idiot_stimpy

Natural Perfection: Longchenpa's Radical Dzogchen - translated by Keith Dowman

Dzogchen or the Great Perfection is the apex of Tibetan Buddhism, and Longchen Rabjam is recognized as the pre-eminent master of Dzogchen and one of Tibet's greatest writers and sages. His Treasury of Reality encompasses and optimizes the radical precepts of Dzogchen and is a shining example of why people continue to turn to the traditions of Tibet for spiritual and personal transformation. Transcending the Tibetan context, Longchen Rabjam’s book is a manual of practical wisdom for all people of all times, cultures, and traditions. Dzogchen teaches the natural perfection of all experience, phenomena, and life, just as it is, with no need to alter or fabricate complex ideas or philosophical views. This discipline of spiritual transcendence provides the key not only to our inner enlightenment but to the health and survival of our planet.

516OuvdBwCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Perfection-Longchenpas-Radical-Dzogchen/dp/086171640X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1369958052&sr=8-3&keywords=keith+dowman

What a fantastic book that has pointing out instructions.

Seriously recommended.

This is my second Keith Dowman translated book and both are fantastic.

Not for intellectuals/scholars who only want to amass knowledge, only for those who are serious in uncovering their true nature.

Edited by idiot_stimpy
  • Like 4

What a fantastic book that has pointing out instructions.

Seriously recommended.

This is my second Keith Dowman translated book and both are fantastic.

Not for intellectuals/scholars who only want to amass knowledge, only for those who are serious in uncovering their true nature.

You also need a real teacher wich introduces this knowledge to you.

I am sure you already know this .

Then any dzogchen text will work better and reading such materials can very easily transport you into the state of rigpa.

• Like 2

I am very fortunate for the causes and conditions that has led me to this book.

The motive for this thread is to create conditions that may allow others to come across it also.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I have been reading the Dalai Lama's commentary on Longchepa's "Finding Comfort and Ease in Meditation on the Great Perfection" the last few days which is a really good book. I know it is always said that you need to have a master to point out Rigpa to you but Longchepa provides many methods towards realising it and have been wondering how possible it is to recognise it without a master, could the pointing out from a book be enough for some people I wonder?

Thanks for the recommendation.

I have been reading the Dalai Lama's commentary on Longchepa's "Finding Comfort and Ease in Meditation on the Great Perfection" the last few days which is a really good book. I know it is always said that you need to have a master to point out Rigpa to you but Longchepa provides many methods towards realising it and have been wondering how possible it is to recognise it without a master, could the pointing out from a book be enough for some people I wonder?

The general consensus is that recognizing your nature without a teacher is difficult next to impossible.

By trying to recognize your nature based on some reading you do, the only thing you will manage to acomplish is to replace one concept with another.Because you will always have some reference points saying "so is not this ,therefore it must be that" or "wait, is not that either, it must be the other one" and you will find yourself into an continuous state of indecision, a perpetual state of doubt.

Why ?

Because the state of rigpa hasn't been introduced to you in a very concrete way and you haven't been shown that directly.

Reading text is the sutrayana approach of zen. Recognizing unfabricated presence doesnt make you a dzogchen practitioner, anymore than zen people are dzogchen practitioners. Recognizing unfabricated presence is only 1 out of 3 wisdoms of rigpa by the way.

Reading text is the sutrayana approach of zen. Recognizing unfabricated presence doesnt make you a dzogchen practitioner, anymore than zen people are dzogchen practitioners. Recognizing unfabricated presence is only 1 out of 3 wisdoms of rigpa by the way.

You don't need to recognize each one individually(the 3 wisdoms).In dzogchen there is no such thing as discovering the aspects of the base one by one.When you discover your nature you discover everything.

The description of how the base is and everything, is for the sake of intellectual clarity and structure and has nothing to do with the actual discovery.When you discover, there is no such thing as "this is this aspect that is that aspect".

If there is such thing then that is not your nature and it is just conceptual proliferation.

• Like 2

You don't need to recognize each one individually(the 3 wisdoms).In dzogchen there is no such thing as discovering the aspects of the base one by one.When you discover your nature you discover everything.

The description of how the base is and everything, is for the sake of intellectual clarity and structure and has nothing to do with the actual discovery.When you discover, there is no such thing as "this is this aspect that is that aspect".

If there is such thing then that is not your nature and it is just conceptual proliferation.

I'm been reading Namdrol's debates with Zen people since Esangha.

Of course there is. The kadag wisdom relates to trekcho. Many people get that part. The lhun grub wisdom relates to secret practices.

• Like 1

Of course there is. The kadag wisdom relates to trekcho. Many people get that part. The lhun grub wisdom relates to secret practices.

You work with the same nature whether is treckchod or thogal but with different aspects of that nature.

It's not like, when you do thogal you discover the thigle or vissions.They are part of the same nature you've discovered.

The main point is the nature.If there is no nature there can't be kadag and lhundrup .

I'm been reading Namdrol's debates with Zen people since Esangha.

Myself , i respect Malcolm's opinions and views regarding teachings a lot.

He played a major role in educating people and clearing up misconceptions about the teachings especially dzogchen.

But if you followed his progress over the years you also know that he has changed his views and the way he sees the knowledge he amassed over time.

If you read the DW posts on the dzogchen thread you will come to see what i mean.

One of the major changes was when he realized that he only uses his knowledge to debate others and not for furthering his realization of the teaching .

I do not know though what are his present views regarding zen people or if he holds other views in this respect than in the past.

But the fact remains that i continue to value his knowledge of the teaching and i listen with much interest to whatever he has to say.

You work with the same nature whether is treckchod or thogal but with different aspects of that nature.

It's not like, when you do thogal you discover the thigle or vissions.They are part of the same nature you've discovered.

The main point is the nature.If there is no nature there can't be kadag and lhundrup .

Of course, both relate to your nature. But as you say they relate to different aspects of that nature. Trekcho, which relates to the kadag wisdom, precedes secret practices which is related to the lhun grub wisdom.

Of course, both relate to your nature. But as you say they relate to different aspects of that nature. Trekcho, which relates to the kadag wisdom, precedes secret practices which is related to the lhun grub wisdom.

I agree.That's how it is.

Another amazing book is:

69895213.jpg

Will have to look into this.

I have nearly read through the book I posted twice. Well worth the money, considering the priceless wisdom.

Will have to look into this.

I have nearly read through the book I posted twice. Well worth the money, considering the priceless wisdom.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you like the Longchenpa you will like the Nang Jang by Dudjom Lingpa - absolutely amazing.

I've seen pdf's of it available online (scribd) but I can't say for sure if it's public domain so I won't link to it. Although, I would recommend you just buy a copy either way - it is also priceless and a resource to treasure.

I have that book: Buddhahood Without Meditation. It is a simple and clear book. I love it too.

Even learned what dag-dzin means!

Identitylessness is part of the equation.

:)

You also need a real teacher wich introduces this knowledge to you.

I am sure you already know this .

Then any dzogchen text will work better and reading such materials can very easily transport you into the state of rigpa.

The beautiful thing is that there are great resources online where real teachers can introduce the knowledge.

Always best to get it in the flesh but the cyber-space is a decent medium whether live or prerecorded.

Try Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's website or do an Alan Wallace retreat in the privacy of your own home.

Lot's of ways to get a foot on the (non)path...

The beautiful thing is that there are great resources online where real teachers can introduce the knowledge.

Always best to get it in the flesh but the cyber-space is a decent medium whether live or prerecorded.

Try Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's website or do an Alan Wallace retreat in the privacy of your own home.

Lot's of ways to get a foot on the (non)path...

I would add to that CNNR.

He gives teachings by webcast nearly every month.

I have three of Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's books.

Which books and how do you like them?

From what I've read of his (Wonders of the Natural Mind) and what I've seen of his webcasts, he seems to be an excellent teacher.

I have Wonders of the Natural Mind, The Tibetan Yogas Of Dream And Sleep, and Healing with Form, Energy and Light.

I read them a few years ago. Would do me well to read them again as I didn't understand most of stuff in them back then as I had limited experience with meditation.

Edited by idiot_stimpy

I would add to that CNNR.

He gives teachings by webcast nearly every month.

Plus there are so many books, DVDs, and CDs available to those who have obtained transmission from Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche to learn actual practices to to induce the knowledge of one's natural state if they don't get it straight away. Rinpoche's teachings are an amazing resource.

Edited by Creation
  • Like 1