Seeker of Wisdom

A review of AYP from an ex practitioner

Can you elaborate on what you feel are the dangers of the AYP program?

There are numerous threads here for which you should search in order to assuage your curiousity.

You'll also find lots of discussion about the dangers of the Advanced Yoga Practices system on the AYP forums under "overload" and "kundalini problems"

I haven't read anything or followed AYP,

i know that energy practices are for opening middle channel. In Taoism alchemy there is jing, chi and shen. In energywise there is left, right and middle channel.

Its advanged practice, it produces lots of hidden stuff come into surface at once. And you can speed up your progress by your own effort. You can save tens of years by couple days practice of advanged stuff(if you do them correctly).

Kundalini is real stuff, that means biological, you learn to get pass mental/thinking mind center in brain and abide in emptiness, or samadhi by little to no effort and can maintain it during whatever you do.

people get grazy even if they are put into closed room for couple days,

im not impressed why kundalini practices are said to be dangerous and not be dealt without teacher.

even if you move around, talk, emotion a lot it will stirr up your energies and these energies can cause sights and illusions, when you settle down and just stay in awareness then these energies will also settle as nothing happened.

Same way if you dissolve energetical block, the effects from it disappear too and energy will be released and also these will be sucked in.

energy practices evolve over time to natural as natural can be. Less time deluded by thinking mind and more time in awareness.

Guest Apkallu

I have been practicing AYP since January 2015.

My practice is now Asanas / Pranayama / DM / Samyama / Rest

Twice a day so 2 hours a day.

Well, I am fine.

Sometimes a little bit dizzy for a very short time as I am always overdoing things but some sports or daylife activities smooth things easily/quickly.

I have experienced so many things that I could not write it on one hundred pages.

But, I am clearly happier, energized (less sleep also)

I can feel the prana everytime I stretch myself.

The first two months were amazing.

I felt I could think much faster and with a clearer/more stable mind which has always been difficult for me being mentally hyperactive.

So, for the moment, I keep going.

This is so simple.

Not complicated at all (to understand, good practicing requires time).

No wordy ancient wisdom we do not understand a word

Straight to the point : A gradual set of spiritual Techniques anyone can understand.

I have read a little bit Daniel INGRAM: does he not reproach buddhism for lacking of all this ?

I do not have the same impression than you that so many AYP guys encounters kundalini issues.

And finally, I beg your pardon, but I feel the AYP seniors are more "zen" than you seem to be.

I am often amazed by their posts.

I hope I will also find such posts here.

Cordialement.

Ingram reproaches the bullshit and dogma which has built up in Buddhism, which obscures the straightforward techniques and results which lie at its heart. He criticises the religion, not the liberation technology... which Buddhism has in spades. :P

I still feel the methodology of AYP has limits in where it can go, and an above average risk of overload. For all the same reasons as in the OP.

However, in the two years since I started this thread and developed as a person and a cultivater, I've lost interest in trying to convince others. If anyone says they find AYP helpful, that is their path and may they enjoy all the fruits it has to offer for them.

However, in the two years since I started this thread and developed as a person and a cultivater, I've lost interest in trying to convince others. If anyone says they find AYP helpful, that is their path and may they enjoy all the fruits it has to offer for them.

Excellent point. We all find what we need at the time.

Also, of the old time AYP leaders and retreat teachers, all but one have moved on to other practices.

Guest Apkallu

What other practices did you do since then please as I am a bit lost in your website ?

What did you achieve that you were not achieving with AYP (except for being dizzy) ?

Any siddhis / capacities even though that is not the aim ?

Chi for Prana (same thing ?)

Better wellbeing ?

Do we have a comparative study between Yoga/Buddhism/Taoism or posts dedicated to this ?

Thank you.

Hi Apkallu,

In answer to all of your questions above.

Yes :)

Excellent point. We all find what we need at the time. Also, of the old time AYP leaders and retreat teachers, all but one have moved on to other practices.

That is very true. I don't even think he made his progress using AYP either so that is kinda funny.

As a kundalini syndrome "sufferer" I can vouch for some of the stuff in the opening post: I don't know how many yoga teachers I've talked to who don't know the qigong equivalent basics of grounding energy, such as the microcosmic orbit, or standing in stillness practices. They basically just told me to do barefoot walking, eat heavy meals etc. No functioning energy exercises..

I was hesitant to write this post concerning AYP but feel it's important. Of course it must be accepted that there are two sides to every story and anyone reading this should be aware of that and I urge them to research my posts on that site over the last 8 years and draw your own conclusions.

I resigned from moderating the AYP forum because I could no longer, with a clear confidence, continue to support something that has fallen closer to a cult, than a method of safely helping people. After over 8 years it's a huge disappointment to discover this to be the case. Anything which conflicts with Yogani and his methods is no longer tolerated-perhaps as others have said it really never was but I was blind to it. At the time threads such as this were started by those who had been singled out, I was urging open discussion with moderation-only if there were direct insults and other plain abuse-but found myself over ruled. There was, at the time, what I regarded as an unhealthy preoccupation with those who came to the TB forum and criticised AYP. I found that difficult to understand coming from those who claimed to have attained stillness, unconditional love and expanded consciousness.

I must issue a warning. Anyone thinking of following the AYP method should be aware of what is happening at that forum. It does not mean to say you should not try it, but with caution. I think it has merit, but it is not truly open-those who Support it seem to defend it blindly. Yogani is a self promoter-nothing wrong with that, but it shouldn't be confused with altruism. Yogani is building a business and I wish him well in his endeavours but he is not being honest-though I do not know if this is premeditated-and that needs to be exposed.

After several recent posts since my self imposed exile from moderator status, I found the same heavy handed attempts at moderation which have afflicted others who have posted here. It appears as an attempt to discourage discussion. Today I discovered this email in my inbox which I assume is either generated by Yogani or Christi ( who appears to be Yoganis UK lieutenant):

Hello karl.

You made a post in the Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality) forum entitled Mukti. A forum moderator has decided to reject your post for the following reason:

Sorry, we are no longer going to approve posts from you of this nature. They are not consistent with the AYP approach to self-inquiry, which is practicing and coming to one's own experience and interpretation of same.

Lecturing others on what their experience is supposed to be is not appropriate. This is the neo-advaita approach, and it is suggested that you find a more appropriate venue for that line of posting. The AYP forum is not the place.

Thank you.

If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected]

Edited by Karl
  • Like 2

Hi Karl,

Welcome.  There are a few of us here who have had such experiences with AYP.

Best,

Jeff