Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Harmonious Emptiness

ren/humanity仁 refers to conformism

55 posts in this topic

Yeah, this is a little off topic but still linked in a way. "Correct action" is a human attribute, not one of the Tao except in limited perspective.

China had done a great job saving the Panda. I don't hear much about their efforts to save the Tiger and Elephant. But man has been killing them long enough, I think. It's about time efforts were made to protect them now.

Nature (Tao) would allow them to naturally go extinct. But man has forced the issue. Forcing things is not the Way of Tao.

Tao is impartial. Man is partial and that is why man is not following the Way of Tao in this regard (ren).

And yes, I can imagine the joy of working with the Chinese language in the written form, being able to build upon root characters in order to express a more complicated thought.

With Tao's impartiality, Tao is seeking only balance, benefiting the totality. With man's partiality, man is seeking to create imbalance, benefiting only himself.

So from this perspective, yes, the Sage would be like Tao.

1 person thanks this

My two-headed snake....
I am always follow your ping-pong thoughts with consistency. One way or the other but not both which made it inconsistent.

Edited by ChiDragon

My two-headed snake....

I am always follow your ping-pong thoughts with consistency. One way or the other but not both which made it inconsistent.

But ChiDragon, at least I am consistently inconsistent.

But then, for me to state that anything is static would be an error as well.

And I do reserve the right to change my mind.

Tao has given me everything I have ever needed. If I had been born in sub-Sahara Africa I would likely feel differently. But this difference would be a result of the nature of the planet, not of Tao.

1 person thanks this

I thought to say when posting earlier that it seems obvious enough Chuang Tzu was making a bit of a caricature of Confucius, and that when talking about ren, it’s not what it’s definition is, but how it was perceived by sages, which is that it was over-systematized. Heaven and Earth’s behaviour doesn’t follow these precepts. Dao follows it’s own way.

If ever there were direct opposites it would be that of Confucius and Chuang Tzu.

And this opposition applies to the concept of humanity as well.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0