ralis

Canadian Tar Sands Mining/Keystone Pipeline

:lol: haha...now this one's funny and ironic - turns out that at this point in time, the USA is the only major industrialized nation in the world to have met its kyoto protocol goals to reduce CO2 emissions by 5.2% by 2012.

kyoto_met_1997-2012.png?w=640

only...we did it by economic decline, not by signing up and paying carbon tithes :lol:

The problem you fail to realize is that CO2 is still in the atmosphere and accumulating. That is a fact! Stop pretending that you know the science. You don't. I just don't understand your agenda and what you hope to accomplish.

Edited by ralis

In the near term, 15 to 20 years I think we'll be seeing a switch from coal and gasoline to natural gas for transportation and electricity. http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/e91ca04e-a11c-11e2-bae1-00144feabdc0.html

Natural gas is a mixed bag ofcourse, burns cleaner then coal, way cheaper to build plants then nuclear but it's gotten through Frackin. Like it or not, its cheap and probably inevitable. The best we can hope for is to keep funding and research for alternative non polluting sources available.

There's a letter on the bottom of the article I posted above. I thought it was thought provoking. Here it is, again this isn't me.

luctoretemergo | April 9 8:04pm |:

"Meanwhile, the US, which refused to sign the Kyoto Accord, has brought down its CO2 emissions to pre-1994 levels -the very goal of Kyoto- while Europe has reverted to burning coal to generate electricity. Coal imported from the US at rock bottom prices, brought about by the very bad shale gas revolution that the environmentalists are so strongly opposed to.... Any better example of the Law of Unintended Consequences, anyone?"

The Shell Oil owned pipeline burst was detected Friday by the US National Response Center and has dumped an estimated 30,000 gallons of oil into a waterway connected to the Gulf of Mexico (as if it needed any more oil dumped into it!).

http://earthfirstnews.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/another-oil-pipeline-spill-on-the-weekend-wheres-the-media-attention/

Like I told V.P. Al Gore in 2000 -- "It's all over Al."

haha.

So far this latest pipeline burst has received very little mainstream news coverage, likely because there has been so many spills lately (3 in the last week alone), that it is no longer considered “news.”

Linking to the Conservatism thread because that thread has spun majorly off-topic and the subsequent discussion Ralis is heading toward in it fits with this thread far better than it does with my original posted topic. Any further Global Weirding posts there I'll Cut and Merge into this one (so would encourage anyone wanting to address those Ralis posts on that topic well...it's easier to just post them here). Again...because it fits the whole theme of this thread far better.

Another post Ralis linked to can be found here.

:)

Linking to the Conservatism thread because that thread has spun majorly off-topic and the subsequent discussion Ralis is heading toward in it fits with this thread far better than it does with my original posted topic. Any further Global Weirding posts there I'll Cut and Merge into this one (so would encourage anyone wanting to address those Ralis posts on that topic well...it's easier to just post them here). Again...because it fits the whole theme of this thread far better.

Another post Ralis linked to can be found here.

:)

Didn't intend to derail the OP. Sorry about that.

Nah. Don't worry about it. Stuff like that happens all the time. It's cool. We just simply carry on with the Global stuff here and everybody still gets to carry on several interesting conversations. :)

Nah. Don't worry about it. Stuff like that happens all the time. It's cool. We just simply carry on with the Global stuff here and everybody still gets to carry on several interesting conversations. :)

When are you starting the authoritarian thread?

haha - so now the assertion changed....

"we cant let this oil be piped out"

'its going to be piped out anyway whether the us or china or whomever else buys it'

"umm....well, it would be SLOWER if done by other means, so this equates to the huge onslaught-rush of climate change slowing down some....um...0.0000000000253%....and that will save the planet"

:lol:

once again, the starting point, the givens, in the equation - all assume this huge coefficient and significant detriment all from CO2.

even though truck and rail have a substantially higher failure rate, that doesnt matter - its slower, therefore more "ecologically sound"

these people must be a bitch to play twister against :lol:

Found the following to be interesting...

Why Energy Experts Get Things Wrong so Often

I disagree with Lloyd's sentiment that peak oil is a complete fraud foisted onto the public by shadowy eco-banksters. However, I am not nearly as pessimistic as JMG that the world has lost all opportunity to make things better in the future energy-wise. The above article explains why. JMG is a bit too hedghog-ish imo which is why he discounts politics or household changes (he acknowledges them but then proceeds to explain why he discounts them) as going to have any significant effect in the future.

Edited by SereneBlue

When I told Vice Prez Al Gore that "it was over" in regards to oil - his family oil company was trying to illegally drill in a protected indigenous area of the Amazon with the tribe threatening to commit mass suicide.

The whole Western genocidal colonial infrastructure is so embedded in the modern mentality to be completely off the radar.

For example Minnesota relied on wild rice harvesting as the main crop but this was destroyed by the Western utility company putting in dams.

So no one even notices the lost wild rice lakes.

So the damage not only keeps piling up but the effects are nonlinear and inherently unpredictable - feeding off each other.

Nature can not be controlled.

The weather can not even be predicted accurately -- just after a few days out -- there can be a general estimate but no real precision.

Oil prices are controlled by speculative derivatives controlled by secret societies like the CIA, etc.

Rational control of Nature is the real issue here -- both the environmentalists and the right wing "extractors" are living the lie of thinking they can predict or manage Nature. haha.

Nature will take revenge and the lesson is very simple yet very radical. Don't mess with me. Life is a gift. Tread lightly.

More importantly a person needs to really merge with Nature to learn that Nature is in control -- this means vision quest, trance training, etc.

Zero population growth will happen.

• Like 1