Sign in to follow this  
deci belle

Not-thinking

The habitual flow of the internal dialogue of conscious awareness is not to be trifled with. It cannot be stopped by force of some ill-conceived method of mental control. It is correct to just observe its flow without judging it or getting caught up with its momentum.

If a little voice seeps into the seat of observer this is the internal dialogue's insidious incipience infiltrating the objectivity of nonpsychological awareness.

Just noticing the voice is enough; do not follow it. Not following the flow of internal dialogue or the sneaky little voice seeking to re-instate its domination of conscious awareness is enough.

The objectivity of nonpsychological awareness and the insidious influence of the human (ego) mentality is the same mind. There are no two minds.

Just observing the mind is the non-dual practice utilizing the light of the mind to observe itself.

This is "turning the light around to shine back on itself".

So the light of the mind itself observing is the activation of not-thinking extolled by the ancients.

There is no intermediary employed other than mind itself.

One note to help those who have conjured the idea to meditate: The definition of meditation is effortlessness. if there is effort employed, one has not yet seen the shining mind.

Just do not-thinking to arrive at the shining mind. Observe this as just this. Observe that as just that. Scattered or shining, mind is one.

Observe the mind without following mind. After a long time, you will observe the Celestial.

ed note: delete reference to "mega-posters" that Flolfolil objected to…

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 5

I would hope that future off-topic remarks by a member of staff be voiced via PM.

It has now detracted from the import of this thread. There are hundreds, if not thousands of users of this content, registered and even more so who are not, who have no idea what your sticking-point relevant to the term "mega-poster" is, Flolfolil. Really!!

There are perhaps four or five non-registered users at least, at any given time, for every registered user. Do you think they even know what you are referring to? I do not blame your distinction, but it is a bit myopic. Can we please drop it? To pick that out of the whole post and gripe about is what is serving no worthwhile function at the present time.

As volatile as this has become of late, I am free to make an example of those who fit the bill …as if they don't deserve it. I have certainly paid my dues to do so. I haven't seen any of your threads deliberately, meaninglessly and boorishly attacked by any mega-posters of late.

My reference to mega-posters is absolutely relevant to this topic as it it is a terrific example of the working definition of those exercising the psychology of word-based understanding (at pennies by the pound, as it were), that is not only the antithesis of a non-discursive immediate knowledge cultivated within the capacity of the practice of not-thinking, it is the very reason for the inability to do so.

Non mega-posters can see this easily, as you do. Whereas those who have not yet made the distinction, by my example, they may perhaps become able to discern the not-so-subtle difference. I write to edify, using the most potent means available to me at any given time.

My work on this forum has never had a dependent relationship to anyone or anything. Neither do I depend on documented words from any tradition, let alone do I assume a fractured specialization in one or another as certain mega-posters do.

Let me use my examples as I see fit, since my point of reference is indisputably the source of the words of the classics, not dependent on the words derived and depended on by those who make their living on this forum, so to speak, solely by exercising the limited capacity of intellect alone.

• Like 1

"How amazing it is that all people have this (enlightened mind) but cannot polish it into bright clarity. In darkness unawakened, they make foolishness cover their wisdom and overflow."

Making an example of making foolishness covering wisdom worked for me in this instance. I will try to keep it as relevant in the future as I have in the past.

ed note: hmmmm, the automatic inclusion of closely-timed subsequent posts into previous posts doesn't seem to be working. I didn't meant to rack up so many posts!! I swear, I'm not trying to catch up to the mega-posters!!

Edited by deci belle

I missed the fun part of the mega-posters...

so now I am like one on an island thinking up stuff about mega-posters and what that means... I can either stop those thoughts and engage them for a chat and end up talking all night with my thoughts... chat, chat, chat (ie: post, post, post)... or I can simply let the 'mega-poster' thought walk on its way around the island alone...

"Observe the mind without following mind. After a long time, you will observe the Celestial."

Nicely said... You give a new meaning to 'mind control'. We often apply that as one person(s) doing that to another... and we never see how we apply it to ourselves !

• Like 1

It's called off-topic because that is precisely what it is. Please be an example of what an ass-hole isn't, dear.❤

Some people have way too much time (and posts evidently) to be irresponsible (or so they think).

Life is short. This forum can only rise to the level of its administrators. Let's loose this one.

Not-thinking is not a matter of flippant mindlessness as demonstrated by the above administrator Protector.

Not-thinking discursively, not making intellectual or emotional interpretations (well-meant by Flolfolil and derisively by Protector), not trying to figure anything out, but rather having real devotion in terms of true vulnerability by commitment to presence in any given situation— this is the import of authentic practice.

I am very cautious in using the term devotion, because even the word selfless tends to send the recreational philosophers scurrying out of the room. Squeamish bunch, they are…❤ Beyond this, it is the fact that recreational philosophers cannot deal with anything remotely having to do with the work of not trying to figure anything out. This is precisely why they feel like they are being left out of the conversation. They simply cannot let go of the intellectual apparatus and are quite lost without it. If they cannot use w-o-r-d-s, they are completely at a loss. It is truly lamentable. I have been accused of using words myself… but only to convey the experience of not-using words, I might add~ which is beyond the ken of literalists …they do not know how little though. The inability to break out of the prison of words is simply due to laziness~ and the fear of ostracision from the mob mentality they hide behind.

Recently, I had the opportunity to look at certain Sanskrit-derived material, obviously not originated, but evidently penned about 1500 years ago that has been available in the English language for around thirty years according to my source. I was shown documents sourced from this authentic tradition employing both devotional and psychological formats.

I would have to say that what I read of the devotional material was principally in line (in terms of feeling-tone) with any of the alchemical Songs of Complete Reality taoist tradition. Perhaps slightly more ravishing as in the tradition of the mystic bard, Mirabai, than the Taoist counterparts. This being accountable to the Sanskrit spiritual tradition's penchant for personifying the teaching device as over against an east-Asian essential-minimalism given its traditions evolving into the first millennium CE.

The only reason I bring this up is because, of those whose stomachs are lead-lined per the recognition and reception of alchemical true knowledge, the so-called devotional aspect of the Kashmiri tradition I viewed is essentially what I have been referring to in terms of open sincerity by its function as a framework for an ego-pulverizing vulnerability in practice.

In alchemical terms this is open sincerity/earth catalyzing (clarifying conscious discursive knowledge/mercury) which attracts submerged (in water) true lead/real nonpsychological knowledge. Conscious knowledge nurturing real knowledge (refining true yang by true yin), is what is meant by the term sustaining a subtle consistency of concentration, like a hen sitting on an egg, mentally incubating the elixir of true awareness of the embryo of sagehood.

A certain bum has recently discussed the challenge of 24/7 meditation as if it is a type of carry-over of stillness (just-sitting) into meditation-in-action. Without reservation, I must say that unless an impersonal devotional commitment to vulnerability (presence) in terms of ordinary situations is employed, there is no meditation to speak of, much less actualized.

The fact of the matter is that the practice of stillness is for the benefit of beginners whose psychology has already been grounded substantially in one or more authentic analytic teaching traditions for many years, so they can actually see the ebb and flow of their conditioned human mentality for the first and subsequent time(s) responsibly, without developing addictions to meditation states (or then wanting to do something with it in this case).

Complete Reality tradition calls for arriving at and sustaining a subtle consistency of concentration once this conditioned human mentality has lost its habit-energy of psychological momentum— at which point, the stage of the beginners' still-sitting method of self-refinement should be weaned from the forefront of practice. That point should take years of devotion to see, not a flash of ego-motivation and a question-oriented thread on this forum.

ed note: change BCE to CE in the 8th paragraph

Edited by deci belle

" The soul. Like the moon,
is now, and always new again."
" My teacher told me one thing,
live in the soul.
When that was so,

I began to go naked,

And dance."
Lal Ded
  • Like 2

The habitual flow of the internal dialogue of conscious awareness is not to be trifled with. It cannot be stopped by force of some ill-conceived method of mental control. It is correct to just observe its flow without judging it or getting caught up with its momentum.

If a little voice seeps into the seat of observer this is the internal dialogue's insidious incipience infiltrating the objectivity of nonpsychological awareness.

Just noticing the voice is enough; do not follow it. Not following the flow of internal dialogue or the sneaky little voice seeking to re-instate its domination of conscious awareness is enough.

The objectivity of nonpsychological awareness and the insidious influence of the human (ego) mentality is the same mind. There are no two minds.

Just observing the mind is the non-dual practice utilizing the light of the mind to observe itself.

This is "turning the light around to shine back on itself".

So the light of the mind itself observing is the activation of not-thinking extolled by the ancients.

There is no intermediary employed other than mind itself.

One note to help those who have conjured the idea to meditate: The definition of meditation is effortlessness. if there is effort employed, one has not yet seen the shining mind.

Just do not-thinking to arrive at the shining mind. Observe this as just this. Observe that as just that. Scattered or shining, mind is one.

Observe the mind without following mind. After a long time, you will observe the Celestial.

I like the post, but its a bit mind centric imo in that is is of equal value to be aware of emotions, sensations and the gaps. One might get the impression that its all about observing the thinking intellect and it may lead to it being too top heavy and dissociated from the body, especially as we are generally so cerebro centric already in our society. If there is a groundedness in the body then the internal dialogue has less force to take your identity.

• Like 1

Precisely what I am saying is that there is no thinking intellect to observe once you begin to observe its absence. In its absence, the light does not hide anything because it is not being used habitually by the psychological (intellectual/emotional) apparatus to create illusion. Observation IS a discipline that SOME people need to practice. I have never meditated in my life. I have just devoted myself to open sincere intent in terms of now. That was my entry-point long, long ago.

Otherwise, these are valid concerns, Jetsun, but in terms of process there is just open sincerity. Everything else inside and out, which is essentially one and without beginning, proceeds in a natural course of evolution in the midst of ordinary affairs.

Not everyone has the same potentials nor burdens of karmic challenges. We only need to responsibly meet them in turn; in this respect, reality is karmic because potential is inherent in the dna of the situation itself. There is no other reality. Awakened enlightening being is just full presence within Unity in terms of the relative as expressed through the interdependence of karmic mutual arising.

I do reflect on spontaneous response as a spontaneous exercise (very occasionally~ but certainly recently, I must admit). So the contemplation of spontaneous response is another way to practice observation. It (stopping and seeing) is not meant to be limited to the flow of unconscious thought, other than by MOST beginners, but certainly not all who venture to explore the nature of perception out of a sense of natural wonder as I have …and perhaps you, as well, need to take up such a mind-centric approach as a rule.

Yet ultimately, all is mind. Seeing this for yourself, the unity of aware nature is a selfless locus arising out of one's own potential in everyday ordinary situations which has no origination— No one is perceived as outside oneself, in terms of mutual response. So the law of Cause is ultimately Causeless because this fact suits our inconceivable nature, which is a beginningless selfless aware light where even eternity is something created and nothing does not exist.

You seem to be opening up into the clusters of elements of the organism in terms of seeing that there is a rich, rich basis to the reality of true being. It's like learning a whole vocabulary of the body. In truth, this is the abode of other, wordlessly knowing.

I have been known to say that thought is itself indicative of mental illness.❤

ed note: add "Seeing this for yourself, the unity of aware nature is a selfless locus arising out of one's own potential in everyday ordinary situations which has no origination— No one is perceived as outside oneself, in terms of mutual response.", in 5th paragraph

Edited by deci belle

Jetsun closed his post with:

If there is a groundedness in the body then the internal dialogue has less force to take your identity.

As did dawei:

…a new meaning to 'mind control'. We often apply that as one person(s) doing that to another... and we never see how we apply it to ourselves !

These observations are profound.❤

ed note: add dawei's quote

Edited by deci belle

Sign in to follow this