Sign in to follow this  
Maddie

Beginers experiences

I don't think there is a "buddhist" approach to meditating. What does that mean? Buddhism isn't a meditation technique!

What you are looking for is insight practice where you examine your thought and behavioral patterns and then investigate into their nature. Qi gong practice can be a great aid because your habits eventually affect your energy body and in sever cases the physical body as well. So releasing them through Qi Gong will bring forth things you will not want to see about yourself.

What usually happens here though, is when you don't confront these issues, they just go back in because the basic root of them is no uprooted. So you are just going around in circles where your bring forth the clogged energy, but then just put it back in there despite all the energy work you've done!

Insight practice at its core is examining your identity, after that the identity of the world. But don't worry about the latter. If you get one, the other will come naturally. And Buddhist meditation should NOT be some mild thing you do on a cushion to rest! Nooo. This is Westernized bullshit where people go to their weekly meditation class to calm themselves or something. Take a bath instead if you want to do that. It's much more efficient than focusing on the breath for an hour.

Insight meditation should be a hundred times more intensive than Qi Gong. Why? Imagine Qi Gong as cutting off the branches off a tree so you can see the root. Insight meditation is taking the whole tree and uprooting it. You are there to destroy everything that you are NOT. lol, and we all know how silly we become when the smallest things we consider to belong to ourselves, like items of clothing, go missing.

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

Wow, that sort of QiGong would not exactly having folk banging on the doors of the class to get in.

Most TaiChi players and QiGong cultivators round these parts come to class to keep supple, meet chums and catch up on the week's gossip.

It's like a river of varying depths, mouse can paddle in the shallows, elephant can dive into the deeps.

I like shallow.

If CT is a 'beginner' then I am several lifetimes back

But I would still kibbitz

the idea that meditating is going to change your attitude

make you behave gentler ,, I have reservations on that

The eightfold PATH (right speech right intention and so forth)

does seem like a thing which would force a person to deal with their

unhelpful paradigms

(as regards daily life ,)

whilst a meditation program might provide a lift underneath .

The reason why I say this is that in meditation as folks have

described to me , they tend to allow the regular and ideas

pass on , just show up and wander off back from whence they came

but then when not in meditation , these kinds of ideas , like where are my keys?

and I which Romney would just .....! are the ones one has to deal with.

They are now front and center.. whilst the underlying aspect of ones

existance is on the backburner.

:)

Stosh

Edited by Stosh

Do you dislike him, the person, or the image of him?

Its harder to understand when its the image we have of someone that causes issues.

Trick buddhist question;-)?

I do have to rule out 'the person' as I have never personally met Richard Gere. So it may be any number of things (including his image, things he has said, his acting technique, his hair, his face, that he reminds me of someone else I have met and didn't like). Anyway, seems I'm not inclined to like everyone, nor do I have to, do I?

• Like 1

Trick buddhist question;-)?

I do have to rule out 'the person' as I have never personally met Richard Gere. So it may be any number of things (including his image, things he has said, his acting technique, his hair, his face, that he reminds me of someone else I have met and didn't like). Anyway, seems I'm not inclined to like everyone, nor do I have to, do I?

Seems like a tough act to have to juggle picking out things/characteristics/imaginary stuff etc and sorting them/slotting them into various compartments, each with neat labels there to remind one what preferences ought one to have, or not.

You dont have to like everyone, no... especially when there's enough validity to the choice. What becomes a contingent matter for self-introspection is when preferred biases, not based on factual encounters but on imagined content, that eventually become habitual, knee-jerk tendencies that usually end up causing unnecessary loathing of self and of others.

Naturally, its easier to preach than to practice.

Back to the drawing board for me.

A dude once said to me, tongue in cheek...

'Boy, am I glad I thought that about THAT guy!'

Edited by Stosh

Sign in to follow this