GrandmasterP

Upping Sticks

Well that Richard Dawkins still won't be welcome.

Awful man.

He used to be ok but somehow has reinvented himself as a belligerent type. You could ask him and Sam Harris round for tea ... then set the dogs loose (provided they've had a kung fu warm up in the dojo).

"Smithers release the hounds."

:)

This new puppy would do for Dawkins.

She has teeth like little needles.

Almost ( unintentionally) had my thumb of yesterday she did.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Anyone tells me that they are a sceptic and I tell 'em..

" I don't believe you."

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

The two storey bit in the middle is the original and over 200 years old.

All the other bits are later additions.

There's only the one overhead power cable and that tends to blow down during gales so it's basically run as 'off grid" to be on the safe side.

Oil central heating and a 'back up' generator.

We have stocked up on oil and candle lanterns.

There's no mobile 'phone signal within two miles but it has downline broadband.

Gods bless British Telecom!

Edited by GrandmasterP

Nice house. One thing I never get with 'youse guys' (after seeing a bit of renovations, auctions, purchases) 'over there'.

The doors, including the front door, and the windows and things dont have any cover. Here we have big verandahs, if not usually a little roof extending out; a portico, over the door or a big sliding door window or at least some eaves.

Without it, doesnt the rain come in the door and window when its open ? Maybe its too cold to keep them open ? But surely going in and out one would like some cover at the door? Windows in wall with no (virtually) eaves or overhang, doesnt the rain get in?

Also I lost count of the number of times I have seen some home building or renovating show in the UK; they do the foundations, floor, walls , all sorts of wooden interior features ... then they go "Hope it doesnt rain before we get the roof on."

:blink: WTF ??? ... then, often it does and everyone laments

DUDES! Get the roof up first. Every house here I have worked on we work to get the roof up first, even in a wall supporting design, the framework will hold the roof up (then you have cover, storage, protection, etc ).

And I thought it rained much more 'up' there ?

Nup. I dont get that one. :mellow:

Edited by Nungali

The two storey bit in the middle is the original and over 200 years old.

All the other bits are later additions.

There's only the one overhead power cable and that tends to blow down during gales so it's basically run as 'off grid" to be on the safe side.

Oil central heating and a 'back up' generator.

We have stocked up on oil and candle lanterns.

There's no mobile 'phone signal within two miles but it has downline broadband.

Gods bless British Telecom!

Good Idea. I wouldnt mind just one line coming in. I am off grid but be nice to be easily able to charge batteries in the wet season as sometimes it can be overcast (and flooding).

• Like 1

That elevation in the photo is landward, there's a berm and then the sea is behind that on the other side.

Hence prevailing onshore wind and rain hits the other side and that's all just wall with no windows or doors.

It's pretty well sheltered and has only flooded ( on record) once in 1953 and that year most of that coast was pretty much wiped out with huge loss of lives hence the sea defence berms there now.

Roofs go on last here in traditional builds cos you have to build the walls before you can put the roof on.

Timber framed houses they build like you do yours in the USA frame up, roof on then the walls etc next.

However timber framed new builds are not so easy to finance so we don't tend to have many of them in the UK outside of some big cities.

Mortgage lenders are notoriously conservative and prefer lending against more traditional bricks and mortar homes.

Also zoning and planning laws are very tight here and tend to insist that a new house is built using materials to match existing homes in the same location.

My theory with this place is that as it has lasted 200 years thus far then it'll probably outlast us.

If it does blow away there are three decent sized net sheds on the plot ripe for conversion.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Anyone tells me that they are a sceptic and I tell 'em..

" I don't believe you."

I'll be borrowing this one, thank you...

• Like 1

Ah .... the good old days when we used to take the tractor down the road, buy 3 story high tallow wood poles for $25 each, wack em in and stick the finished roof on. Then you make the walls whatever you want, carpet even, and build it in a bit at a time as you can afford it. Wood, especially if you have one of those little home mills, stone from the river, whatever you can find . Or spend $3000 at the mill down the road and get all the framing and go that way.

20 years ago :( .... Theres just too many people and rules and regulations nowadays - consarn it !

But hey, if I had the money ... I would have bought that house too

• Like 1

There's an ancient tractor comes with the cottage, he was going to put it on eBay but I did him a deal.

Handy little tools are tractors and it has a beach licence so I can potter up and down on it at low tide.

There's no harbour but a berm-gate so the (crab) fishing boats are tractored through that then down the beach and launched from a trailer.

His tractor , trailer and main boat are on hard standing in back of the cottage; he's sold his big boat and trailer but leaving me a dinghy that I doubt I shall be using very much if at all.

Bit bleddy rough that North Sea and we don't eat crab.

My fishing will be restricted to night lining, netting the beach or beach casting.

Not sure yet what the regulations are for night lining or setting nets but beach casting with up to two rods is allowed ( and free) so there's always a few lads down there with rods when the tide's falling.

We should be OK for fresh fish enough for the two of us.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

The first crabby master in Tibet was called Lobster Rampa. It was so far to go the beach each morning.

• Like 1

There's an ancient tractor comes with the cottage, he was going to put it on eBay but I did him a deal.

Tractor ! What sort of tractor ? It isnt an old grey Massey-Ferguson is it ?

Handy little tools are tractors and it has a beach licence so I can potter up and down on it at low tide.

There's no harbour but a berm-gate so the (crab) fishing boats are tractored through that then down the beach and launched from a trailer.

His tractor , trailer and main boat are on hard standing in back of the cottage; he's sold his big boat and trailer but leaving me a dinghy that I doubt

So it would be possible to collect seaweed? Maybe some fish scraps. I'm a bit of a compost and agricultural preparations nut so ..... bet the dingy comes in handy at some stage.

I shall be using very much if at all.

Bit bleddy rough that North Sea and we don't eat crab.

My fishing will be restricted to night lining, netting the beach or beach casting.

Not sure yet what the regulations are for night lining or setting nets but beach casting with up to two rods is allowed ( and free) so there's always a few lads down there with rods when the tide's falling.

We should be OK for fresh fish enough for the two of us.

Night time ... tidal ... what about prawns? Or is all shellfish ? I caught massive amounts of prawns when I was akid - at night with bucket net and lantern .... :)

Sounds like a great spot and potential ! I lived on a waterfront where we could easily get 2 - 5 dinner fish , (if the tide was right) ... just go out in the dinghy 1 hr before dinner, just out off the back yard. (We didnt even have oars, just kept throwing the anchor ahead and pulling the boat forward by the rope :D )

• Like 2

It's an inshore crab fishery around there.

Most of the catch goes to Spain apparently.

I'll ask about prawns.

You do see some folks out there with shrimp nets.

Sorta big half moon shaped jobs on a long pole with a board at the front.

Prawns we do eat, never tried catching any yet though.

:).

Edited by GrandmasterP

Update.

Well that old boy we're buying the cottage off must be related to a barnacle cos he's hanging out moving and no mistake.

We were looking for 6th September completion but heard today that it'll be " Not before 23rd September" . So it may be October now before we're in.

Still and all we've never yet had a totally 'smooth' house move.

Once would have been nice.

Hey ho.

Edited by GrandmasterP