Harmonious Emptiness

Changing Destiny, Liao Fan's Four Lessons

would changing ones destiny be ones destiny?

Well, I have been told once that it was my karma to not believe in karma. Same would go for destiny, wouldn't it?

One could therefore say that it was one's destiny to change one's destiny.

• Like 1

I'm still studying around the topic. Some things coming through:

- idea that foreknowledge is about atuning you to your destiny rather than changing it as such.

- knowing your starting conditions allows you to change them at the level they originate at (energetic) and not just 'manage' them once they have manifested (physical, events, capacities)

- energetic-level changes often act on the body before the mind

- outer changes (environmental) act on both the body and the mind (some are a bit more 'esoteric' but I haven't got a sense of those properly yet)

- lots of different forces are acting at all times. 'Man luck' (human luck) is only one. Interactions between them are to be carefully studied (gravity is apparently a form of 'karma')

- forces on the level that influence humans the most are discoverable and relatively predictable

- meditation and mindfulness contributes to changing energetic and manifest-level conditions

- pretty much every source I've come across mentions 'virtue'

• Like 1

My understanding is that what an astrological chart shows is Heaven's part of your destiny.

There are two levels of interpretation of what 'changing destiny' could mean:

(1) You can deal with it as you would do while playing cards. If you are good, you will take full advantage of the cards you are playing with. If you are bad at playing, you will do worse than the average player. Being good at playing means that, knowing what Heaven has in store for you, you can adapt by take counter-measures or taking full advantage by your own actions (Man luck) and also use Feng Shui (the Earth part of your destiny).

(2) You can also take the path of goodness and virtue (Liaofan's lessons are about that) , so that, by your actions you accumulate enough merits to override the negative/limitations of your chart because you are kind of 'nullifying' part of your negative karma. For that, you must have awakened your spirit, and live from there.

All these scenarii assume free will otherwise there is no destiny that could be changed, just absolute and blind fate.

All these scenarii assume free will otherwise there is no destiny that could be changed, just absolute and blind fate.

Ah! There's my free will. I was wondering where it was.

Yes, if one accepts the concept of destiny (or karma) one cannot suggest that they have any free will.

Ah! There's my free will. I was wondering where it was.

Yes, if one accepts the concept of destiny (or karma) one cannot suggest that they have any free will.

Actually karma doesn't negate free will. It only means that one has to endure the effects of one's actions. So it is very much about cause and effect. Conversely, if you don't want such or such effect you can act in a different way or refrain from acting. This is free will: cause and effect and the one who take full responsability for his actions because he can always do otherwise.

Actually karma doesn't negate free will. It only means that one has to endure the effects of one's actions. So it is very much about cause and effect. Conversely, if you don't want such or such effect you can act in a different way or refrain from acting. This is free will: cause and effect and the one who take full responsability for his actions because he can always do otherwise.

Yea!!! Another Buddhist who really understands! (Not really labelling you - just a nice opportunity for me to say what I said.)

Even to successfully navigate destiny or pursue virtue...

How would that be separate from ones destiny?

How does one come to that point?

I think if destiny exists it would be absolute...

Or one has absolute free will.

why is why...

I don't know

50/50 ?

Unless the only destiny is to reach / become the Absolute.

Like a flower being drawn toward the sun.

So this inner calling toward the sun can either be embraced or ignored... (but again what makes the difference?.... why would one embrace and another ignore)

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates

I think if your asking questions... you're half way there?

haha

:)

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

You said:

I think if your asking questions... you're half way there?

haha

:)

I said:

Yep. In many cases just the fact that one has been able to establish the question is enough. Some questions don't have a single definative answer.

(The quote function didn't work this time.)

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

Yea!!! Another Buddhist who really understands! (Not really labelling you - just a nice opportunity for me to say what I said.)

No problem with labelling me. :)

Buddhism is not just a religion where you are supposed to parrot others beliefs. It is the best way I found to describe and understand life without delusions.

• Like 2

I found the one by Master Jing Kong to be very down to earth and clear.

:-)

Thanks for the pdf Sati andLin for the recommendation. I had read the lessons before but this commentary really clears up ..... Well basically the "fixed" "variable" bits about destiny, that we seen to be discussing, in the 1st 100 pages :-)

• Like 2