Tibetan_Ice

Words of My Perfect Teacher

If being a buddha was a prerequisite for anyone to teach other than Gautama Buddha, why are there many sutras, where his disciples assume a teaching role?

No idea.

Why don't you ask him yourself?

They needn't be arahants as in some cases of devas.

Really

That's your considered opinion as a buddha?

That's not what I meant of course and I think you know that.

You seem to have missed the question mark at the end of my question to you.

Basically, when you're not subsuming buddhadharma under the authority of the Upanishads, the Upanishads are an authority over and above the buddhadharma. Why else would you have waged a smear campaign against its teachings? Do I need to link some of those posts in order to remind you?

You've failed to understand my position and you're veering wildly off-topic.

Start a thread in my Buddhism PPF if you've a serious question that you want to ask.

Vedanta, Mimamsa, Samkyha, etc., accepts 'testimony' (sabda) from authoritative sources (e.g. Upanishads) as valid perception (i.e. pramana) as well. By the way, I would garner that few "Direct-Path Advaita" teachers, especially Westerners, could match the sheer stability of Ramana's immersion in the Self.

Vedanta, Mimamsa, Samkyha, etc., accepts 'testimony' (sabda) from authoritative sources (e.g. Upanishads) as valid perception (i.e. pramana) as well. By the way, I would garner that few "Direct-Path Advaita" teachers, especially Westerners, could match the sheer stability of Ramana's immersion in the Self.

Dunno, I never met the guy.

Probably pointless to speculate and better to get on with finding happiness for yourself ASAP?

He was a dog?

In your world dogs go mu, and cows bark?

Q: Have you heard of the cow who strove to attained liberation?

A: It was dyslexic and kept on repeating OOOOMMM!

Edited by GrandmasterP

Q: Have you heard of the cow who strove to attained liberation?

A: It was dyslexic and kept on repeating OOOOMMM!

A dyslexic owc?

Once upon a time in a land far away lived a poor uneducated, mentally challenged man who tended a herd of cows for his master. He happened upon a meditation teacher and was very taken with his calm, loving, gentle and happy nature. He decided he wanted to know that experience first hand. And so he went to the teacher and begged him to teach him a way to achieve the inner peace that radiated so obviously from the teacher. The teacher accepted him as his student but quickly found that the man couldn’t understand any of the philosophical points he was making and as a matter of fact couldn’t even remember the mantra "OM" when he tried to teach it to him. The teacher lovingly said, "My oh my, you don’t seem to know anything at all, can’t be taught, and can’t remember anything. You are devoted and sincere in your desire to gain happiness though, so I will try to help you. My son, what do you know?" The man said, "Oh great teacher, the only thing I know is cows. All my life I’ve spent caring for cows, making sure they graze, are milked, and are kept clean. Yes, for me, everything is cows." "Well, that’s alright," said the teacher, "then you know what sound the cows make." "Oh yes," said the man, "they say moo." "Very well then," said the teacher, "for you, moo will be your mantra. All you have to do is say moo continually and you will reach freedom from suffering and know real bliss." So the man chanted moo, moo, moo when he took the cows out to graze and he chanted moo, moo, moo when he milked them, and he chanted moo, moo, moo when he cleaned them. He chanted moo all the time and very soon merged with that vibration, which is Om backward, and reached the highest heights of joyous understanding and lived happily ever after.

• Like 1

Cute story Stosh. On a serious note, Mmmooo does not resonate the same in the body as Ooommm.

Yeah they are likely to have completely different results, mantras can also be empowered, I didn't quite believe this myself but I had a mantra which I experimented with for a while, then I was initiated in the lineage of the mantra and it was empowered by the lineage and the difference before and after in terms of power and effectiveness is like night and day.

• Like 1

Cute story Stosh. On a serious note, Mmmooo does not resonate the same in the body as Ooommm.

Well sweetie , I figure you may be right about the resonation thing, I just felt the story drew together some dispersed ideas , and I liked it. You can stick with Aummm or Omm if you want. I dont participate in that capacity. I have my own way , ( which is what I read into the story -as well as the dedication on the part of the herder being the real essential factor in his own progress )

Yes but doesn't the perfect teacher have clairvoyance, psychic powers that let him know your resolve and intent without having to play mind games?

Those are just mundane siddhis, indications of meditation and practice but not signs of realization.

• Like 1

Those are just mundane siddhis, indications of meditation and practice but not signs of realization.

Yeah.

That old stuff eh?

Pshawww!

;)

Who is so unselfish that they go around cutting parts off from their body for others?

They're probably people who have more than one body.

They're probably people who have more than one body.

Organ donors maybe?

The very thought makes me shudder, don't know if I could do that and hope that I never need to find out, but kudos to those who do give up an organ to save someone else.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1