Sign in to follow this  
ChiDragon

Feng Shui

The idea way for "Yang Dwelling" is to have the door facing South. In the other hand, for "Yin Dwelling" is to have the front of the tomb facing West. However, not all houses can be facing South. The houses facing in different directions will affect the life of the owner based on one's birthday. That is why a Feng Shui master was called to investigate to make improvements to correct the geomancy condition for the owner.

The Flying Stars method is another method, but not the only method of Feng Shui, used to rearrange the furnitures every year for a particular owner based on one's birthday.

Interesting. Any resources on how to work this out?

Also, how do I find out all the different elements and animals related to time/day/month/year?

So, of course all those fixed-arrangement schools are bogus. Also all those "intuitive FS" deals. You do develop much intuitive understanding of these things AFTER you've worked for years with the form-compass approach, not before. You can't intuit everything all cosmic energies focused on a place are up to. Not even all terrestrial ones. Not even all man-made ones. There's a lot to perceive there... the best intuitives perceive some of it, but they may well miss the bulk of it, which is what real FS does not miss.

There heavens above heavens and human above humans. One can consider lucky if even a shard of something what is useable one can get into the hand and make the best possible use of the moment.

You talk about real FS can you recommend real sources? Book,Media, Websites?

Also this statement says that you have been come into touch of the real FS. :)

• Like 1

1. Interesting. Any resources on how to work this out?

2. Also, how do I find out all the different elements and animals related to time/day/month/year?

1. I have many resources written in Chinese, I will search something similar in English for you if there is any online. If not, I can translate my source just for your interest and curiosity.

2. There tons of charts in Chinese. I am sure there maybe some in English. Again, I will do a search for you.

Edited to add:

The animals for the years are very common. You can do a search on "Chinese zodiac calendar".

Edited by ChiDragon

1. I have many resources written in Chinese, I will search something similar in English for you if there is any online. If not, I can translate my source just for your interest and curiosity.

2. There tons of charts in Chinese. I am sure there maybe some in English. Again, I will do a search for you.

Edited to add:

The animals for the years are very common. You can do a search on "Chinese zodiac calendar".

That would be a great addition to this thread, probably to the internet in general. If it works for you, yes, please do! :)

Yes, and thank you for your response.

Jerry Alan Johnston uses the house direction method to some degree as well to ensure that a dwelling is set up as a living "Yang Dwelling" with Green Dragon on the left, rather than as a tomb or "Yin Dwelling" which is set up in the opposite way.

I've also read that this way is more common in Tibet.

HE

I don't know where you get your story from. Tibetans are Buddhism, they do not practice the Taoist religion beliefs.

Tibetan Burials

Edited by ChiDragon

There heavens above heavens and human above humans. One can consider lucky if even a shard of something what is useable one can get into the hand and make the best possible use of the moment.

You talk about real FS can you recommend real sources? Book,Media, Websites?

Also this statement says that you have been come into touch of the real FS. :)

It just came up yesterday or thereabouts:

http://www.thetaobum...ms/page__st__64

As for online sources, there used to be a very good yahoo group (from way back when, before the advent of forums) -- Advanced Feng Shui -- I was a member for years, but I don't know what condition it's in today. It had mountains of references to all manner of resources. If you find it, you'll have enough stuff to dig through for years. The leaders of the pack were rather brutal to the ignorami though, most of the people who haven't done their homework were either ignored or told off rather unceremoniously, not like here. :)

As for my live exposures, I've been lucky to have learned a bit and plan to study more. My understanding of feng shui is that everything you do with dwellings (whether for the living or for the dead) is "applied feng shui," huge in and of itself, but there's also "theoretical" feng shui that is the very heart of taoist sciences -- all of them -- of which applied feng shui is one... I've done a bit of that... I can fly the stars on my fingers with my eyes closed, and I do have (and use) a luopan with 21 rings, of which I understand about half to date...:)... also know a bit of space-clearing FS which you cited from your experience -- good stuff! -- and use an array of tools for that and even make them.

Taomeow...

What is the purpose of Feng Shui in the first place....???

What would you tell someone who has no knowledge about Fen Shui...???

As for online sources, there used to be a very good yahoo group (from way back when, before the advent of forums) -- Advanced Feng Shui -- I was a member for years, but I don't know what condition it's in today. It had mountains of references to all manner of resources. If you find it, you'll have enough stuff to dig through for years. The leaders of the pack were rather brutal to the ignorami though, most of the people who haven't done their homework were either ignored or told off rather unceremoniously, not like here. :)

This one ?

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/TradFengShui/?v=1&t=directory&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=dir&slk=1

Taomeow...

What is the purpose of Feng Shui in the first place....???

What would you tell someone who has no knowledge about Fen Shui...???

Thanks for asking... Before I answer, I'd like to tell a FS story that contains part of the answer in its most dramatic form.

In the year 2001, I was studying and trying to apply feng shui full throttle, with little sympathy from the family and friends, because nobody in my immediate environment "believed" in this "BS." So, one day my husband's company dissolved and he found himself out of work for the first time in his life, and it scared him briefly, to the point that he agreed I do some job-success FS rearrangements in the house. Next, head hunters descended on him like a swarm of flies, everybody wanted him (he's a top notch software developer and the market was strong at the time, so, no miracles there yet). He went to a few interviews, got three serious offers, narrowed down to two, and the two were hard to choose from, both had big advantages and big disadvantages. One was an easy commute, a good position, more money. The other one was a tough commute, a great position, a bit less money but a promise of the kind of bonuses that would dwarf the first one if materialized but were a gamble, not a certainty. He was leaning toward the first one.

I did FS readings for both. The second one looked fine. The first, for reasons I didn't understand at the time, looked absolutely disastrous. I told him so, and convinced him that whatever he decides, whatever was wrong with that position should be counteracted with a FS remedy (a time-sensitive strategically placed one), and installed one. He was surprised that as soon as I did the people who wanted him for that position and used to call several times a day urging him to make his decision fast, like right this second, suddenly stopped calling, stopped returning his calls, and all but disappeared. Well, that settles it then, he shrugged and took the second position. His first day on the job was in the first week of September, 2001, just as it would have been with the other job.

The other job, the one I averted with my FS, was on the 101st floor of the World Trade Center. There were no survivors on that floor on September 11.

• Like 1

The other job, the one I averted with my FS, was on the 101st floor of the World Trade Center. There were no survivors on that floor on September 11.

So you have lengthen the life of your husband or is karma. Where can one place the knowledge of Feng Shui?

So you have lengthen the life of your husband or is karma. Where can one place the knowledge of Feng Shui?

Karma is a borrowing from buddhism and not an original taoist concept. The original taoist concept is luck. Luck, in the classics, is threefold -- celestial, terrestrial, and human. Celestial luck is written in the stars and can't be changed. An example of that is your being born a boy or a girl, a younger or an an older brother or sister to another kid in the family, Chinese or Irish, and so on. Terrestrial luck can be changed partially -- you are born to a certain terrestrial position that may be subject to your conscious efforts to either maintain it or to change it, and these efforts may be ignorant in which case your luck might worsen, or educated or even wise in which case it can improve. And, of course the bulk of your influence on your luck lies in the realm of human luck. Here you have a say in your destiny.

Feng shui gives you more say in your destiny. Or in those of others if you work for others, the way traditional feng shui masters always did. So, the knowledge of feng shui is the knowledge of luck as a force of nature. People are no strangers to adjusting their actions to forces of nature -- we wear clothes and shoes against cold, build shelters from the storm, etc., don't we? Feng shui can be viewed as part of this process of adjustments, but on a more profound, not immediately obvious (like cold on your skin or rain on your head) deeper level of nature's functioning in our lives.

But then there's taoist sages. Cultivators of the different order of comprehension and participation. These can change even celestial luck. It can't possibly be every FS practitioner's goal, much like winning the Nobel prize can't be a realistic goal for ALL scientists... ^_^:)

• Like 2

Taomeow...

Based on what you did for your husband, it sounded like you did a divination for his job finding. It did not sound like a Feng Shui evaluation. Thus you got me wondering about what your definition of Feng shui really is....!!!

Edited by ChiDragon

what do you recomend as a started for feng shui? cause i have seen bad stuff come from the black hat sect of feng shui and i really dont believe that placing my sofa a certain way can increase wealth.

but your feng shui seems different taomeow i would like to leanr more about it.

Thanks

Karma is a borrowing from buddhism and not an original taoist concept. The original taoist concept is luck. Luck, in the classics, is threefold -- celestial, terrestrial, and human. Celestial luck is written in the stars and can't be changed.

Thank you, Taomeow for your enlightening explanation of Feng Shui. I find it very interesting because it seems so much in line with much of the work I do at the energetic level.

Your description of luck is very helpful too. A few months ago, I was doing energetic work for a friend's client who has brain cancer. After connecting to her and completing my work, I told my associate, in not so many words, "She has Chinese bad luck." That was the first time I'd ever come across that kind of "luck" weakness. Yes, there was karma to clear but even after we had cleared the karma there was just this feeling of a weakness at the level of luck that could not be corrected.

Now, it seems that in the West, we rely too much on a superficial understanding of Feng Shui. It's worth noting because the energy in a room, building, or location can be corrected directly without moving objects. It's also not necessary to be present physically in the location to feel the weak energy or to perform the energetic corrections.

Your story, of course, illustrates this perfectly.

• Like 1

Thank you, Taomeow for your enlightening explanation of Feng Shui. I find it very interesting because it seems so much in line with much of the work I do at the energetic level.

Your description of luck is very helpful too. A few months ago, I was doing energetic work for a friend's client who has brain cancer. After connecting to her and completing my work, I told my associate, in not so many words, "She has Chinese bad luck." That was the first time I'd ever come across that kind of "luck" weakness. Yes, there was karma to clear but even after we had cleared the karma there was just this feeling of a weakness at the level of luck that could not be corrected.

Now, it seems that in the West, we rely too much on a superficial understanding of Feng Shui. It's worth noting because the energy in a room, building, or location can be corrected directly without moving objects. It's also not necessary to be present physically in the location to feel the weak energy or to perform the energetic corrections.

Your story, of course, illustrates this perfectly.

Thanks for the great feedback, Clarity.

Yes, the problem of "bad luck" for some folks is very real... bad luck which in other modalities might be called karma, but karma is judgmental and presupposes wrongdoings in the past and thus makes it sort of unnecessary to feel compassion or help the individual --

while "bad luck" is just a non-judgmental statement of a fact, no one presumes to know "why" someone is born under the unlucky stars/adverse qi (unless he or she is spiritually equipped to truly investigate and uproot the causes),

but the understanding is that it may be wrongdoings in the past as one possible scenario, psychic attacks by malevolent entities as another, a curse on the individual, family, clan, or nation, spiritual battles lost to a powerful adversary, non-content and therefore non-helping ancestors (e.g. ones who died a violent death and didn't get a proper and restful burial), and on and on. In other words, "bad luck" may have causes but taoist understanding precludes one from pointing a self-righteous finger at the affected individual, withholding compassion, gloating, and so on. BIG difference from what I've seen some folks do who are enamored with the idea of "karma equals your fault." And, of course, this taoist position sanctions a proactive approach, not a fatalistic one. Bad luck should be corrected when possible, to the extent possible, and there's nothing wrong with working in that direction and nothing right with just "accepting" it. You don't passively accept punishment for crimes you may or may not have committed in other incarnations. You try to do and be good in this one. Good feng shui helps with that.

• Like 1

Taomeow...

Based on what you did for your husband, it sounded like you did a divination for his job finding. It did not sound like a Feng Shui evaluation. Thus you got me wondering about what your definition of Feng shui really is....!!!

You jump to unwarranted conclusions. I did what??.. I did no such thing as a "divination for his job finding." I took compass measurements and a sketch of the position of the house we lived in and both places of work under consideration, superimposed the nine palaces, did xuan kong calculations, determined the position of the monthly and yearly stars. I determined the position of the beneficial and adverse qi phases in relation to my husband's wuxing type and ming gua. I found the location of the Grand Duke in relation to the two job places. I determined that there's a 5 Yellow in a deadly overlap with the 2 in the Southeast from where we lived, and a Fire-Metal clash (my husband's phase is Metal) in the same location in the same period. I detected a Poison Arrow straight between our home in NJ and the location of the purported new work place that was the WTC. All in all, I saw a feng shui disaster in the making, nothing positive in the layout of qi of the moment. I remedied with a Strong Water and Strong Wood installations in the 2-5 intersection in the house, and moved his sleeping position away from the Poison Arrow. Is what I did. (Perhaps more, I don't remember by now, it's been over a decade). You call it "divination?" Whatever. Just don't call me late for dinner.

• Like 3

what do you recomend as a started for feng shui? cause i have seen bad stuff come from the black hat sect of feng shui and i really dont believe that placing my sofa a certain way can increase wealth.

but your feng shui seems different taomeow i would like to leanr more about it.

Thanks

See my post #33 in this thread (with the link to another post answering the same question), you could start there.

Moving the sofa is not likely to increase wealth (and everything else black sect has to offer is not likely to work any other way than, maybe, as a placebo in some cases -- anything can be a placebo). But if your ming gua and your sleeping position don't follow the rules of real good classical form-compass FS, chances are your sleep is not as peaceful and healthy as it could be if you moved it in one of your auspicious directions. (These are individual and fall into 2 major groups, East gua and West gua, with 4 good and 4 bad directions for each, and one "perfect" sleeping position for each. If your room allows for this kind of rotation of your bed, and you place it so the top of your head points to your perfect sleeping gua, you will notice the difference the very first night. Of course someone who is intrinsically lucky already has his or her bed in this position. Already lives in a home that is perfectly compatible with him or her feng shui-wise. And the opposite is also true. Someone who is unlucky already dwells in the house that will make it worse -- unless he or she wakes up to real feng shui possibilities, which, in a maddening vicious/benevolent circle, is more likely to happen to someone who already has some luck for this to happen. I've seen it many times. Bad luck sprouts more bad luck, good luck invites more good luck. All the more reason to discourage bad luck wherever possible and encourage the good kind.)

• Like 3

Also, how do I find out all the different elements and animals related to time/day/month/year?

The Chinese Calendar is a complicated history to piece together...

Chinese years are classified according to 10 "Heavenly Stems" and 12 "Earthly Branches and what is referred to as The Sexagenary Cycle. You can google these phrases.

Chinese Calendar - wiki

Thanks for the great feedback, Clarity.

Yes, the problem of "bad luck" for some folks is very real... bad luck which in other modalities might be called karma, but karma is judgmental and presupposes wrongdoings in the past and thus makes it sort of unnecessary to feel compassion or help the individual --

while "bad luck" is just a non-judgmental statement of a fact, no one presumes to know "why" someone is born under the unlucky stars/adverse qi (unless he or she is spiritually equipped to truly investigate and uproot the causes),

but the understanding is that it may be wrongdoings in the past as one possible scenario, psychic attacks by malevolent entities as another, a curse on the individual, family, clan, or nation, spiritual battles lost to a powerful adversary, non-content and therefore non-helping ancestors (e.g. ones who died a violent death and didn't get a proper and restful burial), and on and on. In other words, "bad luck" may have causes but taoist understanding precludes one from pointing a self-righteous finger at the affected individual, withholding compassion, gloating, and so on. BIG difference from what I've seen some folks do who are enamored with the idea of "karma equals your fault."

I should probably mention, when I say 'karma' to clear, it's not what people typically think of karma in the West. In order to do the work I do, there has to be no judgement or there's no neutrality.

Karma is not fate or destiny or doing wrong things alone. It's an uneven energy. That energy often manifests as "I owe you, you owe me, or payback, revenge, getting even and score to settle." The weird thing about karma is the weakening effect does not have to come from one's own personal karma. It can come from the past, present, or future; it can come from our ancestors, descendants, our spiritual experiences, our multiple personalities, or the collective human karma. Karma is more like the consequences of action and reaction and has a kind of sticky energy to it.

So there's no judgement, no gloating, no blame.

Having said all this, I agree that people tend to misinterpret the real meaning of karma.

Mind you, I did not grow up believing in karma, but it comes up at the energetic level a lot.

I should probably mention, when I say 'karma' to clear, it's not what people typically think of karma in the West. In order to do the work I do, there has to be no judgement or there's no neutrality.

Karma is not fate or destiny or doing wrong things alone. It's an uneven energy. That energy often manifests as "I owe you, you owe me, or payback, revenge, getting even and score to settle." The weird thing about karma is the weakening effect does not have to come from one's own personal karma. It can come from the past, present, or future; it can come from our ancestors, descendants, our spiritual experiences, our multiple personalities, or the collective human karma. Karma is more like the consequences of action and reaction and has a kind of sticky energy to it.

So there's no judgement, no gloating, no blame.

Having said all this, I agree that people tend to misinterpret the real meaning of karma.

Mind you, I did not grow up believing in karma, but it comes up at the energetic level a lot.

Clarity...

I think your nickname says all....:)

When we are talking about Feng Shui, normally(I repeat normally) applies to a residence which affects the head of the household(HOH). The direction which way the house should be facing is very important to the HOH. When one is going to buy a house, his birth year was used to determine which way his house will be facing.

Using the birth year of the HOH to calculate a number, then look up the number on the Nine Palace(Luo Shu) Chart and the Later Day Ba Gua to determine the facing direction of the house and what kind of ming(命) the owner has.

How is the number calculated from the birth year...???

Let's use one of the example in one of my sources. The head of house was born in 1957.

There are few ways to calculate the number for determining what the direction of the front door of the house should be facing. I will illustrate two of them.

1. The remainder method.

We take the last two digits of the birth year of the male and subtracted from 100 then divide it by 9. The remainder is the number that we want to use to locate on the Luo Shu Nine Palace Chart.

If the head of household is a male:

100 - 57 = 43

43/9, the remainder is 7.

The calculated number, 7, is located on the West of the Luo Shu. It means that the front door should be facing East and the back of the house is on the West side. It was said to be the house of Dui(兌, Swamp).

If the HOH is a female:

57 - 4 = 53

53/9, the remainder is 8.

The calculated number, 8, is located on the Northeast corner of the Luo Shu. It means that the front door should be facing Southwest and the back of the house is on the Northeast side. It was said to be the house of Gen(艮, Mountain).

The Nine Palace Chart(Luo Shu, 河圖)

loshu-no.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later Day(Heaven) Ba Gua (後天八卦)

Bagua_Life.jpg

Edited by ChiDragon

2. The simple method to convert the Western Calender Year(WCY) to Lunar Year(LY).

1957, we add up all the digits of the WCY:

1 + 9 + 5 + 7 = 22, then

2 + 2 = 4

For male, subtract the number from 11:

11 - 4 = 7

For female, add 4 to the number:

4 + 4 = 8

Again, look up those numbers on the Luo Shu and the Later Day Ba Gua.

Edited by ChiDragon

Sign in to follow this