DalTheJigsaw123

Marijuana Use Tied to Testicular Cancer Risk!

Young men who use marijuana have a higher risk of testicular cancer, a new study found.

The study of 455 Californian men found those who had smoked pot were twice as likely to have been diagnosed with testicular germ cell tumors, the most common form of testicular cancer in men younger than 35.

"Testicular cancer is on the rise," said study author Victoria Cortessis, assistant professor of preventive medicine at the University of Southern California's Keck School of Medicine in Los Angeles. "So we asked, 'What is it that young men are doing more frequently that could account for the increased risk?'"

Cortessis and colleagues used interviews to probe recreational drug use among 163 men diagnosed with testicular cancer and 292 healthy men of the same age, and found those who smoked marijuana had double the risk of testicular tumors compared with men who passed on grass. On top of that, their tumors tended to be faster-growing and tougher to treat.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/CancerPreventionAndTreatment/marijuana-tied-testicular-cancer-risk/story?id=17183711#.UE6W_Y1lTki

This is nonsense // propaganda from the establishment to scare people aware from a mind expanding plant.

Why such the heavy emphasis on this plant in particular?

Why not cocaine? or other synthetic drugs / or pharma drugs that kill 1000s + people every year.

Cannabis has actually been shown to cure ^_^

http://tiny.cc/wz9fkw

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air
  • Like 4

+ they have billions of $ at stake

They make more money from people being sick / dying than people being happy and healthy

If people at a vast scale came to the understanding that simple, good, wholesome food etc is all it takes to maintain health + cure they would be out of buSINess.

^^ which people are actually beginning to come to this understanding and moving away from the establishment... hence all the recent propaganda scaring / deceiving people

eg the Organic food is no different to GMO + crops using pesticides etc

The pursuit of the dollar over common decency is... enraging

Peace

250px-Sweet_Summer_Rainbow_Fruit_Salad.jpg

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food," Hippocrates 500BC odd

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

I still can't believe they're trying to sensationalize marijuana. Nobody at this point, I think, even cares about people who choose to smoke pot, aside from the government. If it was suddenly legalized nobody would even bat an eyelash, I don't think. The only people who care are in politics.

I mean, come on. This just in, cigarettes cause increased risk of lung cancer. Legal. Tobacco causes increased risk of mouth cancer. Legal. Alcohol abuse kills your liver. Legal. So, even if marijuana does cause increased risk of testicular cancer... that's no excuse to jail innocent college kids and hippies and ruin their lives. Why not outlaw all of those cancer causing foods they have in the supermarket, that they feed to children? Nothing but hypocrisy.

• Like 1

The actual study

Public relations article from Keck med school

The study also looked at cocaine, and found that it decreases the risk of these types of testicular cancer. Funny.

A good reason for a medical school to study this is that medical marijuana is a big issue. Knowing the true effects of it, both good and bad, is good for doctors. These types of studies are never really meant for public dissemination (I mean, try to decipher the actual published study's abstract...come on), or political debate about pot legalization.

Who knows why it's still illegal. The government could make a lot of money off of legalizing and taxing it. It's not like all of the pot smokers would suddenly be healed of all their conditions...I bet everyone would still go to the doctor and require help the same amount.

...Something really revolutionary is spiritual energetic practice.

Edited by turtle shell
  • Like 3

Ironically, smoking cigarettes is what cut his life short. And of course, those are legal despite killing many every year.

MJ may not be the demon right wingers make it out to be, indeed it's probably a benign medicine for some conditions, but putting smoke into fluffy white lungs isn't a good idea. I'd add (imo) heavy long term use is a very bad idea.

my 2 cents.

Edited by thelerner

MJ may not be the demon right wingers make it out to be, indeed it's probably a benign medicine for some conditions, but putting smoke into fluffy white lungs isn't a good idea. I'd add (imo) heavy long term use is a very bad idea.

my 2 cents.

I agree with you on the smoking part of it, but there are far more uses for it than just getting high. Hemp, the non-psychoactive part of the plant, can be used for myriad of things but yet is illegal to grow in the United States. Gee, I wonder why.

• Like 1

What's strange is that Marinol is totally legal and FDA approved, and has more (synthetic) psychoactive THC than regular weed. :blink::wacko:

• Like 1

1. That's a very small sample size, all from the same county in CA.

2. In California, weed is grown in large quantities AND is sprayed heavily with pesticide. I doubt any studies have been done on the effects of smoking pesticides.

3.the findings of a 100% increase are based on "ever use of marijuana". While there are certainly many exceptions, a lifestyle of Cannabis use is not always the healthiest over all and CAN BE linked to other poor lifestyle choices. Unfortunately some do not know moderation.

4. This study was done in 86-91, so why is it being presented as new information now? Could it be something that they just pull up every once in a while when the time is right (WA is on the verge of legalization at the moment). Maybe we will see the article titled "Marijuana use linked to Schizophrenia" pop up again. The one that then goes on to explain that it has been used to TREAT Schizophrenia. These "news" articles usually take 5 minutes to see through. Do most people make that effort?

Edited by oildrops
  • Like 2

Marijuana is an interesting plant. Animals rub wounds against it for the pain killing effect, but it seems to act as a 'freeze time' in the personal evolution time line for human beings. I have seen very very few exceptions.

It expands peoples minds {mildly} in the early days of smoking, there are flashes of insight, and mild psychic experiences, and it gets them thinking about the possibility of 'evolution' but that is all I have ever seen come of it. They spend a lot of time thinking about evolving, rambling on about conspiracy theories, and almost no time actually evolving.

The long term pot heads I know [round 20 years] are exactly the same as back then. they say the same stuff, wear the same clothes, do the same things, while the world around them changes and moves on... Time seems to have literally frozen on them.

I find it a sad and disturbing state of affairs.

• Like 4

Marijuana is an interesting plant. Animals rub wounds against it for the pain killing effect, but it seems to act as a 'freeze time' in the personal evolution time line for human beings. I have seen very very few exceptions.

It expands peoples minds {mildly} in the early days of smoking, there are flashes of insight, and mild psychic experiences, and it gets them thinking about the possibility of 'evolution' but that is all I have ever seen come of it. They spend a lot of time thinking about evolving, rambling on about conspiracy theories, and almost no time actually evolving.

The long term pot heads I know [round 20 years] are exactly the same as back then. they say the same stuff, wear the same clothes, do the same things, while the world around them changes and moves on... Time seems to have literally frozen on them.

Agree.

There was another recent report which has linked marijuana use to low IQ - see here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19372456

If you want to see what legalisation looks like, Amsterdam is a pretty good bench mark.

I think it's fair to say that it didn't really work as the city became a haven for drug tourists and in turn the criminal activity that (ironically) came with that.

You just describe 90% of the population haha

It is not my intent to either defend or demonize marijuana..... but in my experience, marijuana and serious cultivation don't mix... though there are posts from folk here who claim to have made a great deal of progress while meditating from within a cloud of smoke. Whose to say whats right and whats wrong when the drug affects us all so differently? Same thing about what path and what practices we choose to devote ourselves to... The only proper path is the one that resonates best with us.

... that said, there are plenty of extraordinarily successful and intelligent folk who are/were really vocal about their pot smoking (like Richard Branson and Carl Sagan) who clearly have not been hindered by the drug in their activities on this plane. I think what matters most is personal volition. You either have the drive/interest/energy to achieve and bring about certain ends or you don't. I'm familiar with plenty of people who are grossly stagnant in their activities and their movements who are not pot smokers.

keep it real, y'all.

balance.

Edited by balance.
  • Like 3

It is not my intent to either defend or demonize marijuana..... but in my experience, marijuana and serious cultivation don't mix... though there are posts from folk here who claim to have made a great deal of progress while meditating from within a cloud of smoke. Whose to say whats right and whats wrong when the drug affects us all so differently? Same thing about what path and what practices we choose to devote ourselves to... The only proper path is the one that resonates best with us.

... that said, there are plenty of extraordinarily successful and intelligent folk who are/were really vocal about their pot smoking (like Richard Branson and Carl Sagan) who clearly have not been hindered by the drug in their activities on this plane. I think what matters most is personal volition. You either have the drive/interest/energy to achieve and bring about certain ends or you don't. I'm familiar with plenty of people who are grossly stagnant in their activities and their movements who are not pot smokers.

keep it real, y'all.

balance.

I think cannabis is detrimental to meditation, qigong and cultivation. Much more than moderate alcohol use.

Why?

It clouds your vision and actually takes you away from reality.

Cannabis stays in your bloodstream for up to three months which is a long period of abstention to enter back to reality proper.

If you could become enlightened from smoking dope then I think we'd have a plentiful number of masters among us!

I've nothing against it of course but if I was a dope smoker who wanted to practice meditation and qigong, it'd be the first thing to go.

I think cannabis is detrimental to meditation, qigong and cultivation. Much more than moderate alcohol use.

Why?

It clouds your vision and actually takes you away from reality.

Cannabis stays in your bloodstream for up to three months which is a long period of abstention to enter back to reality proper.

If you could become enlightened from smoking dope then I think we'd have a plentiful number of masters among us!

I've nothing against it of course but if I was a dope smoker who wanted to practice meditation and qigong, it'd be the first thing to go.

Not sure that I said anything about marijuana helping my own practice?? Marijuana occludes--- clouds in front of the sun.

(ime)

Edited by balance.

Not sure that I said anything about marijuana helping my own practice?? Marijuana occludes--- clouds in front of the sun.

(ime)

Sorry was just a general comment, nothing personal.

Agree it's just clouds.

Reality is crisp and sober, for me at least...

How do you feel about real Shamans using Ayahuasca as way to have an enlightening experience, amongst other things? It's a mind alternating drug just like marijuana (both are grow naturally), but has been used for centuries by spiritual guides, healers, prophets, etc. To even make this drug requires I believe 3 plants from within the Amazon. You know how many different plants there are inside that jungle? Thousands. How did these people figure out that if you take these particular three plants and blend them together down to a liquid base, that you'll have some crazy psychedelic experience that changes you and the way you perceive the world? There's something to be said about this.

I don't advocate the abuse of drugs, but I am not so ignorant to the point where I can't see that other cultures embrace the use of drugs for spiritual cultivation and advancement. And have done so for thousands of years...

Edited by Celestial

How do you feel about real Shamans using Ayahuasca as way to have an enlightening experience, amongst other things? It's a mind alternating drug just like marijuana, but has been used for centuries by spiritual guides, healers, prophets, etc. To even make this drug requires I believe 3 plants from within the Amazon. You know how many different plants there are inside that jungle? Thousands. How did these people figure out that if you take these particular three plants and blend them together down to a liquid base that you'll have some crazy psychedelic experience that changes you and the way you perceive the world?

I don't advocate the abuse of drugs, but I am not so ignorant to the point where I can't see that other cultures embrace the use of drugs for spiritual cultivation and advancement. And have done so for thousands of years...

Noting against shamanistic use of drugs or cannabis. Each to their own.

But - there's a big difference between shamanic ingestion of psychedelics and recreational marijuana use - right?

I think the difference it this:

Shamans use plants and ritual to communicate with the spirit world. This is not for the shamans enjoyment nor is it something taken lightly. As far as I understand the rituals may only take place once every month or so when the conditions are right.

Compare this with the casual dope smoker who consumes cannabis as they would coca-cola or pizza.

BTW that's the second time you've accused me of being "ignorant" on this forum. What's up with that?

But - there's a big difference between shamanic ingestion of psychedelics and recreational marijuana use - right?

Shamans use plants and ritual to communicate with the spirit world. This is not for the shamans enjoyment nor is it something taken lightly. As far as I understand the rituals may only take place once every month or so when the conditions are right.

Compare this with the casual dope smoker who consumes cannabis as they would coca-cola or pizza with the intention of pleasing the user rather than communicating with the spirit world.

BTW that's the second time you've accused me of being "ignorant" on this forum. What's up with that?

Compare this with the casual dope smoker who consumes cannabis as they would coca-cola or pizza.

I agree. Which is why I said I don't advocate the "abuse" of drugs. But I wasn't talking about the casual dope smoker. Those types have done nothing but give marijuana a bad name to begin with. Marijuana - like tobacco - are used during certain spiritual rituals as well and have nothing to do with getting high for the sake of getting high. Moderation, as you already know, is key with everything.

The ignorant comment wasn't directly at you specifically. There's a lot of uninformed people everywhere who have bought into government propaganda when it comes to mind altering drugs. As a result of this, they have trouble forming an educated argument that doesn't involve pointing their finger at the stereotypical stoner as proof that drugs are bad.

I agree. Which is why I said I don't advocate the "abuse" of drugs. But I wasn't talking about the casual dope smoker. Those types have done nothing but give marijuana a bad name to begin with. Marijuana - like tobacco - are used during certain spiritual rituals as well and have nothing to do with getting high for the sake of getting high. Moderation, as you already know, is key with everything.

The ignorant comment wasn't directly at you specifically. There's a lot of uninformed people everywhere who have bought into government propaganda when it comes to mind altering drugs. As a result of this, they have trouble forming an educated argument that doesn't involve pointing their finger at the stereotypical stoner as proof that drugs are bad.

I've never really seen any 'government propaganda' about marijuana in my own country. We had a talk about drugs in general at school... once. That's about it.

I think people in Europe are actually relatively openminded about cannabis use in fact. It's not demonised. It's certainly not the centre of conspiracy or propaganda.

There have been been a lot of clinical studies which have demonstrated both good and bad consequences of marijuana use.

Surely it's very telling that when a seemingly innocent and non partisan study of marijuana use gets posted to this forum, it quickly becomes politicised with phrases such as 'government propaganda'.

And no one need to demonise it because it's been given a bad name by casual smokers who have reinforced the tin foil hat, tie die wearing stereotypes that might have been fashionable in the 60s and 70s but seem like an outdated cliche in todays world.

• Like 1