ChiDragon

道教重要思想与教义(Taoist Important Thoughts and Canon)

性命双修是道教的重要思想与教义,也是内丹学术语

“性”“命”的含义(The meanings of Xing and Ming)

性指人的心性、思想、秉性、性格、精神等。命指人的身体、生命、能量、命运、物质等。性命双修也就是指“神形兼修”、心身全面修炼。《中和集》、《性命圭旨》、《天仙金丹心法》、《天仙正理直论》、《金仙证论》等书都有关于“性命双修”的论述。《性命圭旨》说:“何谓之性?元始真如,一灵炯炯是也。何为之命?先天至精,一气氤氲是也。”又说:“性之造化系乎心,命之造化系乎身。”陈撄宁大师说:“性即是吾人之灵觉,命即是吾人之生机。”可谓既深刻,又生动。人的生命实际上是两个生命即精神生命和生理生命的双重融合,人们通常说要身心健康,亏其一即残缺不全。所以性命二字高度概括了人生的两大要素
道教吸收了儒佛两家的心性学说,又发扬了自家传统的养生学说,遂形成性命双修的修炼理论。由此,我们可以将性命双修分为性功与命功两种,性功是道教与儒、佛相通的地方,而命功则是道教独有的传统,不讲命功,不是道教。陈撄宁大师认为,仙道贵生、乐生、重生、追求长生,所以它是生本主义,这正是道家仙学最具特色的地方。他认为性命相依,命为重。他用灯作比喻,灯油是命,灯光是性;有灯无油,灯必不能发光;徒有灯油而不能发光,则不能显现油灯照明之用;修道之意在教人积足油量,并教以点灯之法,则人生必充满光辉。

道教提倡是“性”与“命”的统一 (The Taoist religion advocates the integration of Xing and Ming)

既然命是指人的生命,性是指人的精神意识,那么很显然,对人的生存来说,两个方面都是不可缺少的,而人的存在实际上就是命与性的统一。一方面,人必须以生命的存在为基础,一旦没有了生命,人就变成一具死尸,人也就随之死亡;另一方面,人也不能离开精神意识,没有精神意识,人就变成一种纯粹的生命存在,其生活最多像动物一样,当然也谈不上作为人的存在。而且人的生命和精神意识之间还存在着密切的联系,它们互相依存、互相影响、互相作用,是一个矛盾的统一体。在道教看来,作为人,不仅要有形气所表现的生命,而且要有精神意识所表现的性,他是生命与精神意识即命与性的统一体,这就像人不仅要有形、气、神,而且是形、气、神的统一体一样。[1]

Ref: “性”与“命”; "Xing" and "Ming"

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

性命双修是道教的重要思想与教义,也是内丹学术语
The dual cultivation of Xing and Ming is the important concept of the Taoist religion and canon; and they are also the technical terms of Neidan.

“性”“命”的含义(The meanings of Xing and Ming)
性指人的心性、思想、秉性、性格、精神等。命指人的身体、生命、能量、命运、物质等。性命双修也就是指“神形兼修”、心身全面修炼。《中和集》、《性命圭旨》、《天仙金丹心法》、《天仙正理直论》、《金仙证论》等书都有关于“性命双修”的论述。《性命圭旨》说:“何谓之性?元始真如,一灵炯炯是也。何为之命?先天至精,一气氤氲是也。”又说:“性之造化系乎心,命之造化系乎身。”陈撄宁大师说:“性即是吾人之灵觉,命即是吾人之生机。”可谓既深刻,又生动。人的生命实际上是两个生命即精神生命和生理生命的双重融合,人们通常说要身心健康,亏其一即残缺不全。所以性命二字高度概括了人生的两大要素。

Xing is the mind, thoughts, one's nature, personality, and spirit. Ming is the body, life, energy, destiny, and substance. The dual cultivation of Xing and Ming which means the cultivation for "the spirit and the form". The spirit is the mind and form is the body. In these classics 中和集》、《性命圭旨》、《天仙金丹心法》、《天仙正理直论》、《金仙证论》 have mentioned the dual cultivation of the Xing and Ming. In the classic of 《性命圭旨》says: "What is xing? The initial primary is really like one bright spirit. What is Ming? It is the prenatal essence like one dense steamy mist. It was also said: "Xing is the formation of the heart. Ming is the formation of the body. The great master 陈撄宁" said: "Xing is my grokking sensory., Ming is my vital organism." Then it was said to be profound and lively. A living being had two lives; they are the integration of the spiritual life and the physical life. People always say that we must have a healthy heart(mind) and body. If there is a lack of one or other, then there will be a handicap. Hence, Xing and Ming are two big factors of life.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

道教吸收了儒佛两家的心性学说,又发扬了自家传统的养生学说,遂形成性命双修的修炼理论。由此,我们可以将性命双修分为性功与命功两种,性功是道教与儒、佛相通的地方,而命功则是道教独有的传统,不讲命功,不是道教。

陈撄宁大师认为,仙道贵生、乐生、重生、追求长生,所以它是生本主义,这正是道家仙学最具特色的地方。他认为性命相依,命为重。他用灯作比喻,灯油是命,灯光是性;有灯无油,灯必不能发光;徒有灯油而不能发光,则不能显现油灯照明之用;修道之意在教人积足油量,并教以点灯之法,则人生必充满光辉。

The Taoist religion had absorbed some methods for the cultivation of the mind from both Buddhism and Confucian. With the addition of Taoist's own immortal method, progressively, they have formulated a concept of the dual cultivation of Xing and Ming. From that, we can separate the dual cultivation into two as Xing Kung(性功) and Ming Kung(命功). Xing Kung is a Taoist method which is interactive with Confucian and Buddhism. However, Ming Kung then it is, only, the independent Taoist tradition. If Ming Kung hasn't been mentioned, then, it is not the Taoist religion.

The great master 陈撄宁 said:"the immortal practice is to value life, happy to be alive, reincarnation, and pursuit for longevity. Therefore, it is the fundamental belief for life. This is the main characteristic of the Taoist immortal theory. Between Xing and Ming, Ming is the most significant. He used lighting a lantern as an analogy; the oil is Ming; and the light is Xing. If a lantern without oil, then, it cannot produce light. Hence, if a lantern cannot produce light, then the lantern cannot manifest its function of shedding lights. Cultivating the principles of Tao is analogous to accumulate and save oil to keep the lantern of being lit, then, life would have been full of brilliancy.

Edited by ChiDragon

Please be careful here ChiDragon. If you start talking about Buddhism and Confucianism I would no longer consider this to be a Taoist Text but rather something that should be posted in Taoist Discussions. You know how I feel about that.

Please be careful here ChiDragon. If you start talking about Buddhism and Confucianism I would no longer consider this to be a Taoist Text but rather something that should be posted in Taoist Discussions. You know how I feel about that.

Sorry, I don't like it any better than you but the Quanzhen Taoist religion had combined the three philosophies about the cultivation of the mind together.

Edited by ChiDragon

Sorry, I don't like it any better than you but the Quanzhen Taoist religion had combined the three philosophies about the cultivation of the mind together.

Then it's not pure Taoism then, is it? Chuang Tzu would likely vomit.

Then it's not pure Taoism then, is it? Chuang Tzu would likely vomit.

This is after his death, perhaps. Besides, he couldn't careless. He was a free wanderer, remember....... :P

Edited by ChiDragon

This is after his death, perhaps. Besides, he couldn't careless. He was a free wanderer, remember....... :P

Yes, the merging was after his death. You know how strongly he spoke against Confucianism. He would have been even more critical of Buddhism, I think.

Yes, he was a free wanderer, but he cared. Else he wouldn't have taken the time to write what he did and have followers who stayed true to his understandings and teachings.

Yes, the merging was after his death. You know how strongly he spoke against Confucianism. He would have been even more critical of Buddhism, I think.

Yes, he was a free wanderer, but he cared. Else he wouldn't have taken the time to write what he did and have followers who stayed true to his understandings and teachings.

Yes, come to think of it. He was only against the ritual part on bowing as one is greeting someone. However, he was for keeping the mind in an intellectual state. I think that is the part what the Taoist had absorbed; but I am not sure that ZZ was against Buddhism.

Edited by ChiDragon

Wasn't it already combined before Quanzhen? Maybe someone with the history should chime in about when this 'combined' aspect began to transform and form...

But as I think you are correctly depicting the combined aspect, I think this translation is most useful here in the sub-forum as it is more essential an understanding of Taoism than some may want to accept.

I would request that you translate everything possible though as it is for the english reader. You left some classics untranslated in english. If you want help to find their accepted English wording, then just ask.

So, while this is more like an encyclopedia explanation and does not address specific schools, and one is unsure if it applies to what school at all, I think the general idea is good to have.

道教提倡是“性”与“命”的统一 (The Taoist religion advocates the integration of Xing and Ming)

既然命是指人的生命,性是指人的精神意识,那么很显然,对人的生存来说,两个方面都是不可缺少的,而人的存在实际上就是命与性的统一。一方面,人必须以生命的存在为基础,一旦没有了生命,人就变成一具死尸,人也就随之死亡;另一方面,人也不能离开精神意识,没有精神意识,人就变成一种纯粹的生命存在,其生活最多像动物一样,当然也谈不上作为人的存在。而且人的生命和精神意识之间还存在着密切的联系,它们互相依存、互相影响、互相作用,是一个矛盾的统一体。在道教看来,作为人,不仅要有形气所表现的生命,而且要有精神意识所表现的性,他是生命与精神意识即命与性的统一体,这就像人不仅要有形、气、神,而且是形、气、神的统一体一样。[1]

The Taoist religion advocates that Xing and Ming to be integrated. If Ming is referred as life, Xing is the spiritual subconsciousness, then, it is very obvious that life is the fundamental necessity for one's existence. It is impossible to be lack of either one. If once there was no life, then the human body will become a corpse as the result of death. In the other hand, one cannot be do away with the spiritual subconsciousness. If one is without a spiritual subconsciousness, then one would be just existed as a living body. One's living style would be just like an animal. Of course, it cannot be said that one has been existed as a human being. Furthermore, there is an interrelationship between the body and the spiritual subconsciousness. They are coexisted, mutually effecting each other, mutually functional, and it is a complemented body but also an integrated one. As far as a Taoist is concern, to be a human, a sign of life doesn't only rely on the image of the body; but one needs the spiritual subconsciousness to indicate the existence of an intellectual mind(Xing). The body and the spiritual subconsciousness are the integration of Xing and Ming. Hence, a human is not only require to have a Form(形), Chi(气), and Shen(神), but the Form, Chi and Shen are to be integrated as a whole.
Edited by ChiDragon

... but I am not sure that ZZ was against Buddhism.

Buddhism did not exist in China during Chuang Tzu's lifetime. There was no possible way he could have spoke of it.

Just his view concerning birth and death would have pitted him against Buddhist thought. And then there would have been all the ritual in Buddhism that he would have been against.

• Like 1

Okay. I am out of here. You guys want to talk about Taoist Religion and that's something I try not to do although I do sometimes speak negatively about it.

Where's Flowing Hands? At least he speaks of Taoism.

Okay. I am out of here. You guys want to talk about Taoist Religion and that's something I try not to do although I do sometimes speak negatively about it.

You don't have to get out of here. Stick around. You don't have to be in the Taoist Religion to become a Taoist. One can become a Taoist by following their principles without worshiping any of the Taoist deities. Hopefully, by the time I am done with this thread, everyone will know what a Taoist or a True person is. Then, everyone will know how to cultivate to be a True Person. Btw Please keep in mind a True Person is different from a Perfect Man! However, I have to advice everybody must abide by the definitions of esoteric Taoist Terms, in order, to become a Taoist.

Edited by ChiDragon

Good try. I will just be in the way and an obstruction if I remain active in a thread that discusses religion of any kind.

I follow the teaching of Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu as best I can. That is called trying to be a Taoist.

Their teachings present a guide for living a long life. Living a long life does not need beliefs that serve no purpose other than trying to make everyone follow the rules others have put down.

One does not need to smash their head against the ground three times, five times a day in order to admire and respect what the Heavens and Earth have given us in order to live a good, long life.

To follow any dogma would be giving up one's naturalness, their Tzujan.

And yes, being a Taoist came before being a Religious Taoist. One does not have to be religious to be a Taoist. Religion is just more clothes that restrict one's mobility.

There is no need to become a Sage, There is no need to become a Perfect Man. But yes, one should be true, to themselves as well as to others. This is Taoism. And yes, if one is not a true Taoist one can never be a true Religious Taoist.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

And BTW: Tying the cat to the tree during meditation will not help one grain of sand in one's process of self-actualization.

• Like 1

Thank you for this thread, CD. It has helped me to understand the concepts of xing & ming (which has then been helpful for understanding a couple of other threads that have been going on recently).

• Like 2

It should help to fill in some of the gaps of other threads which are mostly translated quotes by people without that much context or organization as to an actual practice or method.

But as this thread source is encyclopedic and no schools are being explained, it is unclear if this is northern or southern or what lineage it pertains to; maybe none and it is purely generalization. But until schools or lines are explain or even their practice, it is sufficient for general understanding.

Yes Dawei, I know that there is value in what ChiDragon is doing here. (I had to bite my tongue while typing that.)

And yes, I am sure it will help some in their understanding. That is why it would be better if I remained silent most of the time.

• Like 1

Thanx for this discussion. I am learnin a lot from the discourse between Chidragon and Marblehead.

like Mablehead i'm not into the religious aspect of Taoism.

i have 2 questions.......

1) What is the difference between a true man and a perfect man

2) Is the ...Form-Chi-Spirit the same as the Essence-Chi-Spirit ov the 3 Treasures

:D :ph34r::P

I want to clarify that the definitions of Xing(性) and Miang(命) are vary to different people. The linguistic definitions can be found in the dictionary for Xing(性) and Ming(命) but not the Taoist definitions. Another words, one has to learn it from a Taoist or a reliable source.

A normal ordinary definition for Xing(性) is the personality of a living being; and Ming(命) means the life of a living being. Btw At first that was what I thought they were. How less do I know.

Then, I start searching for a good source on the internet and this is what my understanding now.
To a Taoist, Xing(性) it the mind of a person; and Ming(命) is the body of a person. Therefore, if someone had picked up a book without knowing the difference of the definitions and start interpreting or practicing it. What I'll said is good luck!

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Thanx for this discussion. I am learnin a lot from the discourse between Chidragon and Marblehead.

like Mablehead i'm not into the religious aspect of Taoism.

i have 2 questions.......

1) What is the difference between a true man and a perfect man

2) Is the ...Form-Chi-Spirit the same as the Essence-Chi-Spirit ov the 3 Treasures

:D :ph34r::P

Greeting......

The form(形, xing2) means a visible shape which is a physical body. A person need to have a body, energy and mind(Form-Chi-Spirit ) to function as a whole.

PS.....

I will disclose the difference between a true man and a perfect man at the climax of this thread. :) It is too soon to discuss it without preparation.

Edited by ChiDragon

How about also doing translation from a site actually done by actual Chinese Taoists. There is a whole series on 內丹 on here for example(which I just noticed has been completely translated into English):

http://daoinfo.org/wiki/%E5%BF%83%E6%80%A7%E5%91%BD

There are other terms and information that haven't been translated yet...

Edited by xor

How about also doing translation from a site actually done by actual Chinese Taoists. There is a whole series on 內丹 on here for example(which I just noticed has been completely translated into English):

http://daoinfo.org/wiki/%E5%BF%83%E6%80%A7%E5%91%BD

There are other terms and information that haven't been translated yet...

Sorry, xor, this is very obscure. It is very difficult to translate into English to make sense to any reader. Besides, it is going to confuse the issue here in this thread.

Edited by ChiDragon

PS.....

I will disclose the difference between a true man and a perfect man at the climax of this thread. :) It is too soon to discuss it without preparation.

Now this I will be watching for.

• Like 1