Astral_Anima

Navel chakra, kidneys, full lotus

For a spiritual forum there appears to be quite a few bruised I's and egos over such simple comments. Cool stuff.

There does appear to be at least one, mantis. :)

• Like 2

For a spiritual forum there appears to be quite a few bruised I's and egos over such simple comments. Cool stuff. :rolleyes:

It's a process of elimination. That's what makes this site better then others. Keeping it real. Tell me who u really are and tell me how u really feel and keep the "namaste" and "kumbaya" to yourself.

• Like 2

It's a process of elimination. That's what makes this site better then others. Keeping it real. Tell me who u really are and tell me how u really feel and keep the "namaste" and "kumbaya" to yourself.

I wholeheartedly agree, orb :)

• Like 1

Chunyi Lin says that 20 minutes of full lotus is equal to 4 hours of any other type of meditation. haha

I DARE you to test this out for yourself instead of taking Drew's word for it. In fact, how about you do Spring Forest Level 1 for 4 hours (doing the seated meditations, say, sitting on a chair) and compare it to 20 minutes of full lotus doing no particular meditative technique. Then you will know how absurd the notion that Chunyi Lin actually said that is.

• Like 1

I DARE you to test this out for yourself instead of taking Drew's word for it. In fact, how about you do Spring Forest Level 1 for 4 hours (doing the seated meditations, say, sitting on a chair) and compare it to 20 minutes of full lotus doing no particular meditative technique. Then you will know how absurd the notion that Chunyi Lin actually said that is.

I think what Chunyi Lin was probably saying is that once somebody has been practicing SFQ for a while - and has built up a lot of energy - that 20 minutes of Full Lotus Small Universe would be just as powerful as 4 hours sitting in a chair. Because the Full Lotus activates the Small Universe on its own.

I think what Chunyi Lin was probably saying is that once somebody has been practicing SFQ for a while - and has built up a lot of energy - that 20 minutes of Full Lotus Small Universe would be just as powerful as 4 hours sitting in a chair. Because the Full Lotus activates the Small Universe on its own.

I agree that whatever Mr. Lin actually said to Drew that Drew somehow morphed into what he always claims was probably an instruction for advanced practitioners.

Actually, what FL may or may not do, i'm sick of searching the web for good stretches to be able to sit this way, I'm hoping it would be more comfortable than a chair once I have the inner thighs loose.

Unfortunatly I asked my Half Chinease half Korean friends if they knew how to get into the position, but they didn't know what it was!

So I showed them a picture on Google, they both broke out laughing, easily moved their legs into the position for the first time after seeing it on the Google, and lifted themselves up with their arms and started walking around laughing so hard. They thought it was the funniest thing for some reason. I KNOW those guys never had to stretch to get into that position. I wonder if being asian makes it easier. Damn being a round eye J/k :lol:

Actually, what FL may or may not do, i'm sick of searching the web for good stretches to be able to sit this way, I'm hoping it would be more comfortable than a chair once I have the inner thighs loose.

Unfortunatly I asked my Half Chinease half Korean friends if they knew how to get into the position, but they didn't know what it was!

So I showed them a picture on Google, they both broke out laughing, easily moved their legs into the position for the first time after seeing it on the Google, and lifted themselves up with their arms and started walking around laughing so hard. They thought it was the funniest thing for some reason. I KNOW those guys never had to stretch to get into that position. I wonder if being asian makes it easier. Damn being a round eye J/k :lol:

Here are some of the good ones:

[as far as I am concerned, the 'double pigeon' stretch he showed is the crucial lotus prep stretch...]

And this is good as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWm6CK6lm3M

Good Luck :)

Edited by Seth Ananda
  • Like 1

There definitely is an "asian factor." I used to work with a Vietnamese guy who's now 50 (49 at the time), smokes, drinks, has a belly, etc. I was stunned at the fact that he could squat down so deep while maintaining himself perfectly upright (the asian squat, basically). When I tried to do it although I can squat all the way down and keep my heels on the floor I cannot maintain the same upright posture as he could. He asked me if I could do the full lotus and I did, with about 10% of the ease he performed it with.

This guy doesn't stretch, exercise, watch his diet, nothing, and he's more flexible than a guy that is unreasonably flexible. My mind was blown.

I later went to Vietnam with the aforementioned Vietnamese guy and lo and behold, damn near everyone in Vietnam spends 95% of their day in the squatting position.

• Like 1

It's not our race cause western children usually have that kind of flexibility as well. It's something about our lifestyle. I wager that it's the overeating and high protein, high grain diet of americans. Also you could blame it on our rediculous medical system too. A big part of TCM is herbs, acupunture etc, remember that the kidneys are the most important system in TCM theory. rejuevenate the kindeys/adrenals and I believe flexibility will not be an issue. I wasn't able to get into full lotus until I started fasting and a fruit diet.

Think about it...what causes us to be "inflexible" anyway? Until we address the cause we will never properly conclude a solution. It is my theory that weakened kidneys and adrenals prevent proper mineral utilization and hydration, both of which majorly impact flexibility. Of course I'm sure there's other factors but either way, I believe kidney/adrenal health is critical for flexibility. I agree, it's possible to achieve full lotus without spending weeks/months/years practicing stretches, but one has to identify what is inhibiting them from being flexible and remove it, instead of trying to force their body into it. Firepath/waterpath.

Instead of trying to break down a door that has been locked, why not just unlock it? ;)

-Astral

It's not our race cause western children usually have that kind of flexibility as well. It's something about our lifestyle. I wager that it's the overeating and high protein, high grain diet of americans. Also you could blame it on our rediculous medical system too. A big part of TCM is herbs, acupunture etc, remember that the kidneys are the most important system in TCM theory. rejuevenate the kindeys/adrenals and I believe flexibility will not be an issue. I wasn't able to get into full lotus until I started fasting and a fruit diet.

Think about it...what causes us to be "inflexible" anyway? Until we address the cause we will never properly conclude a solution. It is my theory that weakened kidneys and adrenals prevent proper mineral utilization and hydration, both of which majorly impact flexibility. Of course I'm sure there's other factors but either way, I believe kidney/adrenal health is critical for flexibility. I agree, it's possible to achieve full lotus without spending weeks/months/years practicing stretches, but one has to identify what is inhibiting them from being flexible and remove it, instead of trying to force their body into it. Firepath/waterpath.

Instead of trying to break down a door that has been locked, why not just unlock it? ;)

-Astral

I concur!

Hey all,

So I think I'm starting to see a "link" in meditation, energy and health. So i'm going to post some ideas and i'm just curious on people's thoughts.

1.) I've heard that the chakras all correlate with the endocrine glands. Has anyone heard about this? For example the throat chakra would be th thyroid, brow would be pituitary, heart - thymus, sacral - adrenals, etc etc.

2.) If the above is true, I've also read that the sacral or navel chakra is where physical vitality manifests or is stored. If this energy center correlates with the adrenals glands and the kidney system of TCM (which also includes the adrenal glands). I've heard such theories that say one must have super strong kidneys cause they store chi.

3.) Assuming further that the above two are true, Kidneys have the function of filtering lymph and thus acids. Those with strong kidneys are naturally more flexible and can hold positions longer than those with weaker kdineys. It is my unprofessional opinion that the reason children are so flexible is because their kidneys are still strong an yet unburdened by modern lifestyle and eating habbits. HOWEVER it's well known that certain masters require one to be able to sit in full lotus or horse stance for lengthy periods of time. They say that you must have open channels to be able to do this, and that sitting in full lotus or in horse stance for many hours proves that one's energy channel are open.

Could this also be a way to test kidney strength? If the kidneys are weak then the lactic acid buildup would cause one to collapse if in horse stance or to come out of lotus. Thus if the kidneys are not strong enough then that would indicate that they wouldn't be able to store much energy, assuming the kidneys energetically are responsible for energy storage. Also if you look at the funtion of the adrenal glands, namely carbohydrate metabolism...if the glucose isn't being metabolized, if you have adrenal fatique, you have no energy or chi.

So assuming there some truth to the above, would not strengthening the kidneys/adrenals be a way not only to increase flexibility but to increase chi and chi storage capacity? In TCM the kidneys are always emphasized as the most important system and I"ve always wondered why. Could this be one of the reasons?

I know when I started fasting and a fruit diet I could see the kidneys in my iris becoming stronger and noticed I could sit in full lotus for much longer and was generally much more flexible. However I found it funny that my right kidney was weaker than my left and the limbs on the right side of my body were less flexible than the left.

What are your thoughts?

-Astral

EDIT: Also, could this have a link as to why ejaculation for males messes up our energy? Could it have to do with the kidney energy? Might it weaken the kidneys temporarily, thus hindering one's ability to store chi? Is that why celibacy or non-ejaculatory methods are necessary for certain training (MCO)?

Here's smtg interesting:

It was said by my Chinese TCM professor that if a person can stand in this yoga posture for at least one minute it can be said this person might have very strong kidneys: http://images.agoramedia.com/everydayhealth/gcms/photogallery_morning_yoga_poses_06_full.jpg

The kidneys being connected to the ears also give you your sense of balance. ;)

Also the kidneys have very interesting harmonic relationships with all the other organs from a TCM POV.

Also (also.. :P) very important when it comes to aging is the calcification of joints and ligaments, which can make one inflexible as we age.. In TCM the marrow has to do with kidneys and calcium is essential in bone health. The kidneys and the liver both have "the same source" principle.

Also interesting is that out of all the fruits the ones that are most detoxing are the "acidic" fruits (which when consume can also be very alkalizing like lemons)... Though I would be cautious about eating too much of the really sweet fruits ie dates bananas etc.

What is also interesting is that semen uses fructose for mobility of the sperm. Sweet foods tonify, with an emphasis also on the spleen but not in excess of course. The book by Paul Pitchford called Healing with Whole Foods comes to mind. Sometimes it can be outdated but it's the definitive source on the subject of TCM food therapy.

Edited by Spirit of the Tiger