Protector

Sinfest Goes To White Castle

11 members have voted

1. 1. Painful Nei Gong

• OH YES!
    • No, I don't like painful things and would like to keep them out of my qi gong
    • Horse stance everyday

There already was a pain thread, I don't remember how that ended but pain doesn't fit into pleasurable category with many people. How about it being part of your training?

There's a lot of qi gong being used to relieve stress and used as something that's pleasurable and a nice thing to do for health.

How about some painful nei gong that's not so nice? Would you keep doing it? What do you think about it?

Edited by Sinfest

There already was a pain thread, I don't remember how that ended but pain doesn't fit into pleasurable category with many people. How about it being part of your training?

There's a lot of qi gong being used to relieve stress and used as something that's pleasurable and a nice thing to do for health.

How about some painful nei gong that's not so nice? Would you keep doing it? What do you think about it?

"No pain no gain" is antithetical to Qi cultivation. Self-mutilation, self-flagellation etc are bad for your Qi...

Qi cultivation should be effortless and pain-free. Pain prevents and impairs ability to feel Qi flow...Qi cultivation can only take off once Pain is reduced greatly/eliminated and Qi sensitivity is developed.

Hmmmm weird, I heart it's the other way around

The pleasurable feelings that the body feels come from chemicals that it produces and the longer they interact with the nervous system, the less sensitive it becomes, that's why drug addicts sometimes do crazy things like injecting drugs right into their eyeballs.

But with pain it's also hard to get a right feeling for chi. While pleasure weakens the system itself, pain is like a current that goes through it and takes up all the space that would be used by other kinds of chi. Kinda like a plug, it could leave blockages or blockages could be caused by what causes pain in the first place. The right kinda of pain is needed.

Not a big pro on pain, just been told many reasons why I shouldn't stop doing the horse stance :lol:

Edited by Sinfest

There is a fine line between pleasure and pain. I just watched a show where a woman is constantly on the verge of orgasm, and can have one at any time. She thinks it as a curse, losing all feelings of intimacy and pleasure with the experience, and considers it torture.

If eating chocolate is pleasurable to you, see how you like it if all you can eat is chocolate for a week.

Pain is the brains signal that something is wrong and needs attention. This is not to be confused with discomfort, which is a fact of life. The more you desensitize yourself to discomfort, the happier you will be.

Right, the longer you feel pleasure, the least pleasurable it gets

longer you feel pain, the worse it gets

pleasure and pain apparently originate from the same area of the brain... i think there is a key in there somewhere

I think physical pain is easier to endure than emotional pain. That's why people can't stay in the moment and resort to distractions.

I think the brain reaches some sort of "pleasure peak" naturally and numbs out, at which point i think you will continue to feel pleasure, but the sensation will no longer rise beyond the said level, which means you will note experience anything "new". Then as the high retracts from it's peak your appetite for pleasure increases or is restored proportionally.

I think this goes for every experience of the senses. We have the capacity to experience a quantity of emotion equal to our lack of it.

I could be wrong, but that's how i see it. I guess this is the "bored" program in the brain, that keeps us looking and wanting more than what we have. The moment we begin to leave the center of stimulation we generate a desire for it equal to the distance from it's high.

I would say, that the more you feel pain the less painful it becomes.

Edited by effilang

I would say, that the more you feel pain the less painful it becomes.

Horse stance must be so easy for you :lol:

There can be good pain as natural part of your progress, there is also bad pain in which your body is telling you NO as you are harming yourself.

If you are regularly causing yourself pain, i would stongly advise you to honestly look at what your doing and if it is helpful.

I think it's good, but you have to ease into it and do it slow, not to extreme pain. Horse stance hurts, full lotus hurts, barefoot running hurts. The whole cycle of doing what you can and then continually later getting back up to do it again and gradually more and better, yeah it hurts, but quitting hurts more.

By the way, Does tummo hurt? I know a similar meditation that creates heat but it can't be done outdoors and it uses muscles and right breath and it's kinda painful

Speaking of breath, reverse breathing is kinda painful too, isn't it?

thought of you on wednesday sinfest at hot topic they sell a my little pony belt.