daojones

Taking a Trip to California

I'm going to LA for a wedding mid October and want to take advantage of the week or so I have in California.

I was wondering if any bums had ideas of cool stuff to do while I'm there - definitely looking to sample spiritual/energetic/sustainable food/nautre type of things that seem abundant in California. I also wanted to go to San Fran or even do some wilderness camping/hiking.

Would be amazing if anyone would be up for hanging out and doubly amazing if I could couchsurf/something along those lines (I don't need a place to stay, other than a hostel, but thought it could be fun).

Appreciate any input!

I haven't been there myself, but I think it'd be cool to check out California Tendai. They will let you stay there for a week completely for free, and check out what it's like...of course only if you're possibly interested in Tendai.

San Fran is great. Giant China town, we caught a few groups of early morning Tai chi players. The Golden Gate Bridge Park is beautiful; huge with great walking trails, there's a beautiful formal Japanese garden ($ to enter) that borders it. A few hours south is Big Sur, great hiking, old world forests, fantastic restaurants and great views from the death defying highway that runs by the ocean.

I haven't been there myself, but I think it'd be cool to check out California Tendai. They will let you stay there for a week completely for free, and check out what it's like...of course only if you're possibly interested in Tendai.

Cool, I found my life back up plan.

Mark Griffin! Definitely want to check him out. From what I read on here, I may not want to leave :)

That tendai place looks amazing! I'm not so sure about the ascetic component though. Will continue to research tendai.

Joshua tree might be a good place this time of year (cooling off) and pretty close to LA.

Hwy 1 (maybe 101 in CA) is a beautiful drive and passes through Big Sur (try to reserve a camp site in advance)

Early season snow storms might be starting up in the mountains this time of year, but a few calls to the park service will answer any questions about that.

Or course there is a lot to do in and around SF, but it is very densely populated

• Like 1