soaren

MEDITATION GURU NEEDED: Is Chi the energy you feel in Chakras?

I am into martial arts (if my picture didn't make it obvious), an the more and more I learn I realize that the internal (of the spirituality behind) martial arts.

I just started meditating. I'm not looking for a scientific debate (what is x etc), I'm looking for real insight from someone with experience. I'm looking for feeling (it's a spiritual matter), not scientific insight.

My goal is to understand at a spiritual level what chi IS, for personal development and for my martial arts. What it (chi) FEELS LIKE. Everything I've read has basically stated it is something that you tangibly can "feel". Whether that means feel like physical body sensations (muscle fatigue/papercut etc) or feel as in a sort of "seeing" sense, sorta like a sixth sense feel.

I'm going to ask in the form of a question:

Since I cannot "feel" my chakras (kundalini 101 videos on youtube be damned), I am going to start doing muscle tensation and relaxation techniques and yoga to become very in touch with how my (physical) body is feeling, and that'll probably help me learn to be more "in the now", a part of Daoism and Hinduism that I fail at miserably. I am horribly unkinesthetic. Most of the time my body is completely numb to my conciousness unless I really think about how a particular body part feels. Sometimes it actually takes mental effort to "feel" my feet for example.

From there I am assuming I will eventually have some spiritual event or insight that will allow me to "feel" the energy that is in my chakras and dantains, that's kinda of the progression I think a lot of the hindu texts imply occurs in students of "The Path". Is this how it happened for you as you started developing in your meditative journey? You first felt your muscles, then you felt the chakra "energy", and was that chi? Or is chi something different?

Long Question. Thanks!

- Soaren

People's sensitivity to Chi varies widely. Generally speaking the more you practice working with Chi the stronger you feel it. I recommend a daily Chi Kung practice.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

I am not sure you are in the right queue here. ^_^ I dont think you will find any Chi experts in this aisle.

• Like 1

I just started meditating. I'm not looking for a scientific debate (what is x etc), I'm looking for real insight from someone with experience. I'm looking for feeling (it's a spiritual matter), not scientific insight.

I am going to start doing muscle tensation and relaxation techniques and yoga to become very in touch with how my (physical) body is feeling, and that'll probably help me learn to be more "in the now", a part of Daoism and Hinduism that I fail at miserably. I am horribly unkinesthetic. Most of the time my body is completely numb to my conciousness unless I really think about how a particular body part feels. Sometimes it actually takes mental effort to "feel" my feet for example.

Meditation.

Concentrate the mind on the the sensations that arise in the mind through the gates of the physical senses.

Pay close attention to them, perhaps each in turn of the five.

Doing this will naturally still the mind.

And make you more sensitive.

That is a useful form of meditation, I feel.

I am not an expert from having read texts.

Actually, I did read loads of texts, but no technical manuals if you like.

Nor did I study with a master.

But I did basic exercises with good intent for years.

And I couldn't say much about chi nor chakras neither to be honest.

Except something happened to me.

I don't want to be studied though.

I hope that helps!

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell

Yeah, there must be plenty a real xperts round here.

My goodness, I just responded to "meditation guru needed."

I'll get zapped for the hubris one of these days.

I ain't really no sort a guru.

Seriously.

Hmnn, I did 13 years of Ki Aikido. We'd have one weekly ki class where instead of martial arts we'd work on ki related stuff. Ki is subtle. Easier to demonstrate then feel, easier to see the results of, then feel. We'd often use the metaphor of 'it' being like water flowing through our extended limbs. Not really correct, but when you're in a state of relaxed extension, you're sending Ki.

Physically a relaxed extension. Not necessarily different then a good dancer.

Mentally, a sharp but relaxed awareness, not grasping and having no gaps, of whats going on all around you.

Ofcourse Japanese are (in general) much more into the hara center then chakras. There intent and definitions much simpler then other oriental cultures.

O'Sensei learned calligraphy because it was a way to see Ki. Frozen in time, ink on paper. Within the lines of great calligraphy you see the relaxed extension, sometimes extending out through details of the smallest hair of the brush. The lines move without break or hesitation, gliding in a perfect timing to spread ink just so.

Many great martial artists were master calligraphers. Thus a roundabout way to genuinely feel and show Ki, is the Way of the Brush. Hopefully this isn't moving too far away from the OP's direction.

• Like 1

O'Sensei learned calligraphy because it was a way to see Ki. Frozen in time, ink on paper. Within the lines of great calligraphy you see the relaxed extension, sometimes extending out through details of the smallest hair of the brush. The lines move without break or hesitation, gliding in a perfect timing to spread ink just so.

I love it!

Thank you ever so much for your contribution thelerner!

The moving hand hath writ, nor all thy piety nor wit!

Oh yes.