BaguaKicksAss

So how do you guys do stuff? Idiot's guide in plain english?

BKA, if you don't mind I will derail this thread from Buddhism to Bagua.

Consider the way in which pressure is used in the practice. Consider the role of pressure and release in the mother palms. Consider the role of pressure on the sole of the foot as you pull yourself into each step.Consider the role of pressure when you bridge with someone else's arms. Consider the role of pressure when their actions elicit a response from you.

How do you respond to pressure? Do you allow coping mechanisms based on successful responses from the past to initiate cascades of engagement; or can you ride the changes in pressure as the engagement unfolds? Do prior experiences affect the quality of responses to pressure; are some pressures harder to receive because of mental-emotional scars or experiences?

A light touch on the shoulder and a light touch on the eye-ball may be the same amount of pressure from the other side, yet to receive them engenders very different responses in ourselves. It is often the same when receive a force from another, whether physical, cognitive, emotional or otherwise. The response to pressure is an active place for the practice to play out.

Plain language and no resorting to jargon or untranslatable terminology except for "mother palms" which has a Bagua specific meaning..

Edited by kevin_wallbridge
  • Like 3

BKA, if you don't mind I will derail this thread from Buddhism to Bagua.

Consider the way in which pressure is used in the practice. Consider the role of pressure and release in the mother palms. Consider the role of pressure on the sole of the foot as you pull yourself into each step.Consider the role of pressure when you bridge with someone else's arms. Consider the role of pressure when their actions elicit a response from you.

How do you respond to pressure? Do you allow coping mechanisms based on successful responses from the past to initiate cascades of engagement; or can you ride the changes in pressure as the engagement unfolds? Do prior experiences affect the quality of responses to pressure; are some pressures harder to receive because of mental-emotional scars or experiences?

A light touch on the shoulder and a light touch on the eye-ball may be the same amount of pressure from the other side, yet to receive them engenders very different responses in ourselves. It is often the same when receive a force from another, whether physical, cognitive, emotional or otherwise. The response to pressure is an active place for the practice to play out.

Plain language and no resorting to jargon or untranslatable terminology except for "mother palms" which has a Bagua specific meaning..

That's pretty decent, but the reason why I post the jargon instead of just English translations: there are several different English translations for any given term, which affect the outcome of search results and sometimes the quality. The only problem with your analogy is that it doesn't address the specific condition which gives rise to afflicted experience.

As with anything else - you gotta' do the wrok.

Wrok around the cRock, MH? :D

• Like 1

Wrok around the cRock, MH? :D

Hehehe. You stop messing with my messes. Yeah, we gonna Rcok aroudn the Colck.

(Have you noticed that I don't use spellchecker? I'm too spontaneous to do that.)

• Like 1

So a bunch of buddhist folks have been posting interesting stuff in a couple of threads I've started.

Interesting, but really really confusing.

Soooooo can anyone explain how you guys do the practical stuff, but in plain basic english with no words in other languages? ;)

It's really difficult to keep track when I have to read an entire page about 20 different words in one post....

I know there are english concepts/equivalences to a lot of this stuff...

I've at least meditated lots, so likely can understand concepts/experiences, just not all these confusing words.

(not I feel like one of those folks who asks me to use less big words ROFL).

As they seem unable to do this, I'll run Buddhism 101 (in my PPF ;) ) within the next couple of weeks :)

• Like 1

Gatito, I'm not surprised that your obsessed with Brahman - the real question is why do you want to try to impose your Brahman on everyone else? :)

Why don't you just post a bibliography instead of all this cutting and pasting?

I'm not suprised that you're obsessed with suffering - the real question is why do you want to try to impose your suffering on everyone else? :)

and your response:-

Gatito, I'm not surprised that your obsessed with Brahman - the real question is why do you want to try to impose your Brahman on everyone else? :)

I admit of my extreme prejudice towards eternalist doctrines such as Vedanta. Now it's your turn.

Now, why are you unable to admit to your own hypocrisy?

The one I do is permissible to do in a car without any visualization.

So I do when driving.

Interesting.

Would you like to elaborate on this ?

Soooooo can anyone explain how you guys do the practical stuff, but in plain basic english with no words in other languages?

Practice from Taoism: horse stance after my main meditation session, around 7mins most days. More or less depending on ability and willpower.

Practices from yoga/Hinduism: sun salutation for 3mins and alternate nostril breathing for 5 mins, before my main meditation session.

Practices from Buddhism:

1) The Chundi mantra, when I'm not doing something else. Sometimes with prostration.

2) Two meditation practices, both of the concentration/mental stability/quiescence variety - the idea is to develop a very pliant mind with relaxation, stability and vividness.

i) 30mins mindfulness of breathing, basically concentrating on the tactile sensations at the nostrils as in The Attention Revolution by Alan Wallace.

ii) 60mins resting the mind in it's natural state. This is concentration on the mind itself - watching whatever goes on in there and trying to not control it or make value judgements about it; when the mind seems silent, trying to focus enough to notice the subtle stuff going on under the surface. Eyes open to help stop conceiving of the mind as 'in here'. As in Stilling the Mind by the same guy.

Edited by Seeker of Tao
  • Like 3

I do my practice in the lucid dream state.

Unfortunately I can't get the Wake Initiated Lucid Dream going, which is the proper night practice.

• Like 2