Aetherous

Yidams in Vajrayana

Is it that your viewpoint is right and everything else is wrong?

No, my viewpoint isn't petty like that. You advised people to examine their experiences instead of blindly following belief systems as spoken by the Buddha. Shakyamuni Buddha taught that consciousnesses arise dependent on namarupa and by applying mindfulness we can notice these factors of experience are impermanent, unsatisfactory, not-self.

• Like 2

Thanks for indulging me Scotty :)

I've no idea because I haven't got the inclination to plough through 13 pages of "stuff". Sorry.

However, you could read John Levy and Krishna Menon if you want to try to shoehorn Direct Path Advaita into Buddhism or vice-versa. I don't believe it will work though = and that's not because I think that there's any exclusivity in Direct Path Advaita, as opposed to Buddhism or any other valid system, but that they are different paths that could be be thought of as different languages. If anyone here is truly bilingual, they'll confirm that it's the common experience of those who are that it's impossible to translate accurately from one language to another: the world appears to be subtly different according to the language in which you think.

What you call Direct Path doesn't have direct introduction.

Not very "direct" is it?

No, my viewpoint isn't petty like that. You advised people to examine their experiences instead of blindly following belief systems as spoken by the Buddha. Shakyamuni Buddha taught that consciousnesses arise dependent on namarupa and by applying mindfulness we can notice these factors of experience are impermanent, unsatisfactory, not-self.

Thanks for the clarification: it was a serious question and, incidentally, if you'd replied in the affirmative, I wouldn't have considered it "petty".

Anyway, here's a Direct Path perspective of Nama Rupa Sat Chit Ananda, Parts 1 and 2:-

Thanks for the clarification: it was a serious question and, incidentally, if you'd replied in the affirmative, I wouldn't have considered it "petty".

Anyway, here's a Direct Path perspective of Nama Rupa Sat Chit Ananda, Parts 1 and 2:-

Now apply what I posted above to Cit itself, not citta.

A bit too strongly worded perhaps?

However, I do take your point and perhaps this can now return to topic?

Let's certainly hope so.

Some sadhanas/diety practice texts contain a section where obstructive forces are expelled from the practice space and a vajra tent or wheel of protection established as a boundary to prevent further interference. Much like in the West where sacred space is declared and the profane expelled with Hekas, Hekas, este Bebeloi! Shame this couldn't/can't be done for this thread ...

[uncharitable and unkind comments removed, sorry for the harshness I'm off now to do some purification :) -/\-]

Edited by rex
  • Like 2

Here is a declaration of sacred space. Anyone posting excessive off topic comments in this thread on yidams from this point forward will be reported to the moderators and administrator for spamming and trolling...this includes continuing the previous off topic discussions in here. They are not wanted in this thread. Make a new thread or send private messages in order to continue those discussions which have nothing to do with the topic of yidams in vajrayana. Thanks for your cooperation and respect!

• Like 2

The ultimate nature of the mind which is the inseparability of emptiness and luminosity can be understood as having certain aspects which are embodied in yidams. For instance compassion in Chenrezig, purity in Vajra-Sattva and so on. By practicing with a sadhana on the chosen 'deity' it is possible to promote these aspects of mind in yourself. Essentially you are working with the non-dual nature of your mind and the yidam.

From a personal perspective I would say that working with a yidam can boost you (if that's the right way to put it) beyond where you would get to without it ... because there is (in other practice) a tendency to think you are doing something in meditation and thus a kind of sub-conscious limitation to what you feel is possible, available and does not conflict with your preconception about what you think you are doing. By relying on a yidam you can go beyond that provided you can build confidence in the sadhana. The main part in building confidence is having confidence in the teacher you gives you the initiation to do the practice ... which goes back to the previous 'discussion' about Lamas. The reason this is stressed is not about hero worshiping a Lama or indeed concentrating on their personality but, I feel, more about creating the right conditions for transmission to work effectively. Confidence in a teacher should be built over years and can include respectful challenge. This leads if successful to a genuine openness between teacher and student which allows effective vajrayana to happen in that space. Of course it is ridiculous to ask people to falsely adopt this position and it would be both ineffective and damaging to all concerned. If you come across a situation where you feel forced into this kind of thing - walk away immediately - or at least have a look at those who spin this kind of thing - very often it is their own poor practice or attitude which makes them want to persuade others into a contrived way of being.

My thoughts only of course.

Edited by Apech
  • Like 4

These translations of a couple talks given the 3rd Jamgon Kongtrul Rinpoche and Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche (of the Kagyu sect) are pretty good. They cover the three roots and and pure perception of the deity:

http://www.rinpoche.com/teachings/3roots.htm

http://www.rinpoche.com/teachings/mandala.htm

http://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-masters/khenpo-shenga/advice-on-yidam - something else worth sharing; this is not a form of Buddhist monism.

• Like 2

Yidams come from the visions of lhun grub.

Even total western oriented people see a seated Buddha and deities in yab-yum.

These things are not made by the mind.

The rules of transmission, samaya etc. are from the primordial termas.

There is no native context. These things are not made by man.

Edited....

Everything is beautiful :D

Edited by Anderson