CrunchyChocolate555

Getting punched in the gut...

Hey guys,

I wanted to know, perhaps someone who has some knowledge about the topic could help me.

How bad is getting heavy blows (punches, medicine ball throws) to the gut on a weekly basis? Of course, with a kiai (yell), as well as strong contraction of the abdominal muscles, during the punch.

The reason I ask is because I have been doing a weekly martial arts/self defense (kajukembo) class during which we receive some really heavy punches in the gut while standing in horsestance, and then a session of medicine ball throws to the gut.

This makes me feel really uneasy, because of how vulnerable the area is, and because I already have liver qi stagnation, a bad diaphragm, and pelvic floor probs. I feel my entire gut in "knots", so to speak. I am kind of worried about any potential damage this may be causing me.

I have never brought this issue up with my instructor for 2 reasons:

1) He is a very knowledgeable acupuncturist and TCM doctor and he is well acquainted with my health condition, so I figured he would have contraindicated it for me. He suggested I attend in the first place. (it is a private/exclusive class at this particular school, and not anyone can view or attend it).

2) There is a "no pain no gain" mentality associated with this particular class. It is self defense, so we throw real punches with no remorse. The idea is we can always "fix" things after the damage is done. There is potential for injury, but that's the risk you assume.

But like I said, my concern is really with the abdominal punches. Sure, you see the Shaolin monks do it, but they do this all day every day, and have extensive qi training. We have bagua/hsing-i as part of the curriculum during the rest of the week, but the only preparation we do for this class is 30 min of deep horse stance. No internal work.

So with that said, I worry that if I bring this up, I will simply be asked to leave the class, be viewed as "weak" and awkwardness will ensue (as I do not want to stop the other classes). I doubt he will make an exception for me. You either do it their way, or don't do it at all.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I always found it to be quite good for my organs, sort of like a massage. I would leave class feeling very energised and my digestive system seemed to improve from receiving the regular beating...

• Like 2

IMO it's bad for you. The proper way to do it is gradually building up the power of the blows while doing internal work alongside it.

This just sounds like throwing you in the deep end so to speak, and having to heavily tense and take the blows will just build external resistance while neglecting the internal side.

• Like 3

As long as you are taught the proper way to breathe and tense (well half tense sorta), on impact, all should be fine. If your instructor hasn't gone over this aspect extensively enough for your comfort level, you can ask him to elaborate more on it. Instead of asking "is it safe" and worrying about being booted from the extra class, you could word it more like "so what is the proper tension and breathing to do upon impact to make sure my internal organs stay healthy?" On a side note, you will *know* when the impact is too much for your system, it will be pretty obvious. I know this from personal experience (a bunch of kicks to the abdominal region). However if you have already been through a few classes of this and are still fine, then you should be good.

I'm also guessing from your description that this isn't the newbie first month of martial arts class your teacher offers this in ;). As you have likely noticed the various qigong and martial arts exercises sort of solidify us so that we can take more of this sort of thing. In the above post you said something about no internal or qi training, but you said you do Bagua and Xinyi; it is nearly impossible to do Bagua without the internal stuff, if you are aware of it or not. Circle walking alone builds what you need to take punches. Actually doing horse stance does as well, especially for as long as you do it for. Not many qi exercises better than those two actually. (30 mins of hose stance, I would die! lol)

On a side note, from the little bit of teaching I have done myself, I know that the teacher is aware of far more in class and on more levels, then one might think. This is especially true if he is a TCM Dr.

Btw, I have only been practicing martial arts a few years; this is my take/experience on things, and what I have been told by much more experience folks. (in other words I could be dead wrong lol) Hopefully some more experienced martial artists will chime in...

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 1

Hey guys,

I wanted to know, perhaps someone who has some knowledge about the topic could help me.

How bad is getting heavy blows (punches, medicine ball throws) to the gut on a weekly basis? Of course, with a kiai (yell), as well as strong contraction of the abdominal muscles, during the punch.

It is very bad if you have no internal practice for a long time like the Shaolin monks. Without the prerequisite of internal practice which in Nei Gong(內功), the constant punches to the abdomen may cause serious damages and injuries to the internal organs.

The reason I ask is because I have been doing a weekly martial arts/self defense (kajukembo) class during which we receive some really heavy punches in the gut while standing in horsestance, and then a session of medicine ball throws to the gut.

Please tell me what is the "medicine ball".

This makes me feel really uneasy, because of how vulnerable the area is, and because I already have liver qi stagnation, a bad diaphragm, and pelvic floor probs. I feel my entire gut in "knots", so to speak. I am kind of worried about any potential damage this may be causing me.

In this case, you should stop the practice immediately before further damages done to the internal organs.

I have never brought this issue up with my instructor for 2 reasons:

1) He is a very knowledgeable acupuncturist and TCM doctor and he is well acquainted with my health condition, so I figured he would have contraindicated it for me. He suggested I attend in the first place. (it is a private/exclusive class at this particular school, and not anyone can view or attend it).

Don't assume anything about others, you are your own concern. You are the one who is receiving the damages, not others. After he heard your story and pays no attention to your concern, then he is not a good acupuncturist and TCM doctor.

The latter part was only to make it sound so secretive, so what.....??? The things you have described above one can learn it any where. It was nothing special.

2) There is a "no pain no gain" mentality associated with this particular class. It is self defense, so we throw real punches with no remorse. The idea is we can always "fix" things after the damage is done. There is potential for injury, but that's the risk you assume.

"no pain no gain" is only applies to initially with no pain then there is gain. However, in your case, you initially have some "pain", hence there was "no gain".

But like I said, my concern is really with the abdominal punches. Sure, you see the Shaolin monks do it, but they do this all day every day, and have extensive qi training. We have bagua/hsing-i as part of the curriculum during the rest of the week, but the only preparation we do for this class is 30 min of deep horse stance. No internal work.

Please keep in mind the Shaolin monks had done the Nei Gong practice for a long long time before they can take the punches.

So with that said, I worry that if I bring this up, I will simply be asked to leave the class, be viewed as "weak" and awkwardness will ensue (as I do not want to stop the other classes). I doubt he will make an exception for me. You either do it their way, or don't do it at all.

For your health condition, I would recommend that you quit the class and practice Chi Kung to heal your internal organ illnesses.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

IMO it's bad for you. The proper way to do it is gradually building up the power of the blows while doing internal work alongside it.

This just sounds like throwing you in the deep end so to speak, and having to heavily tense and take the blows will just build external resistance while neglecting the internal side.

I'm a bit in the middle, but closer to Ish. It can have benefits if you work up to it slowly. You may not want to be starting in a class where other students with more experience are hitting hard. Definitely take it up with your instructor.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Here's a few things I feel I need to clarify:

The class starts with 30 minutes of horse stance, followed by 10 strong punches in the gut (lower dan tien), 4 to the sides of the abdomen, 2 chops to each shoulder, and 2 slaps on each side of the ribs (all HARD). Then, 2 kicks to the inside and outside of each thigh. All this, still standing in deep horse stance. This is followed by medicine ball throws to the gut. Medicine balls are weighted leather balls, typically we use 5-10lbs, and we basically have someone lie down, protect their crotch and solar plexus, and have another person throw the ball down onto the other person's gut very hard. Again, about 20-30 reps total.

On each punch received you are supposed to "kiai", which means you contract the area hit very tightly and let out a very loud shout, that should originate from your lower dan tien. The idea is that if executed correctly, this should prevent any internal damage. However, even with doing this, in my own case, I feel a lot of internal pressure and pain.

The class then proceeds with the actual techniques and such. There area also kicks to the abdomen, and this in particular worries me because if you do not kiai at the exact right moment, you will be hurt. This has already happened to me a couple of times. On two occasions I did not kiai at the right moment, and got kicked very hard in the liver. This knocked the wind out of me and left me in pretty bad pain. Luckily, I don't think it did any damage.

But what if it happens on the other side, and you get kicked in the spleen and it ruptures?

Like I said, I have a lot of problems with my abdomen. I have a bad liver, a very tight diaphragm which makes it difficult for me to breath, and furthermore, I have had problems with my bladder in the past that make it so that now I have difficulty emptying it completely, which puts it at risk for rupture.

So, I will definitely inquire with my instructor about all this. But the main reason I posted was to ask if I had reasonable justification to be worried.

I know he had previously told me that the punches are actually good, and clear stagnation out, but I don't feel it does for me. I do not want to argue with him..

It really sucks, because I like this class. I am obviously worried about the potential for injury, but one of the benefits of the class, as was explained to me, was to tap into the spiritual aspect of getting familiar with the pain and suffering, something that reaps one great rewards.

Then again, I don't want to die of a ruptured spleen lol

The class starts with 30 minutes of horse stance, followed by 10 strong punches in the gut (lower dan tien), 4 to the sides of the abdomen, 2 chops to each shoulder, and 2 slaps on each side of the ribs (all HARD). Then, 2 kicks to the inside and outside of each thigh. All this, still standing in deep horse stance. This is followed by medicine ball throws to the gut. Medicine balls are weighted leather balls, typically we use 5-10lbs, and we basically have someone lie down, protect their crotch and solar plexus, and have another person throw the ball down onto the other person's gut very hard. Again, about 20-30 reps total.

FYI Any external force applied to your body is considered external practice(外功), initially your body is not ready to take all these punishments without any internal practice to begin without. And this medicine ball thing does sound like very medical neither. Especially, you have some internal organ problems, if your internal organs continue to take such punishment will cause more injuries.

On each punch received you are supposed to "kiai", which means you contract the area hit very tightly and let out a very loud shout, that should originate from your lower dan tien. The idea is that if executed correctly, this should prevent any internal damage. However, even with doing this, in my own case, I feel a lot of internal pressure and pain.

The class then proceeds with the actual techniques and such. There area also kicks to the abdomen, and this in particular worries me because if you do not kiai at the exact right moment, you will be hurt. This has already happened to me a couple of times. On two occasions I did not kiai at the right moment, and got kicked very hard in the liver. This knocked the wind out of me and left me in pretty bad pain. Luckily, I don't think it did any damage.

"Executed correctly" which means the timing had to be right, it seems to me that your timings are off which indicates you are not ready for such practice. Hence, it will do more harm than good for you at the moment.

Luckily no damage done at the first time; but how about few more times in the near future...???

But what if it happens on the other side, and you get kicked in the spleen and it ruptures?

Who knows what might happened. However, do you want to take that chance.....???

Like I said, I have a lot of problems with my abdomen. I have a bad liver, a very tight diaphragm which makes it difficult for me to breath, and furthermore, I have had problems with my bladder in the past that make it so that now I have difficulty emptying it completely, which puts it at risk for rupture.

Breathing is the key to all martial arts. The breathing problem is your biggest handicap right now. If you cannot breathe correctly, then the punches to the abdomen is your worse enemy. By your own admission, you have lots of internal organ problems, I would quit the class, immediately, if I were you.

So, I will definitely inquire with my instructor about all this. But the main reason I posted was to ask if I had reasonable justification to be worried.

Of course, you are definitely have all the rights for the reasonable justification to be worried. It is your body and health.

I know he had previously told me that the punches are actually good, and clear stagnation out, but I don't feel it does for me. I do not want to argue with him..

It is the worse fallacy I have ever heard. What it was saying is: "if you are bleeding, to stop it is to give it another deep cut". I'm sure that I wouldn't like to have someone tells me something like that for my personal instructor. Are you sure that your instructor said that he is a TCM Dr........???

It really sucks, because I like this class. I am obviously worried about the potential for injury, but one of the benefits of the class, as was explained to me, was to tap into the spiritual aspect of getting familiar with the pain and suffering, something that reaps one great rewards.

Please keep in mind spiritual aspect should not inflict any physical pain to the body; but in your case it does.

This is another preventive measure for you to quit the class.

My finally words for you is no matter how much you like the class, it is not for you at your present health condition of your internal organs.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

So, you are beating your gut up and afraid to stop because...you feel gutless? Like you got no guts?

• Like 3

So, you are beating your gut up and afraid to stop because...you feel gutless? Like you got no guts?

He has the guts to admit that his guts were damages once before and does not wish to have anymore damages.

• Like 2

Sounds like the wrong class for you. Your condition is not appropriate for that intensity of practice. Your judgement is better than your teacher's in this case and you are being (unintentionally and recklessly) set up for injury.

Given your level of noob-ness & naivete, the class atmosphere that you describe, and that your teacher (and doctor, aware of your condition) had you do the practices in the first place... I'd suggest not returning to that dojo. Go about finding gentler methods to more wisely address your abdominal healing.

Edited by Trunk
  • Like 2

Chocolate

In my martial arts class, we do something similar once every week but not everyday.

It is not a matter of being weak or strong, that is just a word.

This things suppose to teach you how to relax and breath properly.

Just ask your teacher politely, I am sure that he/she will glady explain it to you and help you

Overcome things.

Or just try asking any of your senior student that you felt comfortable with about this concerns.

One of the useful thing I found is to have a partner punching you softly and firmly in the area to

help you to find the proper relaxation and letting the body learn the proper timing to breath.

You can ofcourse do this outside of class.

Goodluck and Peace be on your way,

It will be nice for you to update us.

Take care now.

• Like 2

If you have a bad liver and are getting punched hard in the stomach area..that's bad. As cool and tough as the school sounds, its probably not worth screwing up an organ for, especially one that's not 100%.

I did some golden bell chi gung and most of the practice was hitting oneself in the belly area, but it started with gentle slaps and over months went to self slapping w/ a closed fist. Many months before others took shots at you. There are other schools.

• Like 2

If you have pre-existing conditions, hell no! Or at least not hard hitting. Have you discussed your health stuff with your instructor? If you do decide to go for it still, I'd recommend asking folks to go LIGHTER! I know it's fun to hit hard and all, but not necessary.

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 2

Wow! remind me of the old kick-boxer movies with Jean-Claude Vandaaaaamn.( I spelled his name wrong, I know :P )

It doesn't matter what Shaolin monks were doing, or that you are studying a martial art and thus must take pain and learn to deal with it. The truth is, depending on what culture of martial arts one is training in, health is first and foremost. Bad health, can't practice.

I would most definitely, and humbly suggest leaving that training center. I never heard of Chinese Martial Arts treating the practitioner without any regards for their physical health.

Question, is the teacher non-Chinese? If so, figures.

If he is Chinese, most likely believes that a hard body is more important, and well, he is missing the actual important aspect, which is health.

There are many ways to skin a cat, and the more intense your physical training is, in terms of inflicting pain, the worse your health will become.

Many ways to train a hard body with healthy practices.

I had a teacher that used to say deal with the pain. Then I saw that he himself needed knee surgery, stents in his heart, and had heel-spurs, and not to mention several times needing serious invasive methods to remove kidney stones.

Thus, I altered how I practiced, augmented the forms and techniques I learned. I felt better, and still do, but the result is the opposition from the old teacher; and the best way to deal with it is, Not give a rats ass about it. :D The other result is a much healthier mind and body.

Take care of your body. Once it starts to wane, you will not be able to train diligently, intensely and for long term.

Are you using any Dit Da Jiow (Die Da Jiu)? Please tell me you are at least using that...lol

Edited by 林愛偉
  • Like 3

Yes, plenty of Jiow, as much as one would need!

And yes, my instructor is white, as was his teacher. But, his teacher's teacher was Chinese, and all the way back to Dong Haichuan.

You know what, honestly, I wouldn't mind leaving the class.

I can't (and don't want to) just leave the center though. I study Tui Na and internal martial arts on a near daily basis and I'm friends with the students and instructors there.

I think my fears are unfounded, but what I do not look forward to is the "your loss!" answer that I am kind of expecting from him. Plus, having to explain to everyone why I can't continue, and fear of sounding like I'm just wimping out.

See, I have a lot of trouble being assertive, and no matter how good my reason is, it will probably just end up sounding like a lame excuse. If I were a little more confident, I don't think I'd have this problem. :/

Wow! remind me of the old kick-boxer movies with Jean-Claude Vandaaaaamn.( I spelled his name wrong, I know :P )

It doesn't matter what Shaolin monks were doing, or that you are studying a martial art and thus must take pain and learn to deal with it. The truth is, depending on what culture of martial arts one is training in, health is first and foremost. Bad health, can't practice.

I would most definitely, and humbly suggest leaving that training center. I never heard of Chinese Martial Arts treating the practitioner without any regards for their physical health.

Question, is the teacher non-Chinese? If so, figures.

If he is Chinese, most likely believes that a hard body is more important, and well, he is missing the actual important aspect, which is health.

There are many ways to skin a cat, and the more intense your physical training is, in terms of inflicting pain, the worse your health will become.

Many ways to train a hard body with healthy practices.

I had a teacher that used to say deal with the pain. Then I saw that he himself needed knee surgery, stents in his heart, and had heel-spurs, and not to mention several times needing serious invasive methods to remove kidney stones.

Thus, I altered how I practiced, augmented the forms and techniques I learned. I felt better, and still do, but the result is the opposition from the old teacher; and the best way to deal with it is, Not give a rats ass about it. :D The other result is a much healthier mind and body.

Take care of your body. Once it starts to wane, you will not be able to train diligently, intensely and for long term.

Are you using any Dit Da Jiow (Die Da Jiu)? Please tell me you are at least using that...lol

You are totally right! They may make statements like "your loss", or "weakling..." etc.

But that is their problem, not yours.

They will not pay for your medical bills, for Chinese or Western Medicine. So, don't feel bad.

They may say how martial arts is about learning to take pain, etc, etc, etc...

No, its not. Martial Arts, Chinese Arts, is about bettering yourself, living healthy, being educated, and cultivating the mind.
The fighting aspect is inevitably learned, and anyone can do that. To be exceptional goes beyond conditioning the body to take hits. Exceptional is where you are no where to be hit.

Circle walking will strengthen and refine evasive methods, and cultivate a twisting transitional energy in your strikes.

Many methods within the circle walking, like technique and position, will strengthen the bones and muscles, as well as strengthen the internal organs.

Further standing practices will raise one's skill level, and more circle walking will bring all the potential to a higher state.

We have a lot of ordinary martial artists, and very few exceptional ones. Anyone can be a great fighter for fighting's sake, but very few will be exceptional, with exceptional skill as Dong Hai Chuan, Yin Fu, Sun Lu Tang, Wang Xiang Zhai, Huo Yuan Jia, Huang Fei Hong...meaning the exceptional ones from the last 100yrs.

Take care of your body, understand that martial arts just isn't about how much pain you can take, how much you can endure in practice. Its about understanding your body, how you can do things without burning out, hurting yourself, and others, especially others; when hitting them.

Since you feel the training is causing more pain, and more discomfort, that is your realization. You can not expect those who attach ego to their training to understand you.

It will be your loss when you leave, but the loss is excessive pain and discomfort, which may lead to chronic health problems in the future. You will gain nothing but problems from those who view themselves as superior to everyone else just because they stuck through whatever they think is right.

I learned by sticking with nonsense, ignorance, and egotism all throughout my Wing Chun training. Though I distanced myself from such ridiculous behavior, I was still a focus of the old teacher's desire to overtake my efforts and school. It didn't work, and now he doesn't like me.

The truth can be difficult for a lot of people. You will have many enemies because you stand up for what is right. So, take the steps now to move on and away from such situations, and simply deal with the minor ridicule. It will go away on its own. :-)

If I were to go back to when I began Wing Chun, instead of deciding to learn what these egotists know so I can defend myself against them in the future, I would have devoted all my life, as I do now, to Taiji Quan and Bagua Zhang. It is more "spiritually" focused, meaning focuses on personal cultivation, investigation of the mind, and refinement of the body in terms of movement and energy. All in all, those 3 are one.

Now, I have augmented my Wing Chun to be more Taiji and Bagua esque. Still refining it. So for me, I will have to deal with the ignorance of those in my past. I hope no one has to do that, so follow your heart, and be straight up with yourself early on.

Yes, plenty of Jiow, as much as one would need!

And yes, my instructor is white, as was his teacher. But, his teacher's teacher was Chinese, and all the way back to Dong Haichuan.

You know what, honestly, I wouldn't mind leaving the class.

I can't (and don't want to) just leave the center though. I study Tui Na and internal martial arts on a near daily basis and I'm friends with the students and instructors there.

I think my fears are unfounded, but what I do not look forward to is the "your loss!" answer that I am kind of expecting from him. Plus, having to explain to everyone why I can't continue, and fear of sounding like I'm just wimping out.

See, I have a lot of trouble being assertive, and no matter how good my reason is, it will probably just end up sounding like a lame excuse. If I were a little more confident, I don't think I'd have this problem. :/

Edited by 林愛偉
  • Like 2

I'd say try explaining yourself to your teacher first. There is a chance he had no idea that you had any health problems. Also if you don't ask folks to hit lighter, they figure all is well and good. If however they don't listen to you in this regard, run quickly, to the other local schools ;).

• Like 2

I'd say try explaining yourself to your teacher first. There is a chance he had no idea that you had any health problems. Also if you don't ask folks to hit lighter, they figure all is well and good. If however they don't listen to you in this regard, run quickly, to the other local schools ;).

Who can guarantee to hit lighter....???

I started doing Hard Qigong a while back during my spontaneous movement sessions but its very different to not doing it intuitively, I knew exactly where I needed to hit myself and how hard, yeh sometimes I would hit very hard but definately not to start off with. I am sure if one is not doing this right, it can be dangerous and silly.

• Like 2

Thank you sincerely for all the advice. Today I will talk to my instructor

Good luck, and don't think too much. Sometimes we think too much about something, when in fact, its not much of a big problem.

• Like 4