Sign in to follow this  
Uroboros

Yin/Yang Healing Sounds?

and the easy peasy grand circulation:

breathe

think chest (don't over intellectualize it, just think 'chest'), and when you feel ready ...

On an exhale, send the focus along the inside of both arms, across the palms, to the fingertips

On the next inhale, send the focus up the backside of the arms, up the neck to the head (again, just the head in general, be careful with the head)

On the next exhale, send the focus down the back, across the butt, down the backside of the legs, under the feet to the toes

On the next inhale, send the focus up from the toes along the tops of the feet, the front of the legs, the front of the body, to the chest ...

start over ...

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 1

and the easy peasy grand circulation:

breathe

think chest (don't over intellectualize it, just think 'chest'), and when you feel ready ...

On an exhale, send the focus along the inside of both arms, across the palms, to the fingertips

Thanks for posting both methods... this is easy enough for anyone to practice it !

I find your grand circulation starting in a different point than what I am accustomed to doing... I find your method interesting as one starts their focus on their heart [energy] and then go to the hands. I want to try this out.

Here is my method:

Ascending Yin Meridian Breath:

On inhale, focus the breath up the inside (yin ascending) of both legs and at the front of the hip cross over to the opposite outer hip.

On exhale, focus the breath up the sides and up the insides of the arms to the finger tips.

Descending Yang Meridian Breath:

On inhale, focus the breath down the outside of both arms and at the shoulders cross over to the opposite outside of armpit.

On exhale, focus the breath down the outside of both legs and extend its reach several feet away from the body.

On Yin inhale and Yang exhale, I usually focus on KD1 point as the entry and exit. In this way, one can visual a main root extending down into the ground, branching into many roots, similar to a tree.

You will see that one fundamental difference is my 'cross over' path. This is to balance left and right; right and left. There is an exercise meant to help open the cross over, particularly to connect the opposing hand palm (PC8) with the foot sole (KD1)... And it has its application in Taiji.

Edited by dawei
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting both methods... this is easy enough for anyone to practice it !

I find your grand circulation starting in a different point than what I am accustomed to doing... I find your method interesting as one starts their focus on their heart [energy] and then go to the hands. I want to try this out.

Yes,very simple, like I said - easy peasy :)

It's just an approximation of the organ clock, and it's an accompanying meditation to a much longer, intensive medical qigong form that follows the exact path of all twelve meridians.

It doesn't start with the heart, btw, it simply starts in the 'chest' but the general focus in the beginning could be the lungs, where the clock technically begins. But like I said, its only an approximation, and the breath from chest along the inside of the arms to the fingers represents all three arm yin channels. It's more effective the less one concentrates on the exact meridian flow, though. It goes deceptively deep. Once you get it going, it starts to move on its own, and you can obviously build on it e.g. begin shifting the focus outward from the body and into the weiqi and finer layers ... And move the body with the flow. It's a good way to set spontaneity into motion.

Thank you for the more advanced version! What you describe is closer to the real grand circulation (and there are a lot of approaches to that, too, especially in the martial arts).

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 1

It doesn't start with the heart, btw, it simply starts in the 'chest' but the general focus in the beginning could be the lungs, where the clock technically begins.

That makes sense to start with the lungs; the Luo Shu defined this.

Have you done the 'sounds' in clock order as opposed to 5 element order?

• Like 1

That makes sense to start with the lungs; the Luo Shu defined this.

Have you done the 'sounds' in clock order as opposed to 5 element order?

Lung, Spleen, Heart, Kidneys, Liver ... actually, no, I've never combined the two like that, or better said witnessed it being done like that. I've learned the sounds pretty in-depth in the past, and have practiced them in groups, but I honestly don't spend that much time with them. I've only ever heard of them as associated directly with the organs, and I have to admit it seems a little 'off' to me to emit the sounds while focusing on the meridians. I'm picturing doing the meridian qigong routine combined with the sounds and it doesn't feel harmonious. I want to focus directly on the organ at the time. But then again, why not? ;)

Edited by soaring crane

Lung, Spleen, Heart, Kidneys, Liver ... actually, no, I've never combined the two like that, or better said witnessed it being done like that. I've learned the sounds pretty in-depth in the past, and have practiced them in groups, but I honestly don't spend that much time with them. I've only ever heard of them as associated directly with the organs, and I have to admit it seems a little 'off' to me to emit the sounds while focusing on the meridians. I'm picturing doing the meridian qigong routine combined with the sounds and it doesn't feel harmonious. I want to focus directly on the organ at the time. But then again, why not? ;)

I want to make sure I didn't mis-convey something... did you take from me the idea to focus on meridians (or do meridian qigong routine) combined with sounds?

If yes, then I was not clear about something previously posted.

I hold the same point as you stated: "I want to focus directly on the organ at the time." (Or it's energy container area)

• Like 1

here's a (highly truncated) wuxing meditation that can accompany the healing sounds:

I thought it would be good to talk 'order' for the sounds. There appears at least three potential orders:

1. Five elements, Lungs first: Lungs, Kidney, Liver, Heart, Spleen

2. Five elements, Liver first: Liver, Heart, Spleen, Lungs, Kidney

3. Meridian clock: Lungs, Spleen, Heart, Kidneys, Liver

In fact, if I were doing sounds in order, I was taught #2. And I don't think I would do #3 with sounds but I favor it only as a circulation method.

I decided to look online to see if people can justify why to use #1 or #2. In both cases, they are really using the same 5 Element Production/Generation order but starting with a different organ. To my surprise, nobody really explains with a solid reason.

Most give no reason nor attempt any. A very few attempted to say why Liver *might* be first due to 'spring', 'rebirth', 'new beginnings'.

Mantak Chia who wrote a book on the sounds starts with Liver but gives no reason why.

Some people reference the ancient texts which show Liver first but I still do not find an explanation... so I will have to give you what I learned and this may reveal some differences between Qigong and Medical Qigong as the basis is more medical.

The liver is: http://www.heavenearthchineseherbs.com/store/pc/Liver-Yang-Rising-c6100.htm

"The natural direction of the Liver is a rising force. When the Livers energy becomes excessive, especially in reference to the element of heat, the Yang energy naturally rise upwards towards the head. It is important to re-direct the excess heat energy downward by cooling the Liver Organ System, replenishing the lost Yin and draining the heat."

If one does not start with the liver, then when you get to the liver, its energy has a tendency to 'spray' about and containment what was just purged. So it was found that starting with the liver ensured that turbid energy spray is cleaned up in later purging of other organs.

This may naturally lead to a question about the 'spray' of other organs... well, we have to start somewhere and the liver poses the most potential damage as its spray essentially is upward to the heart.

• Like 2

In fact it is probably best for the practitioner to simply do the sounds and let the energy self modulate, rather than intrude with self direction which inevitably will have considerably less awareness than the body has in and of itself.

The mind seeks to complicate and gain dominion!

I considered posting that as a fourth option but it's beyond most, IMO. Those that can do it, just do it. From a teaching point of view, 'order' is good to have. From an energetic awareness point of view, 'listening to self' is enough.

• Like 2

I considered posting that as a fourth option but it's beyond most, IMO. Those that can do it, just do it. From a teaching point of view, 'order' is good to have. From an energetic awareness point of view, 'listening to self' is enough.

I didn't read Cat's post to mean just make the sounds in any old order, don't think about anything in particular and let nature take its course. I'm pretty sure the order is still important (if not, I'd totally disagree), just don't do anything subjective at the time. Emit the sounds, and that's it. Have faith that they'll do their job (which I do agree with). But do them in a structured order (or perhaps specifically as prescribed by a doctor for an ailment).

The direction I described (with or without the sounds) starts out as the cosmic wuxing, ending in Earth. And in practice, without forcing it or thinking about it, it just becomes an inhale up the right side, up to the top of the breastbone, then an exhale down the left side, into the DT. It's an organ massage, especially if the body begins to move accordingly. It's something I do constantly.

The problem you mention with the liver, I don't know. It seems to me that coming up from below the liver, then right through it to the heart, does a pretty god job of directing it where it's supposed to go, and keeping it focused.

I did, as you said, mistake your previous instruction to mean follow the meridian flow ...

• Like 1

I didn't read Cat's post to mean just make the sounds in any old order, don't think about anything in particular and let nature take its course. I'm pretty sure the order is still important (if not, I'd totally disagree), just don't do anything subjective at the time. Emit the sounds, and that's it. Have faith that they'll do their job (which I do agree with). But do them in a structured order (or perhaps specifically as prescribed by a doctor for an ailment).

I am now not sure how I interpreted Cat's comments as I read my own again and I have a 'listening to self' assumption. I personally would not just make any sound in any order but I don't discount the fact that the body/innate will deal and work with it. IMO, the advanced version is that one simply listen to what they need, and the need includes an order, and it may not even do all five.

One great rule I learned regarding working on others is: What if their body doesn't need what I want to do (ie: some prescribed order of treatment)... and so I think it must be the same for our own body as well.

But I think one can do all five but if one is truly listening they may find one wants more and one wants less and when enough is enough.

• Like 3

At least a final word should be given to the fact that the practice is called the SIX healing sounds... not the five organ sounds :)

The ultimate goal is to purge excess or stagnate Qi out of the organ/energy container. But we don't want to just act like we're beating a dusty cover where the dust simply re-settles in the same place again.

The SIXth Sound is for the triple burner and is "HEEEEEEEE."

You can visualize the Taiji Pole as a tunnel with a great wind being pushed from the top to bottom and picking up everything in its wake and pushing it down to the feet and extending away from the body. I would do this a few times to completely purge... this can be done at bedtime to settle the heart and calm the body as it roots the energy centers.

Here is how Chia describes it:

Lie flat on your back, if possible. With your mouth open, exhale slowly as your produce the sound "HEEEEEEEE." Imagine a huge rolling pin flattening out your body from the forehead down to the toes. This will balance all the energies activated by the other sounds and help relax the body fully.

I like to use the Taiji Pole image as it is fundamental to energy work; it connects the energy centers as well as the Chakras. If you practice breathing through the crown (Baihui) to the LDT, the path to take is usually the Taiji Pole.

An important consideration which applies to healing is that we are 'giving the Qi a path out'. That means, if you are a patient and someone is doing healing sounds on your, or purging you, you should periodically wiggle your toes and hands... it gives your intention a reminder of where the 'path out' is. And some will feel their legs tingle.

• Like 2

At least a final word should be given to the fact that the practice is called the SIX healing sounds... not the five organ sounds :) .

THAT is a great point and an excellent post! I have to confess that I concentrate on the wuxing, it's a major part of my own practice and also my group sessions, and really forgot all about that.

And it just clicked with me that the sound for the triple burner is in fact the same as the tianmu/heaven's eye/forehead sound from the vowel method I described earlier. Interesting...

At least a final word should be given to the fact that the practice is called the SIX healing sounds... not the five organ sounds :)

The ultimate goal is to purge excess or stagnate Qi out of the organ/energy container. But we don't want to just act like we're beating a dusty cover where the dust simply re-settles in the same place again.

The SIXth Sound is for the triple burner and is "HEEEEEEEE."

You can visualize the Taiji Pole as a tunnel with a great wind being pushed from the top to bottom and picking up everything in its wake and pushing it down to the feet and extending away from the body. I would do this a few times to completely purge... this can be done at bedtime to settle the heart and calm the body as it roots the energy centers.

Here is how Chia describes it:

Lie flat on your back, if possible. With your mouth open, exhale slowly as your produce the sound "HEEEEEEEE." Imagine a huge rolling pin flattening out your body from the forehead down to the toes. This will balance all the energies activated by the other sounds and help relax the body fully.

I like to use the Taiji Pole image as it is fundamental to energy work; it connects the energy centers as well as the Chakras. If you practice breathing through the crown (Baihui) to the LDT, the path to take is usually the Taiji Pole.

An important consideration which applies to healing is that we are 'giving the Qi a path out'. That means, if you are a patient and someone is doing healing sounds on your, or purging you, you should periodically wiggle your toes and hands... it gives your intention a reminder of where the 'path out' is. And some will feel their legs tingle.

That is an excellent point! The little Fire systems, Triple Burner and Pericardium, must not be overlooked!

In a book called Daoist Body Cultivation, on the section of the 6 Breaths, it talks about various treatise/ books that talk about the 6 Breaths.

In one section, it talks about Sun Simiao in the Qianjin Yifang (supplementary prescription worth a thousand gold pieces) and Xi is prescribed for Spleen, aches, yellow in dreams and infants playing with danger.

The same book also talks about the Yangxing Yangming Lu (on nourishing inner nature and extending life). It says in that book, that Xi will drive out all afflictions.

This paragraph of this section is what got me thinking about the sounds in a different way-

If you want to practice the exhalation method of the long breath, use Chui when you are cold, Hu when you are warm. The breaths are most excellent for curing diseases. Chui will drive out wind; Hu will drive out heat; Xi will drive out affliction; He will make the qi descend; Xu will disperse blockages; and Si will moderate extremes. Since ordinary people are frequently given to extremes, they will use a lot of Xu and Si. Xu and Si are the core of the long breath. ( 2.2b-3a; Ding 1993, 16)

I have noticed a trend. The sounds have been assigned different properties/ abilities by different people. Some say Chui will expel excess cold, some say it will drive out wind, some say it will drive out heat. Another says Chui will keep the kidneys at ease during winter.

I have experimented with using the sounds in the fashion the above paragraph says to and it does work. I was feeling very cold and I used Chui. After about 3 breathes, I felt much warmer.

I find this way of looking at and using them to be very interesting.

Maybe these sounds do more then just purge the organs. That has been my experience, at least.

Also, the chinese system of thought is not just the western anatomical organ. They are also a system/ function of the whole. Remembering that has helped me to see the function of these sounds in a different way.

Hope someone finds this interesting!

Peace

• Like 3

I think you are right.

It'd be interesting to consider wether anything in this field has the role of doing 'just' one thing.

So far I have yet to find anything that does "one" thing. Maybe it has one function. Such as gathering. Yet, it can gather a whole range of "things"!

It is so amazing!

In my limited experience and experimentation with the sounds, they are extremely medicinal. You can use them to heal from specific states that are arising. Bring them to balance.

Tis quite fun!

Peace

And here it is for download:

http://liquidbigublog.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/daoist_body.pdf

This topic has really revived my interest in the sounds. Nice job.

AH! Fantastic find, Dawei!!

Thank you for posting it! It is a very interesting book. I keep going back to the 6 Breaths section and experimenting with the different systems it talks about.

So far, they do seem to work.

An example, my gf was dealing with a state of excess cold affecting the kidneys. So, we tried a few breaths of the Sun Simiao formula. It prescribes Si for kidneys and excess cold in the body! Perfect!

Did 3 breaths, felt better. Did 10, improvement. we stopped at 30 forceful breathes and 10 soft. It said 50, then 10 soft.

Afterwards, she did feel much better. Her kidneys did not hurt at all!

Using them in this way could be potentially life altering. We would have access to the most basic function, breath, and be able to heal our selves with it in a clinical fashion.

Thats what I am experimenting with right now.

I am so glad your interest in the sounds has been revived, Dawei!

There is much gold to be found in them.

Peace

• Like 1

In the Primordial Breathing, Vol. 1, it is more like a prescription where one can use any one of the six sounds as needed:

T'ai Hsi Mi Yao Ko Chueh

The Secret Songs about the Embryonic Breath Secret (P. 49-50)

The Six Kinds of Breathing:

When practicing the six kinds of breathing, if you feel that there is a difference, then you should stop. Do not do it in excess. Your mind and breath would be damaged by overdoing it. The six kinds of breathing are as follows:

(1) The Hsi. The Hsi method is the most magic and it should be kept (secret). It belongs to the nose externally and internally to the lungs. If you feel cold, hot, tired, stuffy or have skin diseases you will surely get rid of such unpleasantness by using this kind of breathing.

(2) The Ho. Ho belongs to the Ruler of the heart. It rules the tongue. Whenever you feel the inside of your mouth is dry and rough, or you feel anxious or your body is hot, you should look at the degree of ailment and use the Ho breathing to curse it. The lack of harmony of the cooking vessels and the viscera will naturally disappear.

(3) The Hu. Hu belongs to the Spleen. its spirit rules the earth. If you are anxious, or stuffy or you abdomin is puffed up and your limbs are swollen, or if you have a stuffiness that is hard to open up, use the Hu breathing to handle this. You will then be as good as before.

(4) The Hsu: Hsu belongs to the liver. Its spirit rules the eyes. If you have red eyes and tears come down as if you are crying. It is all because the heat in your liver is rushing upward. Use the Hsu breathing to handle this. You will quickly or soon see the difference.

(5) The Ch'ui. Ch'ui belongs to the kidneys. It rules the ears. If your loins, your waist, or knees are often cold, or if the flow of Yang (sperm) is stopped, you should subtly use the Ch'ui to handle this. Do not go outside and seek medicine.

(6) The Hsi. Hsi belongs to the three cooking vessels. Whenever there is an ailment relating to the three cooking vessels, the three cooking vessels are injured by unharmonious breath. Just use the Hsi to handle this.

Source: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0944558003/ref=pd_rvi_gw_2/104-6162634-2030307?ie=UTF8

Edited by dawei
  • Like 1

In the Primordial Breathing, Vol. 1, it is more like a prescription where one can use any one of the six sounds as needed:

T'ai Hsi Mi Yao Ko Chueh

The Secret Songs about the Embryonic Breath Secret (P. 49-50)

The Six Kinds of Breathing:

When practicing the six kinds of breathing, if you feel that there is a difference, then you should stop. Do not do it in excess. Your mind and breath would be damaged by overdoing it. The six kinds of breathing are as follows:

(1) The Hsi. The Hsi method is the most magic and it should be kept (secret). It belongs to the nose externally and internally to the lungs. If you feel cold, hot, tired, stuffy or have skin diseases you will surely get rid of such unpleasantness by using this kind of breathing.

(2) The Ho. Ho belongs to the Ruler of the heart. It rules the tongue. Whenever you feel the inside of your mouth is dry and rough, or you feel anxious or your body is hot, you should look at the degree of ailment and use the Ho breathing to curse it. The lack of harmony of the cooking vessels and the viscera will naturally disappear.

(3) The Hu. Hu belongs to the Spleen. its spirit rules the earth. If you are anxious, or stuffy or you abdomin is puffed up and your limbs are swollen, or if you have a stuffiness that is hard to open up, use the Hu breathing to handle this. You will then be as good as before.

(4) The Hsu: Hsu belongs to the liver. Its spirit rules the eyes. If you have red eyes and tears come down as if you are crying. It is all because the heat in your liver is rushing upward. Use the Hsu breathing to handle this. You will quickly or soon see the difference.

(5) The Ch'ui. Ch'ui belongs to the kidneys. It rules the ears. If your loins, your waist, or knees are often cold, or if the flow of Yang (sperm) is stopped, you should subtly use the Ch'ui to handle this. Do not go outside and seek medicine.

(6) The Hsi. Hsi belongs to the three cooking vessels. Whenever there is an ailment relating to the three cooking vessels, the three cooking vessels are injured by unharmonious breath. Just use the Hsi to handle this.

Source: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0944558003/ref=pd_rvi_gw_2/104-6162634-2030307?ie=UTF8

Excellent! Thank you for posting this excerpt, Dawei!

These breaths are so powerful! Its a fantastic healing system to have on hand. Its so much more then just purging.

I have experimented with pressing channel points and using the corresponding healing sound. The channel "clears" much faster. If there is pain along the channel or at the point, the sound helps clear it faster.

Tis a powerful combination, breath, sound and channel manipulation.

Have you ever tried this, Dawei? If so, what did you experience?

• Like 1

Excellent! Thank you for posting this excerpt, Dawei!

These breaths are so powerful! Its a fantastic healing system to have on hand. Its so much more then just purging.

I have experimented with pressing channel points and using the corresponding healing sound. The channel "clears" much faster. If there is pain along the channel or at the point, the sound helps clear it faster.

Tis a powerful combination, breath, sound and channel manipulation.

Have you ever tried this, Dawei? If so, what did you experience?

I have not tried that. I can understand if you press at the point of pain but when do you press somewhere other than the pain and which point do you choose to press along the channel? There are points along each channel for very specific uses so wondering what experience you have?

I have not tried that. I can understand if you press at the point of pain but when do you press somewhere other than the pain and which point do you choose to press along the channel? There are points along each channel for very specific uses so wondering what experience you have?

For example- Last night I felt my heart was a bit iffy, so I pressed and massaged Pericardium 6. It felt a little sore, so I did 3 rounds of HA while pressing it. Afterwards, my heart felt better and the point did not hurt.

Another time, I was feeling a bit coughy/ sneezy. It was also hard to breathe. Lung 7 often times helps my breathe/ diaphragm to move lower and deepen the breath. So, I rubbed and pressed Lung 7 and did some Si's. My breath felt much smoother and deeper afterwards.

My girlfriend had pain in her Small Intestine channel area, so I massaged the point of origin, SM 11, while she did 3 HA's.

Afterwards, she felt better. She then did three Kee's/ Xi, Triple Warmer sound. Her arm felt much better and SM 11 did not hurt anymore.

This is what I have been experimenting with. Its quite powerful, so far.

I have been choosing points based on what they do and if they hurt. It seems to work quite well.

Try it out!

Peace

Sign in to follow this