Sign in to follow this  
BaguaKicksAss

Distractions...

Oh there are so many!

There are the obvious ones *cough* TTBs *cough*, TV, and etc.

Then the less obvious ones....

I find that one of the biggest (and most distracting from the path) less obvious ones is the quest for information. Do we really need that much? Find a teacher you mesh with, follow what they say, read a couple of books about said topic and practice the hell out of it.

But do we do that? Not generally. We always want more. Sometimes this goes so far as to keep us stalling on starting our practice, or perhaps taking things to the next level. Not like we can actually practice for 8 hours per day (at least I can't) so there is plenty of time for said reading... however I think that we do overdo it in this department.

Another strong one is our job, career, money, moving up the ladder. All good things of course, but if they take up our thinking hours in the days, this means that is also where most of our energy is going. What we think about we bring about.

Socializing. This is definitely important (if it's what you like), but overdone so that you have no time alone with your own thoughts, is not in balance. With cel phones, texting, social media, as well as so many interesting activities to go socialize with others in, this can get very distracting.

Apparently even exercise, if done to excess can be used as a distraction.

I think balance is the best way to go though. No sense being a hermit who never reads, never goes on the net and never watches moves :).

So did I miss any?

• Like 5

I find that one of the biggest (and most distracting from the path) less obvious ones is the quest for information. Do we really need that much? Find a teacher you mesh with, follow what they say, read a couple of books about said topic and practice the hell out of it.

But do we do that? Not generally. We always want more. Sometimes this goes so far as to keep us stalling on starting our practice, or perhaps taking things to the next level. Not like we can actually practice for 8 hours per day (at least I can't) so there is plenty of time for said reading... however I think that we do overdo it in this department.

An old zen teacher once said there is a point at which "one throws away books as if they were on fire".

• Like 4

Hi BKA,

In my practice and the realization of the fruits therein, these things are only distractive when and where grasping or aversion seeps in unnoticed. If there is presence maintained while these activities are engaged, then one should not be harsh on oneself because such activities, at the basis, are neutral, in the sense that they cannot help or harm -- its what we do with our minds around them that determines whether or not we form good or bad tendencies/habits as a result.

By being present, it means having some level of discipline whereby we are fully aware of extracting benefits from what we do, no matter if we are watching telly, social media-ing, etc. These activities only become troublesome when they begin to eat into our psyche, and a dependency(s) takes root. As long as this is managed effectively through being fully aware of priorities, then by all means, have fun!

One of the biggest mistaken views about spiritual cultivation is the one where the practitioner thinks there is a fundamental problem with being active outside of formal practice. Learning to pace oneself, i'd think, goes a long way in getting to have fun at times and also practice at other times. After all, assuming the average sleep time is 6 hours, that still leaves us with 18 hours to be and to do. That is a lot of hours to exercise mindfulness around our thoughts, words and deeds.

my 2 rupees.

Edited by C T
  • Like 4

An old zen teacher once said there is a point at which "one throws away books as if they were on fire".

I encourage every single student to do this! One day one will go for it! Only encourage though, I'm only the tour guide... Though my teacher has used it as a requirement a few times, then when the people look back after the 2 years of no books, they really wonder what drew them!

Hi BKA,

In my practice and the realization of the fruits therein, these things are only distractive when and where grasping or aversion seeps in unnoticed. If there is presence maintained while these activities are engaged, then one should not be harsh on oneself because such activities, at the basis, are neutral, in the sense that they cannot help or harm -- its what we do with our minds around them that determines whether or not we form good or bad tendencies/habits as a result.

By being present, it means having some level of discipline whereby we are fully aware of extracting benefits from what we do, no matter if we are watching telly, social media-ing, etc. These activities only become troublesome when they begin to eat into our psyche, and a dependency(s) takes root. As long as this is managed effectively through being fully aware of priorities, then by all means, have fun!

One of the biggest mistaken views about spiritual cultivation is the one where the practitioner thinks there is a fundamental problem with being active outside of formal practice. Learning to pace oneself, i'd think, goes a long way in getting to have fun at times and also practice at other times. After all, assuming the average sleep time is 6 hours, that still leaves us with 18 hours to be and to do. That is a lot of hours to exercise mindfulness around our thoughts, words and deeds.

my 2 rupees.

I like this perspective :). Very useful practice.

Interesting mention about our thoughts around each activity.

Also, I personally like an hour or 2 per day where I just don't think about spiritual etc. stuff at all!

As CT mentioned it is about being present through distraction ..and in this way what has been seen as distraction is viewed just as another part of life that has to be lived . No other way . On may think -- but only if I did this and this and had more time for this than all would be amazing or at least much better .

No , becouse than it would not be my life , becouse my life is like this as it is and just could not be other way .

Being aware and present of what is actually going on now ( whatever that may be sitting on the loo , playing capoeira or having sex ..) is where it is at . One has to grab that opportunity as it comes . Tango it away . Time passes , sun rises , now it is night again . Soon sun will rise again .

Regrets and wishfull thinking is psychological Obesity . They take up a lot of space , and want more by cunningly deciting into guilt if attention to them has not been payed . It does not matter . We as humans are NOT bound to oblige , but our birthright is to be able to live free of such imaginary chains and connect with our soul instead (no I do not have definition of soul in case anyone asks ) .

Sometimes the way to nurture ourself lovingly is by applying some self discipline -- depends on situation . So it same like doing martial arts , in life is good to know with situations when to attack/assert /make action , when to move way and in which way .

By doing this -- unecessary stuff falls away by itself and situations become fertile , full of possibilities . 24/7 . It is miracolous really , but not necessary estatic at all times .

Edited by suninmyeyes
  • Like 4

Oh there are so many!

There are the obvious ones *cough* TTBs *cough*, TV, and etc.

Then the less obvious ones....

Another strong one is our job, career, money, moving up the ladder. All good things of course, but if they take up our thinking hours in the days, this means that is also where most of our energy is going. What we think about we bring about.

Socializing. This is definitely important (if it's what you like), but overdone so that you have no time alone with your own thoughts, is not in balance. With cel phones, texting, social media, as well as so many interesting activities to go socialize with others in, this can get very distracting.

Apparently even exercise, if done to excess can be used as a distraction.

I think balance is the best way to go though. No sense being a hermit who never reads, never goes on the net and never watches moves :).

So did I miss any?

You can exclude everything from your life that is entertainment. Life itself must become our actual entertainment again. Not short-living, momentary distractions. There is so much to learn. So, so much. And when you need a break, you dont fill your brain (again) and remove your just newly gathered knowledge by pushing in new information: You go outside and just relax. And if it's too cold.. you can astral travel, project, lucid dream in a nap and bring back fresh ideas and be totally rejuvenated. Adopt an animal, communicate with wild animals.. or just watch them. The possibilities are endless.

My dusty TV was on this Summer when "coincidently" a documentation about Saddhu's came - ofc what else^^ but overall no TV and also no Radio since more than 3 years now. Barely any news at all. Just here and there to not feel to 'alien'.

"Son, we didnt have heritages from our old family members - we had TV!" and the whole Universe laughed.

Edited by 4bsolute
  • Like 1

You can exclude everything from your life that is entertainment. Life itself must become our actual entertainment again. Not short-living, momentary distractions. There is so much to learn. So, so much. And when you need a break, you dont fill your brain (again) and remove your just newly gathered knowledge by pushing in new information: You go outside and just relax. And if it's too cold.. you can astral travel, project, lucid dream in a nap and bring back fresh ideas and be totally rejuvenated. Adopt an animal, communicate with wild animals.. or just watch them. The possibilities are endless.

My dusty TV was on this Summer when "coincidently" a documentation about Saddhu's came - ofc what else^^ but overall no TV and also no Radio since more than 3 years now. Barely any news at all. Just here and there to not feel to 'alien'.

"Son, we didnt have heritages from our old family members - we had TV!" and the whole Universe laughed.

I think this is where I feel conflicted. I work in entertainment!

So days (like today) I wish to have stayed in and meditated.

Imagine that, going AWOL only to be found locked in the house in full lotus. That will be a funny day if it ever comes!

• Like 1

hint: "entertainment" is relative to the observer in question

hint: "hints" are also relative to the observer in question

• Like 1

In regards to the quest for information, I am reluctant to be any kind of judge.

It surely can be a distraction or a replacement for doing or learning something important but it also can be a pure expression of the searching mind, travelling along many paths, opening up unforseen possibilities.

I don't know much. My senses are dull. I try this and that to see what happens. The clearest direction given by a perceptive teacher may give me plenty to work on but still leaves me to live with the practice as my experiment, carried out by myself.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sign in to follow this