Unlearner

What is your motivation for practicing?

No idea whatsoever. .

I'm not joking either.

There's more confusion on here than ever.

If this forum is a typical example of what 'Daoists' are, then we're screwed.

Confused ? You bet.

Yes, we're screwed and confused, you bet....!!!

It is not the forum that was screwed but it was the people who provide the information. The forum is only a meeting place which gives us a chance to express ourselves. It is up to a true Taoist to sort out the facts from all the misinformation and make corrections in accordance with the purest concepts. These purest concepts may be learned from the principles in the Tao Te Ching. By using these principles as a guide line, thus any misinformation or fallacy may be rejected for keeping the known facts in tact. This process was considered to be purifying the mind. Indeed, purifying the mind is the main practice for a Taoist which has been known as the Cultivation of Xing(修性). Another is the Cultivation of Ming(修命). The combination of both was known as the Dual Cultivation of Xing and Ming(DCXM). In plain English, DCXM is the Dual Cultivation of the Mind and Body.

Taoists are mandatory to hold the DCXM as a standard practice. Of course, there is one more important concept which is Wu Wei(無為). Its concept is "let everything be the way it suppose to be" or "let Nature take its course". The only, and only, intention is not to interfere or interrupt Nature if possible.

Yes, we're screwed and confused, you bet....!!!

It is not the forum that was screwed but it was the people who provide the information. The forum is only a meeting place which gives us a chance to express ourselves. It is up to a true Taoist to sort out the facts from all the misinformation and make corrections in accordance with the purest concepts. These purest concepts may be learned from the principles in the Tao Te Ching. By using these principles as a guide line, thus any misinformation or fallacy may be rejected for keeping the known facts in tact. This process was considered to be purifying the mind. Indeed, purifying the mind is the main practice for a Taoist which has been known as the Cultivation of Xing(修性). Another is the Cultivation of Ming(修命). The combination of both was known as the Dual Cultivation of Xing and Ming(DCXM). In plain English, DCXM is the Dual Cultivation of the Mind and Body.

Taoists are mandatory to hold the DCXM as a standard practice. Of course, there is one more important concept which is Wu Wei(無為). Its concept is "let everything be the way it suppose to be" or "let Nature take its course". The only, and only, intention is not to interfere or interrupt Nature if possible.

Thank you for your answer ChiDragon.

I think you have described Daoism as it should be, not how it's portrayed on this, and other forums.

This is how I try to live.

DCXM, I like that. :)

Many blessings to you.

• Like 1

No idea whatsoever. .

I'm not joking either.

There's more confusion on here than ever.

If this forum is a typical example of what 'Daoists' are, then we're screwed.

John Chang this, and Mo Pai that.

Qigong, neigong, neidan.

Philisophical, religious, atheist, creationist, anarchist, communist.

Learned, unlearned. Lettered, unlettered.

Buddhist, schmuddist, vedantic, pedantic.

Ch'an, zen, thai, tibetan.

Christian, mystic, orthodox, gnostic.

Meditation, zhan zhuang, tai chi, contemplation.

Self, no-self, I AM, enneagram.

Big bang, yin, yang, wu-wei, ziran.

Confused ? You bet.

Glad I'm not the only one who became more instead of less confused about what Taoism is and what Taoists do since coming here :). All I can figure with myself is maybe I'm at some point in my understanding where it gets more confusing before it starts to make sense.... I hope anyways.

• Like 1

Aha!

States of relative confusion and clarity follow one another.

Observe the flow, man.

I love this place.

It's kinda super cool.

Like me.

Er, motivation for practising?

To love and be of service is what I desire.

And maybe one more little thing too.

By this, I practice some of the principles that Taoists do but not just other people.

You mean after all this time you have been, here, with TTB and you have no idea what a Taoist is.....???

Well, I guess you already answered one of my questions, being "what is a Taoist?", but I think it's curious the way you phrased what you said. It seems like you want to live "like" a Taoist, and do things that are similar to what Taoists do, but does that imply that you don't actually consider yourself Taoist? or that the practices you do are simply "like" the practices that Taoists do? Sounds like imitation to me.

Well, I guess you already answered one of my questions, being "what is a Taoist?", but I think it's curious the way you phrased what you said. It seems like you want to live "like" a Taoist, and do things that are similar to what Taoists do, but does that imply that you don't actually consider yourself Taoist? or that the practices you do are simply "like" the practices that Taoists do? Sounds like imitation to me.

Yes, I may consider myself is tending to be a Taoist because I am practicing some of the Taoist principles. However, I may not be considered myself as a true Taoist because I am still living in a modern life style. In general, since I do practice the DCXM(see post #26), thus that will make me a Taoist or semi-Taoist.

Edited to add:

In regards to imitation, if I practice something without any understanding and just do it, then it would be an imitation. However, it is not in my case. I do understand the principles behind all my practices.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

A true taoist cannot live a modern lifestyle?? :blink::wacko: By saying that, you have just thrown wu-wei out with the bathwater haha...

Ever heard of adaptation and integration? Isn't that one of the core principles that guide a practitioner of Tao?

Sounds like you need to revise and tweak your basic understanding quite a bit, Mr CD! :)

In the beginning I wanted to become more compassionate and powerful and reduce suffering and become more healthy and stable and maybe even have some experiences like bliss etc. But in the process it has all changed, now I see that I get absolutely nothing out of all this; what a shock that was hahaha. Now its just a case of seeing if there is anything which can be done which reduces the resistance to what is.

• Like 4

Yes, I may consider myself is tending to be a Taoist because I am practicing some of the Taoist principles. However, I may not be considered myself as a true Taoist because I am still living in a modern life style. In general, since I do practice the DCXM(see post #26), thus that will make me a Taoist or semi-Taoist.

Edited to add:

In regards to imitation, if I practice something without any understanding and just do it, then it would be an imitation. However, it is not in my case. I do understand the principles behind all my practices.

CT: A true taoist cannot live a modern lifestyle??

CT.....

Thanks for your advice, but please reread my comments. Thanks.... ;)

Edited by ChiDragon

CT.....

Thanks for your advice, but please reread my comments. Thanks.... ;)

i did. You clearly said that due to living a modern lifestyle, you are prevented from being seen as a true Taoist.

Another head-scratcher i say.

• Like 1

namo amituofo namo amituofo namo amituofo namo amituofo namo amituofo namo amituofo namo amituofo namo amituofo namo amituofo namo amituofo

• Like 1