Taomeow

Do you get catastrophe dreams?

Do you dream of tsunamis, earthquakes, fires, wars, end of the world as we know it?..  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get catastrophe dreams?

• Never
    • Once or twice I had them
    • I get them regularly
    • I never used to, but recently I started getting them (or got one)
  2. 2. If you get such dreams, what kind of catastrophe is it?

• Tsunami
    • Earthquake
    • Fire
    • War
    • End of the world
    • Alien invasion
    • Other (please specify)
    • N/A

Owledge,

please do not derail my poll. I didn't create it to find out what you think about the holocaust. If you have been called by the spirit to tell the world, do start your own thread.

Cat and Suninmyeyes,

those are pretty impressive premonitions. In fact, things like the ones you describe should cause a major re-evaluation of any worldview that does not allow for shamanic sciences.

What about you Tao Meow? What prompted you to ask?

I dreamed of a tsunami a couple of nights before I asked -- it's unusual for me to get this kind of a dream, so I wanted to see if the collective dream-consciousness contains any clues as to why I had it. The dream was a fractal-like one and I discerned meanings on several levels:

1. The most mundane -- I lost track of my pillow in my sleep and was sleeping in an awkward position, pressing the top of my head into the headboard at an angle that was straining my neck. In my dream, a great big green-tinted, and actually very beautiful, tsunami wave came from the ocean and submerged the town. I live a mile away from the ocean in real life, and the setting was absolutely realistic -- but the house is on a steep hill above the ocean, the whole mile goes up and up, so any tsunami that would reach it would be an extinction level event, to say nothing of the fact that we never get them to begin with.

In my dream, Water had pity on me and the wave curved at the bottom as it reached my dwelling, creating an air pocket where I could stay and wait it out, but in a very uncomfortable cramped-up position, with a strained neck and with awareness of all the weight of millions of tons of the ocean above my head.

2. An explicit birth memory dream. If I get one of those, it's a sign I'm stressed out at a deep level in excess of mundane everyday stress, or else am about to embark on some new and uncharted territory in my life, or both.

3. A larger context -- a sense of the world being "flooded" with forces it can neither control nor contain (not necessarily actual water, a "flow of novelty" as Terence McKenna would put it, of a dangerous kind).

4. A still larger context -- the ocean is mighty pissed (what happened in Japan is one recent reason, out of many) and won't contain its emotions for much longer.

5. A still larger one -- it's Time itself, sweeping-away time, some different kind, Time swelling like a tsunami wave, pregnant with a cleanse or with wrath, or both.

That's what prompted me to ask. :)

Months or maybe an year before 2012 movie, I dreamed a huge tsunami. In my dream/vision I was on a cliff in a ancient greek or italian city. The city was actually built on the cliff with white buildings like the ones you can see in the mediteranean shores. The people were dressed in white robes like those in greek antiquity. People were horrified by a spectacular view in the sky. It was during the dusk, the sky had purple and orange tones and the sea was blue, I saw in the sky two huge planets that were closing each other but not yet collided, actually it was like one eclipsed the other. One planet was red like we see Mars depicted and the other was grey like the Moon, but they were huge, very close to the Earth. We couldn't observe much the scenery because from the sea approached a huge tsunami, like those portrayed in the movie, probably triggered by the gravitational forces of the planets. In that moment I thought "This is it! This is the end!". People were running but I stayed watching the tsunami approaching, there was no way where to run or hide, until it hit me and I woke up.

Another dream: I heard a huge noise and it was a planet or an asteroid approaching just above my head, and again I thought: Finally it has come! Then I woke up and I figured out it was a truck on the street that made that noise and I created that dream.

@steam

It is amazing how creative and inventive our minds can be during sleep. I once dreamt a scene that could have been taken from a thriller movie, with spy agent stuff. Never seen like that anywhere, and it was clearly fictitious ... but pretty good.

BTW recently I am consciously trying to 'get stuff done' during sleep, and I am dreaming illogical stuff most of the time. Not confused, but very much reality-based, but with people doing or saying stuff that has very little connection to what is happening. Like being in a plane that was landing right after the airstrip, with gear up, and there were mats (!) where it was sliding on, and when it came to a halt and we had exited the plane, I asked the pilot "Landing gear malfunctioned?" and he said something like: Yeah, the soil is contaminated." :wacko:

Edited by Owledge

Please sift through your dreams and help me put a certain two and two together... :)

I used to get dreams of a nuclear war when I first learned about the atomic and hydrogen bombs as a kid. Learning about the a and h bombs has scared me and made me uneasy, and my dreams reflected that for a time. After a while I got used to the idea, and thought of it as more of a mundane and even theoretical detail that's largely irrelevant in day to day life. And I stopped dreaming of nuclear wars for the most part (99.999%). There was exactly one exception when I had an interesting spiritual experience around early 20's. In that experience I walked into a nuclear blast column on purpose. I wouldn't classify it as a dream. It was an experience. I wasn't dreaming, but rather, having a vision while meditating on the floor in my room.

Results so far:

Do you get catastrophe dreams?

1. Never (5 votes [17.86%])
  2. Once or twice I had them (12 votes [42.86%])
  3. I get them regularly (6 votes [21.43%])
  4. I never used to, but recently I started getting them (or got one) (5 votes [17.86%])

If you get such dreams, what kind of catastrophe is it?

1. Tsunami (5 votes [11.11%])
  2. Earthquake (3 votes [6.67%])
  3. Fire (2 votes [4.44%])
  4. War (7 votes [15.56%])
  5. End of the world (12 votes [26.67%])
  6. Alien invasion (5 votes [11.11%])
  7. Other (please specify) (6 votes [13.33%])
  8. N/A (5 votes [11.11%])

So, people who answered "never" constitute under 18% of the respondents, i.e. over 82% do get such dreams. This makes catastrophe dreams absolutely archetypal for the human race as represented by TTB.

A numerical tidbit that caught my eye -- % of tsunami, alien invasion, and N/A responses each came up to 11.11 (another archetype), fire to 4.44, and possibly of interest "other" to 13.33.

Do mine count as post apocalyptic? :lol:

I had one hardcore post apocalyptic dream with robots and companies working hard to rebuild everything

even at the cost of people's lives

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN

So, people who answered "never" constitute under 18% of the respondents, i.e. over 82% do get such dreams. This makes catastrophe dreams absolutely archetypal for the human race as represented by TTB.

This poll doesn't have mandatory/representative-selective participation. It can, for example, be assumed that those who never had those dreams are less interested in participating.

A numerical tidbit that caught my eye -- % of tsunami, alien invasion, and N/A responses each came up to 11.11 (another archetype), fire to 4.44, and possibly of interest "other" to 13.33.

Well, you chose to re-post the results at the point where those appeared. It's a simple mathematical phenomenon in cases where a 100 is split into fractions that those kinds of numbers appear. Once there's one number like that, there will most likely be many.

P.S.: I don't know whether you noticed (probably did on some level), but your current number of posts is 3333. :lol:

Edited by Owledge

This poll doesn't have mandatory/representative-selective participation. It can, for example, be assumed that those who never had those dreams are less interested in participating.

Well, you chose to re-post the results at the point where those appeared. It's a simple mathematical phenomenon in cases where a 100 is split into fractions that those kinds of numbers appear. Once there's one number like that, there will most likely be many.

P.S.: I don't know whether you noticed (probably did on some level), but your current number of posts is 3333. :lol:

Thanks. I didn't notice it. Now I also notice that I happened to submit post No. 3333 at 11.01. Believe me I didn't "choose" any of this -- IT chose to get posted AT THIS MOMENT. :ninja:

As for assuming that those who never get these dreams are less interested in participating -- why, it may have been true in a totally impersonal setting (the unrealistic one "scientific" studies create on purpose -- the purpose being to distort reality), but here, they might participate simply because I asked them to nicely, and they know that when THEY ask me nicely I am likely to respond just because nice people have asked, regardless of my level of interest in the subject matter.

So what's so special about 11:01? Come on, if you want to do Twilight Zone stuff, at least do it right! :lol:

( I'll PM you some stuff and show you how it's done. B):P )

So what's so special about 11:01? Come on, if you want to do Twilight Zone stuff, at least do it right! :lol:

( I'll PM you some stuff and show you how it's done. B):P )

I'm not doing it wrong just because you didn't see what I was doing. (OK, just on the surface, 11.01 has something to do with 3333 -- have you noticed?.. You can start familiarizing yourself with numerology with a neat little book titled Math for Mystics -- from there sky's the limit if you chose to get into more esoteric and fascinating sources. I've never seen Twilight Zone -- what's that about?)

Well, I just meant that if you start adding up numbers from everywhere, the unlikeliness factor of the occurence decreases. The broader the range of possibilities, the easier it is to find synchronicity.

Sometimes it seems like I'm haunted by it. If I disregard more likely occurences, they might come back in greater strength. :lol:

I can't think of any such dream. Although i've been visited for pyschic sex in dreams, which continued on into the waking world. Life is good, at times - amazing.

Closest thing i've had to a catastrophe was just being swallowed by the sea, no one else was hurt, though. *Shrugs*

I had a dream where I was going down into the sea with a friend, and she was afraid, so I parted the water.

I get tsunami dreams with frequency. Had one the other day, the tsunami was busting in the windows. I kind of like them, hope they are opportunity as well as crisis; I believe all dreams are positive if I find the real interpretation (not counting the myoclonic twitch stuff that occurs in hypnogogia, which is apparently not really dreams- see Wikipedia under hypnic jerk).