Sign in to follow this  
4bsolute

What Qigong style is it?

Qigong Walking (xixihu) are the main subjects in my classes.

(But for myself, I practice more spontaneous movement and spiraling forms, like it says under my name, haha)

Ah so you also practise Guo Lin Walking Qigong?

I get it from the XiXihu, two times inhale and one time exhale.

It was also very popular in China

to treat cancer and was developed by Guo Lin

by an more ancient form of Qigong she learned.

A word is that it looks much like stepping in Xing Yi Quan

with its half step and this again look much like

the Pace of Yü which is to step on foot, feet together reverse foot

doing the same.

• Like 1

From what I could find out about 'Soaring Crane' it seems to be related to 'Cosmos Qigong'. Yan Xin and Wong Kiew Kit are practitioners of 'Cosmos'. I would add that all forms are related in some way and are fragments of a larger system.

SC is a 'new' form, created in 1980, meaning it assimilates aspects common to the huge body of qigong that came before it. So, there's nothing genuinely 'new' in it, but the system itself is quite unique. It's most commonly confused with Shaolin White Crane, which is totally different, and coincidentally one of the forms I've learned most intensively ...

• Like 1

Ah so you also practise Guo Lin Walking Qigong?

Yes, exactly! Prof Cong also brought that to Germany but Guo Lin gets the credit, so to speak. It's actually, two in, one out, one pause, no breath. With variations for the organs. Very powerful, very therapeutic.

You have experience? :)

My teacher, Dieter Hölle: http://www.qigong-gesellschaft.de/dqgg-publik/qigong-material#Organschritte

This is for Kidney and Spleen walking

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 1

Yes, exactly! Prof Cong also brought that to Germany but Guo Lin gets the credit, so to speak. It's actually, two in, one out, one pause, no breath. With variations for the organs. Very powerful, very therapeutic.

You have experience? :)

Little because I had in the late 90th get it in the Esotera, a new age magazine.

Also played with the normal walking where one hands project

to the abdomen.

I found also the video years ago in the internet

and found it abit off how it is puplic teach in the variants of only nose

and by using tones.

When they "sang" XiXiHu I was perplexed

as I realized that time the six healing sounds

came from observing of sound created in stressful situation

and at times also change spontaneus into other sound which

would be categorize for other organs.

In the end the hearable sound cease to soundless.

When sound was produced by the organ by putting awareness

it would spontaneus cause a sound if one allow.

I found that it also varies in different degree with the six healing

sound Mantak Chia use.

Which seem to be the degree the stress is in the organ.

Taken the Liu Zi Jue has the sound Chart I find most

real and practical http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liu_Zi_Jue

嘻 XI [pronounced like 'she' with tongue high, and well forward, in the mouth] - 'mirthful' - Regulate the Triple Burner Qi[1]

呼 HU [pronounced like 'who'] - 'to sigh,' 'to exhale,' or 'to call' - Cultivate [or Shore Up] the Spleen/Pancreas Qi

So this combination is from analyzing another book : Energy Medicine by Donna Eden very interesting.

Ms.Eden said something when I remember correctly that the Triple Burner has to often sedated and

trace the Meridian backwards and a bit forward at the end to lower the Adrenalin or so.

Also the Spleen has very importance in that system.

It gives a light body.

Also the double inhale is highly interesting to watch for.

As it is not two short but 2 full inhale.

Actually when the posture change one can inhale again

mostly as if one has breath out.

There is a time that 2 times inhale does not work

when one has full balanced the inhale

that one can do 1 inhale with the amount of 2 Inhale.

(This result in 1 inhale and 1 exhale)

I like the flow of this discussion Soaring Crane, thank you!

Edited by Friend

Little because I had in the late 90th get it in the Esotera, a new age magazine.

Also played with the normal walking where one hands project

to the abdomen.

I found also the video years ago in the internet

and found it abit off how it is puplic teach in the variants of only nose

and by using tones.

as I realized that time the six healing sounds

came from observing of sound created in stressful situation

and at times also change spontaneus into other sound which

would be categorize for other organs.

In the end the hearable sound cease to soundless.

When sound was produced by the organ by putting awareness

it would spontaneus cause a sound if one allow.

I found that it also varies in different degree with the six healing

sound Mantak Chia use.

Which seem to be the degree the stress is in the organ.

Taken the Liu Zi Jue has the sound Chart I find most

real and practical http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liu_Zi_Jue

嘻 XI [pronounced like 'she' with tongue high, and well forward, in the mouth] - 'mirthful' - Regulate the Triple Burner Qi[1]

呼 HU [pronounced like 'who'] - 'to sigh,' 'to exhale,' or 'to call' - Cultivate [or Shore Up] the Spleen/Pancreas Qi

So this combination is from analyzing another book : Energy Medicine by Donna Eden very interesting.

Ms.Eden said something when I remember correctly that the Triple Burner has to often sedated and

trace the Meridian backwards and a bit forward at the end to lower the Adrenalin or so.

Also the Spleen has very importance in that system.

It gives a light body.

Also the double inhale is highly interesting to watch for.

As it is not two short but 2 full inhale.

Actually when the posture change one can inhale again

mostly as if one has breath out.

There is a time that 2 times inhale does not work

when one has full balanced the inhale

that one can do 1 inhale with the amount of 2 Inhale.

(This result in 1 inhale and 1 exhale)

I like the flow of this discussion Soaring Crane, thank you!

I agree that this is a good discussion. Let's keep it going. I am always open to developing a deeper practice.

If anyone wants a copy of Yan Xin's class I will send it out. The recording of the class is not copyright. It took me five years to find this rare teaching.

• Like 3

what you describe is very new to me, unknown.

I learned, and practice, very short breaths. Just a little puff, silent, strictly through the nose, and initiated in the belly when possible. The 'xi xi hu' is only spoken when done in groups, by the one leading the session. The role of leader can, and generally does, pass though the group. So I might lead for a while but when I feel I've done enough, I make eye contact with someone and they take over.

It's generally very, very slow. But we vary the speed and can also move very quickly. I run with a xi-xi-ho-ho pattern, for example.

The crux of xixiho (as I learned it) is the pause. We quite literally breathe in twice, and only breathe out once, but it's a "four beat". On the fourth "beat", we don't exhale, but we focus and 'push' internally, down though Longchuan. Or directly into the LDT, or mingmen (which is seen at the same thing), depends on the need and the feeling. Takes a long to get used to.

I've never connected any sounds with the form, but my learning experience is limited to what I learned with Dieter (and also Petra Hinterthür come to think of it). Very interesting what you posted, thank you :)

• Like 1

Interesting, thank you! I wonder if that was included due to the unfavorable status of the form in China?

As far as I know, it's being practiced again in China, btw.

Most of the time, "Internal" means internal to the school only rather than national wise.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

what you describe is very new to me, unknown.

I learned, and practice, very short breaths. Just a little puff, silent, strictly through the nose, and initiated in the belly when possible. The 'xi xi hu' is only spoken when done in groups, by the one leading the session. The role of leader can, and generally does, pass though the group. So I might lead for a while but when I feel I've done enough, I make eye contact with someone and they take over.

It's generally very, very slow. But we vary the speed and can also move very quickly. I run with a xi-xi-ho-ho pattern, for example.

The crux of xixiho (as I learned it) is the pause. We quite literally breathe in twice, and only breathe out once, but it's a "four beat". On the fourth "beat", we don't exhale, but we focus and 'push' internally, down though Longchuan. Or directly into the LDT, or mingmen (which is seen at the same thing), depends on the need and the feeling. Takes a long to get used to.

I've never connected any sounds with the form, but my learning experience is limited to what I learned with Dieter (and also Petra Hinterthür come to think of it). Very interesting what you posted, thank you :)

Seem to be there are many variations

I also have seen one of Master Master Wu Weizhao

with two exhales and one inhale.

Thanks for the variation (It was also new for me that Prof Cong

was behind too.) with no breathing and the 4th beat.

Something I can add for the normal walking from my observation

with one palm facing the dantien and the other hang down at the side.

The arm that hangs down is having the back facing

to the front not to the side!

This has to be done by taking back the chest.

When the chest sticks out like soldier the hands

will rotate the arm making the palm to the side.

This can develop a breathing habit which is a bit high and not so good.

People call that Supermansyndrom.

Edit : Here you can read this article

http://www.breathing.com/articles/superman-syndrome.htm

Also the arm making the palm facing the Dantien has to have open armpits.

This is a said since some people press the ellbows against there side

and close the armpit.

A bit awareness on expand the lungs on that side is increase the expansion

while checking to release some extra tension.

The halfstep serves at that time to almost

no presssure to breath in also because of the more stronger bend knee

and the second step gives pressure.

I find from my observation the Walking Qigong

is awesome high tech build form if one can read it

for higher oxygination, expand of breathing space

and fluidity of the breathing by connecting to breath parts.

Edited by Friend

I have a pdf book by Yan Xin that is in Chinese if anyone here can read it. Translation for those of us who don't read Chinese?

• Like 1

Thanks for the translation! A very close friend of mine speaks fluent Chinese but she is in Kathmandu for 9 more months.

You welcome!

Perhaps due the statement at the end, they did not mention about breathing at all and tried to be secretive about their style.

There's an excellent DVD available in German from the Deutsche Qigong Gesellschaft, and it's, ahem, a form I'm somewhat familiar with :-)

It's very common in Germany (the op is German), one of the most widely-known form. But it's a new form. He was asking for old daoist practices.

Anyway, How's your experience so far? Maybe we should start a thread specifically for Soaring Crane :-D

Yeah better start a new thread, thank you for pointing out. "Soraing Crane" also von der "DQG" ?

• Like 2

I was taught a system that is about 3800 years old, and was until recently secret and is still essentially unknown outside of a small handful of people. Tien Shan Chi kung. A completely unsimplified system, in fact it's the opposite, containing what's called the ten thousand techniques and takes over a decade to learn, meaning it's absolutely unsuited to the modern mind. It is a martial type nei kung; internal alchemy, and includes, spiritual path of the warrior, exercise system for martial artists, path of the wizard, path of the healer.

I will have a look, much appreciated.

BKA mentioned Zhan Zhuang.

The value of this practice will show in every form of Qigong or MA you will ever do.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Way-Energy-Mastering-Internal/dp/0671736450/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388094106&sr=8-1&keywords=way+of+energy

Mostly impressive about this book is using a wall.

The idea behind using this tool is different than other books

which can be used to make unnecessary tension more visible to

the concious awareness.

Something similar was in Tai Chi Movie using trees.

Most obvious used is in Wall Squatting in Zhineng Qigong.

In Karate the Makiwara a plan covered with robes and 2/3 in the ground

serves a similar thing to test the effectivness of ones posture

as it reflects the attack.

Chi will follow the breath. When I first learned qigong, the teachers never taught that but I knew that the breath was necessary for the proper flow of chi. I just felt it.

You are somewhat enlightened about the idea about Chi. There is something hidden in your statement. If "Chi follows the breath" is true, then it also implicates that Chi may be in the breath from the air that one breathes.

May I ask you this? Everyone breathes, Chi should follow the breath and it also should be benefited as Chi Kung practitioners would. However, but why did a Chi Kung practitioner benefits more than an ordinary person.....??? Do you think that you might have a good explanation why?

Edited by ChiDragon

However, but why did a Chi Kung practitioner benefits more than an ordinary person.....??? Do you think that you might have a good explanation why?

Probably because qigong practitioners are taught to be aware of the full scope of deep, slow, abdominal breathing as they are practicing. Ordinary people who don't practice qigong just breathe, normally without giving it a second thought as to how they do it.

• Like 1

You are somewhat enlightened about the idea about Chi. There is something hidden in your statement. If "Chi follows the breath" is true, then it also implicates that Chi may be in the breath from the air that one breathes.

May I ask you this? Everyone breathes, Chi should follow the breath and it also should be benefited as Chi Kung practitioners would. However, but why did a Chi Kung practitioner benefits more than an ordinary person.....??? Do you think that you might have a good explanation why?

Good explanations take time.

Time can, in one way, be measured by number of breath cycles.

Better to conserve energy than to indulge analytical curiosities.

Benefits are derived from conservation, not so much from taking positions regarding good and ordinary.

What is good will become ordinary; what is ordinary will become good.

Be natural, like the clouds and the blue mountain.

Just do it.

:P

• Like 2

Probably because qigong practitioners are taught to be aware of the full scope of deep, slow, abdominal breathing as they are practicing. Ordinary people who don't practice qigong just breathe, normally without giving it a second thought as to how they do it.

Adept has explained as simple as that. It is not that complicated to understand if one knows the basic fundamentals. This is the simplest definition, to keep in mind, for a beginner without any knowledge about Chi Kung. People had read too many books and learned somebody else's fallacies and get so confused about Chi Kung.

If people do not know how to do abdominal breathing, how did your teacher tell you about going at it, Adept.....???

Edited by ChiDragon

If people do not know how to do abdominal breathing, how did your teacher tell you about going at it, Adept.....???

It has always been the natural way to breathe for me, the only way I have breathed as long as I can remember. When I came into contact with qigong, and the teachers that helped me along the way, it only confirmed what I already knew.

So, I didn't need any further instruction on the breathing part of qigong, and as a consequence, had a head start.

After that, everything fell into place.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this