BaguaKicksAss

Gathering questions for an interview with Dr. Jerry Alan Johnson

Edit, I'm asking the yin/yang question like this:

Which side of the human body is Yin & which is Yang? What I would like to know is whether yin and yang aspects of right and left are inherent, absolute qualities or whether this may be considered more of a sort of suggestion, a paradigm, one potential school of how to channel these opposing (e.g. radiant vs. receiving) energies, which then may naturally be different in different schools.

I know in your books you insist that the left side is yang, the right yin. What we would like to know is why the understanding of this differentiation is relevant, e.g. in specific healing or medical applications.

• Like 2

This is what I'm thinking of for the question list, though there are a couple of 2 parters, which is sort of cheating, so I may revise a bit..

1. If a person only has half an hour to an hour per day to practice your system of Qigong and/or Neigong, what would you recommend they focus on and start with?

2. Can folks practice your methods and practices (from the books alone without any additional teaching? Are there problems they would run into from doing this? What about medical qigong from books only?

3. You had talked before about how beginning energy healers can sometimes — despite their best intentions — do more harm than good on an ill person, e.g. growing cancerous tumours instead of reducing them. Can you explain what beginning or intermediate students of Qi Gong medicine must practice in order to increase their healing effect vs. harmful effects. What are the most common beginners' mistakes you have encountered in your students?

4. From what I've read, your training began primarily with the internal martial arts and eventually gravitated more toward chi kung therapy. Do you think that training the internal martial arts is an efficient way to build chi for a chi kung therapist, or should a chi kung therapist spend most of their training time differently? What would you say is the most efficient practice for a chi kung therapist to maximize their healing ability?

5. Another question concerns the archetypal merging/fusion of Yin & Yang in Taoist (and other forms) of alchemy. What exactly (theoretically & experientially) does it mean to merge or fuse the 2?

electricon.jpg

Is it like connecting a full electrical circuit like with + & - terminals? Or letting north and south magnetic poles meet?

attraction.repulsion.png

Or if they're already "fused" like electromagnetism...then how more would you "fuse" them?

electromagneticjavafigure1.jpg

6. I'd be curious to know about his personal practice. He is an expert in many disciplines, how does he schedule practicing them to remain proficient in each? Are there some pieces that he does every day? Any general guidelines for learning new skills?

7. Not long ago, I heard you tell a story in another interview about a martial arts instructor you encountered who wore rubber-soled shoes. You, at the time, felt that it was important to wear cotton-bottom shoes to increase your connection with the yin energy of the earth. In that story, you conceded to the instructor that there are far more impediments to perfect chi flow than just rubber-soled shoes (indoor plumbing and electricity and the like).

We've had several debates on the forum about topics similar to the cotton-bottom shoe issue. One poinient example being a member who vehemently asserted that, unless the hui yin was physically touching the ground or some grounded conducting wire, no yin chi could be cultivated in one's meditation practice.

My question is: Do you think that our modern western lifestyle prevents us from levels of attainment that the ancient Chinese may have reached? Is our lifestyle/environment making it harder for us to become Daoist immortals, or do you think it is a relatively minor issue?

8. Many folks do practice more than one system of qigong and/or neigong, and may wish to incorporate (though during a separate practice time), some of your exercises or practices. Is this possible? What are the risks?

9. How do you feel is best way to stop rebirth?

10. What is the final goal (if there is one) of your system/lineage?

11. How important is an understanding of the YiJing (I Ching) to Taoist cultivation practices? How can this be used to enhance ones practice?

12. As a modern materialist Westerner, the concept of ghosts and spirits is outside my conditioned framework. Is there a simple way of getting a glimpse into their reality or does it take years of study? How would such a belief help a person spiritually and in life?

<this might be covered in a book> If a person couldn't study with you, are there other teachers or organizations you'd recommend?

13. How does he see the relationship/compatibility of Buddhist and Taoist practices? Is it ok to practice both concurrently or is there need to keep them distinct?

14. Do you think chi kung healing is becoming more accepted by the western medical community? How would you like to see chi kung therapy evolve over the next ten years?

15. What is the most remarkable recovery you have seen in a chi kung clinic?

16. Which side of the human body is Yin & which is Yang? What I would like to know is whether yin and yang aspects of right and left are inherent, absolute qualities or whether this may be considered more of a sort of suggestion, a paradigm, one potential school of how to channel these opposing (e.g. radiant vs. receiving) energies, which then may naturally be different in different schools.

I know in your books you insist that the left side is yang, the right yin. What we would like to know is why the understanding of this differentiation is relevant, e.g. in specific healing or medical applications.

17. It has been suggested by one member here (yours truly) that one could explain De as akin to the virtuous creative force which other religions worship as God.

Does this make sense in your understandings of Daoism and Christianity?

Also: How would you explain the relationship between De and Dao in the Universe, creation, and in Neidan/Neigong. Thank you so much for your consideration and time.

18. Since you emphasize the importance of working through your stuff and clearing it out prior to, as well as during the neigong practice, what ends up being the result of someone practicing Neigong without doing this important aspect? What happens to them/their spirit/the fetus?

19.Is karma a legitimate Taoist concept? How does he see the relationship/compatibility of Buddhist and Taoist practices? Is it ok to practice both concurrently or is there need to keep them distinct?

20. Are there any key exercises for overall good health?

Think I got every question on here, cept maybe 1-2.

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 5

Edit, I'm asking the yin/yang question like this:

Interesting thing that I have always been taught that the right is Yang and the left is yin, but both of course are yin and yang.
  • Like 2

Wait...1 more question please! B)

There are methods and schools, mostly taoist, which claim that the state of immortality is defined as a state of pure yang. A human is both yin & yang and has to get rid of all yin or change it to yang to become an immortal. Taichi is taoist and incorporates only the absorption of yang chi (heaven chi), at least according to Chen Man Ching.

Gods, Buddhas and Immortals are considered as "heavenly" beings who are therefore pure yang.

Does JAJ subscribe to the theory that Taoist immortality is based upon transmutation or conversion to "pure Yang" ONLY? And if so, what exactly is this "pure, true Yang"...and how/why does the elimination of all Yin result in "immortality?"

And does this same theory apply to men & women alike? So, even women have to become "pure Yang" to become "immortal?"

THANK YOU!!! :D

Edited by vortex
  • Like 2

To add your question I would have to delete another (you lucked out, I have been too busy training to send the email lol). Also your "one" question, is about 4 :D. Could you please pick just one of them? :)

• Like 1

To add your question I would have to delete another (you lucked out, I have been too busy training to send the email lol). Also your "one" question, is about 4 :D. Could you please pick just one of them? :)

Hehe...what if you possibly combined #1 & #6?

1. I'd be curious to know about his personal practice. He is an expert in many disciplines, how does he schedule practicing them to remain proficient in each? Are there some pieces that he does every day? Any general guidelines for learning new skills? If a person only has half an hour to an hour per day to practice your system of Qigong and/or Neigong, what would you recommend they focus on and start with?

And then my late entry question could be summarized as: How & why is Taoist "immortality" attained by becoming only "pure Yang"...and not "pure Yin & pure Yang?" (And if so, what exactly is this "pure, true Yang?" And does this same theory apply to men & women alike? So, even women have to become "pure Yang" to become "immortal?")

MANY THANKS!!! :D

It's a single question...there are just multiple sentences with question marks at the end of them. Those are to clarify the single question. He's really just asking about "pure yang" and hoping JAJ will hit on all of those aspects of the topic.

• Like 1

Come on! 21 is a nice round magical number, is = 3 x 7, so 21 questions instead of 20 is not a big deal. :)

I'm hoping that means most folks, like me, don't actually think it really matters which deity JAJ crushes on.

I agree, I think it's not a wasted question - none would be on Jerry.

But come on. Our hearts are f#$king huge - there is plenty of room in there for every past, present, and future master that loves us unconditionally.

The Taoists never said that too much love will hamper progress.

The Tao won't stand at the finish line and say...nope sorry kiddo - Yeshua's in there no can do-roonee!

IMAG006.JPG