juliank

Ego and Attachment

Ah, now were talking about self. What a marvelous word. Make sure to kill you fake self but find your real self! That's what it's all about, isn't it? :)

(Nice, they put my smiley face on the list)

• Like 1

I figure different people would address that differently..but I'm not convinced that there is anything wrong with you.. all joking aside.. are you sure you are malfunctioning? There are illusions that are common, and they lead to less than optimal life perhaps, but if you are happy as you are, you're doing well. I suggest not to buy into bullshit subjective opinions that other folks might lay on you..that being said ..you still will have the consequences of their opinions to deal with.

Consider well what you aren't doing right as you see it, the answers may become self evident..then you just gotta do it.

• Like 1

No!! :lol: That comes later, doctor Pavel. What I'm saying is that you've got to verify legally, morally, ethically, spiritually, physically, positively, absolutely, undeniably and reliably that you see the fake self (=Freud's "ego" vulgarly). And then you'll probably have to find a munchkin coroner to finalize the deal.

OK, but that's so you can discover your real self, right? I guess discover isn't the best word, but I'm illiterate.

Well, that's enough for now, I'm going to go raise hell on an aircraft designers forum.

Edited by Starjumper

You really are doctor Pavel! The fire rises and you immediately want to run off to design a better airplane. Don't you see it's already cut in half in the most ridiculous way! But yes.. your fear is well founded: They expect one of us in the wreckage, brother.

:wub:

I'm impressed by your observational abilities, but I'm sorry I don't get what you mean by fire rises. It's interesting you mention my fear, because of my mental blockages I don't seem to be able to get in touch with that fear, but what is it founded on?

Also, last night after raising some hell on the aircraft designers forum, I realized that it's not the real self we need to implement, it's true self. So not fake self or real self, but false self and true self.

But I have a question, what exactly is the self?

Edited by Starjumper

If only it can be found. :)

You won't find it. It is a mental concept. No physical reality.

(Hehehe. I just thought, now is is one of my contradictions because I am a materialist but yet I believe in "ego" which is not a material reality.)

Please let me know if you ever find a single, definable answer to that question, Okay?

You won't find it. It is a mental concept. No physical reality.

(Hehehe. I just thought, now is is one of my contradictions because I am a materialist but yet I believe in "ego" which is not a material reality.)

:) Right on! The ego is not a form, more like a shadow. It can be seen to be present, but its not a solid entity. And yet, much fuss is made trying to understand something which is by nature merely an extension of one's conditioning process. This is how i see it, not necessarily how its suppose to be seen by others though.

Please let me know if you ever find a single, definable answer to that question, Okay?

OK, I have one.

Are you expecting me to ask:

"One what?"

No, just playing a silly word game there, plus I was waiting to see more foot in mouth from others first before describing my view of 'self'.

My views of the word self is that it's one of those unfortunate words in the English language that doesn't really mean anything. It's simply a redundant word, and since it is essentially meaningless that leaves it wide open for mass quantities of mental jerking off, in this case inspired by religious leaders.

This is how I see it. We could say: "I want you to do something" or you could say: "I want you to do something yourself". Or it could be: "I think such and such" or you could say: "I think such and such myself".

So you see, it's just another redundant way of saying you or me. So why don't people just say you or me and leave out the redundant part? Because it's a linguistic habit.

In addition, there's no such thing as a false self or a true self. Is there a false me, is there a true me? I don't think so, it's just me, and I'm certainly opinionated, aren't I, myself?

There are structures in your psyche which filter your experience and make the energy move along certain grooves. These structures are not bad because at one point in our growth they served to protect us and help our growth, but they outlive their usefulness and then like all things in the universe they try to survive when they are no longer needed. One of the ways they survive is by convincing you you have to get rid of them or change them or improve them, because what you resist and fight against just feeds energy into the dynamic and keeps one half of it out of the light of conscious awareness.

Ultimately you can't find these structures except in the imagination and then from the mind they create sensations and tensions in the body which makes the scripts they run off seem completely real, but it is only useful to treat them as unreal and imagination if you really see that as the truth otherwise you are going to end dissociated from your present experience.

• Like 2

Child , Why should I put my toys away?

Parent , Because I said so.

Its not just that the thing was said but who said it.

Edited by Stosh

"Self" is a word to describe a manifestation of "that which is." "False self" is an illusion, created by the intellect to convince the intellect that it is independent of "that which is." Once "false self" is burned away, it is clear that individualization is merely a single (yet real) dimension of "that which is." Learning that "self" is simultaneously a whole and part of a whole can be dizzying.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 3

Well said Brian.

There are structures in your psyche which filter your experience and make the energy move along certain grooves. These structures are not bad because at one point in our growth they served to protect us and help our growth.

It is true that when the Gurus speak of self the are pointing to something that needs our attention, it is part of a process, particularly for thinkers, maybe something like a koan. Since it seems Taoism is the one that 'tells it like it is', where in the TTC can you find parallel comments? I would probably notice them if I read the TTC again looking for that, but I only read the TTC once every ten years or so.

I sometimes speak to the concepts of "self" and "Self".

"self" being the "I" that I present to the external world and "Self" being my inner essence. The two may actually be different at times.

"Self" is a word to describe a manifestation of "that which is." "False self" is an illusion, created by the intellect to convince the intellect that it is independent of "that which is." Once "false self" is burned away, it is clear that individualization is merely a single (yet real) dimension of "that which is." Learning that "self" is simultaneously a whole and part of a whole can be dizzying.

Self is a tiny vortex in a great swirling pool

Just making the correlation here.

• Like 1

Well, to the concept of attachments, I present the following for consideration:

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

Kris Kristofferson

• Like 1

Well, to the concept of attachments, I present the following for consideration:

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

Kris Kristofferson

"There's lotta wrong directions on that lonely way back home"

• Like 3