Mal

Juice: Radical Taiji Energetics

Hi Dwai,

Thanks for jumping in!

I agree about Meredith's abbreviations. They don't have intuitive meaning the way regular words do. Even if he just chose different words, it would be easier than the acronyms. The guy speaks Japanese and Chinese, so maybe inventing a new language is easier for him than it is for the rest of us to pick it up. What I didn't like much at first is the manga/cartoon illustrations. When I read Meredith was sidelining the Juice sequel to finish a comic book on tai chi, I was bummed. But last night I realized that those cartoons carry a ton of info, "a picture being worth a thousand words," and pictures of chi being rather hard to get :-).... the manga illustrations really work! So now I'm really looking forward to his manga taichi comic book! Here's a sample manga image on his Sept blog:http://cattanga.typepad.com/tabby_cat_gamespace/2013/09/index.html

I'm so glad you commented on the deep tension triggering wild reactions. Do you also trigger those responses with light (energetic) touch? I'm actually wondering what "deep tension" means in this context. Meredith's a bit hunched (as are most of us, especially as we age), which looks like habitual contraction to me. Yet he claims he's eliminated most of his own deep tension. As a bodyworker, I tend to assume I know what he means by deep tension, but now I'm wondering if we're talking about the same thing. Is this deep tension something I would actually feel when I do deep tissue work? Or is it more an energetic/wiring thing? Most people can't just relax a deep habitual contraction, but some people with obvious postural contractions are able to release them fairly quickly on the table. I'm puzzled. Any comments?

Also, you write that in Temple Style tai chi, you store chi in the bone marrow. Where does Meredith store it? Isn't it just a continuous earth/niwan connection, the flow facilitated by continuously eliminating that deep tension (aka relaxing)? Is the difference battery storage/power vs. being continuously plugged in to the mains? Not clear on that bit, guess it's back to the book for me.

Again, thanks for joining in!

Hi Dwai,

Thanks for jumping in!

I agree about Meredith's abbreviations. They don't have intuitive meaning the way regular words do. Even if he just chose different words, it would be easier than the acronyms. The guy speaks Japanese and Chinese, so maybe inventing a new language is easier for him than it is for the rest of us to pick it up. What I didn't like much at first is the manga/cartoon illustrations. When I read Meredith was sidelining the Juice sequel to finish a comic book on tai chi, I was bummed. But last night I realized that those cartoons carry a ton of info, "a picture being worth a thousand words," and pictures of chi being rather hard to get :-).... the manga illustrations really work! So now I'm really looking forward to his manga taichi comic book! Here's a sample manga image on his Sept blog:http://cattanga.typepad.com/tabby_cat_gamespace/2013/09/index.html

I'm so glad you commented on the deep tension triggering wild reactions. Do you also trigger those responses with light (energetic) touch? I'm actually wondering what "deep tension" means in this context. Meredith's a bit hunched (as are most of us, especially as we age), which looks like habitual contraction to me. Yet he claims he's eliminated most of his own deep tension. As a bodyworker, I tend to assume I know what he means by deep tension, but now I'm wondering if we're talking about the same thing. Is this deep tension something I would actually feel when I do deep tissue work? Or is it more an energetic/wiring thing? Most people can't just relax a deep habitual contraction, but some people with obvious postural contractions are able to release them fairly quickly on the table. I'm puzzled. Any comments?

Also, you write that in Temple Style tai chi, you store chi in the bone marrow. Where does Meredith store it? Isn't it just a continuous earth/niwan connection, the flow facilitated by continuously eliminating that deep tension (aka relaxing)? Is the difference battery storage/power vs. being continuously plugged in to the mains? Not clear on that bit, guess it's back to the book for me.

Again, thanks for joining in!

Regarding deep tension --

I sense what he means...we carry a lot of emotional tension in our bodies and when taiji push hands is done with the intention of developing sensitivity (ting jing) and knowing (tong jing), we can sense this tension. It can be "locked" in a particular part of the body (as a chronic pain in one side of the back or a leg or an arm) or sometimes it is not even physical pain, it feels like a heavy/dense congestion of energy (eg: in the heart it could be from emotional trauma causing the energy to congest in the heart, or suppressing anger in the liver - an angry person's energy feels very different). When we do push hands we can sense these congestions sometimes.

I started feeling for this by sending my mind/intent (yi) into the other person's body, first through the skeletal structure (literally like seeing their skeleton) and then scanning their bodies in general. Later it is a sensing of where the energy is going (like feeling where it goes during single form practice). And a combination of all three (intuition at times, more palpable/tangible at others).

Regarding evoking reactions -- sometimes during push hands with my teacher I have experienced it. Sometimes a completely ilogical anger got triggered (doesn't happen any more) and luckily I had the sense and control to realize this (must be all the seated meditation I used to do) and stop myself from reacting badly.

Other more severe reactions I have seen/evoked/experienced during practice with another taiji brother.

Regarding energy:

I think he was speaking more from perspective of letting it develop naturally, whereas in Temple Style there is a way to kick start that process (raise the frequency of the energy so to speak) via condensing breathing and other seated and standing meditations (zhan zhuang).

We too suspend from the crown point. For some practices we start with the "third eye" initially and then it goes deeper to the niwan. But suspending from crown point helps keep us "light and limber" and a "floating" sensation (so we don't literally crush the ground we are standing on).

Edited by dwai
  • Like 1

Oh and BTW, I don't think there's anything wrong with his posture. Regarding comments made about his back foot lifting off from time to time, I think it's okay since he's not flapping his front foot (which says firmly grounded when needed).

Personally I don't know how useful the fixed step push hands is. I prefer a free-flowing and that's how we train. It is better to be able to move following the energy flow rather than try and move it around. When we practice push hands, we have two approaches (when we are "making chance" to apply one of the 8 energies). A yang approach (where we create the conditions under which these energies can be applied) as well as a Yin approach, where we just stick, follow and listen (to the energy). The applications automatically appear. The Yin approach is the Wu wei approach and my teacher prefers it. He often tells us - "just stick, be soft and follow and the forms will automatically appear/reveal themselves to you).

There is a lot of effort in the quest to becoming effortless. I feel that Meredith espouses that "effortlessness".

• Like 3

Oh and BTW, I don't think there's anything wrong with his posture. Regarding comments made about his back foot lifting off from time to time, I think it's okay since he's not flapping his front foot (which says firmly grounded when needed).

Personally I don't know how useful the fixed step push hands is. I prefer a free-flowing and that's how we train. It is better to be able to move following the energy flow rather than try and move it around. When we practice push hands, we have two approaches (when we are "making chance" to apply one of the 8 energies). A yang approach (where we create the conditions under which these energies can be applied) as well as a Yin approach, where we just stick, follow and listen (to the energy). The applications automatically appear. The Yin approach is the Wu wei approach and my teacher prefers it. He often tells us - "just stick, be soft and follow and the forms will automatically appear/reveal themselves to you).

There is a lot of effort in the quest to becoming effortless. I feel that Meredith espouses that "effortlessness".

Fixed step push hands is a stepping stone to moving push hands. First one has to learn the basics. Fixed is also good for grounding. My teacher also prefers the yin approach. He says it is a higher way.

Hi TzuJanLi,

Interesting comments, especially as seen from the perspective of a professional judge!

Meredith has quoted part of your post and responds (somewhat) on his blog:

http://cattanga.typepad.com/tabby_cat_gamespace/2013/08/index.html

A useful response, thanks for the link.

Personally I like the acronyms/abbreviations as they are a bit more meaningful/descriptive to what I feel. But that's probably because I don't really have a traditional taiji syntax. My teacher taught in English and described with his English translations. I always struggle to "label" what I'm feeling with the correct terminology :)

"The Song of Qi and Spirit Energy Deployment"

Scott translates a "very obscure, kind of minor-league and rarely printed Tai Chi Classic essay by [Chinese name] (1832 - 1892)" describing the origination and path of chi from feet to palms... Very much as Scott describes in the book! Except, as Scott says, A LOT shorter!

Fun post! Check it out.

http://cattanga.typepad.com/tabby_cat_gamespace/2013/10/index.html

(Scroll down to Oct 9.)

Edited by cheya
  • Like 1

Scott's on a roll! Two more great posts on tai chi energetics.

The Five Bows of Tai Chi: energetic vs. biomechanical analysis (Oct 15th)

"Let's You and Him Fight": issuing energy in push hands. (Oct 14th)

Original translation of Master Li Yaxuans Explanatory Notes on Push Hands

(Click through on his link for the expanded translation.)

• Like 2

Greetings..

Hi TzuJanLi,
Interesting comments, especially as seen from the perspective of a professional judge!

Meredith has quoted part of your post and responds (somewhat) on his blog:
http://cattanga.typepad.com/tabby_cat_gamespace/2013/08/index.html

I don't practice tai chi or push hands (knee challenges), but am very interested in the energy Meredith claims to be using. Since you have a professional eye and have seen the videos, I'm eager to hear your opinion on his claims and methods, especially if you have read the book, or at least know what he says about what he does.

Even if you haven't read the book, what do you think of his claim? He says he's using a very light touch to trigger his opponent's deep tension in a way that causes the OPPONENT to basically spring away from him. He says the response depends on how much deep tension the opponent harbors, and how much taiji energy he (Meredith) uses. He doesn't want anybody to get hurt, so he holds on to the opponent to keep him from flying off.

Meredith is not interested in strict form, and I understand him to be saying that tai chi is a tool for connection to your own internal energy, and that the prime directive in finding it is relaxation as you move. So he does claim to be very relaxed, at least in terms of his own "deep tension." From my bodyworker perspective, his posture is rather hunched, which looks like deep tension to me. But, non-taichi person that I am, none of these factors preclude his actually doing what he says. So I am interested in what you see. Can you say a little about what you are looking at/for when evaluating internal skill? Can it look like little internal skill from the outside and still be powerful from the opponent's experience?

Sure wish someone would jump in here who has actually pushed with Meredith so we could hear what it feels like....

PS Please, anyone, if I am mischaracterizing what Meredith says/claims, please jump in and set me straight!

Good for Meredith, he's selling stuff.. and, he's a good salesman.. but, from what is seen in the video, and as another skilled internal practitioner i can actually 'see' what is happening, it's like any other marketing video, staged.. and, even at that the evidence of internal skill is lacking..

I read the blog, why bother with theatrics.. show-up at an internationally sanctioned tournament win fixed, restricted, and moving-step push-hands competitions at the advanced level and that's that.. keep it simple.

Be well..

and, even at that the evidence of internal skill is lacking..

Ah but have you pushed with him? I have, and I am pretty good myself. His videos are not a set up and he is extremely skilled. His whole point is that that the structure is not a basis for criticism when looking at a video. Granted there is not much to go by then, but you just gotta go push with the guy. He is very friendly and open about meet ups in order to get a demonstration. You won't be disappointed.

• Like 3

Greetings..

and, even at that the evidence of internal skill is lacking..

Ah but have you pushed with him? I have, and I am pretty good myself. His videos are not a set up and he is extremely skilled. His whole point is that that the structure is not a basis for criticism when looking at a video. Granted there is not much to go by then, but you just gotta go push with the guy. He is very friendly and open about meet ups in order to get a demonstration. You won't be disappointed.

From the TABBY CAT Gamespace blog: "The key thing about this top level of fighter like Uchiyama is that they punch at actual openings that they see."..

If you 'see' an opening, then move, you are already too late.. if you see the door open then try to get in, you are already too late, you have to be there when the door opens.. you have to be there when the opening happens..

I welcome the opportunity to cross hands with anyone regardless of skill level.. i have learned as much from novices as from masters, maybe more.. i'm not disparaging Meredith, i'm relating what i observe to what i've experienced, and i've experienced internal skill that defies rational explanation by the casual observer, but.. i've also dedicated a significant portion of my Life/practice to evolving beyond the limitations of a casual observer, and i recognize the video explanation as inconsistent with the actuality.. the actuality is dependent on experience, lots of experience with lots of people, all willing to "invest in loss" so they can 'internalize' what actually happens as the interactive experience evolves..

As i stated in my prior post, there is ample opportunity to demonstrate the skills claimed at internationally sanctioned tournaments.. i've found that most tournaments have sessions where the judges and officials push and play with others, including the competitors.. being a judge includes being judged as qualified by the community we serve.. i've got a box full of shiny trinkets indicating proficiency as judged by others, and they mean little in comparison with the opportunity to experience pushing with people of acknowledged skill and whose intention is to defeat me.. the test is not with them, it is with myself, to test if i am willing to remain true to internal principles, win or lose, for the opportunity to go a little deeper into the exploration of Taiji's potential..

I doubt that i would be disappointed by pushing with Meredith, it would likely be great fun.. i might get tossed around, too.. but, that's not my interest anymore, i'm interested in real internal skill.. i would not be disappointed by getting my ass whipped by Cung Le, or Chris Hientzman, or Georges St. Pierre, i would learn something, but.. my interest is in evolving deep internal skills, not entertainment or embellishing my own image.. actually, Chris could be a good internal experience, too.. anyway, if the opportunity would make itself available i would be honored for Meredith to prove me wrong, i have no attachment to being 'right', honesty is so much more rewarding..

Taijiquan is not magic or elaborate explanations, it's Kung-Fu, hard work, and brutal self-honesty.. it's constant self-testing, refinement, and more self-testing.. it's the willingness to make mistakes so you can learn from them, the willingness to admit mistakes so you can examine them honestly.. it's the willingness to learn and develop two-person drills until you and different partners can do them at combat speed, it's the willingness to let go of winning so you can grow beyond that limitation.. it's the willingness to not tell/show someone how 'good' you are, but the compassion to let them discover their own potential through their experiences 'with' you..

How well i can push a person is little indication of my internal skill.. how well i can help another find their own way into the limitless wonders of Taijiquan, is an indication of my internal awareness.. skill is a fun game we play, when our mind is clear enough to 'get it', and.. the very best pushing skills are usually revealed by the spontaneous laughter as the players 'get it', as the 'hard work' becomes effortless, and the joy of the journey is revealed.. some of my greatest joy has been feeling someone else 'get it', feeling them launch me or knock the wind out of me with nearly no movement.. often, i am laying on my back and laughing at the brilliance that so effortlessly put me there, as my partner is laughing incredulously at the simplicity of what 'happened'.. i'm not not going to tell you how 'good' i think i am, or how much i think i know, but.. i'll invite you on a journey with the promise that both of us will grow..

Be well..

• Like 5

Good for Meredith, he's selling stuff.. and, he's a good salesman.. but, from what is seen in the video, and as another skilled internal practitioner i can actually 'see' what is happening, it's like any other marketing video, staged.. and, even at that the evidence of internal skill is lacking.. I read the blog, why bother with theatrics.. show-up at an internationally sanctioned tournament win

fixed, restricted, and moving-step push-hands competitions at the advanced level and that's that.. keep it simple.

... i'm not disparaging Meredith, i'm relating what i observe to what i've experienced, and i've experienced internal skill that defies rational explanation by the casual observer, but..

I doubt that i would be disappointed by pushing with Meredith, it would likely be great fun.. i might get tossed around, too.. but, that's not my interest anymore, i'm interested in real internal skill..

How well i can push a person is little indication of my internal skill..

how well i can help another find their own way into the limitless wonders of Taijiquan, is an indication of my internal awareness..

Well it seems to me that implying someone is just 'staging' something for the purpose of 'selling stuff', and stating that 'the evidence of internal skill is lacking', would be considered pretty much disparaging a person.

Your statement that 'how well you can push a person is little indication of your internal skill', may well be true for people at lower levels in tai chi, since people at lower levels in tai chi tend to mainly rely on stiff muscular force when pushing, which has nothing much to do with tai chi chuan internal skill. However, you have referred to yourself above as 'another skilled internal practitioner', so it would seem you view yourself as someone who is a more advanced tai chi practitioner. Now it is common knowledge that at higher levels in tai chi in which internal ability is employed, it is the person with the higher internal skill who can push their push hands partner around. A person who has developed little internal ability should not be able to push a person with greater internal skill around, but the person with greater internal skill should be able to fairly easily keep their push hands partner off balance and should be able to push their less accomplished partner around with little effort. Your implication that whether you can push someone around has little to do with your internal skill appears quite at odds with commonly accepted principles of tai chi chuan, unless you are suggesting that you are still at a fairly low level in tai chi and still rely mainly on stiff muscular force, so your push hands skill has little to do with internal abilitity? Otherwise, what you have said seems to make little sense. Also, internal skill is by definition internal, so it is not obvious to most anyone. The only way to reliably judge internal skill in tai chi chuan is to push hands with a person. Most experienced tai chi practitioners recognize this, so they wouldn't likely publicly comment on another person's internal skill in tai chi chuan without first at least pushing hands with that person. This would be a basic courtesy.

You talk about how internal skill to you is helping others to gain more understanding in tai chi and that sort of thing, but then imply that Mr. Meredith must take part in tournaments to really establish that he is legitimate? However, Scott Meredith has stated that he often meets up with people for friendly push hands exchange, which seems like he does a lot more than just talk on forums and disparage other's skills and do 'staged demos'. Why not simply email Scott Meredith and ask him if he would be willing to meet up with you somewhere at some point so you can do some friendly push hands, rather than making disparaging statements on a forum about his internal skill? Then after you push him around all over the place you can come back here and explain to us based on actual experience how poor his internal skill is. :)

Edited by Iskote
  • Like 3

Greetings..

Well it seems to me that implying someone is just 'staging' something for the purpose of 'selling stuff', and stating that 'the evidence of internal skill is lacking', would be considered pretty much disparaging a person.

Your statement that 'how well you can push a person is little indication of your internal skill', may well be true for people at lower levels in tai chi, since people at lower levels in tai chi tend to mainly rely on stiff muscular force when pushing, which has nothing much to do with tai chi chuan internal skill. However, you have referred to yourself above as 'another skilled internal practitioner', so it would seem you view yourself as someone who is a more advanced tai chi practitioner. Now it is common knowledge that at higher levels in tai chi in which internal ability is employed, it is the person with the higher internal skill who can push their push hands partner around. A person who has developed little internal ability should not be able to push a person with greater internal skill around, but the person with greater internal skill should be able to fairly easily keep their push hands partner off balance and should be able to push their less accomplished partner around with little effort. Your implication that whether you can push someone around has little to do with your internal skill appears quite at odds with commonly accepted principles of tai chi chuan, unless you are suggesting that you are still at a fairly low level in tai chi and still rely mainly on stiff muscular force, so your push hands skill has little to do with internal abilitity? Otherwise, what you have said seems to make little sense. Also, internal skill is by definition internal, so it is not obvious to most anyone. The only way to reliably judge internal skill in tai chi chuan is to push hands with a person. Most experienced tai chi practitioners recognize this, so they wouldn't likely publicly comment on another person's internal skill in tai chi chuan without first at least pushing hands with that person. This would be a basic courtesy.

You talk about how internal skill to you is helping others to gain more understanding in tai chi and that sort of thing, but then imply that Mr. Meredith must take part in tournaments to really establish that he is legitimate? However, Scott Meredith has stated that he often meets up with people for friendly push hands exchange, which seems like he does a lot more than just talk on forums and disparage other's skills and do 'staged demos'. Why not simply email Scott Meredith and ask him if he would be willing to meet up with you somewhere at some point so you can do some friendly push hands, rather than making disparaging statements on a forum about his internal skill? Then after you push him around all over the place you can come back here and explain to us based on actual experience how poor his internal skill is. :)

I didn't "imply that Mr. Meredith must take part in tournaments to really establish that he is legitimate", it is more acceptable than suspicious videos and talk, though.. i stated my observations and concerns about the video, and if someone's going to put themselves out there with a "but wait, i know what you're thinking", "let me slow it down", sales pitch, you really have to expect scrutiny..

I'm not interested traveling to make a point, and i've offered an easy way for Mr. Meredith to prove his point, publicly, compete with people interested in defeating him.. If Mr. Meredith is local or visiting my area, or if i'm in his area, i'd love to play.. but i'm not the one putting videos up and making claims that are not evident to the trained observer..

If Mr. Meredith cannot maintain his root, his connection to the ground, a simple and beginning entry into 'internal skills, while demonstrating his 'internal skill', scrutiny should be expected.. you've voiced your displeasure with my observations, and i've stated the obvious.. beyond this, i have no further interest..

Be well..

• Like 1

While I don't think it's possible to alay the endless issues that arise from on line discussion of video demonstrations ... this seems like a resonable attempt.

October 21, 2013

Anyway I thought I should announce a blanket response that covers the whole issue for all time. Here it is: anybody who is willing to state publicly over the net that my push vids are "staged" (or any other such cutesy synonym meaning "faked") and that I have little(-to-no) internal skills are invited to attend one (1) of my public training events (e.g. two such upcoming things are listed on my site right now) entirely free of charge and there they may engage in unchoreographed push hands practice with me until they have settled the issue to their and the other participants' full satisfaction. Not only free attendance, but I will make a donation in the person's name of the workshop fee amount to any charity they may designate and the official receipt for that donation will be emailed to them.

from

as they say ... "One touch and all is known"

• Like 1

He gave me furtive glances from time to time and seemed on the verge of laughing. His eyes were like two slits. When he looked at me he would open them a bit and the moistness of the corneas reflected the light of the lantern. It was as if he were using the light to create a mirror reflection. He played with it, shaking his head almost imperceptibly every time he focused his eyes on me. The effect was a fascinating quiver of light. I became aware of his maneuvers after he had executed them a couple of times. I was convinced that he was acting with a definite purpose in mind. I felt compelled to ask him about it.

"I have an ulterior reason," he said reassuringly. "I'm soothing you with my eyes. You don't seem to be getting more nervous, do you?"

I had to admit that I felt quite at ease. The steady flicker in his eyes was not menacing and it had not scared or annoyed me in any way.

"How do you soothe me with your eyes?" I asked. He repeated the imperceptible shake of his head. The corneas of his eyes were indeed reflecting the light of the kerosene lantern.

"Try to do it yourself," he said casually as he gave himself another serving of food. "You can soothe yourself." I tried to shake my head; my movements were awkward.

"You won't soothe yourself bobbing your head like that," he said and laughed. "You'll give yourself a headache instead. The secret is not in the head shake but in the feeling that comes to the eyes from the area below the stomach. This is what makes the head shake."

He rubbed his umbilical region.

- Castaneda

• Like 1

Was slightly interested in the book until I saw the vids.

If a "teacher" doesn't know, or doesn't have the skills to maintain structure, then anything he/she says is highly questionable in my opinion. The basics are the keys to any internal art. Putting a building on a shaky foundation is a recipe for disaster.

The connection to the ground is not something to be brushed over or dismissed as unimportant.

For those without good foundation training in Tai Chi or other internal arts you can try a little experiment and understand this through your own experience:

Walk up to a solid wall and face it in the same stance he is using. Get close to the wall.

Use both hands and "an" or push into the wall. Notice how you can relax and "root" the rebounding force (Newtons third law) down through your rear heal.

Now lift your rear heel and push. No power, no effortless rooting of the rebounding force. When pushing forward, the rear heel needs to have a strong connection to the ground.

After you play with that a little bit, and learn how to relax into it you can start to feel the rebounding force literally grounding out through the rear foot with no physical effort required.

Now lean forward and over extend a bit while sticking you butt out. No need for an explanation, you will feel for yourself why and how this is wrong.

There is a reason why the points on structural alignment are taught over and over again. They are not some silly "beginner" lessons to be passed over in the rush for advanced "internal" qi training. In fact, the correct structure is the cause for opening up the channels and allowing the body to fully relax under pressure so the "advanced" stages can be experienced.

Not saying there isn't something to be learned or gained from his book, just noting some big red flags that popped up in viewing his vids. If he hasn't learned or mastered these basics, then I have little faith in the rest of his teachings, but that's just me. He has some skills, and knowledge, but like all of us there are some things he has missed along the way.

It's becoming obvious that this thread is just about SEO and marketing. Getting as many links to the blog as you can. Why doesn't he/you come here and answer and discuss things in a straightforward way? We all know the answer, much better to make a post here with .......you guessed it, another link to the blog. We have seen this same pattern again and again, it's quite amazing the mods allow this kind of monkey business.

This guy really is full of himself. He can disregard all the classics and lineage teachings passed on from great masters. He has invented a new Tai Chi that doesn't require adherence to the techniques and principles of Tai Chi. I think with all his talk about not using physical force that he hasn't even viewed his own videos! Plenty of clear and obvious force being used. Where's the mysterious chi mind power? Why all the use of physical force and shoving?

I have never seen an accomplished master disregard the principles. In fact, they all stress the basics, again and again. Not one of them disregards the structure, in fact it's clear that maintaining structure is an important key once one crosses hands with accomplished practitioners. Once a persons structure is broken, they are easily defeated. I am reminded of this all the time in my own push hands training. In three decades of training, I have yet to see anyone with such a disregard for the basics have any success in push hands. This guy could be the one exception in the world, but I highly highly doubt it. Sure we can all be jedi's pushing against completely unskilled players, but the true masters effortlessly show us the flaws in our push hands.

Each and every one of the partners in his videos are also clearly missing Tai Chi training. This guys huge ego would be toned down immediately if he were to be video taped against a well trained Tai Chi practitioner.

It just goes to prove, that ANYONE can write a book. The ignorant masses may think it's great, but anyone who has invested any length of time and energy seeking out and training with great masters will see right through the shiny marketing.

Here we go with another repy on his blog and you guessed it, another link to the blog....... Hehe, notice how he won't link back to the Taobums. Just SEO and marketing games.

If Scott Meredith's videos are examples of poor push technique, could you provide video examples of good technique?

I really enjoyed Meredith's book and, even though I can't claim I've achieved the energetic 'ARC' he talks about, I think it makes sense theoretically. Aside from the energetics, I think his book is a really good, accessible, and practical guide to learning tai chi. The most memorable thing for me was the graphics. He's got some really good ones. My favorite was the one demonstrating how the body structure should be relaxed but not collapsed.

You can find that image here: http://cattanga.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c34a453ef017c32df4895970b-800wi

I would have included it directly in the post, but the forum would not agree to it.

There are many on the tube sites, not hard to find.

This guy seems to piss on structure completely. From what I understand he was saying he will post another marketing vid of him on his tip toes, or standing on one leg etc..... Absolutely no use trying to post vids and compare this nonsense to real Tai Chi. It's all just marketing and sales gimmicks and tricks.

Wouldn't be surprised if he comes out with some "no touch" knockouts or other such woo woo next.

Gaining real skill in Tai Chi, other internal arts or really anything else in life is all about time and effort. The gimmicks and tricks will only get you so far.

I have read this book recently.

The information has to be presented

to a lineage holder from

the traditions to prove the information

by example.

I would find it more awesome if someone can tip

toe win in Tui Shou with people with firm structures.

It means when he has the traditional structure, the other guy

would be really outclassed.

A piece of information of importance is

in the Tension Chapter about

the Trigger Effect.

One apply force on a deep tension and it unbalance

the person the force was applied on.

So I understand it.

It is suprisingly to find an author who share my view.

In my exercise with spontaneus movement,

stillness is causing movment.

In this state it caused as Scott Meredith said "Kriya"

in the inital states and if one go a onion level deeper,

which in his opinion is useless but in my opinion

has the use to remove the "extra trigger"

of unexpressed movement by surpressing emotion

which comes with the restriction of the "Embodiment"

of the emotion, as it hinders in my opinion the Relaxation

which is so important by Scott.

The force direction is distorted by the different "extra trigger"

from my point of view.

In the Kriya the forms are taken like a bow lastly fired.

With the result the bowmen can rest as the string goes back.

For many the Kriya are dynamic and will get less making

people believe their practise is lacking but it goes

to the static where the real structure is worked on.

The auto-re-callibration of the Tendons and Sinews

which are storing the memory how to apply force and move

unisono for a particular task is then more main.

Remember for example at the time where you believe

the package was full and from the memory

you know how heavy it was and for suprise nearly

send it flying because it was empty.

In the static the twist and bend -compared to the

ideal structure by the set rules gives the real

state of the body and the hints what needs

correction by time and effort with methods

or by auto-correction

When for example one "go into structure"

and the opponent can read that there is a natural twist

to the left, he need just to trigger this by something.

Since one twist left to compensate the twist

in the spine which is to twist right to become

ideal linear.

Then one theoretical only

need to make him release the compensation and

stack force unto the released movement.

The right twist let go and twist left and because

of the distance and acceleration of mass creates directed force.

Then one just need to make it twist more left by

adding force through push, pull, directing, deflect and voila....

have him make big move.

Next stage would be then the splitting into

energy based spontaneus movement

which require a lineage

who actually transferred energetics

and into the partner work of detecting more

tension as in Tui Shou.

The application of force and energy or simply

the association the body

cause a reaction of movement which is

mixture of tension and relaxation in

a specific order.

The association is like :

When you mum comes to and want to give

you a slap one has a instinctive move up (edit:you hands)

to cover ones face and duck deep while moving backward and hide.

(Some just close their eyes and tense up and await the slap to bear, depends on

character)

This reaction conflicts subconcious with martial arts going to the front

instead.One has two conflicting memories for the situation

and this needs a deletion of the one which is not needed.

Which is what I think "can" be goal in Tui Shou to trigger

and trigger over until nothing can be triggered.

Only maybe greater balance and relaxation.

Edited by Friend

Okay. Show me one.

You got to be kidding me. With all the vids surfacing of great masters you honestly can't find one? This is silly, posting real Tai Chi masters to be compared against someone who does push hands on his tip toes, or on one leg as cheap marketing stunts.

Start a new thread, lets share some examples of exceptional skill. I still find it unbelievable though that anyone would have difficulty finding them, even on the English sites like youtube, much less the treasures in the Chinese sites. It's honestly about as silly as claiming to do Tai Chi while pissing on the classics.