I can't answer your questions Cat. I know that to be serious all the time is boring after a little while. Some have more tolerance to boredom than do others. And then, some have less tolerance toward humor and silliness than do others.

Yes, self-moderation is good. But then, as we all are special and unique (different) there will be differences between the limits each individual member sets for themself.

Isn't it really up to the thread originator to guide the discussion in the direction they wish the discussion to go and to determine when it is time to joke around and it is time to remain serious about the discussion and speak to the thread's topic?

And then, as mentioned before on numerous occasions, there is always the "ignore" button.

It would really be disappointing to me if this board turned into something so structured that the members were afraid to say anything.

No threats or personal insults.

How far beyond this do we, and society in general, need to be limited and restricted? The answer to this, I think, remains with the board owner and the general membership.

I am still a Taoist although substantially modified. I love living spontaneously.

Now yes, my post above regarding the flowers was totally off-topic. This was intentional, you know. I wouldn't normally do something like that while a discussion was still on topic and the discussion was taking place honestly (no trolling).

But I will do my best to comply with the boards rules as long as I can feel I can be myself. If the restrictors become so demanding that I can no longer be my true self then I would have no reason to remain a member.

And as Lao Tzu said (paraphrased): The more laws a society has the more criminals that society will have.

Seconded

Should anyone in the future complain about why the Mods don't do their job I'll just refer them to this thread. The unanimous sentiment of 'leave us alone' in this thread is the reason a lot of the just-under-the-ToS-radar brawls go untouched.

Should anyone in the future complain about why the Mods don't do their job I'll just refer them to this thread. The unanimous sentiment of 'leave us alone' in this thread is the reason a lot of the just-under-the-ToS-radar brawls go untouched.

But we still love Y'all.

Actually...I think you're the only one left who does MB. ;)

Might that be because none of Y'all have never given me a warning about any of my posts? Hehehe.

Naw. There are a lot of members here who appreciate what Y'all do. It's just that we all want you to be on "our" side. Can't be on both sides at the same time. Oh well.

Might that be because none of Y'all have never given me a warning about any of my posts? Hehehe.

Naw. There are a lot of members here who appreciate what Y'all do. It's just that we all want you to be on "our" side. Can't be on both sides at the same time. Oh well.

Marbles without you I sometimes think this whole place would crumble and fall into the sea.

• Like 1

Marbles without you I sometimes think this whole place would crumble and fall into the sea.

Thanks but I remind you that this place existed for many years without me before I joined. And it will continue to do so without me whenever I have to leave. Sure, Y'all will likely miss my 'smart ass' comments but you'll get over that.

I enjoy being here with my friends and sometimes having serious discussions and othertimes just messing around.

I don't know where all my enemies have gone. Oh well.

• Like 1

There is a lack of incentive for people to self moderate, which is what drew me toward the idea of being able to up and down vote posts. Right now, if someone aggressively topic slide trolls threads it leaves the moderators in the position of having to review a potentially large amount of data to look for a trend and then issue a warning and deal with suspensions, and when the person comes back they may mind their Ps and Qs a bit more, but for all intents and purposes they are back at the same point as everyone else.

People can have nasty attitudes and deride the practices of others more or less without penalty if they are careful how they word their insults. There is basically the threat of ban for something sufficiently detrimental to the community, but no reward for those who really put in the time and effort to contribute something helpful to the other members. The likes are great for posts that are beneficial but don't necessarily require or benefit from a response. Adding the ability to up or down vote things gives a more balanced view though, because not everything that is not beneficial is neutral, a lot of stuff is destructive, and without engaging in arguments with the posters there is not a method for members to indicate feelings in that direction about a post at this time.

Great points, voting up and down was available when that feature was first turned on, and "Down" was disabled soon after :lol: As a forum open to anyone, with just the rule of "try not to insult each other" there is such a wide variety of what people want and like.

And while there is a lack of "incentive tokins" :) for people to self moderate, over time you do get pretty good idea of who you can have a discussion with, who you can't .... although that's a bit more dificult now with ease of name and avatar changes, I'm often looking up display name history to work out who I'm talking to :lol:

.... although that's a bit more dificult now with ease of name and avatar changes, I'm often looking up display name history to work out who I'm talking to :lol:

I don't bother with that. Pretty much, regarding anything I say, "if the shoe fits, wear it."

I agree that I wouldn't want this place to become really strict. A lot of cool ideas get brought up when someone goes slightly off topic.

But I'll admit, there are some people, who I like, who seem to come into every thread just to shoot the breeze. Suddenly it's just a back & forth that I have no interest in. I end up just ignoring threads that were about a topic I was interested in, once I see those people show up & start their back & forth.

It's not my forum, so whatever. But it's nice when people stay on topic.