skydog

Question on karma

There is a reason why it is called the Great Vehicle. Karma is not to be avoided in others and is not to be perpetuated in oneself.❤

Thanks, deci, that entire post was spot on.

Without a self, what are we? Really what are we? I think therefore I am. Self is tied to our recognition that we exist within this world, without that, what do we have?

The wordless awareness that is the source of our insight and spontaneity. You can have that awareness without any thinking.

I can say this with certainty: I am not what I think I am.

A collection of thoughts?

Maybe, but the person behind the thoughts is self evident by the fact that you are communicating with them, (or trying to) so seems a bit ridiculous to deny that they exist, to me that is just a position on the nihilism side of the middle way of the great vehicle.

If he doesn't have a self who are you talking to?

This is a good place from which to start. We relate to one another as if we were selves.

Stop worrying about your karma and begin worrying about how your actions effect others. Don't do things because they are moral or good, but rather view each action you take and how those actions help or harm others. Allow compassion to be your guiding force and you will never need to worry about sin or karma, because you will see that no human being is born with flaws, we are all born with the capacity for kindness or cruelty and only the lessons we learn in this life lead us towards one or the other.

I took this from Aaron's post because it sums up exactly what I have been taught by Buddhists about karma. LOL. I don't know where people get their experience of dharma from but it seems to me there's a lot of nonsense out there. Ah well we should all work it out fro ourselves of course ... jolly good show and all that.

This is a good place from which to start. We relate to one another as if we were selves.

Speak for your self! (Ha ha)

If he doesn't have a self who are you talking to?

my guess...

you are talking to yourself.

if you don't have a self also.

then there's just,

talking

with nothing being talked about.