Sign in to follow this  
Uroboros

Yin/Yang Healing Sounds?

A foundation of Taoist theory/ philosophy is Yin/Yang. All of life is made of Yin and Yang.

If so, why are the 6 healing sounds not the 12 healing sounds?

There should be a Yin/Yang pair.

Are the 6 Healing Sounds a complete system, if they do not adhere to a basic, foundational principle?

I hope these questions can open up some interesting discussions!

Peace.

Same healing sound used for the paired yang organ ;).

How is it different, then?

Most dont talk about there being a Yin/Yang pair. Yet, there is for the organs. The Gallbladder is not the same as the Liver, etc.

If each organ is similar ( same system/ opposites pair), why are the sounds singular?

It seems off to me.

I am not saying the singular sounds do not affect both organs. I am saying I think there should be 2 per organ systems. A Yin and a Yang sound.

Peace

Interesting. Maybe there have been sounds developed specifically for the fu organs but I've never come across that angle before. The six sounds are for the pairs though, not just for the zang organs. The yin organs play the master role in the pairings and they're the ones that get referred to in the exercises. Six is enough, the system works.

• Like 1

Which one (or both) of the pair you make resonate with the sound.

I'm not going into much detail at all here since I am still new to this and don't want to say something which is incorrect.

Interesting. Maybe there have been sounds developed specifically for the fu organs but I've never come across that angle before. The six sounds are for the pairs though, not just for the zang organs. The yin organs play the master role in the pairings and they're the ones that get referred to in the exercises. Six is enough, the system works.

The system does work, I agree. Is it complete, though? Does it follow the foundational theory of Yin/Yang?

Is it working thru a One creates the Two method? The One sound creates the Two organs, in a way?

If it is a Taoist method, it should adhere to the foundations of Taoism Cosmogenesis.

If a framework is used, it can be incredibly helpful to compare everything to it. Does it fit? If not, where is the problem?

That is what I am curious about.

Peace.

Which one (or both) of the pair you make resonate with the sound.

I'm not going into much detail at all here since I am still new to this and don't want to say something which is incorrect.

I respect that! Im quite new to this, as well.

Peace

• Like 1

SC - does this merge with what we were talking about before, the singing bowls?

The six sounds are for the six Yin organs... they are ASCENDING meridians...

guess what happens after you ascend a merry-go-round... you got it... you fall.. into DESCENDING Yang organs...

If you want a more Yin sounds, keep it to the front, cool, throat; if you want more Yang, keep it to the back, heat, throat...

• Like 2

The six sounds are for the six Yin organs... they are ASCENDING meridians...

guess what happens after you ascend a merry-go-round... you got it... you fall.. into DESCENDING Yang organs...

If you want a more Yin sounds, keep it to the front, cool, throat; if you want more Yang, keep it to the back, heat, throat...

Interesting...I had not thought of that! The Ascending and Descending organ/ channel connection....

I have heard of different ways of explaining the 6 sounds, which actually seem to be different sounds.

One says Hoo and another says Chui for kidneys. They dont actually say Hoo, they say how to make the sound, which is exactly like Hoo. Lips in an O shape, blow out with a whistling wind sound..

Another one explains Hoo and Fu as the same, which they do not seem to be. Fu talks about the F and Oo sound with the whistle, while another explains Hoo as just H and Oo. Both sources say its the same organ/ channel and the same sound.

Is it?

I wonder if there are slight variations of the sounds, which are actually different sounds themselves! If so, it could expand upon its healing uses.

http://www.egreenway.com/qigong/sixhealingsounds.htm This website has exerpts from a few sources.

Here is what it says about the Earth sound-

Pronounced as the word "who", with the lips rounded and the tongue suspended in mid-mouth, as though blowing out a cande. - Daniel Reid

Keep the lips soft and loose, let the tongue float freely in the mouth not touching the inside of the mouth, allow the lips to buzz. "The FU healing sound has three components- the consonant, the vowel, and the wind sound. The consonant is the sound f, and it allows you to release the excessive buildup of heat exhaust in the spleen. The vowel sound of FU is the sound u, and it serves to strengthen the organ. The subvocal wind sound nourishes the organ and is the soud your vibrating lips make when you blow ar through them, such as when you are trying to amke a baby laugh or imitating the sould of a propeller plane in flight." Sat Chuen Hon.

What if those are two different sounds? Hoo and Fu? That would be interesting!

Dawei- What do you mean by keep it to the front/ back? Do you mean the sound is coming from the lips more then the back of the throat and vice versa?

Thank you!

Peace

You might not want to be doing the kidney sound... the healing sounds (from all I have learned) are purging... and it's not good to run the kidneys low. Best to ask a teacher on that one.

Also they do sort of cover both, since each yin/yang pair is related to each other and works with each other... but I think if another method worked better they would have switched over millions of patients ago, or a thousand years back ;).

And, generally the sounds are used for any organ which has excess, so generally not all 6 from what I understand.

Though the sounds listed on that site are different than the ones I was taught...

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in :).

• Like 1

The six sounds are for the six Yin organs... they are ASCENDING meridians....

Yes, the meridians, but not the organs. You don't want your lung/large intestine Qi to ascend ;-)

• Like 1

The yin meridians only ascend in the leg...in the arm the qi flows from proximal to distal, or descends in the anatomical position. If the arms were above the head that'd be a different story. And the flow of channel qi goes from distal to proximal in all meridians, including yang, but it doesn't necessarily ascend.

• Like 1

If the arms were above the head that'd be a different story. .

That's how we demonstrate the 'inconsistency' in the system when someone asks :-)

Re the organ sounds, I think it's best not to combine them with meridians at all but rather do them in accordance with the wuxing. Don't think so much about direction but concentrate more on transformation.

For meridians: grand circulation.

SC - does this merge with what we were talking about before, the singing bowls?

huh, I would say no. The bowls I would more closely compare with mantra singing and other deeply resonant sounds. They resonate deeply in the body's cells and cause waves of internal vibrations, movement. And the vibrations spread out over much larger regions. The Chinese healing sounds are a lot more specific to the organs and they emulate sounds associated with them i.e. the steaming tea pot to release pressure from the liver/gall bladder (thereby releasing anger i.e. 'blowing off steam') or the melancholic sigh for the lungs. These sounds have a way of attracting the specific organ's attention, and I'd say their effectiveness is actually quite subjective and experiential/cultural.

Also, there's the aspect of passive/active. A singing bowl 'massage' is done for you, and the more passive you are, the more effective the experience. Nobody can do the organ healing sounds for you.

Sidenote:

In groups and for myself (for example, while driving, lol), I do a kind of humming exercise where we go through the (German) vowel sounds, rearranged to fit the area of the body they're meant to reach: U, O, A, E, I and the the classic M from Ohm, or a nasal NG sound.

But German is a phonetic language and the letters are pronounced differently, so it' actually going:

U = "Oooooooo" (fool) Unten, below, Huiyin

O = "Oooohhhh" (grow) Bauch, belly

A = "Aaaahhhh" (pot) Herz, Heart

E = "Aaaaayyyy" (sway) Kehle, throat

I = "Eeeeeeee" (feel) Stirn, forehead

... Mmmmmnnngg .... Baihui :-)

Starts at the bottom and works its way up ... It's normally done in sitting, and in yoga classes. But because I'm a Qigong dude, we stand up and have a nice arm movement to go with it. I then do it in the reverse direction, to return to the roots and remain well grounded.

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 2

In what way are the yin organs ascending, and the yang descending?

I mentioned 'meridians'... the energy for the Yin organs is ascending...

Here is one of the more useful diagrams to show the ascending vs descending aspect, as it is not easily shown in diagrams in a continuous manner. The energy flow is 'meridian to meridian' and that is why the Meridian Clock shows alternating 2 Yins and 2 Yangs; to traverse the entire body takes 2 meridians up and then down...

There is a medical qigong balancing technique to stimulate this entire circuit by following the entire clock ascending to descending.

http://medicalacupuncture.wordpress.com/2011/01/06/meridians-diagnosis-in-acupuncture/

One says Hoo and another says Chui for kidneys. They dont actually say Hoo, they say how to make the sound, which is exactly like Hoo. Lips in an O shape, blow out with a whistling wind sound..

Another one explains Hoo and Fu as the same, which they do not seem to be. Fu talks about the F and Oo sound with the whistle, while another explains Hoo as just H and Oo. Both sources say its the same organ/ channel and the same sound.

Is it?

I use the sound as 'Chree' for kidneys. I know 'Fu' exists too but can't remember why. What you have to realize is sounds are to purge stagnation so the sound, pitch, volume, etc are meant to get at different levels of the stagnation. If it is very severe, then 'Yu' is used for the kidneys. That might explain where 'Fu' comes in-between the two.

The basic sounds are for basic maintenance and to be used by anyone. But remember that this is purging and as BKA says, don't do the kidney's too much as they are usually depleted in the first place... you need to balance purging with tonifying... think colors.

Here is what it says about the Earth sound-

Pronounced as the word "who", with the lips rounded and the tongue suspended in mid-mouth, as though blowing out a cande. - Daniel Reid

Earth is for the Spleen... this is the sound for the Spleen.

What do you mean by keep it to the front/ back? Do you mean the sound is coming from the lips more then the back of the throat and vice versa?

Put your awareness to the front (Yin) or back (Yang). Intention is everything.

• Like 1

Yes, the meridians, but not the organs. You don't want your lung/large intestine Qi to ascend ;-)

Not sure I follow. The LU/LI is the pair; Yin Lung Qi ascends from the chest to the Thumb; At the 'Luo connection point', the Yang Large Intestines descends back towards the chest. You want the ascending to descending cycle to occur...

So not sure I follow your point?

RE: Luo-Connecting points of one meridian can communicate with two meridians.

Luo.gif

If the arms were above the head that'd be a different story.

IMO, that is only a mental challenge... how the arms happen to hang is not relevant to how the energy actually is traced out. One needs to rely more on the meridian clock and the entire cycle of flow to simply apply ascending and descending; it just means they follow in a direction.

IMO, that is only a mental challenge... how the arms happen to hang is not relevant to how the energy actually is traced out. One needs to rely more on the meridian clock and the entire cycle of flow to simply apply ascending and descending; it just means they follow in a direction.

That meridian clock actually shows what I explained.

That meridian clock actually shows what I explained.

As it may explain both our points... maybe we actually agree without knowing it or accepting it... It's just about direction and ascending and descending is the phrase used.

Not sure I follow. The LU/LI is the pair; Yin Lung Qi ascends from the chest to the Thumb; At the 'Luo connection point', the Yang Large Intestines descends back towards the chest. You want the ascending to descending cycle to occur...

So not sure I follow your point?,

The sounds are for the organs, not the meridians. It the Wuxing, the five phases: Lung Qi sinks and 'feeds' the kidneys which sends Qi up to nourish the liver which provides fuel for the heart and it all burns up and lands in the spleen over on the left side... What you're describing is the 'organ clock' and the grand circulation, which is a much more powerful meditation.

here's a (highly truncated) wuxing meditation that can accompany the healing sounds:

Breathe.

Think 'Lungs', white, clean, crystal clear air, a few breaths, and when the time feels right ...

On an exhale - send the focus down to the Kidneys, think black, blue, arctic, water, ocean ... a few breaths, and when the time feels right ...

On an inhale - send the focus up to the Liver, think vibrant fresh green, new green life, roots that grow upward from the water ... a few breaths, and when the time feels right ...

On an inhale - send the focus up to the Heart, a stem growing from the liver, think red, orange, healing fire, a beautiful bloom atop the stem ... a few breaths, and when the time feels right ...

On an exhale - send the focus downward to the spleen, think gold, liquid gold, pour the liquid gold into the spleen on the left side, like a goldsmith or alchemist, you melt all the previous colors into gold, and pour it into the spleen... think gold ... a few breaths ... and when the time feels right ...

On an exhale - pour the gold from the spleen into the lower belly, deep inside the lower dantian, like a goldsmith pouring liquid gold into a mold, you create a golden pearl deep inside your belly, keep the focus on the pearl, polish the pearl, perfect the pearl ... until the time feels right ... and then ...

Breathe ...

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 2

The sounds are for the organs, not the meridians.

To get more precise, the sounds are for energy stagnation in the organ area... The issue may not be the organ itself but the energy container which the organ resides in...

For example: What if a person has their spleen removed yet there is energy stagnation? What is the sound for then? ;)

• Like 2

To get more precise, the sounds are for energy stagnation in the organ area... The issue may not be the organ itself but the energy container which the organ resides in...

For example: What if a person has their spleen removed yet there is energy stagnation? What is the sound for then? ;)

yes, very true, but I was only trying to make the distinction between meridian and organ. I edited my above post in the meantime, btw. Look up :)

Sign in to follow this