Sign in to follow this  
Songtsan

There are absolutely no absolutes...

...except for the absolute that there are no absolutes, which protects the statement absolutely.

Please be rational and logical, but you aren't absolutely required to be rational and logical.

This is the perfect place to discuss how nothing can be perfect!

My ego wishes you were wrong but I know that you are right. I have often said that there are absolutely some things I just would not do but I know that even this is not true, depending on the circumstances.

But there are some things that come close, like, the universe exists. And "I am."

• Like 1

So depending on the circumstances there might not be absolutely absolute absolutes, which might change, as circumstances do, so if you absolutely logically follow this train of thought you might end up with (a) more absolutely absolute absolute(s), while rationally the FIRST thought might be that the general statement of no absolutes shouldn't include absolutely absolute absolutes, so would contradict either one or even two of your not absolute requirements, thereby proving the non-absolute character of the provided preconditions.

?

:D

Edited by Yascra
  • Like 1

absolute zero is always absolute zero, just sayin'

But as soon as you observe it it is no longer absolute zero.

(Hehehe. That is not a valid statement but it sounds like some of the stuff I hear from quantum physicists.)

So depending on the circumstances there might not be absolutely absolute absolutes, which might change, as circumstances do, so if you absolutely logically follow this train of thought you might end up with (a) more absolutely absolute absolute(s), while rationally the FIRST thought might be that the general statement of no absolutes shouldn't include absolutely absolute absolutes, so would contradict either one or even two of your not absolute requirements, thereby proving the non-absolute character of the provided preconditions.

?

:D

Hehehe. Yeah. I won't even try to respond to that one.

However, as Tao, the universe, and everything within is dynamic, who is to say what is absolute or not?

But as soon as you observe it it is no longer absolute zero.

(Hehehe. That is not a valid statement but it sounds like some of the stuff I hear from quantum physicists.)

Eeeh, not absolutely, actually. They would just claim that at the moment they'd observe it they could not absolutely KNOW about it :P

• Like 1

Here is a symbolic representation of how a thing, idea, etc. can approach a zenith, but never quite touch on absolute...forgive the poor quality - I drew this in Windows Paint. The actual curve would be more lie a quarter circle, and the lines would forever draw closer to the X/Y axes, yet never touch.

15gwaq9.jpg

The 0% and 100% are untouchable. The extremes are just forever receding zeniths, representing infinite nature - no beginning, no end...I have often found this concept useful in my idea that there are no absolutes. Even if there are absolutes, this concept applies to almost anything.

Edited by Songtsan

mind itself is duality thus it can only split hairs, for example it can keep splitting hairs down to the sub of sub atomic particles (etc..) but that mind will never know rest beyond such splitting of hairs, which is fine when one has to deal with hair.

but to get beyond hair one has to get to the root of it, - is that why old masters are sometimes bald - I don't know.

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 3

From Mr. G.

"You know the prayer 'Holy God, Holy the Firm, Holy the Immortal'? This prayer comes from ancient knowledge. Holy God means the Absolute or All. Holy the Firm also means the Absolute or Nothing. Holy the Immortal signifies that which is between them, that is, the six notes of the ray of creation, with organic life. All three taken together make one. This is the coexistent and indivisible Trinity.

Edited by 3bob

How about that the external is not under our control. Is that an absolute?

no because it partially is under our control...just a small amount...like butterfly wings in a hurricane. We are after all, a part of it.

Nothing is under our control. We might be under the assertion that we can control things; but that is just our observation. We cannot control the external; only the internal.

the internal and the external inter-are

no because it partially is under our control...just a small amount...like butterfly wings in a hurricane. We are after all, a part of it.

And if we do not want to be harmed by the hurricane we can simply get out of harm's way.

Nothing is under our control. We might be under the assertion that we can control things; but that is just our observation. We cannot control the external; only the internal.

I am, in a way, controlling some of your posts in this thread as well as other threads. Anything you respond to that I have said is a way of my controlling what you say. The same can be said for you with me and others.

• Like 1

asgpokg90q24it09aweta0sdkgfads0-kf0-3q4 ktaw0-gkd-0sk1!!!!!!! PINEAPPLES!

Hehehe. See? You just had to show that you have control. Funny how we do that. (Yes, me too.)

I used to love pineapple upside-down cake.

?

Yeah, I didn't understand that either. Hehehe.

Inter-being!

co-dependently originating!

interdependently arising!

mutually co-existent!

Yin/Yang!

Non-dual!

Sign in to follow this