joeblast

The Taoist's Herb Garden

I saw this post during a study break from my herbs book haha. I was glad to see a post like this cause herbs are one of the best ways to apply Tao to our lives. They pertain to the various elements, and yin and yang. They enter various channels and meridians and have various qualities of qi. Granted out of all the subjects at school this is probably one of the most difficult due to the large amount to memorize and the Chinese names, but they are so effective. Following Tao is following nature and what better way to follow nature than to use it in the form of herbs. :)

• Like 3

What herbs are good in the Pacific Northwest's fertile Willamette Valley? Well im sure just about all of them, but more specifically, for health, a good assortment for cultivation practices.

If i dont get kicked out, lose the last ounce of patience and walk out, i'll stick around hopefully long enough to start that garden out back...

I saw this post during a study break from my herbs book haha. I was glad to see a post like this cause herbs are one of the best ways to apply Tao to our lives. They pertain to the various elements, and yin and yang. They enter various channels and meridians and have various qualities of qi. Granted out of all the subjects at school this is probably one of the most difficult due to the large amount to memorize and the Chinese names, but they are so effective. Following Tao is following nature and what better way to follow nature than to use it in the form of herbs. :)

very good dmatwads, soon if you are diligent you may very well discover that combining a couple of very common herbs will open all the channels. its like wai dan or something. hehehe

very good dmatwads, soon if you are diligent you may very well discover that combining a couple of very common herbs will open all the channels. its like wai dan or something. hehehe

Yes TCM (excluding some qigong) is all about wai dan. It's meant to be accessible to the average lay person BUT can also be useful to the cultivator as well. I've already used several herbs to help along my cultivation in the past as well as acupuncture. Though I'm sort of at a point now that most of the time those don't so as much for me now as they used to.

Isn't there a place for mellow herbs in a herb garden?

Especially as that has a 3000 to 4000 year history in Chinese medical books, and indeed in books of many other people close to the Earth.

In Taoism, as long as anything is in moderation, that is within the Tao.

Idiotic Taoist

• Like 3

Isn't there a place for mellow herbs in a herb garden?

Especially as that has a 3000 to 4000 year history in Chinese medical books, and indeed in books of many other people close to the Earth.

In Taoism, as long as anything is in moderation, that is within the Tao.

Idiotic Taoist

Of course herbs like that have their place. There is a whole chapter of herbs the "calm the spirit".

Made my own rosé hip tea month or so ago. Will plant radishes, spinach and lettuce soon. Adding a patch of wheat grass this year which is supposed to be great for detox and even remove flouride from water. Need to decide what to put in bed next to sidewalk; people picked the cherry tomatoes I put there last year- which is what they were there for. Hoping raspberries and strawberries I put in last year come back and are productive.

Radishes, lettuce and spinach are far enough along to start making little salads. Picked first ripe strawberry yesterday and they are sending out lots of runners. Did cherry tomatoes in front flower bed and otherwise ornamentals. Planted other tomatoes, peppers and basil today (lazy and got nursery plants this year, was on vacation when I should have started them anyway). Cucumbers coming up where I planted them from seed, also planted zucchini, yellow squash, parsley and cilantro seeds today, lots of volunteer dill and sunflowers coming up. Did you know if you grow bamboo or any type of mint in your garden you should keep it a container, put some sort of barrier material around it or plant it in a place where you want a lot of it and not much else? Well over 80 degrees and sunny now, think I am done for the day. Time to sit on the porch and drink ice tea and not turn the air conditioning on. I rescued a bumblebee from plastic end of mulch bag she got caught up in and now she is peacefully buzzing around the peonies. Perhaps tomorrow I will put piece of wood trim thst blew off over the garage back up,I think the baby robins are out of the nest they built in there.

• Like 3

Can any one suggest any good TCM herb books?

Also, I remember visiting a TCM school once. The head master literally gave my brother dead snake heads to brew as a tea. I'm guessing there was some spiritual alchemy involved in that tincture since my brother was very ill.

• Like 1

I have "chinese natural cures" but it is a very broad book, I get lost in it half the time I open it :lol:

flowers are cool too, one mans marigolds are another man's calendula.

the peonies that zanshin mentioned, at one time was the ancient chinese national flower and called king of flowers

(there is a reason)

combing white/red peony with other herbs is common and can be used stand alone.

white peony, licorice, cinnamon and tumeric each day is one of the basic combinations i recommend to many.

• Like 1

interesting, I dont recall what color the peony out front is. wife's bro gave us one as housewarming gift, we planted it, it did ok then slumped a bit, had white on it like it wasnt fond of the soil or something, hurricane winds came along and buh bye peony...

...until this year, then it sprouted up four stalks instead of one, its got a half a dozen blossoms forming on it now :) I was prepared to move it until it seemingly came back with gusto :lol:

• Like 1

Peonies seem to attract ants. Read that borax is a natural ant remedy that is not toxic to people and pets. I sprinkled some borax and sugar on ant trails I saw in the house and they were gone after a day or 2.

My peonies are white.

Zerostao, how do you process the peonies for the combination you mentioned.

• Like 1

i make a tea from the root zanshin, and always trying any new herb, go in small doses to see how you react to it.

i am not tcm expert, and i do experiement on myself, fast and loose, but i think it is considered cold from tcm view

but i dont know of any negative interactions with any drugs, but, again, i aint a doctor.

i have seen this source listed here on ttb, its always good to do ones own homework too

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/peony.htm

• Like 1

i make a tea from the root zanshin, and always trying any new herb, go in small doses to see how you react to it.

i am not tcm expert, and i do experiement on myself, fast and loose, but i think it is considered cold from tcm view

but i dont know of any negative interactions with any drugs, but, again, i aint a doctor.

i have seen this source listed here on ttb, its always good to do ones own homework too

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/peony.htm

Thanks, bookmarked the link and will try to remember when I divide the plant since it's roots.

Nettles haha. Dry them out for nettle tea. Bit of fresh lemon in that when you have a cold and in two days you should be fully recovered