et-thoughts

Something about reincarnation...

Our atoms are not actually ours... Atoms are atoms and come and go ... Nutrients that come this way or go that way correspond to building blocks that arranged in a particular way help constitute and sustain our present being or just be stuff thats being carried from one place to another.

Yes, they aren't our atoms or us, for that is only pretend. Atoms don't own anything, they only interact or not. :)

I take it you have done some self-inquiry and concluded the absence of a soul or the absence of self?

What is absolute?

Edited by Informer

Life is inherently self perpetuating;

and new problems to solve will arise as surely as rain follows the sun.

A castle built upon a shore

just soggy sand and not much more

wave washed away

just as before

Maybe your post will enjoy a fresh incarnation

Stosh :)

Stosh,

The possible problems to solve and the possible solutions remains constant... the response I built like a castle upon a shore exists forevermore within a time and a space even if it be unseen by some before or after the castle was constructed. Yea maybe my post will enjoy a different incarnation who knows in a different time and space that message was not lost at all. BTW the possibilities be infinite ... just as the opportunities and other stuff... Water only the flowers that you want to cultivate in the sun...

Yes they are games, and what delineates games from work is that the consequences are indirect

It was suggested to me that The Taoist sage treats reality as a straw dog ,

and so, reality can be seen as a game too.

Some do not push, and some do not pull, and some do not know what to do.

It is a difficult game

and detatchment from the outcome is wise, to avoid loss

It is also wise to be personally invested

in the game one is playing to encourage gain.

This is how I see life in accordance with what can be learned from Tao.

regardless of what happens upon ones demise.

(I mean that all with a great deal of sincerity.)

Stosh

PS have a great weekend.

and if you want to chat more congenially in a wandering discussion

drop by my personal practice journal thing where it is too quiet :)

Today I saw your response for the first time... that sort of explains in part why it is too quiet :-)

I take it that "reality as a straw dog" means reality 'be in such a desperate situation as to resort to even the most unlikely means of salvation'

From the looks of things I would say that nobody actually knows for sure what to do...(and I include myself in that) when to push, when to pull, when to let it go, what to do (which includes what not to do)... detachment /separation from the outcomes to me means that regardless of what happens one certainly be enriched by it. (some could choose the other alternative and regardless of what happens they certainly loose ). Maybe the core conundrum of the reality game involves resolving the game to be played while playing it... and enjoying it. Why worry about what happens upon ones demise instead of focusing on what happens upon ones being?

K

the notion of Nature rules, nurture rules and some other rules is quite interesting.... body-mind-spirit interact with each other and which rules can be rather complex issue... Even in the virtual world we have hardware-software-wetware interacting with each other and which rules can be rather complex issue :-) I believe that its certainly possible (will be possible) to migrate consciousness from one body to another. We can assume that our body to be ours just as we can assume that our body has been loaned to us... our bodies are in a constant flux exchange: giving receiving transforming pulsating and more

I think you will never be sure, even you have personally face it or have gone through it. If there is a system at all, it could be very complicated. And as a single spirit, you simply walk through some of the many channels. There may not be an overview for you on how it works, its intricate hidden rules, exceptions and so on.

I think you will never be sure, even you have personally face it or have gone through it. If there is a system at all, it could be very complicated. And as a single spirit, you simply walk through some of the many channels. There may not be an overview for you on how it works, its intricate hidden rules, exceptions and so on.

(in what follows me refers to each and everyone: you-us-me )

Indeed! While its impossible for me to know it for sure, I can still know it for sure, thanks to it knowing it all... what is impossible for me to do, becomes possible for me to do thanks to knowing it and it knowing me. (consider rereading this statement replacing 'you' for 'me' or using "us" "one" "them")

Yes, sure, there may not be an overview for one on how it works, just as there may be!

besides with or without such overview or knowing how it actually works one can still work it out...

(in what follows me refers to each and everyone: you-us-me )

Indeed! While its impossible for me to know it for sure, I can still know it for sure, thanks to it knowing it all... what is impossible for me to do, becomes possible for me to do thanks to knowing it and it knowing me. (consider rereading this statement replacing 'you' for 'me' or using "us" "one" "them")

Yes, sure, there may not be an overview for one on how it works, just as there may be!

besides with or without such overview or knowing how it actually works one can still work it out...

• Like 1

Today I saw your response for the first time... that sort of explains in part why it is too quiet :-)

I take it that "reality as a straw dog" means reality 'be in such a desperate situation as to resort to even the most unlikely means of salvation'

From the looks of things I would say that nobody actually knows for sure what to do...(and I include myself in that) when to push, when to pull, when to let it go, what to do (which includes what not to do)... detachment /separation from the outcomes to me means that regardless of what happens one certainly be enriched by it. (some could choose the other alternative and regardless of what happens they certainly loose ). Maybe the core conundrum of the reality game involves resolving the game to be played while playing it... and enjoying it. Why worry about what happens upon ones demise instead of focusing on what happens upon ones being?

How does my post suggest why the other thing is too quiet?

That it is basically a complete surmise already with little doubt or other opening enticing follow up?(Well if that is the case ,,it is at least, not the only quiet one down there.)

Ive noticed folks posting around me, and wonder whats up with that

even when I have asked questions directly I dont get many responses

I may just stop sticking my neck out there and quit posting altogether ,

because I am thinking folks are wanting validation rather than interplay.

Oh well.

Yep, we all are muddling through,, and at the same time feel like our own view of things is special!:)

I had to look up the meaning of that straw dog thing myself, what I was told was ,that it relates to a sort of 'suspension of disbelief' about the reality we think we have around us, because we cant directly observe the universe. (the senses are faulty)

Stephen Hawking mentioned the idea last night,on his miniseries,

as if it was 'new' conclusion , but the idea is 2300 years old.:)

More than a few of the concepts could easily have been construed as Taoist but he never made mention of anybody but Europeans.

Several of his conclusions strike me as "SOFT" and not in the 'good' way.

Just curious , do you still see good vs bad as a workable paradigm? you havent discarded that conceptry in the process of crushing your ego?

Stosh

Edited by Stosh

Stosh,

My remark regarding it explaining 'it been to quite' was intended as a humorous punt... Personally I had had a bit of difficulty following certain threads here dew to 'not knowing how best to do it'. That aside I think that there is also a bit of avoiding certain interplay's because of stuff... I too feel like stopping sticking my neck out there to jointly explore certain issues... which causes individuals to be stumped, some individuals have already decided upon something without further interest on the subject matter. Somehow I ended up in these forums with the intent to share certain ideas and see what follows while working them out. I trust others here share the desire ...

As you said "Yep, we all are muddling through,, and at the same time feel like our own view of things is special!:)"

FWIIW 'suspension of disbelief' is impossible at most one can have believes that help us see stuff rather than prevent us from seeing stuff... The notion that we can be free from belief is a delusion which keep us from seeing the truth... The deceived believe they are free while enslaved in the delusion where as those bound to the truth know they are bound to the truth which sort of sets them free... we can directly observe the universe if what we think corresponds to what we have around us. A while back I had an interesting dialogue that lasted quite a bit. It was an interchange which lead me to suspend what I believed though it wasn't easy. The belief that I had to give up was the notion that there could exists identical copies of knowledge in separate minds. I believed that it was evidently impossible... something similar to the notion that its impossible to observe the universe directly... because we can only observe directly our thoughts... Eventually I realized that it was possible and gave up the belief I held...

Yes the senses are faulty still it is possible to twist the twisted just so that it ends up being straight... besides sometimes the twisted view is actually much better ... I am a bit against the idea of crushing the ego, negating the self and pro the idea of cultivating the ego and self. The process of unification needn't involve losing the singular uniqueness involved... I do still see bad vs good... Note that I actually reversed how you framed it... there is a reason for this... I hold its possible to know good by knowing good... that is that bad is not necessary... if taken to the extreme the bad are so bad that they do bad badly and end up doing good without knowing it nor wanting it...

oh for the record even though I may come across as closed minded know that I am rather open minded to dialogue about stuff... so do keep the interplay going... who knows we may discover enriching stuff for each and everyone

Stosh,

My remark regarding it explaining 'it been to quiet' was intended as a humorous punt...

I took it as a gentle joke, that I have a tendency to be obnoxious, and ,that I am not putting certain popular virtues on my personal list of things to enhance.

I tend to act like a bulldog on intellectual issues, I want to get it clear, clear as a bell, no confusing self contradictions,, etc and I figure I "tick folks off" ( actually I know I do!)

And so I wanted to know what it was that YOU meant, what were You seeing , that you would hint at, and maybe be giving me advice on.

Personally I had had a bit of difficulty following certain threads here dew to 'not knowing how best to do it'. That aside I think that there is also a bit of avoiding certain interplay's because of stuff...

There is an awful lot of that STUFF!

I too feel like stopping sticking my neck out there to jointly explore certain issues... which causes individuals to be stumped, some individuals have already decided upon something without further interest on the subject matter. Somehow I ended up in these forums with the intent to share certain ideas and see what follows while working them out. I trust others here share the desire ...

Yeah, I am divided about whether the intensity of the debate just draws me away from peace more than opening doors to it.

As you said "Yep, we all are muddling through,, and at the same time feel like our own view of things is special!:)"

FWIIW 'suspension of disbelief' is impossible at most one can have believes that help us see stuff rather than prevent us from seeing stuff... The notion that we can be free from belief is a delusion which keep us from seeing the truth... The deceived believe they are free while enslaved in the delusion where as those bound to the truth know they are bound to the truth which sort of sets them free... we can directly observe the universe if what we think corresponds to what we have around us. A while back I had an interesting dialogue that lasted quite a bit. It was an interchange which lead me to suspend what I believed though it wasn't easy. The belief that I had to give up was the notion that there could exists identical copies of knowledge in separate minds. I believed that it was evidently impossible... something similar to the notion that its impossible to observe the universe directly... because we can only observe directly our thoughts... Eventually I realized that it was possible and gave up the belief I held...

Sorry, I think we will have to agree to disagree on that, suspension of disbelief is a common phenomena, it is used when folks get involved in a book , play ,movie , and games etc,, they pretend the situation is real knowing it is not.

Yes the senses are faulty still it is possible to twist the twisted just so that it ends up being straight... besides sometimes the twisted view is actually much better ...

Yeah ,Ill agree ,as long as you will alllow that the twist to correct for distortion is in itself just a correction rather than a true direct view.

I am a bit against the idea of crushing the ego, negating the self and pro the idea of cultivating the ego and self. The process of unification needn't involve losing the singular uniqueness involved... I do still see bad vs good... Note that I actually reversed how you framed it... there is a reason for this... I hold its possible to know good by knowing good... that is that bad is not necessary... if taken to the extreme the bad are so bad that they do bad badly and end up doing good without knowing it nor wanting it...

Ok, I brought it up because this area is one in which I am seeing a lot of contradictions which may be inherent with the Daoist cannon or it could be due to confusion....Do you think you are a Taoist , I dont recall your declaration of any particular affiliation ?

oh for the record even though I may come across as closed minded know that I am rather open minded to dialogue about stuff... so do keep the interplay going... who knows we may discover enriching stuff for each and everyone

I dont care if folks are closed minded,as long as they think just like me :)

Gotta go goodnight.

Stosh

Edited by Stosh

Stosh,

How you took it stems from the stuff you be caring around... personally I am more interested in the issues than what the affiliations people have with the issues. I seek to be rather blunt and clear about the matter at hand and have little concern about who be right and who be wrong what matters to me is understanding what be the valid point and if I was wrong correct it. Though some folks just do not want to get into that... they prefer to walk away thinking what they think... sometimes even telling me that their close-mindedness is because of my close-mindedness...

As I said "I think that there is also a bit of avoiding certain interplay's because of stuff..." you said "There is an awful lot of that STUFF"! Yea for the time being it certainly seems that way... the consolation is that every step taken towards the goal gets us one step closer to it... and right now its the next step that counts... From what you said it seem to me that you want to learn how to dialogue intensely while keeping peace and opening doors to further the dialogue.

I am chuckling with what I am about to state next...

You seem to put forth the notion that 'suspension of disbelief' is possible, and yet when I claim that its impossible you respond...

"...we will have to agree to disagree on that, suspension of disbelief is a common phenomena..." if it such a common phenomena why didn't you just suspend your belief regarding this phenomena ? Here is a hint ... "They pretend the situation is real knowing it is not". I am chuckling because I know how difficult it is to suspend the belief... and how what you did supports what I said... thug you may choose do disagree :-)

I said "Yes the senses are faulty still it is possible to twist the twisted just so that it ends up being straight... besides sometimes the twisted view is actually much better" ...

What I intended was that its possible for the twisted perception of the twisted sense to result in a true direct view...

Like you I brought up certain issues because of contradictions which may be inherent with the beliefs... I have not declared any particular affiliation because to me the importance here and now centers on the beliefs on the table. I am prepared to dialogue about the beliefs and explain them... mine and others... seek to understand what they do... seems like a good exercise... who knows what one may learn...

have a good night/day

From what you said it seem to me that you want to learn how to dialogue intensely while keeping peace and opening doors to further the dialogue.

Yes,I am working to that end ,but it may be a 'fools errand', it takes two hands to clap. For the reason you gave earlier..

... they prefer to walk away thinking what they think... sometimes even telling me that their close-mindedness is because of my close-mindedness...

you said..

I am chuckling because I know how difficult it is to suspend the belief.

Oh, I think I am understanding the point you are making. That disbelief that the reality before ones eyes is hard to suspend . And I find your veiw on that very credible. I was referring to taking things lightly such as reading a bedtime story to a child they enjoy the story and react to events in it ,but understand it is just a story and so the reaction is not sincere.

People can take life with a great deal of seriousness, every event is some "big deal", others take it lightly they say to themselves , "I will not even remember this a year from now so I will take it lightly"

That second view seems normal to me, and wise.

Then there is the suspension of disbelief that appears is attributed to the Sage of Lao, I think maybe neither of us finds that credible. So maybe we do agree? :)

What I intended was that its possible for the twisted perception of the twisted sense to result in a true direct view...

Can you describe an example.. it is a bit vague.

I have not declared any particular affiliation because to me the importance here and now centers on the beliefs on the table

Ok, but that makes it a bit difficult for me to get a handle on what direction you are coming from, folks say things which do not seem to fit with the Taoist model as I think it is,

if they are Christian or Buddhist , then that difference is already explained, If they affiliate with Taoism then you can discuss why their opinions diverge from standard ,

and I can also learn what STANDARD is! (since it is probably not me)

At times I find myself in agreement with Gattito Vmarco Marblehead Dawei Yourself Stan Herman even ChiDragon, and at other times I am not sure whether they are saying something wise which I am not understanding because I dont understand their phraseology or if I am in fundamental dissagreement with the idea they are promoting. Since many folks here will not stand and parse the words, it is hard to find out!

Stosh

Edited by Stosh

At times I find myself in agreement with Gattito Vmarco Marblehead Dawei Yourself Stan Herman even ChiDragon, and at other times I am not sure whether they are saying something wise which I am not understanding because I dont understand their phraseology or if I am in fundamental dissagreement with the idea they are promoting. Since many folks here will not stand and parse the words, it is hard to find out!

Stosh

Feel free to ask for clarification from me Stosh.

I struggle with the written word; I'm much clearer in person (I hope :D).

(PM me if I don't respond within a reasonable time-frame :))

Stosh,

Isn't it curious how one word can predispose us to hold a certain stand on stuff rather than allow us to take a closer look to see the truth of the matter...In a way its like seeking the persona label that already explains and judges what will follow rather than taking an unbiased look. The sage said it, the peasant said it, that does not change the veracity of It--- what was said, what be true, the correspondence between the two that determines the actual veracity of it... I met many a man who judge the book by its cover, rather than its content... heck some judge the book by what they manage to see, rather than what it actually holds... the wise can see wisdom even in the simplest of peasants. "...get a handle on what direction you are coming from..." ...get a handle on what direction you are going towards... only makes sense when one be moving from place to place... and that distracts us from focusing on the present place we be at... besides where one is coming from, does not specify what one was doing there... just as where one ends up, does not specify the correctness (or incorrectness) of ones actions... One can end up in a bad place for the right reasons, say to do right there...

While indeed it takes two hands to clap, to fight or dance it only takes one... heck we could be dancing with someone who be fighting and each will distinguish the experience from what they chosen to do ... I, like you, come from the direction I been, and go towards the direction I am going, always being where I be. The sound of one hand clapping be the sound of one hand clapping ... If I respond with stumped blank stare: it may be because I know the answer, because I ignore it ... the true master will know to differentiate and distinguish the soundless stare...

Stories told have profound ramifications and insights, yes sometimes we take them lightly and even enjoy learning by playing them out... understanding that it is just a story does not make our reactions to be the less sincere... Oh the reaction to a bedtime-story can be as sincere as the reactions to life-stories. Indeed people can take life with all sort of attitudes depending on the particulars some attitudes are more appropriate...

I am wondering what you mean by "Then there is the suspension of disbelief that appears is attributed to the Sage of Lao"... please elaborate what you mean by it IF you consider it appropriate

Can you describe an example.. it is a bit vague.

Sure, I can say something using the wrong words you can hear wrongly what I said and you end up getting what I intended to say... and neither you nor I realize that there was anything wrong tacking place... you twisted what I twisted just so the results produce a direct view of that I indented to say. From our dialogues i hold that you believe its actually impossible for two beings to share identical understandings, that is identical copies of knowledge are impossible in separate minds... Now suspend that belief and see that its actually possible for identical copies of knowledge to exists in separate minds.

I can choose to embrace either belief:

1- identical copies of knowledge exist in separate minds,

2- identical copies of knowledge are impossible in separate minds

It was extremely difficult to accept the first belief as valid and give up the second belief...

I have not declared any particular affiliation because to me the importance here and now centers on the beliefs on the table

I would like to dialogue about the opinions divergence/convergence/transcendence by putting forth the individual notions and the standard to use, and jointly learning stuff... I am not sure how we can be sure if what we understand of what somebody else wrote corresponds with what they understand without asking them and they responding. First we need to validate if what we think they think corresponds to what they think then we can evaluate it... most of the time individuals think that what they think others think correspond to what the others think.... boy are they surprised when they actually take a look :-) to the reality that be...

Feel free to ask for clarification from me Stosh.

I struggle with the written word; I'm much clearer in person (I hope :D).

(PM me if I don't respond within a reasonable time-frame :))

Ok great, though I will prefer to just be patient, knowing that your attention is often otherwise occupied.

Stosh

Sure, I can say something using the wrong words you can hear wrongly what I said and you end up getting what I intended to say .you twisted what I twisted just so the results produce a direct view of that I indented to say.

Ahh,

I think I get your meaning here.

I knew what you meant, so I must have identical thinking regarding it.

That is a somewhat disputable conclusion.

Because,

We only needed to close in our thinking for me to have a good idea of what you meant.

I hear the word 'dragon' , I think of it by the european connotation

It is a horrible destructive beast, demonlike and threatening.

You hear the word 'dragon' ,and perhaps it is a symbol of fertility

rain ,good luck, sagacity etc..

But there are similarities between our dragons as well.

So some of our ideas about dragons are similar and some are not.

This is true of many words and concepts, the meanings of -what the words mean-

depends on our experiences and assciations we have regarding them.

I feel that these differences are enough to say that our knowlege is not identical.

But agree that some knowlege we each individually have could be 'essentially' the same.

I am wondering what you mean by "Then there is the suspension of disbelief that appears attributed to the Sage of Lao"... please elaborate what you mean by it IF you consider it appropriate

You seemed to indicate that full and complete suspension of disbelief was not a credible thing to do.

That the sheer power of our senses tends to overwhelm our ability to deny the presentation of reality they deliver.. but it seems that Lao-daoists believe that the Sage is capable of it long term.

I do not think that one CAN divorce themselves entirely of many of the subjective illusions that we have.

( I feel the Sage of Lao is a literary device developed to carry messages to a reader, not that it is a real possibility for folks to actually think and act like "The Sage". )

I can add more later , I need to get back to work.

Stosh

Stosh,

The absolute meaning of a word presented me with the opportunity to see subjective-objective reality at its core...

I hold to believe an objective reality ... things are what they are regardless of what someone claims... Though the meanings of words presented an interesting situation ... here the absolute meaning is indeterminate until someone determines it...

I think you thought to know what I meant... I realize that the notion of identical copies existing be somewhat disputable ... I can debate for or against this being the case... the point here isn't so much about debating it one way or the other ... the point centers on observing how difficult changing held beliefs can be... and this example is somewhat trivial...

You used the example of the word 'dragon'... The example I generally use involves 'dog' or 'rat' and when a little vulgarity is tolerated may even employ the word 'bitch' ... though any words may be employed to demonstrate that the absolute meaning of a word stems from its use. 'Drangon' could mean anything we want... the meanings of -what the words mean- depend on their singular particular use. We usually project our own experiences and associations regarding them rather than validating if what we think it means corresponds to what it actually means. Sometimes the important meaning to consider centers on what was intended, sometimes the important meaning to consider centers on what was perceived, sometimes the important meaning is elsewhere...

Looking at the similarities between our dragons as well as the differences may be entertaining and enriching for 'some of our ideas about dragons are similar and some are not' still it may distract us from getting to the real meaning of the word. What I you others feel may also help or hinder our knowledge and understanding.

Evidently we can find evidence to prove either position if we wanted too... still sometimes its impossible to prove the truth but that does not change the veracity of the truth... Say someone is a murderer because they did kill somebody... the fact that they are not legally declared a murderer doesn't change the fact they are a murderer... even the fact that they are legally declared 'innocent' doesn't change the fact they are what they are...

I said:

I am wondering what you mean by "Then there is the suspension of disbelief that appears attributed to the Sage of Lao"... please elaborate what you mean by it IF you consider it appropriate

You response"

You seemed to indicate that full and complete suspension of disbelief was not a credible thing to do.

That the sheer power of our senses tends to overwhelm our ability to deny the presentation of reality they deliver.. but it seems that Lao-daoists believe that the Sage is capable of it long term.

I do not think that one CAN divorce themselves entirely of many of the subjective illusions that we have.

( I feel the Sage of Lao is a literary device developed to carry messages to a reader, not that it is a real possibility for folks to actually think and act like "The Sage". )

I can add more later , I need to get back to work"

I would say that the sheer power of our beliefs (disbeliefs) tends to overwhelm distort the reality we experience ... when we change everything changes... though in reality stuff may still be the same stuff...

I too will need to moderate my participation here... I enjoy them quite a bit though will have to find the proper balance :-)

I would say that the sheer power of our beliefs (disbeliefs) tends to overwhelm distort the reality we experience ... when we change everything changes... though in reality stuff may still be the same stuff...

I too will need to moderate my participation here... I enjoy them quite a bit though will have to find the proper balance :-)

Again, I would say we are in close agreement.

But I would add that there is already a guide that folks can use to apply shared definitions.

It is called a dictionary :)

And other terms have common accepted meanings ex. murder has a legal definion. (in this country a person must be found guilty of it in a court of law, otherwise words such as perpetrator, defendant, killer are more appropriate)

Consider Nikolai, he could have the meanings of the words objective and subjective backwards,

and then would only require a glance at a dictionary to clarify himself,,

or he really thinks that the backward view is correct. :) I dont know which it is in reality.

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

I have many possible responses

It sounds like a regular hand clap, but you cannot hear it.

It sounds like the absence of a hand clapping , quiet.

It sounds like a swish of air.

It sounds like a finger snap

The question is mu, makes no sense.

Who cares what it sounds like?, it will never happen.

I couldnt describe it to you ,what it sounds like ,even if I could hear it.

( because sounds are so subjective)

It sounds like a bell,(you can't disprove it)

The master would not know which response I had behind the blank stare.

Edited by Stosh

I think I will read in the morning and write in the afternoon.

It will help me to avoid posting back about things like

the guy who scratches himself to pee.

Stosh

Edited by Stosh

Stosh

Indeed I too would say we are in close agreement... though to know the meaning of a word we need to check with the user use, rather than speculate using wouckeepokee ... educated guesses at what the words mean based on an arraignment that may not even contain the actual meaning. Of course the checking with the user assumes stuff like the user will actually tell us what the words mean... which in practice may lead us into the wrong direction... BTW have you ever wonder why you go to a diction -ary to look up meanings rather than sounds?

I realize that some words have 'legal' definitions and that some users abuse words to seek and make a point... and we are not even getting into reading between the lines or considering ironic statements that state the opposite of the 'literal meaning'...

BTW if someone really thinks that the backward view is correct they will look at you stingily for point to them the error... I know for I have done it quite a bit... Sometimes I think one thing say something else thinking I said what I think and find it puzzling how others just do not get it straight what I think and they even have the nerve to tell me that it was my fault... Dyslexia can be so much fun... One can think one word write another and read the original word one thought... unable to figure out that there is an error ...

I realize that it would be difficult for anyone to know if the blank stare response reflected understanding wisdom or the opposite...

I sort of wanted to make a joke of it while making a point... for a true master would know one from the other... intellectual humor that I hope others would get...

I think I will read in the morning and write in the afternoon.

It will help me to avoid posting back about things like

the guy who scratches himself to pee.

Stosh

What are you talking about? do I need to know about that guy?

What are you talking about? do I need to know about that guy?

It was just another thread, to which my initial reaction would have been something sarcastic

In thinking first responding later, I will help myself edit out unwarranted posts rather than instinctively jumping to a response that isnt really what I need to be saying.

Stosh

It was just another thread, to which my initial reaction would have been something sarcastic

In thinking first responding later, I will help myself edit out unwarranted posts rather than instinctively jumping to a response that isnt really what I need to be saying.

Stosh

FWIIW, I used to think that being sarcastic was funny until someone told me that sarcasm is a hidden aggression... so I gave up with the aggression and found other ways to be funny :-)

FWIIW, I used to think that being sarcastic was funny until someone told me that sarcasm is a hidden aggression... so I gave up with the aggression and found other ways to be funny :-)

I can see that point , yeah I can be aggressive at times

, I never paid it much attention

because I am not hostile,, seriously!

Heck! I always considered myself one of the most easy going gentle natured people I knew!

Folks who know me ,have laughed ,and informed me, it wasnt the case.

I still find it hard to believe, but I guess it is so.

Lately I try to leave funny stuff- for other folks to come up with.

Someone usually supplies it, and I get to enjoy it too.

But even when it doesnt show up, nothing much is lost.

Humor sits at the border of what we consider correct and incorrect

right and wrong

proper and improper.

Sensing the truth of both simultaneously , we laugh.

I picked up a new copy of the TTC by Hua Ching ni,and was reading it last night.

Somehow everything looks different this time.

Stosh

I can see that point , yeah I can be aggressive at times

, I never paid it much attention

because I am not hostile,, seriously!

Heck! I always considered myself one of the most easy going gentle natured people I knew!

Folks who know me ,have laughed ,and informed me, it wasnt the case.

I still find it hard to believe, but I guess it is so.

Lately I try to leave funny stuff- for other folks to come up with.

Someone usually supplies it, and I get to enjoy it too.

But even when it doesnt show up, nothing much is lost.

Humor sits at the border of what we consider correct and incorrect

right and wrong

proper and improper.

Sensing the truth of both simultaneously , we laugh.

I picked up a new copy of the TTC by Hua Ching ni,and was reading it last night.

Somehow everything looks different this time.

Stosh

I too "always considered myself one of the most easy going gentle natured people I knew" and just could not understand why other did not appreciate it and would seek to take advantage of the genteelness... The best answer I have found comes from a five year old... during those early school years where bitting, hitting shoving buddies is quite common a concerned father of 'Joe' asked 'bill': "why do you fight with my son Joe all the time"? Bill responded "because joe wants to!" Bill would rather play than fight though will play to fight and win the game if thats what the others wanted to play... Soon everyone learned to just play nice games with Bill... I usually resort to jujitsu dance metaphor, the gentle art of directing energy blows while making them caresses... In principle its quite easy, in practice it takes a bit of practice :-) Being aware of what be going on helps us to choose what step to take next... glad what I sent you helped see something anew...