kudos100

My path/Lineage/internal art is better than yours.......

The Dalai Lama somehow managed to warn others of false or misleading paths, without being disrespectful nor an arrogant ass :).

Then some call his path false and misleading haha.

Just an example of Buddhist squabbling. What do we expect? Another religion with schisms just like all the rest!

We all have them. I just shut my mouth and get on with it.

The problem is that Buddhism isn't just a religion - it's also high tech for positive transformation.

That high-tech is being lost in the static of the failure to address the behaviour of those who bring it into disrepute.

That's the Dalai Lama's job and he needs either to do it or to resign.

• Like 1

Furthermore, the religious/mythological aspects are also extremely important.

Edited by gatito

The problem is that Buddhism isn't just a religion - it's also high tech for positive transformation.

That high-tech is being lost in the static of the failure to address the behaviour of those who bring it into disrepute.

That's the Dalai Lama's job and he needs either to do it or to resign.

Is it his job? The Dalai Lama is the head of the Gelug sect which Sogyal Rinpoche isn't part of.

• Like 1

Is it his job? The Dalai Lama is the head of the Gelug sect which Sogyal Rinpoche isn't part of.

Fair point.

However, allowing that, nevertheless, should he have spoken out about sexual abuse in Tibetan Buddhism?

Fair point.

However, allowing that, nevertheless, should he have spoken out about sexual abuse in Tibetan Buddhism?

If it is an institutional problem and he is aware of it I hope he would speak out, in terms of actual cases though I am not aware of anybody in Tibetan Buddhism who has been convicted of sexual abuse, there are likely to be individual cases of abuse I am sure but I am not aware of an institutional issue comparable of say what has gone on in the Catholic Church.

Also the Tantric aspect in Tibetan Buddhism makes it more complicated, many masters historically had multiple lovers who were also students, for example Trungpa Rinpoche openly had many lovers who all knew about each other. In such situations it is easy for people to be hurt and try to get revenge when the intent was never to be abusive.

• Like 1

If it is an institutional problem and he is aware of it I hope he would speak out, in terms of actual cases though I am not aware of anybody in Tibetan Buddhism who has been convicted of sexual abuse, there are likely to be individual cases of abuse I am sure but I am not aware of an institutional issue comparable of say what has gone on in the Catholic Church.

Also the Tantric aspect in Tibetan Buddhism makes it more complicated, many masters historically had multiple lovers who were also students, for example Trungpa Rinpoche openly had many lovers who all knew about each other. In such situations it is easy for people to be hurt and try to get revenge when the intent was never to be abusive.

I think that he's lost his moral compass...

For what it's worth, I don't think it is even possible to make a mistake. A mistake from who's point of view? From a larger point of view, all our personal problems aren't nearly as important as we think they are.

For what it's worth, I don't think it is even possible to make a mistake. A mistake from who's point of view? From a larger point of view, all our personal problems aren't nearly as important as we think they are.

I'm not convinced that those sexually and spiritually abused women would agree with you..

I'm not convinced that those sexually and spiritually abused women would agree with you..

Nor would the people of a city positioned under an erupting volcano.

Without expectation we face our environment and do our best.

Then we die, come back, and do it again.

Wailing against injustice hardly makes things better.

Zhuangzi advises we not struggle against getting our hand cut off.

It is just a hand.

What point in attaching to it?

We always have our center.

There will be many who manifest their ambitions using force.

To oppose something maintains it.

To change something, drain the polarity.

This is can be done by going another way.

The taoist way is ever subtle and invisible, slipping between the cracks, yielding to the violent battling forces and remaining whole and at peace, even in the midst of war.

There are many people with many destinies. Some may find tao. Some may be faced with other things to do on their path to greater balance. It is important for us to trust our heart to lead the way - our own unique way.

• Like 1

Based on what I've seen on this board, there is probably more squabbling in the Buddhist sub-forums than anyplace else. Well except maybe for when Mo-Pai is involved!

That's because of the prevalence of individuals going off their own intellectual trips which are then inserted into the discussions of teachings in buddhadharma.

The chapter on the Dalai in this book is worth a read if you believe that: -

http://www.strippingthegurus.com/

So is this: -

Sogyal Rinpoche and the Silence of the Tibetan Buddhist Community and the Dalai Lama

http://buddhism-controversy-blog.com/2012/03/27/sogyal-rinpoche-and-the-silence-of-the-tibetan-buddhist-community-and-the-dalai-lama/

:rolleyes:

LMFAO at "Stripping The Gurus", are you part of NKT gatito? The article on Sogyal Rinpoche cited Mary Finnigan who's apparently had beef with Tibetan Buddhism and various lamas stretching back some years. The Tibetan Buddhist community is well aware of her acussations. Do a search on the DW forums. You can't always trust shit you read on the internet.

• Like 1

My original post was about Taoist arts and my experiences of teachers picking holes in other schools or practices. I made the unhelpful comment of comparing these experiences to those I have from Buddhist groups and teachers, which was a mistake.

As this thread has shown there is plenty of squabbling in Buddhism!

It seems that path of Taoism can be a complicated one with very few schools teaching it. Some people are teaching internal arts without fully understanding them or having a good grounding of Taoist philosophy as a whole. Other teachers who are very keen on lineage and the correct way perhaps do not take kindly to this.

With so many different practices and confusion about the path, it is no wonder that there can be dogma and mistrust from teachers, same as in other spiritual disciplines. Taoism just seems that little bit more complex to follow.

Edited by kudos100
  • Like 2

That's because of the prevalence of individuals going off their own intellectual trips which are then inserted into the discussions of teachings in buddhadharma.

Bump.

Nor would the people of a city positioned under an erupting volcano.

Without expectation we face our environment and do our best.

Then we die, come back, and do it again.

Wailing against injustice hardly makes things better.

Zhuangzi advises we not struggle against getting our hand cut off.

It is just a hand.

What point in attaching to it?

We always have our center.

There will be many who manifest their ambitions using force.

To oppose something maintains it.

To change something, drain the polarity.

This is can be done by going another way.

The taoist way is ever subtle and invisible, slipping between the cracks, yielding to the violent battling forces and remaining whole and at peace, even in the midst of war.

There are many people with many destinies. Some may find tao. Some may be faced with other things to do on their path to greater balance. It is important for us to trust our heart to lead the way - our own unique way.