, it's now mine, na na na na!  I want to grab what's yours and make it mine instead, and you can't do anything about it!" --

this form of stealing is not punishable by law (at least not yet, it may change, who knows -- intellectual property rights are in constant flux in the age of social media), but morally, it stinks to high heaven right now.  

If some people are not comfortable with being unable to grab and/or arrest what's not theirs at a forum and call it "their" property, why don't they go all the way.  Steal a car, rob a bank.  Pick a pocket at least, for chrissake.  Too chicken for that, huh.  But not too chicken to steal from me and gallop into the sunset on your high horse?..  Go steal a stick of gum.  Relieve yourself.  It cost less to the manufacturer than a post of mine cost to me, or anyone else's, to them.       

I do get your point , I'm just looking for the middle ground. 

• Like 1

With a rant, timing is everything.  Who would want to preserve at a forum, for everyone to see for all eternity, a rant about too many horses defiling the streets of Paris, London and New York with too much manure?

Now THAT is interesting , and quite true. I wasn't looking at rants in a positive light. Are all the deleted post rants? which examined later look bad? If not ,,,, then that solid point only covers part of em.

• Like 1

Most of the stuff deleted is not worth reading, and is probably the main reason why it was deleted by the owner.

I take the view that if the post is deleted then I was never meant to see the contents anyway.

• Like 4

There is another angle here, about 'delete culture', concerning personal responsibility.  If someone writes something that pisses ppl off or whathaveyou, instead of revisiting the comment and dealing with it in a moving forward kind of manner, 'delete'--its like it didnt even happen!  'You cant say I said anything cause there no text to back it up.'  I gain more from seeing a conversation where ppl have turned comments and disagreements around than by seeing a page of empty posts.  No one learns anything from blank posts.  All a person is doing is pretending they weren't part of a conversation in the first place.  'That wasnt me, I didnt say anything, just forget all about it.'  Everyone makes dumb remarks sometimes, but if you think/write it, garuantee others think the same way.  Always a possible learning moment--but only where there is content.

Or you could get all Buddhist and just say, like the gods to Subhuti, 'you didn't write anything, we didn't read anything, this is true content.'

;p

• Like 3

I do my best to post with the intent for it to remain. Sometimes things change. I recall recently a thread where I added a bit of personal info to support my point, but the thread headed to the pit and my posts clearly didn't change the trajectory of the conversation, so I removed the personal content to protect myself. But if what I shared had been discussed, I would have been happy to let it remain. Personal info can be tricky.

I've seen people who might be doing this sorta thing from the onset, as a way of baiting for answers, and when the answers don't come in the form they like, poof. Not foolproof though. Locked threads cannot be edited. And once something is posted to the internet.... well perhaps it can be "hidden," but don't be surprised if it shows up again.

Most threads age under a big pile of dust, and many topics are discussed again and again in new threads, though the answers still remain. Just look at the I Ching forum... not many threads there, but how many do we have asking for book recommendations?

Some threads are behemoths... when they get resurrected it takes courage to follow the topic. But sometimes I am very pleasantly surprised when a short, on-topic thread is given new life and relevancy.

In the end, we can just post the best we can and hope others do too.... and accept that nothing will ever go the way we expect it to.

Edited by Daeluin
  • Like 1

Of my post count of 17 I think I have deleted only one.

Have I stuck my foot in my mouth?  Sure have.  But I leave them so that others can see how messed up I am.

You are the most messed up dude ever.

• Like 1

That was a rant so I won't speak to it directly but this is why I suggested to Dawei that he first publish his work before sharing it here with us.

I have been asked a couple times by other members if they could used something I had posted.  My response was, and always will be, is that whatever I post here becomes property of the universe as soon as I hit the "Post" button.

Ah!, the cycles of Tao; creation and destruction.

but what if someone actually began making money from your posts? I know, highly hypothetical but still.... ;)

How would you react if you came across a webpage that not only reproduced but took credit for your writings?

• Like 2

but what if someone actually began making money from your posts? I know, highly hypothetical but still.... ;)

How would you react if you came across a webpage that not only reproduced but took credit for your writings?

Hehehe.  Belly laughs.

Well, first, I probably won't even remember that I said such and such.

Second, that would be fine if something I said helped someone else.  I do enjoy sharing.

• Like 3

Hehehe.  Belly laughs.

Well, first, I probably won't even remember that I said such and such.

Second, that would be fine if something I said helped someone else.  I do enjoy sharing.

and if that person ended up publishing a book and you learned about it first on Oprah?

If you found out that someone had actually become a millionaire by stealing your words from this website, you'd be 100% ok with that?

I'm really asking, no sarcasm at all.

• Like 2

and if that person ended up publishing a book and you learned about it first on Oprah?

If you found out that someone had actually become a millionaire by stealing your words from this website, you'd be 100% ok with that?

If I might offer a response also

I think that, after the initial shock (that anyone would pay money to read me) and anger, I'd be flattered -- and try to figure out a way to make some money for myself....

• Like 1

Monsoon Wedding ( the India based movie by some dude who made a mint).

Monsoon Wedding ( the India based magazine short story by "GMP" using my pen name and published four years before the movie was released).

Did I get one red cent?

Take a wild guess.

:(

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

Very daoist - one is the root of the change but others are invisible to it, allowing one to be free of the association. Free from attachment and entrapment by others.

Change others so they think they changed themselves.

Especially when all someone is stealing is concepts and ideas, easy for them to take the credit for turning those ideas into something profitable.

On the flip side, how does one control whether the ideas one leaves floating around are going to be applied by others in connection with dao or separation from dao? Such is the trickiness with words and symbols, they are ever changing from one mind to another....

'For Hood's sake,' the foreigner muttered. 'What's wrong with words?'

'With words,' said Redmask, turning away, 'meanings change.'

'Well,' Anaster Toc said, following as Redmask made his way back to his army's camp, 'that is precisely the point. That's their value — their ability to adapt -'

'Grow corrupt, you mean. The Letheri are masters at corrupting words, their meanings. They call war peace, they call tyranny liberty. On which side of the shadow you stand decides a word's meaning. Words are the weapons used by those who see others with contempt. A contempt which only deepens when they see how those others are deceived and made into fools because they choose to believe. Because in their naivety they thought the meaning of a word was fixed, immune to abuse.'

Steven Erikson, Reaper's Gale

Edited by Daeluin
  • Like 1

If someone stole my words , and made a book out of it , I would have succeeded in promoting what I believe is a helpful perspective , I would be a bit flattered,surprised , I also would be a bit chagrined over not having done that myself, disappointed that they didn't let me in on the action, and fatalistic that it wasn't my destiny to make money on the stuff. 

But to withhold so as to prevent someone else's profiteering what I would share for free? would be impacting me adversely. 

• Like 2

Fair questions.  Honest reply.

I don't watch Oprah.  Don't talk with anyone who I know watches Oprah.  (I do respect the lady though.)

What would I do with a million dollars?  I already have enough.  Once we have nough what more is there to ask for?  So yes, perhaps (s)he who used my words was very much in debt and it allowed them to have enough and then share the excess with others.

• Like 1

Monsoon Wedding ( the India based magazine short story by "GMP" using my pen name and published four years before the movie was released).

Did I get one red cent?

Take a wild guess.

Apparently the powers that be figurd you already had enough.

• Like 1

Most of my posts are a mixture of turgid boredom inducing banality and inexpressibly pathetic drivel, that I find people begging me to delete them.

...sniff...

• Like 5

Most of my posts are a mixture of turgid boredom inducing banality and inexpressibly pathetic drivel, that I find people begging me to delete them.

...sniff...

I think many of your posts are interesting , humorous , and cover stuff that I didn't even know existed. 

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 4

Did I get one red cent?

Take a wild guess.

No way... :blink:

...I really enjoyed that movie.. :blush:

• Like 1