Sign in to follow this  
Cookie Monster

Not only are we giving away what we are thinking to a powerful company that is openly involved in surveillance (bizarre right?).

Yes, but even if you visit directly, this website uses Google ads so "they know", anyway.

im gonna type google into google 20 times a day from now on.

Consumed by their own consumption.

LOL

In our country we had a local search engine, direct Google competition. Their most searched phrase was name of the search engine. Thus I wouldn't wonder in case Google was the most used search on Google.

I love synchronicity... just got off the phone with a long time friend who lives across the country and he laid out for me his dis-ease with the speed that people just reach for their keyboard now and google something, instead of sit for a bit and try to recall it on their own, or reason it out for themselves...

He's quick to add that it's amazing that we have this much information available to us so readily... but there's a price to be paid, for not endeavoring to chew on things a bit before being handed a spoonful.

To which I always add... 'Yea and consider your source for whatever you put in your mouth, or your head'

I've always been intrigued by those maps that show what are the most searched for terms in various states or countries...

After our conversation I found this:

http://www.google.com/trends/2014/

• Like 2

Well.. at leasts googles motto is Don't be Evil,

Whereas Yahoo's 'Sure we're Evil, you got a problem with that?' and

AOL's is 'We're really old'.

• Like 3

Why would someone use Google to come to this site? I don't get it. Ever hear of bookmarks? I use Google as little as possible, but the maps are indispensable these days.

Don't use Chrome.

Bondi hipster to father who just offered to pay University fees;

'Why would I want to go to university ? Thats the problem with your generation, you haven't realised that nowadays anyone can learn anything they want to know from youtube ."

Dom-Adrian-Bondi-Hipsters.png

( Hmmmm ... I am on chrome now ... )

Edited by Nungali

Duckduckgo?

Yeeees ... the problem with following ducks around is, the water only ever comes up to here

01800.jpg

on them .

I didn't mean the search engine I was trying to get rid of a duck that was pestering me.

It's shocking to see some people don't know you can enter in the web address yourself, without using a search engine. Then there are those who type in the name of the site, without all the W's, dots and coms, thus still end up using a browser add on search engine...or whatever default is set up.

Some great points made in the OP!

• Like 1

I remember I read an article a while ago about how it's becoming more common to just type the name of a webpage in google (googling: thetaobums) than to just type it in the browser bar yourself (entering www.thetaobums.com)

This is not healthy.

Not only are we giving away what we are thinking to a powerful company that is openly involved in surveillance (bizarre right?).

We are also stupidifying ourselves by giving away our energy. Sending it into a vast - global - power- consuming computer grid. What happens when you send a small portion of your energy into that kind of network?

The power grid is also used meaninglessly. We use just a few percent of the data google generates for us with a search query.

-With both our own attention and electricity-

Although the power consumption of 1 search is small it adds up when you consider how many times you press enter and do a search per day, then consider how many people use google.

Although pressing enter is simple and easy, the process behind is complex.

I think of it as a sacrifice made by the computer network.

Since google is free to use, who pays for us?

Google has become too smart. I remember in the early days I had to think out smart ways to phrase a search to find the information I was looking for. These days I just binge search one word (often mistyped) and let Google do the "thinking".

I've bookmarked the taobums. No need for Google as a middle man. Also, while I do use google as my standard searchengine, I prefer using the following URL: https://encrypted.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en&pws=0 No bs automatic language changes, no google guessing my search parameters...

• Like 2

there are those who type in the name of the site, without all the W's, dots and coms

thetaobums + [Ctrl + Enter] = www.thetaobums.com

I've been using these shortcuts for .com .org .net many years and am often surprised to hear that few people know of them

These days, as this site is the only one I visit beginning with T, I just need type 't' into Firefox and it knows..

Google can still find out where you've been though.

Edited by dustybeijing

modern browsers just fill in the rest based on your history. I type "th" and Firefox fills it in with thetaobums.com

I type "c" and FF completes it with cracked.com lol

Then I just hit Enter. Done. Quicker than bookmarks

I don't allow any device to suggest words... it's the written equivalent of the person who constantly fills in and finishes your sentences for you.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this