Tatsumaru

What is the secret of being ultra smart ?

I would really like to keep this post alive. I think it is a great question and very interesting pursuit. Although, there should be some caution with respect to spiritual materialism. Maybe the proper way to look at it would be as a hobby that is enjoyed? I am going to start experimenting with some of the techniques and will report back on my own results. Image streaming, memory system, daily qigong, etc.

Yep. I came to this same conclusion and decided not to chase after these kind of attainments. If you want to be good at something the most efficient way is not increasing intelligence but devoting yourself to training hard and keeping at it.

intelligence: the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations (from Marriam Webster dictionary).

Are you sure you want to discard your intelligence?

I'm not sure if this is applicable to this conversation or not, but based upon my personal experience lately of a combination of celibacy and meditation my desire to learn seems to have increased a lot. Also I feel like as I keep doing this my understanding of cultivation principles has improved. I suppose that is the reason monks do all that cultivation along side their studies, or at least part of the reason.

Actually, this makes loads of sense to me. Sex is probably the number one distraction for most men (myself included). Coupled with the focus one can gain from meditation, I'd say your mind would be thirsty to use its new found powers. I could never be celibate though. As I get older I have noticed I'm not as hormonally challenged as I once was. Could be why I feel a bit smarter.

are you sure you need to learn, or understand, or deal with new or trying situations?

I think this is a very worthwhile endeavor for the right person. There are many different approaches to spirituality and although this goal does have some materialistic characteristics, I think it has a lot of potential to improve one's life. I think that if it is pursued for the right reasons and not with unreal expectations it can have a profound effect on one's quality of life. We need intelligent people to point other's towards productive and effective solutions to worldly problems. It is unrealistic to expect the world to wake up spiritually tomorrow. I think pursuing the goal of obtaining great intelligence in an effort to help make the world a better place to live is a very admirable and necessary. It does appear that our resources are in some ways being tested and I think we need intelligent (or call it highly creative) people to help design solutions on how to best utilize them.

intelligence: the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations (from Marriam Webster dictionary).

Are you sure you want to discard your intelligence

It was already explained that new situations are of the low brain only. In reality there are no new situations, so you don't need to survive or adapt to any new conditions. So yes, I definitely do.

There are many different approaches to spirituality and although this goal does have some materialistic characteristics, I think it has a lot of potential to improve one's life.

Bodhisattva's only see 6 approaches to spirituality,...one of which would be the dissolution of knowledge.

"As soon as one sense-organ returns to the source, All the six are liberated." Avalokitesvara

"everything else is just shrouded furniture, quotidian anaesthesia, shit-for-brains, sub-reptilian ennui of totalitarian regimes, banal censorship & useless pain." Hakim Bey

This is a great thread.

Speaking only for myself, I became K-active about 8 years ago. Since then, there has been a noticeable difference in my brain-power; not the ability to remember things (in fact, I'm getting older and my memory is getting worse and worse). Although I don't want to reaffirm that so I probably shouldn't say that at all...

But the power to project out a line of thinking, into the stratosphere sometimes. This is a new ability; and the "sense" I get is that the lower back part of my brain is expanding outward, if that makes any sense at all. It doesn't feel like its new abilities are due to study in particular (although certainly that has to have been part of it) and it doesn't feel like the intelligence is coming from the front of the brain, as it normally would have from just book-learnin'.

No, it's something happening 'behind' me and it continues burrowing deeper and deeper, expanding greater and greater. It's as though there are triangles, perceived by me at some level I don't understand, that connect the essences of one subject to the next. This intelligence is capable of diminishing things to their essence and seeing how they compare to other things, showing what I know (gnow) to be the true alignment.

I do believe that meditation and learning the ability to still the mind is instrumenal in developing any ability or 'gift' such as the above. I do also believe the somehow te (virtue) is pertinent here too. The motives must be void of any individual drive to "see" - this wasn't an ability I sought out. Rather, it was a by-product of years of study and meditation; and in my particular case, my study was in the form of comparative religion study, an emphasis on metaphysical thought. Perhaps this is the reason I was finally rewarded by something a little out of the ordinary; an ability to see the essence of things.

I'm really not blowing smoke here. This is an ability i've never had before, and I have been a detective of one type or the other for 40 years. This is something different. I sure wish I had had this ability when I was doing criminal work.

Edited by manitou

But the power to project out a line of thinking, into the stratosphere sometimes. This is a new ability; and the "sense" I get is that the lower back part of my brain is expanding outward, if that makes any sense at all. It doesn't feel like its new abilities are due to study in particular (although certainly that has to have been part of it) and it doesn't feel like the intelligence is coming from the front of the brain, as it normally would have from just book-learnin'.

No, it's something happening 'behind' me and it continues burrowing deeper and deeper, expanding greater and greater. It's as though there are triangles, perceived by me at some level I don't understand, that connect the essences of one subject to the next. This intelligence is capable of diminishing things to their essence and seeing how they compare to other things, showing what I know (gnow) to be the true alignment.

I do believe that meditation and learning the ability to still the mind is instrumenal in developing any ability or 'gift' such as the above. I do also believe the somehow te (virtue) is pertinent here too. The motives must be void of any individual drive to "see" - this wasn't an ability I sought out. Rather, it was a by-product of years of study and meditation; and in my particular case, my study was in the form of comparative religion study, an emphasis on metaphysical thought. Perhaps this is the reason I was finally rewarded by something a little out of the ordinary; an ability to see the essence of things.

Yep, I know what you meant. It's like a new circuit inside your brain that you can ativate. It's like a co-processor, additional CPU.

Can you access to this function all the time or you have to activate it by meditation or other means?

I seem to be able to access it at will, but it takes few minutes to fully Be Here Now and get into 'tao mode', as I call it. Smoking a litle weed access it immediately, I can feel the structure in place.

I seem to be able to access it at will, but it takes few minutes to fully Be Here Now and get into 'tao mode', as I call it. Smoking a litle weed access it immediately, I can feel the structure in place.

Cool. Have you experimented with fully with it yet? I played around with it. It's very powerful and dangerous. I have a job that demand my brain power. I can't afford another mishap.

I understand that you're retired. And you have access to this function all the time. If the "circuit" you have is similar to what I had, you're sitting on a gold mine.

I believe this circuit can make prophecy come true. Well it's more like self-filling prophecy in some sense.

For example, you feed this circuit a statment like "I'm a good person", and activate it. It'd gether all the information and make smart associatiion to convince you that you're a good person. It's like a "dream creation machine". It can alter your sensory.

I got myself into trouble once I feed "I'm God" into the circuit. After serious interactions in a few days, I forgot that I started the chaine of thought. I was fooled by myself.

Be careful and have fun.

I got myself into trouble once I feed "I'm God" into the circuit. After serious interactions in a few days, I forgot that I started the chaine of thought. I was fooled by myself.

Edited by mYTHmAKER

But you are God. Everything everyone is created from the same - there is nothing that is not made of God.

Therefore how can you not be God? Feel it - know it - it is separate from ego. If you had fully understood you would not have come from ego.

If a cub behaves like a fully grown lion in front a pack of wild dogs, it'll get killed.

I doesn't really matter who or what I was, my thinking has to match what I can do in this world.

Try to tell your starving kids that you're God instead of putting food on the table, see how it goes.

Edited by hydrogen

If a cub behaves like a fully grown lion in front a pack of wild dogs, it'll get killed.

I doesn't really matter who or what I was, my thinking has to match what I can do in this world.

Try to tell your starving kids that you're God instead of putting food on the table, see how it goes.

The circumstances of life and death have nothing to do with the truth of who we are.

The circumstances of life and death have nothing to do with the truth of who we are.

Whatever circumstances we are in is the truth. Any fanciful thinking is false.

But you are God. Everything everyone is created from the same - there is nothing that is not made of God.

Therefore how can you not be God? Feel it - know it - it is separate from ego. If you had fully understood you would not have come from ego.

The wave is not separate from the ocean, but there still is an individual wave which has its own activities and processes.

To say 'I am suchness' is just as accurate as 'these skhandas are emenations of suchness', which is just as accurate as 'these skhandas are empty'.

Many layers of conventional and absolute truth, all 100% correct! Can you see how these three statements all actually point to the same thing from different angles, but not even all three can really capture the transcendental heart of the matter?

There are subtle but important nuances lost when we reduce the truth (or our concepts of it anyway...) to catchphrases we see going around now like 'we are all one' and 'there is only the now'.

This is why Hui-neng told his followers to answer questions about light by referring to darkness, questions about suchness by referring to emptiness, and so on.

Monk: "What is Buddha?"

Tozan: "This flax weighs three pounds."

Don't look for a meaning, and you might see it. :)

• Like 1

The wave is not separate from the ocean, but there still is an individual wave which has its own activities and processes.

To say 'I am suchness' is just as accurate as 'these skhandas are emenations of suchness', which is just as accurate as 'these skhandas are empty'.

Many layers of conventional and absolute truth, all 100% correct! Can you see how these three statements all actually point to the same thing from different angles, but not even all three can really capture the transcendental heart of the matter?

There are subtle but important nuances lost when we reduce the truth (or our concepts of it anyway...) to catchphrases we see going around now like 'we are all one' and 'there is only the now'.

This is why Hui-neng told his followers to answer questions about light by referring to darkness, questions about suchness by referring to emptiness, and so on.

Monk: "What is Buddha?"

Tozan: "This flax weighs three pounds."

Don't look for a meaning, and you might see it. :)

So are you agreeing or disagreeing with me or none of the above. :)

intellectual potential is 100% genetic. nothing you do can make you smarter, but you can do lots of things to make yourself dumber like banging ur head against the wall. so theres no secret to it other than being born smart. sorry to bust ur bubble lol

genetics is part of a relatively favorable birth - I mean, if you're born as an ape, your intellectual capacity is only so high. but no way is it a comprehensive explanation.

Recent studies have indicated that various traits ranging from height to IQ are 75%-80% genetically-determined.

A person's height, for example, is often estimated at 0.8, meaning that 80 percent of the differences in height among individuals in a specific population are due to differences in their genetic makeups.

When they looked at the data on twins' intelligence, Bouchard's team reached a controversial conclusion: For people raised in the same culture with the same opportunities, differences in IQ reflected largely differences in inheritance rather than in training or education. Using data from four different tests, they came up with a heritability score of 0.75 for intelligence, suggesting the strong influence of heredity. This ran counter to the prevailing belief of behaviorists that our brains were blank slates waiting to be inscribed by experience.

when it came to explaining why a particular group of children ended up with different IQ scores, 75 percent of the variation was due to genetics, not parenting.

One investigation, for example, found that an identical twin with a criminal co-twin was more than 1.5 times as likely to break the law as a fraternal twin in the same situation, suggesting that genetic factors somehow set the stage for criminal behavior.

"It's very clear when you look at twins that much of what they share is hardwired," she says. "Many things about them are absolutely the same and unalterable. But it's also clear, when you get to know them, that other things about them are different. Epigenetics is the origin of a lot of those differences, in my view."

"What I like to say is that Mother Nature writes some things in pencil and some things in pen," she says. "Things written in pen you can't change. That's DNA. But things written in pencil you can. That's epigenetics. Now that we're actually able to look at the DNA and see where the pencil writings are, it's sort of a whole new world."

So, according to conventional science, you could maximize your IQ with an optimal lifestyle and perhaps nootropics or special mindbody exercises - and possibly even boost your IQ 25% and go from a C to an A student..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugnUzq_pdgc

And further out on the fringe, a rarer few might even believe that you could naturally fix or improve your DNA programming to strengthen numerous weaknesses. But that would be the equivalent of restoring your prenatal jing...in short, a very advanced, alchemical task at the least!

I believe that if it's all programming, then it's all theoretically correctable. However, obviously hacking your OS is a lot harder than just surfing the web, lol..

Edited by vortex

So are you agreeing or disagreeing with me or none of the above. :)

I am saying you are right, in the sense that it is right to say that a car is an axle; and wrong, in the sense that it is wrong to say a car is an axle.

Back to intelligence - there are some good apps out there:

*Memory trainer, by Urbian.

*Mensa brain test, by Moshen Limited.

*Mind games, by Alexey Khripkov.

*Mind games, by Mindware Consulting Inc.

With these 4 you can really improve fluid intelligence, working memory and logic. They neglect creativity and stuff, but they're good at what they're designed for.

I am saying you are right, in the sense that it is right to say that a car is an axle; and wrong, in the sense that it is wrong to say a car is an axle.

My original statement had nothing to do with right and wrong.

For example if one were to meditate on who am i they might know this truth.

Thou art That.

It is an understanding of the heart.

Nothing to do with the mind or intellectual mind games.

I would never say the car is an axle, however, i might say the car the axle you and i are created from the same whatever one wishes to call it.

That there is nothing that is not created from whatever one wishes to call it. Therefore if we were to realize this in our hearts the world would be a different place.

Whatever circumstances we are in is the truth. Any fanciful thinking is false.

What does this mean?

I don't deny my own existence.

I don't know what kind of "God" power you have to make think you're "God".

The only power I have is to confirm my own existence. My birth is real, my dad and mom are real, my ex SO is real, my kids are real, every one and everything I've ever encountered, read, or heard are real. My life is true, my history is true, whatever I've got is true. Such Whatever circumstances I am in is the truth.

That's the only thing I have, nobody can take away from me.

Here we are trying to say the unsayable. ;) I agree, we are God, as it were. We are this Intelligence that seems to want to manifest in physical form and evolve into something that merges with its own concept (of Love, I am guessing). This is why in order to come to the conclusion that 'we are God' must be an internal process of realization of who we Really Are. This is done by concerning ourselves with our shortcomings, jealousies, unkindnesses, selfishnesses, pride, and our monkey mind. This is what we have to start with, once we experience the desire to step out of the illusion and seek the Real. It's upon us to change that, morph it, into the Real Thing. The Real Human Being. That's when the Incredible Intelligence is found within ourselves.

I believe the process is complete with the lower self and higher self are merged. Until then, we are all living in separate universes, each according to their own senses, their own perspective. And, somehow, we all seem to have that same thing inside that 'thinks it has the anwer'. Well, the truth is, that we do have the answer, but we have to do a lot of self-mining to find it. The internal 'Aha!' that forms the realization - that very thing that connects something we read from some Master in some book suddenly becomes alive within us because we suddenly see a direct connection of the Master's words with particular events in our lives. We start to think as a Master thinks. We start to act as a Master acts.

The intelligence that can be attained by use of phone applications, games, puzzles; these can certainly help our mind when it comes to logical thinking. That's important, and it's a left brain concept. There is a different type of intelligence that must be found as well - the inner intelligence, the connection to the One. I see this as more of a right brained phenomena, every bit as important as training the logic of the mind. The left brain alone, the studying, will never find it without the 'experience' of the knowledge as we attain it.

But the other side of that coin is to yin and yang to the other side too - to become capable of stilling the mind. This takes many years of work, I'm not aware of a shortcut on that one. It is from the place of stillness that true vision can occur. Inner vision combined with stillness of the mind (no thoughts) combined with Being Here Now - we can get into some serious creative thinking from that intersection.

Edited by manitou

Recent studies have indicated that various traits ranging from height to IQ are 75%-80% genetically-determined.

This is everything I didn't want to hear (about our IQ's being 80% genetically determined). Our minds are the substance of which we're made. We are mind. What is more, our intellects comprise most of our minds. Our intellects compose who we are; it is our Substance. Intellect is not a tool: it is not something we access--it's not a resource of which we are independent and upon which we draw. Moreover, it is not something that is inextricably bound to us. It is more than that--it IS us.

The particular thoughts we think throughout the day are produced based on our thinking habits, which are based on our IQs.

Even when we do something relatively mindless and nonintellectual--such as watching tv--the thoughts we think during that time are dependent on our intellects (and intelligent person and an average person are having VERY different experiences while sitting next to each other, watching the same tv show. The thoughts going through their respective heads are vastly different.)

These new studies which show such a high percentage of IQ being derived genetically is a bit unsettling. It is a very materialistic finding, and can be used as an argument against reincarnation.

From a reincarnationist perspective, IQ should be largely derived from thinking patterns, the latter of which are developed over multiple lifetimes--not dictated by the genes one is bequeathed with at conception.

Edited by Neophyte